• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

70's silver art bars

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Washington Mint bars... I had one or several of these already, but most were new to me:

WA_mint_lakeland2013_32per.jpg WA_mint_lakeland2013_32per_rev.jpg

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
And the better bars... Two of these I think are worth more than average as they feature the less common solid circle Mother Lode logo. Furthermore the New Orleans bar was new to me so I'm betting it was the best of the bunch. Hopefully Josey chimes in now that I've set the bait :p;):

lakeland_group2_Feb2013_32per.jpg lakeland_group2_Feb2013_32per_rev.jpg

lakeland_Feb2013_32per.jpg lakeland_Feb2013_32per_rev.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Love the Rockwell bar. :thumbs_up:

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
BTW I talked to SilverArt today and he's doing just fine. He's just taking a break from the forum addiction which is something I should probably try soon myself :p.

I forgot to post images last night of the only bar that cost $31. All other others I paid $32ea when spot was right at $30 so it was nice to pay only a dollar over for a bar that came in the original box. Granted it is still just worth spot, but 99 out of 100 art bars lost their packaging years ago so I'm pleased to have it even if it is just a crummy holiday art bar :cool:

lakeland_hamiltonVD_32dollars.jpg lakeland_hamiltonVD_32dollars_inside.jpg lakeland_hamiltonVD_32dollars_obv.jpg lakeland_hamiltonVD_32dollars_rev.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've got another example or two from that Franklin Mint series IIRC, but those of you who enjoy Rockwell should check out the larger 1500 grain (3+ ounces) bars that are available for close to spot on eBay:
Please don't get me started on another collection! :p

This thread is interesting. We have melted a lot of Framklin Mint products because a few years ago no one wanted them and dealers wouldn't buy them for anywhere near spot. How things have changed. We probably have a few left boxed up somewhere.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Picked up some of these bars which look pretty cool. Guessing they are from around the 70's, look pretty old.
I can't give you any specifics like SA/Josey can, however I can tell you that your bar is not as common as the Drovers bar below. In the few short years that I've been looking at bars at shows I have run across several of the bar below, but have yet to find your Drover bar. That doesn't mean your bar is worth very much, but if art bar collecting goes main stream it will be worth more. Your bar is readily available at a steep premium on eBay, but that doesn't mean folks are actually paying that much for it as those auctions are continually relisted...

The more common Drover bar:
$T2eC16hHJHoE9n3KhWjoBQ(iJQoslg~~60_3.JPG

Chester-Copperpot

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Not an Art bar collector, but close to spot I'll take anything. Thought it looked a cool bar, and I know these guys appreciate art bars, so thought I'd share.

Shiny

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Not an Art bar collector, but close to spot I'll take anything. Thought it looked a cool bar, and I know these guys appreciate art bars, so thought I'd share.
Always nice for others to appreciate this niche collecting area. While the silver content is what the vast majority notices, the art and history of these little gems has some of us real wonky with the chase.

Also - thanks for saving another one from the melting pot...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

b_cahill

Seeker
Seeker
DSC_0851.jpg DSC_0852.jpg
I picked these up at my LCS yesterday. Along with a Hot Springs P puck in OGP, I paid $275 for the bar, 1/2 oz round and a 1890-O Morgan. I saw the bar on the cover of one of the Art Bar price guides posted by Silver Art on the first page of this thread. My guess is that it is a common bar, but I like the look of it.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
This thread is interesting. We have melted a lot of Framklin Mint products because a few years ago no one wanted them and dealers wouldn't buy them for anywhere near spot. How things have changed. We probably have a few left boxed up somewhere.
I would be happy to give you melt for all your art bars.

I would be happy to give you melt for all your art bars.
When silver is at a higher price I would be willing to sell them at melt or a little over. I don't like melting anything with artistic value but there's only so much of this stuff we can hang onto and still have any operating capital. ;) We would also trade for gold.

Solo

Midas Member
Midas Member
I saw the bar on the cover of one of the Art Bar price guides posted by Silver Art on the first page of this thread. My guess is that it is a common bar, but I like the look of it.
That is the 1oz Fortuna bar that Pamp has made for years. It's a very common bar, but regardless it nearly always commands a premium and as such finding one for spot pricing is tough (I have only found 1 in two years of searching). Collectors pay $50 to $60 on eBay if they are still sealed in their card.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
So what happened to Art? Did he get arrested for having nude silver art bars or something?
Hot Date. You KNOW who she is. ;)
Crap, you mean Blythe is 2 timing me?
Brother Fork, I didn't want to even hint at the "relationship". I'm sure you understand. :bear_blink:
I think SA is getting medical care for his gut problem, seems it's acting up as silver refuses to go below 31 an ounce and he's expecting the 20s.

Actually I am fine. I took a break from GIM and I have been relaxing during that time. As for dating, I did not go out on a date so my 10-year streak of not going out on a date is still intact. :) Speaking of Blythe, I did see her walking down the street and I heard her mentioning something about having a boyfriend. I heard her say that she was in love with Southfork. :) As for my gut feeling..........See my sig line. :)

As for silver art bars, I only bought one silver art bar so far this week but there is a big local coin show starting tomorrow and I hope to find some silver art bars that I like at that show.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Picked up some of these bars which look pretty cool. Guessing they are from around the 70's, look pretty old.

View attachment 34102
View attachment 34103
It is the 1974 mint year version of the "Drovers Country" silver art bar that was minted in Switzerland. That is indeed a very good IMO find because it is a harder bar to find than the 1973 mint year version. Congrats. :)

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
BTW I talked to SilverArt today and he's doing just fine. He's just taking a break from the forum addiction which is something I should probably try soon myself :p.

I forgot to post images last night of the only bar that cost $31. All other others I paid $32ea when spot was right at $30 so it was nice to pay only a dollar over for a bar that came in the original box. Granted it is still just worth spot, but 99 out of 100 art bars lost their packaging years ago so I'm pleased to have it even if it is just a crummy holiday art bar :cool:

View attachment 33354 View attachment 33355 View attachment 33356 View attachment 33357
I am glad that I was able to talk to you on the phone. It was a very good conversation. Thank you for talking to me. As for this bar, it is not a regular occurrence to get an old '70's silver art bar with original packaging and/or original paperwork for only .999 generic silver premiums. Most of the time, some dealers will put an extra premium on silver art bars that come in original packaging. Congrats.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think SA may be outside my window picking up the silver art bars I threw out there a few weeks ago...

Yep. The trip to Kentucky to pick up those silver art bars that you threw out your window a few weeks ago was worth it. Thanks for the freebies. :) :p

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
And the better bars... Two of these I think are worth more than average as they feature the less common solid circle Mother Lode logo. Furthermore the New Orleans bar was new to me so I'm betting it was the best of the bunch. Hopefully Josey chimes in now that I've set the bait :p;):

View attachment 33305 View attachment 33306

View attachment 33307 View attachment 33308
Yep. I took the bait on this. All of those silver art bars pictured are fairly common bars. Nothing rare here. If I had to pick a favorite bar out of this group, it would probably be the New Orleans bar and my 2nd favorite of this group would be the Imperial Russian Seal (Patrick Mint, 1973).

It might have something to do with their good reputation. I know several coin dealers who love their stuff, especially the 100 oz bars. Face it, how many other bars have you weighed only to find the weight was off a little? I find a lot where the private mint bars/rounds are off in weight.

I also notice that a Chinese outfit (?) called The Rising Sun Mint has recycled the Englehard reverse with the eagle and flag design. I have not been able to find any info online about this mint, or another with a similar design, The Rising Star Mint.

So many questions.

So few answers.
Dear gold is money forum members and readers, My name is John and I am the C.E.O of Rising Star Mint Inc Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. this discussion caught my attention and I thought that the members and readers would like to know a few things on this matter, To start Rising Sun Mint is not a company/mint it is a logo of another company Called CMC Mint (central metal corp) which operates in NJ U.S.A and has their products produced in Hong Kong China Which drop ships its purchases to the consumer. Be careful this company does not produce a solid 1oz silver or gold bar their 1 oz products are solid copper bars with gold and silver plating which they call 100mills 500mills and some times called silver clad bars,The cmc mint does produce many solid .999 silver 1 gram, 2.5 gram and 1/10 troy oz bars and rounds which are pure solid .999 silver and solid .999 silver gold plated pieces Many of which We stock and sell. These 1 gram/2.5 gram/1/10th oz pieces are produced in a jewelers kilm baked mold, not actually minted but molded. The Products We at Rising Star Mint Produce are a actual minted silver pieces which are cut with a die from a milled sheet of .999 silver then the cut .999 silver blanks are tumbled in a soap bead solution to polish them. Then they are struck with a design die this is the same way the U.S government produces our Quarters, Dimes,Nickels. This process insures actuate weight and produces a almost flawless Mirror like finish with in depth detail.

Most private mints produce their products in a jewelers kilm molds because a cost reasons about 5,000 for the set up, actual minting equipment is about 40,000.

If you are a consumer look close at the photos the seller/company provides you are they up close and large photos or are the small photos and taken at a distance that don't show much. If these private mints produce a Quality product Their photos will show it.

any questions you can always contact us Thank you Rising Star Mint inc.

www.RisingStarMint.com

Attachments

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What those have to do with 70s silver art bars?

Exonumia

Art bar/round related site with lots of info.

http://koinpro.tripod.com/ExonumiaList.htm
Another site with some info (not much, but some) is Tokencatalog.com. Most of the people there are working bar chips and other tokens. But the site is free, anyone can join, and your pictures are welcome.

However, the info is not all in one place, much of it is in the sub grouping toward the bottom of the page, under UNATTRIBUTED MAVERICKS because no one has figured out where the person/country/company that issued the art bar was located.

A few where the location of the issuer is know, are located under the various countries/states, mostly U.S.A., Canada, England or Swiss.

Last edited:

Exonumia

I am not sure about this but I believe that the Hamilton Mint was part of Franklin Mint and here is some web links that I found on Franklin Mint that might be useful in getting information regarding Hamilton Mint:

http://www.franklin-mint-silver.com/

http://www.franklin-mint-silver.com/danbury-lincoln-hamilton-other-mints.htm

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/The-Franklin-Mint-company-History.html

I have seen some Franklin Mint sterling silver art bars and I have seen several Hamilton Mint .999 silver art bars and I noticed that the markings on the edge of the bar that indicate the mint year, purity, and the "P" (for Proof), are about the same font type. When I remembered seeing the similar edge markings on the Franklin and Hamilton art bars, then that led me to the belief that the Hamilton Mint was somehow either 1.) part of or 2.) involved with the Franklin Mint in some way and perhaps those two web sites might be helpful to you.
Hello again after a long absense (had a whole bunch of computer problems).

I don't think the Franklin Mint was ever associated with Hamilton Mint, but they may have struck some of their silver bars?

Most of the Franklin Mint stuff is now gathered under Franklin Center, Penn., at the Tokencatalog.com site. But they seem to have had offices at many different locations.

The Hamilton Mint seems to have been part of the Hamilton Collections company out of Jacksonville, Florida. Some of their art bars were shipped from Chicago, so the actual striking may have been done by Green Duck, or some other Chicago 'maker'?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

DonDinero

All your Base are Belong to uS?

Dear gold is money forum members and readers, My name is John and I am the C.E.O of Rising Star Mint Inc Milwaukee, Wisconsin U.S.A. this discussion caught my attention and I thought that the members and readers would like to know a few things on this matter, To start Rising Sun Mint is not a company/mint it is a logo of another company Called CMC Mint (central metal corp) which operates in NJ U.S.A and has their products produced in Hong Kong China Which drop ships its purchases to the consumer. Be careful this company does not produce a solid 1oz silver or gold bar their 1 oz products are solid copper bars with gold and silver plating which they call 100mills 500mills and some times called silver clad bars,The cmc mint does produce many solid .999 silver 1 gram, 2.5 gram and 1/10 troy oz bars and rounds which are pure solid .999 silver and solid .999 silver gold plated pieces Many of which We stock and sell. These 1 gram/2.5 gram/1/10th oz pieces are produced in a jewelers kilm baked mold, not actually minted but molded. The Products We at Rising Star Mint Produce are a actual minted silver pieces which are cut with a die from a milled sheet of .999 silver then the cut .999 silver blanks are tumbled in a soap bead solution to polish them. Then they are struck with a design die this is the same way the U.S government produces our Quarters, Dimes,Nickels. This process insures actuate weight and produces a almost flawless Mirror like finish with in depth detail.

Most private mints produce their products in a jewelers kilm molds because a cost reasons about 5,000 for the set up, actual minting equipment is about 40,000.

If you are a consumer look close at the photos the seller/company provides you are they up close and large photos or are the small photos and taken at a distance that don't show much. If these private mints produce a Quality product Their photos will show it.

any questions you can always contact us Thank you Rising Star Mint inc.

www.RisingStarMint.com

Attachments

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Pretty blatent advertising message. :rolleyes:

Exonumia

Today I went to a coin show in the Atlanta, GA area to go silver art bar hunting and found an interesting one..............................

It is a 1974 United States Silver Corporation "Camel Rentals" silver art bar (USSC-115). I paid $28.00 for it today (spot silver was $26.90/oz). The 4th edition Archie Kidd silver art bar guidebook lists the mintage at 2500. I do not see very many of these types of USSC bars but I like this theme very much.

I have never seen that one before, it is cool.

Over at Tokencatalog.com the United States Silver Corporation bars are being gathered under Wallace, Idaho.

Sunshine Mining bars/rounds are being listed under Kellogg, Idaho.

Exonumia

This makes sense to me because 1973 seemed to be the most popular year for SAB's in terms of the number of different ones that came out during that year followed very closely by 1974 and the ones that were minted between 1968 to 1972 were also becoming a popular way to own physical PM's before the gold ownership ban was lifted. I could be wrong on this but I believe that buying those were the only way to buy physical silver bullion back then since, as far as I know, there were no other forms of physical silver available to buy in the early '70's like there is now.
Just to toss my 2¢ in here, silver art bars were not cheap when they started to come out in quantity in 1973. If memory serves me correctly, they were often more than twice the "melt value" or more of the silver. So it would have been less expensive to just buy 90% U.S. silver coins.

What the SAB had going for them was novelty. United States coins struck for circulation at this time were very boring. The cent had been around since 1909, the quarter since 1932, the dime since 1946, Kennedy 50¢ were new, but difficult to find (even the clad Kennedy half dollars were being hoarded).

Exonumia

I was hoping to reply to the party that had the Austrian 2001 10 Kreuzer photo.

I don't know if this coin was actually struck by the government of Austria, or if it is a total fantasy struck by a private mint for Littleton Coin? The 2005 catalog of Unusual World Coins by Michael & Cuhaj list them as
"Republic Medallic Coinage", what ever that means?

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here is the 1st of only two silver art bars that I bought on the 1st day of the TSNS Spring Chattanooga coin show today:

It is a 1974 Madison Mint "83rd A.N.A. Florida" silver art bar. I paid $35.00 for it (spot silver was $28.58/oz).

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here is the 2nd of only two silver art bars that I bought on the 1st day of the TSNS Spring Chattanooga coin show today:

It is a "10th Anniversary America in Space" silver art bar. It is a sterling silver (.925 purity) silver art bar that was minted in 1971 by Franklin Mint. The weight of this bar is 1000 grains (2.08 troy oz's ---> ~1.93 troy oz's equivalent .999 pure silver). Currently, this is the only sterling silver art bar that I have in my entire silver art bar collection. I paid $60.00 for this bar (Actual silver bullion value for this bar = $55.16). I usually do not buy sterling silver art bars but I made an exception here because 1.) I do not have a Franklin Mint art bar in my collection and 2.) I like this particular theme on this bar and this is the first time that I have seen this particular Franklin Mint bar.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Last edited: