• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

70's silver art bars

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Update (10-7-2017):

Buying: I did not buy many '70's silver art bars this week. I only bought two so far this month which is a slow month for me. As usual, they are hard to find. Also I have been busy with my comic book hobby and my full time job to go out a find anything of interest to me.

Selling: So far for this week (as of 3:16 AM, Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017), I have sold only 2 '70's silver art bars. That has been slow too but I have listed more '70's silver art bars on ebay to keep my ebay side business going. As a note, the '70's silver art bars that I have sold this year and the ones that I am currently selling are duplicate bars that I have purchased within the last 7 months. I do have more '70's silver art bars that are duplicates that I bought earlier this year but those are in my "business stack" to be sold whenever I need to dip into it to keep my side business going. The "business stack" is plentiful since I did not have to dip into it. If I find any more duplicate '70's silver art bars, then I will list them on ebay right away before the holidays since I will be working more hours (going from 40 hours/wk to 60 hours/wk) during the holidays. I am anticipating that my sales will increase during the holidays and I might offer discounts during black Friday and cyber Monday.

'70's silver art bar show: I did episode 8 on Thursday, October 5, 2017 (see post # 1000 of this thread). I am not sure when I will do episode 9 but it might be a while since my work load at my full-time job will increase as the holidays approach.

Conclusion: It has been slow but I think that my ebay sales will pick up during the holidays. I will see.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
If they mailed these out today most would go missing and not make it to your mail box.

I went to a big coin show today in North Georgia to buy some '70's silver art bars and this was one of the bars that I picked up at the show:

View attachment 90163
View attachment 90164
It is a gold-plated version of a 1973 Patrick Mint Cable Car 1-oz silver art bar. There are two things that are interesting about this particular purchase. One thing about this bar is that it is a gold-plated version of 1970's Patrick Mint 1-oz silver art bar that I have never seen before until now. There is not one listed in the Archie Kidd book. The 2nd interesting thing about this bar is that it is in "original packaging" which in this case it is in the original stamped envelope. The "012" I believe is the serial number of the envelope and not on the bar since Patrick Mint bars do not have serial numbers stamped on them.

A very interesting find IMO. I paid $29.00 for it (spot closed at $17.90/oz today).

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If they mailed these out today most would go missing and not make it to your mail box.
These would end up either "missing" or "lost" at the USPS if these were mailed out today. It would be '70's silver art bar confiscation via USPS.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode 9 of the '70's Silver Art Bar Show:

Disclaimer: NSFW!!!!!

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Update (11-26-2017):

Buying: I did buy a bunch of '70's silver art bars during this month which is good considering that they can be very hard to find. So far this month, I bought a total of 13 1-oz '70's silver art bars (paid between $17.00 and $31 for each one). The '70's silver art bars that I paid $31 for are some harder-to-find Coca-Cola bars that usually sell for much than $31 on ebay but I am leaning towards keeping those. Out of the 13 that I bought so far this month, there were some that I decided to add to my personal collection and some that I have resold (or planning to resell) on ebay for a net profit. I hope to buy more this month but it can be hit or miss depending what I can find. I hope to find more duplicate '70's silver art bars to add to my "business stack" since I already listed a lot of bars on ebay during the earlier part of this week. Persistence is the key IMO.

Selling: So far this month, I sold a total of 14 1-oz '70's silver art bars on ebay. My average ebay BIN sold price has been just over $39/1-oz '70's silver art bar. Some of those '70's silver art bars that I have sold this month were duplicate ones that I bought in the last 3 - 4 months. I made some decent net profit (after paying ebay/Paypal fees and shipping costs) on the '70's silver art bars but no "home runs". I define a an ebay BIN sale "home run" as a bar that I sell for $75/oz or higher. Before the start of holiday shopping with Black Friday, I also spent some free time earlier in the week tripling the number of ebay listings to sell more '70's silver art bars (and other collectible silver) to make more net profit. From Black Friday (November 24) until up to this point (as of 5:58 AM, Sunday, November 26, 2017), I have not made a sale but I am optimistic. I also cut some prices during Black Friday and yesterday of some of my "mid-value" '70's silver art bars to get more customers interested in buying some. Hopefully, I will make a few sales today and for Cyber Monday (November 27). I will have to see what happens.

'70's silver art bar show: I did episode 9 on November 23, 2017 (see post # 1004 of this thread). Given my current work load on my regular full-time job, this might be the last episode that I will do for 2017 but I am not sure yet since it depends on how much free time I will have. I plan to do some episodes for 2018 but nothing concrete yet. I have a couple of ideas for my next episode but I will have to get more free time to work on those ideas and free time is something that I will not have much of in the upcoming weeks since I will be working more hours a week during those weeks. I will have to do more brainstorming to come up with more ideas .

Conclusion: Overall this year (so far), I have made more money with my ebay side business than I did last year. IMO it is a decent part-time second income but can be unpredictable depending on how many sales I make on ebay each month. I do this part-time since I have a full-time job. My long term goal is to do this full-time to support myself but that is many years away (time frame of 5-10 years from now). I enjoy collecting and reselling '70's silver art bars and my love for this hobby is is strong as ever since the time that I started collecting them in the Summer of 2008. However, the challenge still remains to find '70's silver art bars (locally and out-of-town). I also enjoy doing the '70's silver art bar show. It allows me to share my love for '70's silver art bars and to talk about the hobby from my perspective as a collector and a as an ebay seller of '70's silver art bars. Since I will be working several 60-hour work weeks on my regular full-time job during the upcoming weeks, my time to spend on my ebay side business and the show will be very limited since my free time will be limited.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode 10 of the '70's silver art bar show:

pay dirt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The ATB bars are really cool. I like that there is a description on the back, the mint should have done something similar instead of a giant US quarter. Wasted space IMO. Can you post a close up of the Kodiak bar? Wondering if there is a bear on it.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The ATB bars are really cool. I like that there is a description on the back, the mint should have done something similar instead of a giant US quarter. Wasted space IMO. Can you post a close up of the Kodiak bar? Wondering if there is a bear on it.
Yep. It is the Kodiak Bear that is pictured on the front of this ATB Kodiak Island bar. Actually there are three Kodiak Bears on that bar.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Update (12-24-2017):

Buying: I did not buy much this week. I bought only 3 1-oz '70's silver art bars for this week (paid around $17.65 each) from a LCS. If I can find some more of them, then I might buy more '70's silver art bar during the last week of 2017 to end the year on a decent note.

Selling: I sold 4 1-oz '70's silver art bars this week on ebay which was a decent week sales-wise, however, most of it was low-profit margin bars which was not a surprise to me since they are fairly common '70's silver art bars. I did not make much money on those bars. The fact that this is Christmas Eve and the year is coming to an end might also have a lot to do with somewhat sluggish sales since more time is spent with family and friends during this time of year than on ebay buying '70's silver art bars.

'70's Silver Art Bar Show: I do not have any plans to do another episode on YT before this year is over. My last episode for 2017 was episode 10 that I did on December 9, 2017 (see post # 1006 of this thread). I plan to do some episodes in 2018 but I do not have any specific ideas at the moment and no specific dates next year. I plan to do some brainstorming for next year's episodes (starting with episode #11).

Conclusion: Overall, 2017 was definitely a solid year as a buyer and as a seller of '70's silver art bars. I will also say that 2017 was my second best year overall as a '70's silver art bar collector and reseller behind 2016 but ahead of 2011. As a buyer, I was able to buy hundreds of old bars throughout 2017 and that is very awesome and I am happy with that. 2017 was a groundbreaker for me in that this is the 1st time that I have started doing any shows related to '70's silver art bar collecting on YT. That was a big step for me and I am happy that I did that. I will try my best to improve on any future episodes since I am still a novice when it comes to YT and putting shows together. As a seller, I had some great sales throughout the year and I am proud of those sales. However, I did have some bars that did not sell well at all (i.e. sold at a net loss) and that was disappointing but I kept those loses to a minimum. Despite that, overall this year, I made more net profit from selling '70's silver art bars than I did in 2016 which says a lot because 2016 was the year that I started selling them on ebay. My sideline ebay '70's silver art bar hobby business was "born" on May 24, 2016 when I sold my 1st '70's silver art bar on ebay.

I hope that 2018 will be a great year for me as a collector and reseller. I want to continue to build on the momentum from this year and from 2016.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Update (1-14-2018):

Buying:
During the 1st 14 days of 2018, it is off to a great start in terms of buying '70's silver art bars. I bought a total of 37 1-ounce '70's silver art bars, which is a lot for me in that short period of time. Buying that many '70's silver art bars is very good considering that they are very hard to find especially locally. 2018 is off to a great start on the buy side for me and I bought enough for myself as a collector and for my online business and I am happy with that. I usually have a lot more luck at coin shows finding them but I have not even been to my 1st coin show of 2018 yet. I plan to go to my 1st coin show of 2018 either later this month or early next month. It will depend on the weather given that it is winter time.

Selling: It is slow at the moment on the sell side but that is fine. I sold a total of 7 1-oz '70's silver art bars from Jan 1, 2018 to January 13, 2018 period. The goal that I have for my business for this year is to have $7k - $8k in gross sales of '70's silver art bars for 2018. It is doable IMO but I will have to continuously find and buy more of them to flip on ebay thoughout this year.

'70's Silver Art Bar Show: I have no plans on the horizon to do my 1st YT episode for 2018 at this time but that could change depending on what silver art bars that I buy through out this year. However, I will do some episodes for this year. That has been on the back burner for now since I am concentrating on my business and on adding more '70's silver art bars in to personal collection.

Conclusion: So far this month, I have bought more '70's silver art bars than I sold. Buying as many '70's silver art bars as I do so far this month allows me to increase my business inventory while still being able to list a few more of them on ebay and increasing my personal collection of them. I hope to find more '70's silver art bars throughout 2018. As I mentioned, I hope to have gross sales of $7K - $8K in gross sales and I have a goal to make at $1K of net profit (after fees and shipping) from selling '70's silver art bars. I will see how things go throughout this year. I will also carve out some time to do some episodes of my '70's silver art bar show but it will also depend on what bars that I find and what other ideas I come up with. I hope to do my 1st episode of 2018 sometime next month. I will see.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode 17 of the '70's silver art bar show:

EDIT: Since I have not posted in a while on GIM, the following link to my YT channel has all of the episodes that I have done since I started my '70's silver art bar show YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC28GKRWloedwoeulOUzLImw

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Update 3-29-2018:

Buying: It has been a while since I have done an update since I have not been posting on GIM for a while. Between my last update on 1-14-2018 and now (3-29-2018), I have bought a lot of '70's silver art bars from LCS's, coin shows and flea markets. I have had a lot of luck during that span of time buying '70's silver art bars. I bought a total of 31 silver art bars this week alone. Most of what I bought was as inventory for my business for resell on ebay. There were several bars that I bought during that time that I plan to keep for my person collection. Buying '70's silver art bars has been strong for me so far during the 1st quarter of 2018.

Selling: Business has been very good for me overall. Even though, I made more money selling collectior silver bullion coins (ATB pucks, key date SAE's, etc.) than I have selling '70's silver art bars, my '70's silver art bar selling during February and this month has been very strong. Since my last update, I have double my ebay listings so I now have a lot more '70's silver art bars and other collectible silver art bars and rounds and coins for sale on ebay than I did in January 2018.

'70's silver art bar show: I did a lot of episodes between my last update. I did episode 11 on February 8, 2018 and I did episode 17 earlier today. For any episodes missed, you can go to my YT channel link (see post # 1011 of this thread) to catch up since I am not always on GIM to post when ever I publish a new episode. I plan to do more episodes during the rest of this year but I do not know how many I will do. It depends on what ideas I have and/or interesting '70's silver art bars that I find.

Conclusion: I have not posted on GIM in a while mainly because I was working my regular full-time job. Any free-time that I had, I was spending most of it on concentrating on growing my ebay business (i.e. more ebay listings, finding and buying more inventory, etc.) as well as doing the bookkeeping that goes with running an ebay/online business. The good news is that my business is generating a decent net profit so the free time spent on my business has been worth while IMO. I hope to be able to continue my luck in buying more '70's silver art bar during the rest of this year. The YT videos have helped some with talking about '70's silver art bars.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode 18 of the '70's silver art bar show:

In this episode, I share a few of many '70's silver art bar purchases that I made during the 1st half of April 2018.