• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

5 Reasons Fixing Your Own Car Will Change Your Life

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Very cool I hope you keep posting your progress here.
Will do, I was already looking at the options for the coating the bumpers after looking at yours. Its one of the few spots on it where there is any rust and I've never been a big chrome fan.

I did refurb the front seats recently before the step; been happy with the results.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Muttons put that there to tease you. Bad Sheep.

Bad!

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Replaced all the weather stripping on the door frames and doors and replaced the busted passenger side mirror while I was at it. That with the new lock bushings (best $1dollar part ever) the old doors are finally airtight seal quietly and no more annoying rattling while driving.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Fixed my rattling heat shields today, that was a bitch. My car sits so low to the ground you can't use car ramps the plastic in front hits before you even get close to the ramps. I guess you can build up 2x4's to make a gradual ramp but I haven't done that yet. One of the heat shields must have tore loose when I hit a raccoon last summer and lately it got really noisy. Can't imagine why it was lying right on top of the cat! .
aroll.gif

Fixed now. Money saved!

ykatie.JPG

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Fixed my rattling heat shields today, that was a bitch. My car sits so low to the ground you can't use car ramps the plastic in front hits before you even get close to the ramps. I guess you can build up 2x4's to make a gradual ramp but I haven't done that yet. One of the heat shields must have tore loose when I hit a raccoon last summer and lately it got really noisy. Can't imagine why it was lying right on top of the cat! . View attachment 163372

Fixed now. Money saved!

View attachment 163373
Sure, I see the jack stands....
But looking at those jacks with the 4x4 post extensions gives me the heebie jeebies.

mtnman

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Fixed my rattling heat shields today, that was a bitch. My car sits so low to the ground you can't use car ramps the plastic in front hits before you even get close to the ramps. I guess you can build up 2x4's to make a gradual ramp but I haven't done that yet. One of the heat shields must have tore loose when I hit a raccoon last summer and lately it got really noisy. Can't imagine why it was lying right on top of the cat! . View attachment 163372

Fixed now. Money saved!

View attachment 163373
I got too old to be crawling around under a car. I bought myself a Christmas present, now I can walk around under a car...

P1110209.JPG
P1110375.JPG

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Sure, I see the jack stands....
But looking at those jacks with the 4x4 post extensions gives me the heebie jeebies.
I wasn't real hip on crawling under a car with like zero ground clearance either! The wood blocks are the only way to get the damn car high enough to do anything under it. Start with a low profile jack and jack stands and raise it block it raise it block it up until you have some room to work.
But yeah, 2 jack stands on either end and jacks so triple safeties before I went under it. Still freaked my wife out when she saw me under there.

:2 thumbs up:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I love my lift

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
20200430_112215.jpg

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
when I bought my Bronco, the old stereo in place wouldn't power up and was all busted up -- no biggie. I finally got a chance to put in the new stereo I bought yesterday. I took the old one out (wasn't even wired in, somebody had just pushed an old busted one in the hole), wired up my new one -- easy enough. Turned it on and everything worked, power, Bluetooth, microphone, etc; but no sound! I took it out, double checked all my wiring, plugged it and tried again, no sound. I sat there frustrated, finally figured I would check the speakers. I pull off the panels and no speakers! Somebody had removed them all, just wires going nowhere. I guess that would explain it. Got some new speakers this morning, plugged them in and I'm styling... Still gotta decide if I'm gonna wire in the backup camera it came with.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

Fixed now. Money saved!

View attachment 163373
Maybe it's just @glockngold and me but I would feel much safer under that car without those widow maker jacks.

Scratch that. No way in hell I'd get under that with those Jenga traps even within eyesight. No problem with even just one of the stands on each axle, but that setup... Nope.

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Speaking of Jacks... figured I would post this here just incase any of you had these:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/33572...ands-that-could-suddenly-collapse?xid=fbshare
Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

if you've got a set of Harbor Freight jack stands somewhere in your garage, stop using them immediately because many of them have just been recalled over pawls that could "disengage from the extension lifting post" under a shift in weight, causing them to suddenly collapse. We feel like this shouldn't have to be said but we'll say it anyway: bad jack stands that could suddenly fall are extremely dangerous and being underneath a car supported by one could very easily result in serious injury or death.

According to Harbor Freight, the recall applies to three-ton and six-ton heavy-duty steel jack stands with item numbers 56371, 61196, and 61197. The number on the three-ton units can be found on the label at the top while the six-ton stands have their numbers printed in the yellow section of the label found on the base.

more at link...

Last edited: