• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Good video Scotty shows how to track down a overheating problem without just throwing parts at it.
Videos like this are Gold for do it yourself peeps!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
He does wave his arms around a lot now that you mention it, but old Scotty's saved me so much money over the past few years he gets a pass!.

He answered a comment about that the other day.

"Scotty, why do you wave your arm around like you're having a seizure?"

"Because it's more interesting than (then he went all limp and monotone) talking like this."

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I think satisfaction would be the greatest reason for fixing your own vehicle. Knowing one has the capability's to fix anything is a comfort cause having to depend on others just plain sucks.
Yessir, it also puts you more "in touch" with the nuances while driving IME.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The guys informative but hard to watch, I mean, is he Italian with all the arm movements or a recovering crack user...or both? He cannot sit still. JMO.
I think he has ADD type personality and he's very passionate. He also amps up his presentation for WW broadcast. My favorites are when he's sitting at his desk and answering questions cause he doesn't talk so loud and is more subdued. The pictures he adds are priceless. He's got a great sense of humor,

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Yessir, it also puts you more "in touch" with the nuances while driving IME.
Yep. I trust the gauges because I personally put the radiator, thermostat, water pump, serp belt, hoses, oil pressure sensor, fuel pump assembly and alternator on the damn thing!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Well folks I installed my fuel injectors and fecked it up!
aroll.gif

Heh, these things happen. I got it all put back together and it would not run, hell it wouldn't even spark. So I went to my friend Tim's shop and asked him to bail me out.
He was happy to do it old Tim's a good mechanic and he tells me how to fix a lot of things myself. When I was installing the new spider I snagged one of the injector tubes on the bracket and that shorted the entire thing out. I have no clue how I did it, buuuuut I am not a professional and I did it.

Now the good thing is I got the part on Amazon so I sent it back for a full refund, and I had already thoroughly cleaned everything inside and outside of the intake and throttle body assembly so Tim charged me minimum labor. And I got new injectors which I needed. The truck runs better than it has in years. When things like fuel injectors slowly go bad over a long time you really don't notice the shitty idle and diminishing power.

You can see in picture #2 the clean metal streaks running down into the intake. That is from injectors # 3 and 5 leaking fuel. There was a clean streak near #2 also. The spider I took out was crispy and stiff and the poppits were barely holding in the ports.

The old girl is running like new now and I should see a good bump in gas mileage.

FI3-2019- (1).JPG
FI3-2019- (2).JPG
FI3-2019- (4).JPG

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well folks I installed my fuel injectors and fecked it up! View attachment 127378

Heh, these things happen. I got it all put back together and it would not run, hell it wouldn't even spark... When I was installing the new spider I snagged one of the injector tubes on the bracket and that shorted the entire thing out. I have no clue how I did it, buuuuut I am not a professional and I did it... Now the good thing is I got the part on Amazon so I sent it back for a full refund...
You make a pretty good case against some poor sap thinking they can eke out a living selling anything on Amazon.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
You make a pretty good case against some poor sap thinking they can eke out a living selling anything on Amazon.
Part was sold and shipped by Amazon or I wouldn't have bought it there. Amazon doesn't care why you are returning something you got 30 days no questions asked. I told them in the return reason I installed it and it didn't work. Had it been a small seller I wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited:

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Best reason I came up with today is you get to spend time with your child making something broke, whole again. Lad and I pulled a motor out of my old[wore out] truck cause it has a clutch that will fit in a '83 we want to get running again as it is solid yet.
Irons I bought a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench 2767-20 that is unfreaking believably strong. Also bought a drill/driver 2606-20 and a 2656-20 1/4" hex impact driver cause they came with 2 battery's and charger for the same price as getting just 2 battery's and charger with the bigger impact wrench. Where the [L] were these frickin toys when I was 20. The lad said when I die he gets them and he ain't asking anyone. LOL
Hadda chuckle when the wife came home and saw an engine hanging off the engine lift and the look on her face when she came over and there was still an engine in the truck. She missed the removal and couldn't figure out where one engine came from.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
just as a fyi, tried to go back to milwaukee from jap stuff a couple of months ago

1/2 cordless drill driver,

running in 3" screws to a double layer floor. After about 300 sq ft, the head came off in my hand.
total junk. Been sitting in the purse it came with since, and me stewing about what to do with the damn thing.
Don't want a replacement as it will just be the same cheap stuff.

still remember the days when I would only buy milwaukee to keep it amerikan. Their stuff is now cheap asian, and it shows.

JMO only for sure, but my tools get worked.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Best reason I came up with today is you get to spend time with your child making something broke, whole again. Lad and I pulled a motor out of my old[wore out] truck cause it has a clutch that will fit in a '83 we want to get running again as it is solid yet.
Irons I bought a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench 2767-20 that is unfreaking believably strong. Also bought a drill/driver 2606-20 and a 2656-20 1/4" hex impact driver cause they came with 2 battery's and charger for the same price as getting just 2 battery's and charger with the bigger impact wrench. Where the [L] were these frickin toys when I was 20. The lad said when I die he gets them and he ain't asking anyone. LOL
Hadda chuckle when the wife came home and saw an engine hanging off the engine lift and the look on her face when she came over and there was still an engine in the truck. She missed the removal and couldn't figure out where one engine came from.
Those little impact drivers are a trip, ain't they? I just have the Black+Decker stuff and still it's light years ahead of the old drill drivers.
I strained the shit out of my right arm tendons driving screws with an old 14.4 drill driver fixing a roof. The little 20v impact driver zings them in like nothing and it's small enough to use under the hood and other places on the truck.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Those little impact drivers are a trip, ain't they? I just have the Black+Decker stuff and still it's light years ahead of the old drill drivers.
I strained the shit out of my right arm tendons driving screws with an old 14.4 drill driver fixing a roof. The little 20v impact driver zings them in like nothing and it's small enough to use under the hood and other places on the truck.

Yeah it's great but now I gotta go buy more attachments.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
just as a fyi, tried to go back to milwaukee from jap stuff a couple of months ago

1/2 cordless drill driver,

running in 3" screws to a double layer floor. After about 300 sq ft, the head came off in my hand.
total junk. Been sitting in the purse it came with since, and me stewing about what to do with the damn thing.
Don't want a replacement as it will just be the same cheap stuff.

still remember the days when I would only buy milwaukee to keep it amerikan. Their stuff is now cheap asian, and it shows.

JMO only for sure, but my tools get worked.
Milwaukee has severed me well. I still have 2 each 1/2 inch drills that are so old that I updated the batteries to Lithium. I have put an entire roof on my home & garage, about 5,000 sq ft plus siding all around & day to day project. They are now just starting to show signs of wear. My Milwaukee battery powered sawzall is still working well, but all of them were built here.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Guys, I been assembling a barn for my son, he is helping, letting him do most of the grunt work. He has a Porter Cable drill driver, both of mine are DeWalt. He was complaining about the batteries not lasting so good. I've never had an issue with the newer li-ion 20v batteries on mine going bad. However, we were talking about where in the world our drivers were made. Mine says right on them, "Made in the USA with global materials" That says to me the whole drill driver could be made in China or somewhere and only assembled in the USA.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
A week, a friggin week to get a gasket set for the ol' 300 6. It's like they want me to quit but I got's more patience than them.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My wife's 2002 Sunfire is on it's last leg at 220,000 miles (never did the water pump fingers crossed)...
Anyway, my youngest son says "Mom, got new cars & we'd like to give you our old one for a Christmas present"
a 2006 Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape almost) 170,000 miles.
Evidently they don't have safety inspection in the people's republic of Illinois!
Anyway project #1 is a front caliper.
What the hell, there is no copper washer for the brake hose! Just pipe thread & pray.
I had to spin the cast iron caliper unto the hose fitting, to thread it in.
It was that or disconnect the brake hose upstream & I didn't want to risk that thing twisting & creating more work.
P1010002.JPG

Christallfuckinmighty..........

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My wife's 2002 Sunfire is on it's last leg at 220,000 miles (never did the water pump fingers crossed)...
Anyway, my youngest son says "Mom, got new cars & we'd like to give you our old one for a Christmas present"
a 2006 Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape almost) 170,000 miles.
Evidently they don't have safety inspection in the people's republic of Illinois!
Anyway project #1 is a front caliper.
What the hell, there is no copper washer for the brake hose! Just pipe thread & pray.
I had to spin the cast iron caliper unto the hose fitting, to thread it in.
It was that or disconnect the brake hose upstream & I didn't want to risk that thing twisting & creating more work. View attachment 128720
Christallfuckinmighty..........
It's called a labor of love...you know; where you want to stay alive.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The Scotty Kilmer channel just passed Top Gear as the most watched car channel on YouTube for the month of April 2019. Thanks to all you guys for the years of support and for making an individual creator have more views than a major media corporation.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So the other day I was working around the house and had plans to drive into town to pay my phone bill and run a few errands. Not leaving myself much spare time I had gone out and started the truck to let it warm up a bit while I filled the slowly leaking tire with a screw in it picked up from a jobsite.

While I was going around and checking tire pressure as the compressor filled up I could smell gas. I didn't think too much of it until I smelled it even stronger a few minutes later. I then glanced down under the door where the fuel filter lives and lo and behold it was leaking like a siv! THe truck was fine when I parked it now gas is pouring out! The car is still down and I started panicking...no parts, phone about to be shut off if I didn't make the payment etc. I shut off the truck and started pacing around trying to relax and think my way through. Fortunately I had some fuel line hose and clamps in the workshop and managed to quickly gather what I needed and got the thing buttoned up with just enough time to make my deadline and "save the day".

WHat was so stressful was that the last time I made the repair, I had to cut the fuel line and slice on the rubber line to fit a non OEM filter and it leaked on and off till I got some gas resistant sealant on the connection, which of course I was out of at this time. What I realized after this recent fix was that one of the hose clamps had bottomed out. I was able to replace it with the next size up this time and get a good bite on it without needing the sealant.

So all in all, the knowledge and confidence of having repaired the issue before, coupled with having a few things in stock turned a potential tow and schedule fark up into a great sense of accomplishment and more confidence.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The Scotty Kilmer channel just passed Top Gear as the most watched car channel on YouTube for the month of April 2019. Thanks to all you guys for the years of support and for making an individual creator have more views than a major media corporation.

I love Scotty, but he has an ego problem. I recently saw a parody video someone did of him and Scotty came and commented all butthurt. It was there that I lerarned he was also trolling Chris-Fix who's channel is MORE THAN TWICE AS POPULAR as Scotty's and he's just a young dude.

Anyway, when I saw this post and it's claims I had to mention the Chris Fix's YT car channel is far more watched than Scotty's and give props where they are due. Here's a recent vid of his. He currently has just under 5 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS. More than double that of Scotty's subs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Here's the parody vid and comment war.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Wifes car needed new cv joints, son was coming down and said he would change them for me since my back is out, Firestone wanted around 700 each , parts cost me 130 each and it took him around 11/2 hours to do each side, dealers are really raping the consumer now.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Firestone wanted around 700 each
I'd never go to a tire or muffler shop for anything but tires & exhaust.
Their business model is to get you in with advertizing, then upsell.

Here's the parody vid and comment war.
Parody is spot on.
Scotty should have given the guy a thumbs up & moved on, instead of making a thing about it.

A lot of these "how to repair your car" youtube guys, start out showing you how to fix cars they are working on, & that is a good thing.
Then they become "monitized" & they start making videos about making videos.
A good example is eric the car guy.

My favorite is the South Main fella.
It's usually an actual customer car repair, & he's not afraid to show you his mistakes as he troubleshoots.