• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

70's silver art bars

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Re: Southfork's leftovers

Boo - Hiss! Boo Hiss!

:cry_smile:

I'm taking my toys and going home unless you start leaving me better art bar scraps to buy :p!

:bear_grin:

I will be happy to buy lunch and show you my bars I got. I did save some for you from Silvertowne last year.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got this little hawk bar with some generic a couple weeks ago. Weighs 1.05 ozt.

Attachments

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A 1975 Hamilton Mint "Hawk" silver art bar with a mintage of 7500 according to the 4th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook. Hamilton Mint bars seem to weigh heaver than a troy oz. Weights ranging from 31.5 to 32.5 is not very surprising to me for certain Hamilton Mint bars.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Got this lot from a deal that started about two weeks ago. I know the Engelhards carry a small premium. Not sure if he rest are anything interesting.

The 1974 United States Silver Corporation "The Party's Over" bar might get anywhere between $5 and $10 over spot silver on ebay. The 1973 Great Lakes Mint "World's Record 1794 Silver Dollar" bar was minted might get about the same $5 to $10 over spot bid on ebay since that particular Great Lakes Mint silver art bar has a mintage of 10,000 according to the 4th edition Archie Kidd guidebook. As for the Engelhard bars, there are certain Engelhard bars that can fetch a huge premium on ebay but I do not think that those pictured will get as much of a premium but I could be wrong on that since I do not track those prices on ebay. However, the 6-bar set Engelhard "Commerative Sports" series as well as some of the old size Engelhard old pour bars (2-oz, 3-oz, and 7-oz) and the Engelhard London 100-gram old pour bars can get a huge premium on ebay based on what other posters on here and on some other collector-based internet forums have mentioned. The A-Mark bar is just a regular .999 silver bar that does not have a "collector's premium" on it as far as I know.

Last edited:

Silver Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yo, Silver Art. I'm going to a coin show tomorrow, and while I don't gravitate toward art bars, would there be one (or one type) that you have been looking for that I should keep an eye out for? I'm not going to buy, just to mingle, browse, and shake hands.

I do know you need an Easter Bunny, and if I come across one at spot, I will add that as the first piece of my art bar collection.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yo, Silver Art. I'm going to a coin show tomorrow, and while I don't gravitate toward art bars, would there be one (or one type) that you have been looking for that I should keep an eye out for? I'm not going to buy, just to mingle, browse, and shake hands.

I do know you need an Easter Bunny, and if I come across one at spot, I will add that as the first piece of my art bar collection.
There are many silver art bars that I am still looking for but the 4 main types of rare silver art bars that I always look for when I go to a coin show are the following:

1. Greathouse Productions (see post #31 for examples)

2. Green Country Mint (see post # 31 and # 164 for examples)

3. Certain Coca-Cola bars that I do not have yet (see posts #1, #128, and # 194 for examples)

4. Certain sports-themed bars that were minted by a Duane Spellman's private mint called "The Mint" (see post # 26 for examples)

More than likely, you may not see those because the mintage numbers for those above mentioned groups of silver art bars are very low (mintages range from 10 to 300 for each bar). If you find any Coca-Cola bars at the show you are going to, then more than likely they will be the most common ones with the cities of Chattanooga, Atlanta, Louisville, and Nashville on it.

Speaking of coin shows, I plan to be very busy the next weekend by picking up the pace on the number of coin shows that I will be going to. I plan to possibly go to as many as 3 coin shows in a 2-day Friday-Saturday period (Oct. 26 - Oct. 27) in three different states (SC, TN, and AL) plus the big coin show in Chattanooga, TN on Nov. 2-4 to go silver art bar hunting. There is also one in Knoxville, TN that I plan to go to on Nov. 10. Since I seem to find some very good silver art bars at the various coin shows that I went to so far this year, I am going to hit the coin show circuit again to see what I can pickup.

As for the Easter Bunny silver art bar, I do not plan to buy one to add to my collection because I do not have an interest in buying holiday-themed bars unless 1.) It is a holiday-themed bar with some nudity (Crown Mint Holiday Beauties for example) or 2.) It is a "cancelled die" version of a holiday-themed bar. I have seen some Easter themed bars in the past that had an Easter Bunny on it but I did not buy it because I was not interested in getting it. I think that you will be able to find an Easter bar with an Easter Bunny on it since those seem to be fairly common. Good luck on the Easter Bunny bar hunt. :)

Last edited:

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Thank You for the pictures,it takes time to post and builds a good reference for obscure hard to find silver.

This is the place to go to see" The good, the bad, and the ugly".

Silver Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
As for the Easter Bunny silver art bar, I do not plan to buy one to add to my collection because I do not have an interest in buying holiday-themed bars...
I was aware of this and remember someone giving you a hard time about how no 'real' art bar collector is without one.

And no art bars of interest were seen at the show. It was mostly numi stuff. Didn't buy anything but had a good time chatting with the vendors.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I was aware of this and remember someone giving you a hard time about how no 'real' art bar collector is without one.

And no art bars of interest were seen at the show. It was mostly numi stuff. Didn't buy anything but had a good time chatting with the vendors.
Hahahahaha!!!!!!! Yeah I knew that others were giving me a hard time about me not having an Easter Bunny silver art bar in my collection. :)

That is good that you had a good time chatting with the dealers there at the coin you went to. Each time that I went to a coin show, I always talk to a few of the dealers there and since I have done business with several coin show dealers at various coin shows that I have been to in the past, then it makes it easier to talk to some of the dealers there. I always love going to coin shows and I seem to have some good luck finding silver art bars that I am looking for at most of the coin shows that I go to.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Since this is the first time that I have seen this, I am not familiar with that particular Engelhard bar in the above link and I do not know how much of a premium that it will get on ebay, however, there were some odd-sized old poured Engelhard bars (2-oz, 3-oz, and 7-oz) as well as a set of 4 100-gram 1969 Engelhard London poured bars that have fetched huge premiums on ebay. I think that the 2-oz, 3-oz and 7-oz old poured Engelhard bars were minted in the 1970's but I am not very sure of that. The ebay collector market for old poured Engelhard bars seems to be very active since those tend to sell for very high premiums. Some of those sell for ebay premiums that are much higher than the ebay premiums on most of the '70's silver art bars.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That bar is up to $552 and counting!

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Re: Southfork's leftovers

I will be happy to buy lunch and show you my bars I got. I did save some for you from Silvertowne last year.
Just saw this... Yah, I was joking previously and I'm always thankful for your help :cool:. It kinda worked out at that the Lakeland show the other day as you only left a couple dozen bars at the show, but I had limited funds so having limited choices kept me from over spending :p.

I just received a small group of bars this past week and will post a pic later. As for that Englehard auction above, freak'n lunacy I tell ya. Seems like the market is still climbing on those old pours and odd bars, but collectors are finicky and I bet if just a few of the major Englehard collectors dropped out prices may tumble quicker than most would expect. I don't mind stepping up to the plate to spend more than melt on certain coins, but I just can't justify $500/oz silver for a freak'n bullion bar no matter how popular it is at the moment.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Here's a couple more bars that I have gotten in the past couple of weeks. I got my first foreign silver art bar.:) It's a VW-Kafer 1952 by Degussa. The second bar is a Watergate "gang" bronze bar by Ceeco.
Nice silber bar
Cant go wrong with fein silber

And I can off load that VW bar for you if you ever find the need :D

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here's a couple more bars that I have gotten in the past couple of weeks. I got my first foreign silver art bar.:) It's a VW-Kafer 1952 by Degussa. The second bar is a Watergate "gang" bronze bar by Ceeco.
Actually that Bronze "Wategate Gang" bar is really a Colonial Mint bar because I have seen a 1973 silver version of the Colonial Mint "Watergate Gang" bar. The "border" of the front of this bronze bar looks "Colonal Mint-ish" to me. The "C" with the circle around it that is located on the lower corner of the bronze bar is the same as the one on the reverse type of some of the Colonial Mint silver art bars. Most of the Ceeco Mint bars that I have seen will have "Ceeco" stamped" on the reverse side of the bar. I double checked one of my silver art bar guidebooks and that seemed to confirmed it for me that the "Watergate Gang" bronze bar is really a Colonial Mint bar.

As for the Degussa bar, I do not see many of those locally and this is the first time that I have seen anybody with this particular Degussa bar that you posted. That is good find IMO.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Duh, you're right Josey. It was a PEBCAK error.:D
Do not worry about it. It happens to the best of us. I am nowhere close to being perfect because I still make some mistakes in identifying certain ones since I am still learning about various silver art bars from the '70's.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Wow, that VW bar is a treasure IMO. The '52 was the last year of the split window before they went to the oval windows of 53' - 58'. I can't recall with certainty if the engine was still the 25hp, as the ovals had a 36hp powerplant, but either way you're not running from the law in one of those :cool:. I would drop $50 on that bar as a VW collectible if I saw it at a show.

Cool bar, thanks for sharing :yes:

Shiny

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Stopped at a local Gold Exchange and picked up a few 70s Art Bars - 2 common Hamilton mint items and the displayed Raggedy Ann and Andy bar (serial # 33) by International Silver Ingot Co (ISIC-7). This is my first ISIC bar. Paid $33 - fair from my point of view.

ISIC-xx_RaggedyAnnAndy.jpg

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Stopped at a local Gold Exchange and picked up a few 70s Art Bars - 2 common Hamilton mint items and the displayed Raggedy Ann and Andy bar (serial # 33) by International Silver Ingot Co (ISIC-7). This is my first ISIC bar. Paid $33 - fair from my point of view.

View attachment 25795
$33 is more than fair for a ISIC bar IMO because those are very hard to find and I think that "Raggedy Ann and Andy" bar is one of the most common ISIC bars that exist since I have seen more of them on ebay in the past than any other ISIC bar. As far as I am concerned, most of the ISIC bars are nearly just as hard to find as the Greathouse, Green Country Mint, and the Duane Spellman The Mint bars that I talk about. A lot of those ISIC bars have mintages that are 500 or less and they usually sell for a large ebay collector's premium. I have not found a single ISIC silver art bar at any of my LCS's in the 4 years that I have been seriously collecting silver art bars. Out of all of the coin shows that I attended in the last 4 years, I only found one ISIC bar at a coin show. They are very hard to find. This is an excellent find and you paid an excellent price for it IMO. Congrats. :)

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here is a silver art bar that I bought on the second day (yesterday) of the coin show........................

It is a 1973 Valley Forge Mint "Series A 1973". The actual stamped weight is 500 grains (1.04 troy oz.) and I paid $32.70 for it (11-2-2012 spot silver = $30.91/oz). Silvertowne was at this coin show and I found that bar while I was looking through one of their melt buckets. The 4th edition Archie Kidd guidebook lists a mintage of 500 for this bar.

Here is the silver art bar that I bought today on the last day of the show. This was my "splurge" day today since I was finished "bargain hunting" yesterday. I "splurged" on this bar meaning that I paid a collector's premium for it instead of a .999 generic silver premium but I do not mind because I prefer to buy what I like. Here is what I bought today......................

This is a holiday-themed enameled "Easter" foreign (West Germany) silver art bar. It was struck in 1977 by B.H. Mayer. The 4th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook (page 245) mentions that "All bars struck by B.H. Mayer of Kunstrageanstalt Pforzheim, West Germany".

I normally do not buy holiday-themed silver art bars but I made an exception with this one because 1.) It is a foreign silver art bar that is very hard to find because of the low mintage of some of these, 2.) It is an enameled silver art bar, 3.) The unique edges, and 4.) The theme is different from your usual U.S. minted Easter-themed silver art bars.

I splurged on this bar when I paid $55.00 for this bar (11-2-2012 spot silver = $30.91/oz). The "lines" on the enameled part of this bar are cracks in the clear enamel front that was caused by rough handling but the colored decal that is under the clear enamel is fine. I am making a wild guess that those cracks in the clear enamel were caused from it being dropped. On the reverse side of this bar, there is some very small lettering that is directly located under the "B.H. Mayer" lettering. Upon closer inspection, that small letting says "W. Germany". "W. Germany" = West Germany.

Last edited:

Wilcox

Hello everyone. First off, I want to say thanks for all the very interesting research and information in this thread. This seems to be the place to be if you are interested in silver art bars.
I stumbled across this forum while trying to find out more about my first art bar purchase earlier this week. I picked up the Silver Mint 12 ingot silver producing nations set for $31.41 an ounce (50¢ over spot). My question is do these have any collector value? All my past silver purchases have been strictly for investment purposes (buying as close to spot as possible). Thanks.

Attachments

Shiny

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Hello everyone. First off, I want to say thanks for all the very interesting research and information in this thread. This seems to be the place to be if you are interested in silver art bars.
I stumbled across this forum while trying to find out more about my first art bar purchase earlier this week. I picked up the Silver Mint 12 ingot silver producing nations set for $31.41 an ounce (50¢ over spot). My question is do these have any collector value? All my past silver purchases have been strictly for investment purposes (buying as close to spot as possible). Thanks.
Be careful with bars like these - they are seen on eBay and coin shows priced as if each bar is a troy ounce (31.1 grams) even though they clearly state that they are just 20 grams per bar.

As often stated herein - collect what you like. Personally I have focused on mostly one tr oz bars and have not included sub-1 tr oz items in my collecting efforts (major exception - Coca-Cola Louisiana round in the 75th anniversary set - 0.9 tr oz)

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Wilcox,

Welcome to GIM2. Yep there are people here who collect silver art bars and they are very knowledgeable about them. Those particular 20-gram (0.64 troy oz.) Silver Mint "Silver Nations" silver art bars were minted in 1973.

These do have some collector value. With current spot silver in the $31-$32 range, total price ranges (including shipping) on ebay can range from $21 to as high as $33 There were several of those particular 20-gram bars that recently sold for $24 on ebay.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Silver Art,

Been a long time follower of the site and you. This little bar just went up for sale in my area. Is it anything special? He is asking $360 for it.

Thanks!
I do not think that those particular Engelhard bars carry a very large collector's premium on ebay. With current spot silver, the current melt value on that particular bar is $326.30. I looked on ebay and the most recent winning bid premiums range from $365 to $381.

However, there are several Engelhard old pour silver bars that get a huge premium on ebay. Those are typically odd-size bars. For example, I think that the Engelhard old pour bar sizes of 2-oz, 3-oz, 4-oz, and 7-oz get the largest collector's premium winning bids on ebay. The 4-bar set of 100-gram old pour Engelhard London bars also get a huge premium on ebay. Those types of bars are very hard to find and that is why to will command a very large premium on ebay.

Welcome to GIM2 Malakingaso. :)

Last edited:

Wilcox

Wilcox,

Welcome to GIM2. Yep there are people here who collect silver art bars and they are very knowledgeable about them. Those particular 20-gram (0.64 troy oz.) Silver Mint "Silver Nations" silver art bars were minted in 1973.

These do have some collector value. With current spot silver in the $31-$32 range, total price ranges (including shipping) on ebay can range from $21 to as high as $33 There were several of those particular 20-gram bars that recently sold for $24 on ebay.
Thank you!

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Josey, a shame you cant make it to the fun show in 2013, by 2014 when you come you wont be able to afford any art bars, melt will be well over 100 bucks by then. Come to think of it I wont either cause I will be on pension by April of 2013 and wont have the splurge money I do now, mabye I can set up a booth at the show and sell some art bars.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Josey, a shame you cant make it to the fun show in 2013, by 2014 when you come you wont be able to afford any art bars, melt will be well over 100 bucks by then. Come to think of it I wont either cause I will be on pension by April of 2013 and wont have the splurge money I do now, mabye I can set up a booth at the show and sell some art bars.
HA! I seriously doubt that melt will be over 100 bucks by 2014. I do not see silver even hitting and holding $50 before 2015. I wish that I could come to the January 2013 FUN show but I will not be able to but I will aim for January 2014. At the January 2013 FUN show, there is going to be an IASAC table set up at the FUN show and I know that some IASAC members will be there at that table. They told me that they were going and one of the IASAC trustees will be there. I always liked talking to them and picking their brain to learn what I can from them. I am very happy that I got a chance to meet several other IASAC members while I attended the IASAC annual meeting while I was in Dalton, GA this past August.

Speaking of coin shows, I went to a couple of small coin shows yesterday to look for silver art bars that I was interested in collecting. Each of those 2 coin shows had a table count of 20 or less. I call coin shows of that size a "hit or miss" coin show because coin shows that are that small have IMO a greater probability of not finding what you are looking for (a miss) vs. finding what you are looking for (a hit). In my case, those two coin shows that I went to yesterday were a "miss" since I did not find any silver art bars that I was interested in collecting. That was very disappointing for me because I usually do well at finding them at coin shows. I will just have to try harder at the next coin show that I attend.

As for selling silver art bars, you can get a booth and sell them at coin shows but for any rare ones that you have, then I think that it would be better if you sell them on ebay because those rare ones will go for a much higher premium (i.e. higher profit margin) than more common silver art bars IMO even after you factor in ebay and paypal fees.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Not a bar, but a plata pura art round
Never seen one before so I figured I worked hard today around the house....time to get paid a little.
plata puro feliz.jpg

Last edited:

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Interesting one never saw that, I have some old square bars that are from South America somewhere memory does not serve that say that also, plata puru

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Interesting one never saw that, I have some old square bars that are from South America somewhere memory does not serve that say that also, plata puru
I've been on the hunt for a square type one like this on the cheap to no avail.

I got the round in today and cleaned it up (looks like new) should up the value a few bucks :D
here is the other side with a nativity scene (baby Jesus in basket)

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yesterday was a decent day for me as a silver art bar collector. I picked up a 1-oz 1973 Colonial Mint "Marilyn" (nude) bar (COL-4) for $40.00 at a small coin show that I attended in Alabama yesterday. I decided to not post a picture of it since it would violate the "no porn" rule on GIM2 but this bar does look nice and for $40, it was fairly cheap given the fact that these have recently sold for between $60 to $100 on ebay. I also picked up some Coca-Cola silver art bars at a local flea market for $45 each. In addition, I was able to find and buy a 2008 revised version of the 5th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook on ebay for only $100.00. $100 for a 5th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook is probably the lowest price that you will find for this type of guidebook since I have seen those sell for between $150 to as much as $300 on ebay and elsewhere online.

Ken Potter is currently selling them on ebay at his ebay store for $96.00 (+ $3.99 shipping):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Art-...993&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=3&sd=300827522056&

For anybody that is interested in buying a 5th edition Archie Kidd can buy one at a decent price at the above ebay auction link. BTW the 90.5 percent feedback rating is explained in the ebay description of what happened to cause his ebay feedback score to fall that low. He is a credible ebay seller and I will personally vouch for him since I have ordered several guidebooks from his ebay store in the past with no problems at all.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Yesterday was a decent day for me as a silver art bar collector. I picked up a 1-oz 1973 Colonial Mint "Marilyn" (nude) bar (COL-4) for $40.00 at a small coin show that I attended in Alabama yesterday. I decided to not post a picture of it since it would violate the "no porn" rule on GIM2 but this bar does look nice and for $40, it was fairly cheap given the fact that these have recently sold for between $60 to $100 on ebay. I also picked up some Coca-Cola silver art bars at a local flea market for $45 each. In addition, I was able to find and buy a 2008 revised version of the 5th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook on ebay for only $100.00. $100 for a 5th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook is probably the lowest price that you will find for this type of guidebook since I have seen those sell for between $150 to as much as $300 on ebay and elsewhere online.
Silver sounds like you scored on the Marilyn (single sided or double sided)
A couple on ebay just sold in the $60+ dollar range
I was watching those and a 1 oz .999 Silver Mother Lode Mint "Sailors Dream" art bar and thought of you.....It had one bidder and sold for $44.50 shipped.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Silver sounds like you scored on the Marilyn (single sided or double sided)
A couple on ebay just sold in the $60+ dollar range
I was watching those and a 1 oz .999 Silver Mother Lode Mint "Sailors Dream" art bar and thought of you.....It had one bidder and sold for $44.50 shipped.

Yep. I thought that it was a good score too IMO at $40.00. This particular Marilyn Monroe bar that I bought is the double sided one that was minted in 1973 by the Colonial Mint. As far as I know, Colonial Mint was the only private mint in the 1970's to make the double-sided Marilyn Monroe bar with that unique incuse pattern reverse. The Robert Westfall version (minted in 1990) and the World Wide Mint version (minted in 1984) of the famous Marilyn Monroe pose are the single-sided silver art bars. In my opinion, the 1973 Colonial version is the best Marilyn Monroe bar that was minted out of all of the Marilyn Monroe-themed bars that currently exist. These nude Marilyn Monroe-themed silver art bars seem to be very hot sellers on ebay with prices ranging from anywhere from as low as $47 to as high as $130 depending on the type. The last few prices that I have recently seen on ebay were in the $100 range with last two bars selling for $64 and $81.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
I decided to not post a picture of it since it would violate the "no porn" rule on GIM2 but this bar does look nice and for $40,
Just post a pic of the bar already, sheeeshhhh :cool:. Coins with naked and/or topless women are posted all the time so I'm sure it's okay to post Marilyn;).

1971 1000 Franc (Dahomey):
dahomey1000Franc_1971proof.jpg dahomey1000Franc_1971proof2.jpg