• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Very cool I hope you keep posting your progress here.
Will do, I was already looking at the options for the coating the bumpers after looking at yours. Its one of the few spots on it where there is any rust and I've never been a big chrome fan.

I did refurb the front seats recently before the step; been happy with the results.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
I just love driving this old girl around, lots of times back to places in the woods we first visited 20 years ago.
Early mushrooms are out!

:2 thumbs up:

Jessica-4-2020.jpg
4-2020rs.jpg

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Muttons put that there to tease you. Bad Sheep.

Bad!

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Replaced all the weather stripping on the door frames and doors and replaced the busted passenger side mirror while I was at it. That with the new lock bushings (best $1dollar part ever) the old doors are finally airtight seal quietly and no more annoying rattling while driving.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Fixed my rattling heat shields today, that was a bitch. My car sits so low to the ground you can't use car ramps the plastic in front hits before you even get close to the ramps. I guess you can build up 2x4's to make a gradual ramp but I haven't done that yet. One of the heat shields must have tore loose when I hit a raccoon last summer and lately it got really noisy. Can't imagine why it was lying right on top of the cat! .
aroll.gif

Fixed now. Money saved!

ykatie.JPG

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Fixed my rattling heat shields today, that was a bitch. My car sits so low to the ground you can't use car ramps the plastic in front hits before you even get close to the ramps. I guess you can build up 2x4's to make a gradual ramp but I haven't done that yet. One of the heat shields must have tore loose when I hit a raccoon last summer and lately it got really noisy. Can't imagine why it was lying right on top of the cat! . View attachment 163372

Fixed now. Money saved!

View attachment 163373
Sure, I see the jack stands....
But looking at those jacks with the 4x4 post extensions gives me the heebie jeebies.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Fixed my rattling heat shields today, that was a bitch. My car sits so low to the ground you can't use car ramps the plastic in front hits before you even get close to the ramps. I guess you can build up 2x4's to make a gradual ramp but I haven't done that yet. One of the heat shields must have tore loose when I hit a raccoon last summer and lately it got really noisy. Can't imagine why it was lying right on top of the cat! . View attachment 163372

Fixed now. Money saved!

View attachment 163373
I got too old to be crawling around under a car. I bought myself a Christmas present, now I can walk around under a car...

P1110209.JPG
P1110375.JPG

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Sure, I see the jack stands....
But looking at those jacks with the 4x4 post extensions gives me the heebie jeebies.
I wasn't real hip on crawling under a car with like zero ground clearance either! The wood blocks are the only way to get the damn car high enough to do anything under it. Start with a low profile jack and jack stands and raise it block it raise it block it up until you have some room to work.
But yeah, 2 jack stands on either end and jacks so triple safeties before I went under it. Still freaked my wife out when she saw me under there.

:2 thumbs up:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I love my lift

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
20200430_112215.jpg

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
when I bought my Bronco, the old stereo in place wouldn't power up and was all busted up -- no biggie. I finally got a chance to put in the new stereo I bought yesterday. I took the old one out (wasn't even wired in, somebody had just pushed an old busted one in the hole), wired up my new one -- easy enough. Turned it on and everything worked, power, Bluetooth, microphone, etc; but no sound! I took it out, double checked all my wiring, plugged it and tried again, no sound. I sat there frustrated, finally figured I would check the speakers. I pull off the panels and no speakers! Somebody had removed them all, just wires going nowhere. I guess that would explain it. Got some new speakers this morning, plugged them in and I'm styling... Still gotta decide if I'm gonna wire in the backup camera it came with.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

Fixed now. Money saved!

View attachment 163373
Maybe it's just @glockngold and me but I would feel much safer under that car without those widow maker jacks.

Scratch that. No way in hell I'd get under that with those Jenga traps even within eyesight. No problem with even just one of the stands on each axle, but that setup... Nope.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Speaking of Jacks... figured I would post this here just incase any of you had these:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/33572...ands-that-could-suddenly-collapse?xid=fbshare
Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

if you've got a set of Harbor Freight jack stands somewhere in your garage, stop using them immediately because many of them have just been recalled over pawls that could "disengage from the extension lifting post" under a shift in weight, causing them to suddenly collapse. We feel like this shouldn't have to be said but we'll say it anyway: bad jack stands that could suddenly fall are extremely dangerous and being underneath a car supported by one could very easily result in serious injury or death.

According to Harbor Freight, the recall applies to three-ton and six-ton heavy-duty steel jack stands with item numbers 56371, 61196, and 61197. The number on the three-ton units can be found on the label at the top while the six-ton stands have their numbers printed in the yellow section of the label found on the base.

more at link...

Last edited:

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Got sunburned working on my truck all day yesterday. Installed a new motor for the passenger side window, fixed some loose trim, finally installed front speakers— needed to replace the window motor first, replaced a headlight lamp —high beam was out, touched up the dog tie downs i installed in the back, and started installing the power locks on passenger door, not powered yet. Good times.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got sunburned working on my truck all day yesterday. Installed a new motor for the passenger side window, fixed some loose trim, finally installed front speakers— needed to replace the window motor first, replaced a headlight lamp —high beam was out, touched up the dog tie downs i installed in the back, and started installing the power locks on passenger door, not powered yet. Good times.
I'm threatening to do new pads and rotors today. Already have the parts, just waiting for the right planetary alignment.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm threatening to do new pads and rotors today. Already have the parts, just waiting for the right planetary alignment.
Me too, on the planetary alignment, lol. Getting ready to do a full transmission service, an oil change, and replace all filters. Finally got all the parts and fluids, including a Motive fluid pump with all the fittings for the car. Now, I wait for the alignment.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Me too, on the planetary alignment, lol. Getting ready to do a full transmission service, an oil change, and replace all filters. Finally got all the parts and fluids, including a Motive fluid pump with all the fittings for the car. Now, I wait for the alignment.
Mental preparation is half the battle.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
yeah, I went outside planning on just doing the window motor; but it was so nice outside and the kid was over at his mommoms, so I just keep working until my todo list was almost done.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Planets lined up a little today, changed the oil and filter, air filters, and the biggest PITA, cabin filters. It took me most of an hour to do the cabin filters, had to remove the piece under the glove box and then remove the inside of the glove box where the CD changer is, and all the CD's fell out into pile in the floor. While I worked on the cabin filters, I let the oil completely drain. Tomorrow, I'm doing a full transmission service, including draining the torque converter - 10 liters of high priced German fluid.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sprayer trailer started dog tracking a mite, so I had my two lads and 4 of their buddy's over[one brought his welding truck] and we went to work[I should say they went to work]. First the welder changed 4 pins and announced she is good forever to which I replied, "I doubt it", and after the test drive was proven right. After 10 minutes of them hemming and hawing I told them to take off the tires on the left front axel as I figured that was the problem spot. They fiddled and fucked with u bolts and welded a broken bracket and got the old bitch back in alignment. When asked what I owed them the answer was "Sweet F all". So I brought out a flat of cold beer and 3 hours and another flat of beer they went home.
Payback ain't always a bitch guys.:2 thumbs up:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Planets lined up a little today, changed the oil and filter, air filters, and the biggest PITA, cabin filters. It took me most of an hour to do the cabin filters, had to remove the piece under the glove box and then remove the inside of the glove box where the CD changer is, and all the CD's fell out into pile in the floor. While I worked on the cabin filters, I let the oil completely drain. Tomorrow, I'm doing a full transmission service, including draining the torque converter - 10 liters of high priced German fluid.
I'm thinking our little talk might have helped. :)

Good job, I love that sense of satisfaction when all is done, and feeling just a little more in touch with the vehicle.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Finished the transmission service today, took me part of 2 days. Had to drive 50 miles for 27 mm socket - I had a 27 mm deep socket but it wouldn't fit into the space. Had to turn the crankshaft pulley with the 27 to line up the drain plug on the torque converter. Completely drained the tranny, new oil pan gasket, new bolts, o rings, filter, and pumped 9 liters of fluid through the drain plug. And used about 1/2 liter of fluid to flush the oil cooler and lines.

The torque specs on the pan bolts were a little different - torque them to 4 n/m and then turn them 180 degrees. Anyway, no leaks and the tranny shifts smooth and the car runs like new.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Finished the transmission service today, took me part of 2 days. Had to drive 50 miles for 27 mm socket - I had a 27 mm deep socket but it wouldn't fit into the space. Had to turn the crankshaft pulley with the 27 to line up the drain plug on the torque converter. Completely drained the tranny, new oil pan gasket, new bolts, o rings, filter, and pumped 9 liters of fluid through the drain plug. And used about 1/2 liter of fluid to flush the oil cooler and lines.

The torque specs on the pan bolts were a little different - torque them to 4 n/m and then turn them 180 degrees. Anyway, no leaks and the tranny shifts smooth and the car runs like new.
That is the way to do it right, great job! Changing that fluid will add years to your transmission, most people never do it.

At 175,000 miles I bought a transmission upgrade & filter kit that also had all 4 updated AC Delco shift solenoids in it. That's the GM way, come out with better solenoids after the vehicles have been on the road for several years. Transmission runs cool and shifts great now though!

Voodoo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
really like his videos. Wish I had watched some sooner. Got an Outback with only 125k miles and now a serious oil leak. Sounds like hell on cold starts. Left side has a bunch of oil sitting on top. Hoping its a some valve covers and not the head gasket. Not impressed. Drives well but not great quality. Not sure why they keep sticking with the flat boxer design.

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Some years had head gasket issues. Google will help.

Was covered under recall IIRC.

Golden Regards
Uncle

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Gota add some refrigerant today, replaced a hose last year and didn't have enough to fill it completely , now have to find the servicing hose so I don't have to buy new one.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
really like his videos. Wish I had watched some sooner. Got an Outback with only 125k miles and now a serious oil leak. Sounds like hell on cold starts. Left side has a bunch of oil sitting on top. Hoping its a some valve covers and not the head gasket. Not impressed. Drives well but not great quality. Not sure why they keep sticking with the flat boxer design.
Seems awfully complicated for a 4 banger!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sotty q&a

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Did the brake job from hell yesterday, made worse because I put it off until the drivers side started squealing metal on metal.
Good to go now though. New rotors ceramic pads and everything ground, fitted, greased and moving smoothly.

. .
good.gif

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
He mentioned someone was buried in their Jag...

This week in in 1977, socialite Sandra West was buried in her Ferrari in San Antonio

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...ite-Sandra-West-was-7528939.php#photo-7545967
Way way way back in my younger days I ran around with a bunch of bikers around Pasco county Florida. One old man called "Chief" died. He was buried on his panhead. They dug a hole in the cemetery. Sat the bike in the hole, sat Chief on the bike and filled the hole with concrete. It's still there today...

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Now that im in a house with a place big enough for tools and working; I changed the oil in the bronco yesterday. Need to get some ramps so I can takeover that job for the wifes Subaru.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++