• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

70's silver art bars

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode 26 with those flag bars, I like those. About 420 in where the TSNS slip up happened... :) good stuff Artemus

Good to see your still hanging in there.
Being able to find a complete set with matching serial numbers is an excellent find in my book imo.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Being able to find a complete set with matching serial numbers is an excellent find in my book imo.
That toning was actually really cool looking it was so dark and shiny. Like a dark gun metal blue. Good find Josey,

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That toning was actually really cool looking it was so dark and shiny. Like a dark gun metal blue. Good find Josey,

Thank you. What makes really good is that I bought the whole set for $100.00 ($10 per bar).

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

I forgot to mention in my previous post that in the 10 years of being involved in the '70's silver art bar hobby, this is the 1st time that I have found a set of 1976 Silver Mint Battle Flags of the Republic 20-gram silver art bars. The guidebook lists a mintage of 5000 for each of those bars in this set. Relatively speaking, a mintage of 5000 is a high mintage for a '70's silver art bar so I would think that , before now, I would have been able to find or have seen at the very least some of the individual bars throught out my hundreds of LCS and coin show visits but that was not the case. That is what makes this 1976 Silver Mint Battle Flags of the Republic 20-gram silver art bar set a wonderful find IMO.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode 26 with those flag bars, I like those. About 420 in where the TSNS slip up happened... :) good stuff Artemus

Good to see your still hanging in there.
I should have mentioned that TSNS stands for Tennessee State Numismatic Society. The TSNS hosts two shows in Chattanooga, TN. One in March and the other one in November. Those two shows are usually the largest coin shows in Tennessee. In the last few years, I have seemed to have had better luck finding '70's silver art bars at the November coin show than I did at the March one.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I forgot to mention in my previous post that in the 10 years of being involved in the '70's silver art bar hobby, this is the 1st time that I have found a set of 1976 Silver Mint Battle Flags of the Republic 20-gram silver art bars. The guidebook lists a mintage of 5000 for each of those bars in this set. Relatively speaking, a mintage of 5000 is a high mintage for a '70's silver art bar so I would think that , before now, I would have been able to find or have seen at the very least some of the individual bars throught out my hundreds of LCS and coin show visits but that was not the case.
I'm thinkin' that a lot of 'em might've gotten melted four short years later in '80 for a nice quick profit. Do you know what was their original selling price in '76?

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm thinkin' that a lot of 'em might've gotten melted four short years later in '80 for a nice quick profit. Do you know what was their original selling price in '76?

That is a good point Joe King. A lot of '70's silver art bars were melted down during the "Big Melt" of the late '70's/early '80's and it is certainly possible that a lot of those sets were melted down during that time. With a mintage of 5000 for each of these bars, it is very likely that a lot of those got melted down.

I do not know what the original selling price for those bars were in 1976. I will try to find out because I am curious myself.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
With a mintage of 5000 for each of these bars, it is very likely that a lot of those got melted down.
I do not know what the original selling price for those bars were in 1976. I will try to find out because I am curious myself.
On the Fourth of July 1976, spot was about $5/ounce. Less than 3 and and a half years later it was 10 times that. How many people would have resisted the temptation to cash-in on that amount of gain in such a short time?
...and at those prices, even the mfg might've been tempted to sell any unsold stock for melt.

Edited to add: it's a wonder how any 70's art bars survived.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
On the Fourth of July 1976, spot was about $5/ounce. Less than 3 and and a half years later it was 10 times that. How many people would have resisted the temptation to cash-in on that amount of gain in such a short time?
...and at those prices, even the mfg might've been tempted to sell any unsold stock for melt.

Edited to add: it's a wonder how any 70's art bars survived.
I wonder how much of a premium were originally charged on those 1976 Silver Mint bars when spot was $5/oz on July 4, 1976. Maybe one day I will find old advertisements or brochures on those particular 1976 Silver Mint bars. I found some old advertisements on some of those '70's silver art bars on ebay and elsewhere but no specific advertisements on the 1976 Silver Mint Battle Flags bars.

As to how many '70's silver art bars survived the "big melt". That is a question that I wish I knew the answer to. I know that there are some out there in the hands of collectors and I know several collectors that have many more '70's silver art bars that I do. There are more '70's silver art bars out there in melt buckets and generic silver bins of LCS's. I like the challenge of finding them.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I wonder how much of a premium were originally charged on those 1976 Silver Mint bars when spot was $5/oz on July 4, 1976.
I don't know, but I doubt it would've been more than .50 cents over spot. Even if it was two bucks, it'd have been a tidy profit selling them in late '79 early '80.
....and those flag bars were probably sold ahead of the Bicentennial celebrations, so they were minted with silver that was likely bought in '75 and the price of silver in '75 was below $5/ounce for most of the year. Probably averaged about $4.50

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I don't know, but I doubt it would've been more than .50 cents over spot. Even if it was two bucks, it'd have been a tidy profit selling them in late '79 early '80.
....and those flag bars were probably sold ahead of the Bicentennial celebrations, so they were minted with silver that was likely bought in '75 and the price of silver in '75 was below $5/ounce for most of the year. Probably averaged about $4.50
I suspect that there were retail places like , for example, Chattanooga Coin (located in Rossville, GA), that probably sold them for higher premium than $0.50 over spot but I could be wrong on that. I think that retail places like that were the only ways to buy '70's silver art bars back then. I also suspect that Chattanooga Coin and other retail shops were the "authorized dealers" of '70's silver art bars back then.

However, $0.50 over spot back then would make sense back then because that was before the spike and spot was a lot lower back then. I do have some advertisements that I bought on ebay back in 2013 that showed some of the bars that were advertised for sale and I hope to eventually find some more old advertisements from some of the retail places that sold '70's silver art bars. If/When I find more of those old advertisement, that will give me an idea of how they were presented and what prices they were priced for at that time. I suspect that you are right in that the premiums were not that high back then but it depends if they were sold directly from the particular private mint or from a retail coin shop like, for example, Chattanoooga Coin.

EDIT: The main reason that I used Chattanooga Coin in this post because they still exist and they typically charge high premiums on certain coins and bars. I have bought '70's silver art bars from them before but I have received very lower premiums for old silver art bars relative to what they usually charge for their other products. They are good people and I have done some business with them in the past.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Glad to hear all is going well with your dealings SA.

I was wondering if you have ever come across this bar. Picked it up for $65. Its a Rami Suisse. Which I think its a PAMP. There isn't even much online about the bar.

View attachment 116270
Thank you. I am happy overall with how things are going.

I have not come across this bar. Based onthe reverse, it appears to be minted in the '80s (maybe 1984?). I will have to check my guide book to see if it is that brlar is listed. I think that is pamp too. The logo on bottom of the reverse side appears to be a pamp symbol.
I found that bar in the Archie Kidd 5th edition guidebook. It is listed as a PAMP bar that was minted in 1985. No mintage was listed but I am guessing that it is low mintage since there are not many 1985 versions of that bar on Ebay (completed auctions/sold BIN listings).

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I found that bar in the Archie Kidd 5th edition guidebook. It is listed as a PAMP bar that was minted in 1985. No mintage was listed but I am guessing that it is low mintage since there are not many 1985 versions of that bar on Ebay (completed auctions/sold BIN listings).

Actually I am wrong Davycoppitt. I double checked my guidebook. The 1985 Pamp Fortuna bar is listed but with the Pamp reverse type. The Fortuna bar with the Rami Suisse reverse type is not listed in the 5th edition guidebook. Perhaps that bar is an "unlisted bar" (not in the guidebook). A very interesting find indeed. Based on the pics you provided, the reverse type looks "1980's-ish". Perhaps Rami Suisse is part of Pamp Suissee. Honestly I am not sure.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks for checking silver art. Yes that is the bar I purchased. Sorry paid 66 not $65. Could not find much at all online about the bar. Thanks again for checking.
Good detective work Josey.
Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification. It took me a while to find more auctions but that, in addition to what Newmisty found, was all I could find on that bar. Unless I missed something, I do not even see any current auctions or BIN listings on this bar on Ebay. The "Ebay test" that I have done tells me that there are not many of these particular bars that are seen on ebay very often. Either that or Ebay search really sucks. LOL!!! I have not found any other previous auctions/BIN listings where just that bar sold. As Newmisty found and mentioned mentioned in post # 1039, that listing contained other bars than just the Rami Suisse bar. Still inconclusive (to me anyway) to what the Rami Suisse bar would sell for if it was sold individually. I want to say it would sell for more than just $66 but I really do not know. I will say this that, generally speaking, for individual bars (not sold as part of a lot), winning auction prices are lower, then "sold for" BIN price listings. Winning auction prices are lower by, for example, between $5 to $50 than for "sold for" BIN prices on Ebay. I say this based on my recent past personal observations on Ebay.

That Rami Suisse bar is a bar that I have never had in my collection and it was not a bar that I have never sold before. Unfortunately, I do not have any personal experience regarding this bar to be much help on it.

Last edited:

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification. It took me a while to find more auctions but that, in addition to what Newmisty found, was all I could find on that bar. Unless I missed something, I do not even see any current auctions or BIN listings on this bar on Ebay. The "Ebay test" that I have done tells me that there are not many of these particular bars that are seen on ebay very often. Either that or Ebay search really sucks. LOL!!! I have not found any other previous auctions/BIN listings where just that bar sold. As Newmisty found and mentioned mentioned in post # 1039, that listing contained other bars than just the Rami Suisse bar. Still inconclusive (to me anyway) to what the Rami Suisse bar would sell for if it was sold individually. I want to say it would sell for more than just $66 but I really do not know. I will say this that, generally speaking, for individual bars (not sold as part of a lot), winning auction prices are lower, then "sold for" BIN price listings. Winning auction prices are lower by, for example, between $5 to $50 than for "sold for" BIN prices on Ebay. I say this based on my recent past personal observations on Ebay.

That Rami Suisse bar is a bar that I have never had in my collection and it was not a bar that I have never sold before. Unfortunately, I do not have any personal experience regarding this bar to be much help on it.

Thanks for the response Silver Art. I thought it was a really cool bar with next to no info online about. I also have not seen any sold. It will be interesting to find out more about it, although I have searched quite a bit and still have nothing.

Thanks again

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks for the response Silver Art. I thought it was a really cool bar with next to no info online about. I also have not seen any sold. It will be interesting to find out more about it, although I have searched quite a bit and still have nothing.

Thanks again

You are welcome. I will still try to find information/sold prices when I have a chance to. This is a challenge since apparently these bars do no show up on ebay very often. My "collector gut feeling" says, that it sell for much more than $66 but, at the moment,, I have nothing to back up my gut feeling with.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode # 28 of the '70's silver art bar show:

NOTE: This will be my last YT show for 2018. I plan to do some more episodes in 2019.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I did not find any '70's silver art bars this week (so far) but this particular silver art bar was one that I bought nearly a week ago from a flea market when I was in Nashville, TN. A 1974 Mount Everest Mint Bejeweled Christmas Tree. I paid $40 for it but this particular version of this bar is very hard with stones in it and a low mintage of 534. Here is what it looks like:

View attachment 92206
View attachment 92207

Also, there is a stone missing (an emerald) on this bar but I guess that is to be expected from a bar this old. I bought this bar as is which include the bezel and sterling silver chain. The sterling silver chain weight as about 13.5 grams when I weighed just the chain. The bar is a decent deal on a relative basis based on condition IMO.

Update (12-29-2018): I sold this '70's silver art bar to a customer a week ago for $81. A very good net profit for my "Schedule C" business. I received a positive ebay feedback from this customer. When the customer is happy, then I am happy. Hopefully this will be a repeat customer down the road. I will see. I am very happy how this transaction went.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Episode # 29 of the '70's Silver Art Bar Show......................

This just goes to show me that, despite the current amount of knowledge that I have on '70's silver art bars that I obtained during the 10 years of collecting them, there is still a lot about them that I do not know about and that includes Franklin Mint sterling silver art bars and rounds that were minted in the 1970's. However, I am glad that there are Franklin Mint guidebooks that I think will help me educate myself of different '70's silver art bars that were issued. This is what this latest episode talks about.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Cool video.

A long time ago I went to a coin auction in a small town with the intention of purchasing some Franklin mint sets, with the intent that they go slightly under melt. Well for some reason the stars aligned and 150 coin people didn't realize that night these were sterling (marked on the rim.) set in cases

I picked up
Franklin mint 100 greatest masterpieces. 208oz
Raphaels Greatest masterpieces 96oz
The Genius of Ben Franklin 21 oz
The El Greco Apostles 16oz

The total bill was $680

The best part was that there was a group of coin folk laughing at me for purchasing these.( I was in my early 20s) The first set was the big one 100 greatest masterpieces I got that for $140. To these guys they thought that was comical. The next set was the Ben franklin and I got that for $40. Then these guys started bidding me up on the last two. They bid up the El Greco apostles and Raphael's masterpieces. Well the next set was pewter. I bid them up to $300 and they got stuck with it. I gave them a huge smile. They did try to argue with the auctioneer that I was the last bidder, but he wasn't having any of it. Got my stuff and left. Silver was at $17 an oz that night.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Silver art,

Have you ever come across the 1/2 oz Pamp Suisse Bees and Honeycomb? Is it just as rare as the 1 oz. Found one for $100 and was wondering if that seems steep. Good shape, but not in original plastic.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Silver art,

Have you ever come across the 1/2 oz Pamp Suisse Bees and Honeycomb? Is it just as rare as the 1 oz. Found one for $100 and was wondering if that seems steep. Good shape, but not in original plastic.
What's the bees and HC? Looked through a search and only find the Fortuna and Rose

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Silver art,

I have not come across the 1/2-oz version of the 1984 Honeycomb with Bees yet. I will say that the 1/2-oz version is just as rare as the 1-oz version. With that said, $100 for the 1/2-oz version does not seem too far out of line. Here is why I say that. I have sold a few 1-oz versions for between $100 - $180 in the past. If I were to sell a 1/2-oz version on ebay (assuming I can get it close to melt), then $50 (lowest price that I would take) to $90 would be within reason for me IMO.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Thanks silver art. Still on the fence if its worth the flip since I have never seen a 1/2 sold. Pamp Suisse always seems to be hot items that sell quick.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Cool video.

A long time ago I went to a coin auction in a small town with the intention of purchasing some Franklin mint sets, with the intent that they go slightly under melt. Well for some reason the stars aligned and 150 coin people didn't realize that night these were sterling (marked on the rim.) set in cases

I picked up
Franklin mint 100 greatest masterpieces. 208oz
Raphaels Greatest masterpieces 96oz
The Genius of Ben Franklin 21 oz
The El Greco Apostles 16oz

The total bill was $680

The best part was that there was a group of coin folk laughing at me for purchasing these.( I was in my early 20s) The first set was the big one 100 greatest masterpieces I got that for $140. To these guys they thought that was comical. The next set was the Ben franklin and I got that for $40. Then these guys started bidding me up on the last two. They bid up the El Greco apostles and Raphael's masterpieces. Well the next set was pewter. I bid them up to $300 and they got stuck with it. I gave them a huge smile. They did try to argue with the auctioneer that I was the last bidder, but he wasn't having any of it. Got my stuff and left. Silver was at $17 an oz that night.

I have my little story about my '70's Franklin Mint pickups during this year and goes a little something like this:

I was looking for '70's .999 pure silver art bars at a particular LCS that I have done a lot of business with. He did not have and .999 silver art bars but I asked about any sterling silver that he had and he told me that he had a melt bucket full of sterling silver art bars and rounds. It took me a while to dig through that big melt bucket (was in the LCS for over an hour). At that time, I had limited knowledge on Franklin Mint bars/rounds so I was looking through stuff and learning on-the-fly about certain FM sterling pieces. That day was my 1st real purchase of sterling silver art bars and rounds from the '70's. At that time I paid around melt for it (spot silver was in the $14.50's at that time). This was in October 2018. I am glad that I made that purchase at that time because this LCS sent the remaining stuff to the refinery to have it melted down. He said that he sends sterling silver bars and rounds to the smelter because there is no local market for it. They just want to get rid of it. As a matter of fact, I am the "local market" for vintage '70's sterling silver art bars/rounds since I am the only one that asks about it. From that point on, when they buy sterling silver, I get first crack at it before they send it to the smelter.

Earlier this month, this same LCS had some more '70's sterling silver in a melt bucket for me to look at and once I got to the LCS, then I started looking through what they had. Since I did not have much knowledge on FM sterling issue bars/rounds, I was picking out stuff that looked pretty and was also buying stuff to use as inventory for my Schedule C business for resell. I bought various FM sterling bars and round as well as some of those 1976 Montreal Olympic $5 and $10 sterling silver coins. This time, I think that I spent about $670 during the earlier part of the month on sterling silver art bars and rounds. I paid melt for all of it. Like the the previous time, any sterling silver that I did not buy that was remaining in the melt bucket, he sent off to the smelter to melt it down. Spot was still in the $14's at that time earlier this month before the recent running to $15.30's spot silver range.

Those recent purchases led me to searching for and buying those Franklin Mint guidebooks to see what I had and when it was minted hence it led me to making episode # 29 of the '70's Silver Art Bar Show.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks silver art. Still on the fence if its worth the flip since I have never seen a 1/2 sold. Pamp Suisse always seems to be hot items that sell quick.
Yeah I know what you mean because it is hard to price something that you have never seen a previous one sold. The risk of "underselling" it is very high at that point. My post # 1069 on this thread is just a very rough sketch idea of what I would attempt to sell a 1/2-oz version HC w/Bees for if I had one to sell and assuming that I play very close to melt for it.

Last edited:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have my little story about my '70's Franklin Mint pickups during this year and goes a little something like this:

I was looking for '70's .999 pure silver art bars at a particular LCS that I have done a lot of business with. He did not have and .999 silver art bars but I asked about any sterling silver that he had and he told me that he had a melt bucket full of sterling silver art bars and rounds. It took me a while to dig through that big melt bucket (was in the LCS for over an hour). At that time, I had limited knowledge on Franklin Mint bars/rounds so I was looking through stuff and learning on-the-fly about certain FM sterling pieces. That day was my 1st real purchase of sterling silver art bars and rounds from the '70's. At that time I paid around melt for it (spot silver was in the $14.50's at that time). This was in October 2018. I am glad that I made that purchase at that time because this LCS sent the remaining stuff to the refinery to have it melted down. He said that he sends sterling silver bars and rounds to the smelter because there is no local market for it. They just want to get rid of it. As a matter of fact, I am the "local market" for vintage '70's sterling silver art bars/rounds since I am the only one that asks about it. From that point on, when they buy sterling silver, I get first crack at it before they send it to the smelter.

Earlier this month, this same LCS had some more '70's sterling silver in a melt bucket for me to look at and once I got to the LCS, then I started looking through what they had. Since I did not have much knowledge on FM sterling issue bars/rounds, I was picking out stuff that looked pretty and was also buying stuff to use as inventory for my Schedule C business for resell. I bought various FM sterling bars and round as well as some of those 1976 Montreal Olympic $5 and $10 sterling silver coins. This time, I think that I spent about $670 during the earlier part of the month on sterling silver art bars and rounds. I paid melt for all of it. Like the the previous time, any sterling silver that I did not buy that was remaining in the melt bucket, he sent off to the smelter to melt it down. Spot was still in the $14's at that time earlier this month before the recent running to $15.30's spot silver range.

Those recent purchases led me to searching for and buying those Franklin Mint guidebooks to see what I had and when it was minted hence it led me to making episode # 29 of the '70's Silver Art Bar Show.

I forgot to mention that most of the '70's Franklin Mint sterling silver bars and rounds that I bought in the quoted post, I ended up using as inventory for resell for my Schedule C business. I wanted to expand my Schedule C business with more variety of '70's silver art bars to sell. I did sell a few of the sterling silver pieces but not much. I did keep a few sterling silver pieces that I truly liked and I put the remaining sterling silver pieces in my "business stack" (i.e. my reserve business inventory). I plan to buy more '70's Franklin Mint sterling silver if/when an LCS gets it.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I picked up a few hundred back when silver was 12, got them at melt as no one wanted them. Ive gotten some great deals at the fun show

One day I will go to the January FUN show. Unfortunately, I cannot go in January 2019 because I am working too much at my regular full-time job and still growing my ebay/online business.

If/when I go to a January FUN show, I will be on the hunt for '70's silver art bars.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Update (12-31-2018):

Buying: Despite silver being in the $14-$15 range, it has continued to be a very strong last few months for me as a buyer of '70's silver art bars. I have been able to buy a lot of '70's silver art bars especially from the LCS which is very good for me. I have been paying $0.50 - $1.50 over spot for .999 '70's silver art bars. I also have been buying a lot of 1970's Franklin Mint sterling silver art bars and rounds and I have been paying melt price for those. The coin shows and flea markets have also been good to me on finding them. I hope to be able to continue that success in 2019.

Selling: Overall, this has been IMO a great year for me as a seller of '70's silver art bars. During the Black Friday-Christmas holiday season, I had a lot of sales not just from collectors but also from non-collectors looking for gifts for others and people who look for certain themed bars that have a special meaning to them. I have grown my ebay/online business to the point that I have a fairly large presence on ebay and I have a decent repeat customer base. I plan to continue to grow my customer base.

'70's Silver Art Bar show: I did episode # 29 on Saturday, December 29, 2018. That was my last episode for 2018. I plan to do more episodes in 2019.

Conclusion: I will continue to increase my business inventory in 2019 so I will have more options for buyers to look at purchasing. My goal as a seller of '70's silver art bars is to expand my online business presence beyond just Ebay. I might think about also selling on Etsy as well as using social media (i.e. Facebook) to have a business presence and to gain more customers. I want to double me overall gross sales in 2019 and well as earn at least $5K in net profit. I think that is doable IMO. However, it also depends on what I can find and for what price I can find it for. My personal '70's silver art bar collection has not grown much this year because I have been concentrating on increasing my inventory for my business. That will continue to be my main goal for 2019. I will continue to do more '70's Silver Art Bar Show episodes in 2019 but when I do them will just depend on what special bars I find.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Update (12-31-2018):

Buying: Despite silver being in the $14-$15 range, it has continued to be a very strong last few months for me as a buyer of '70's silver art bars. I have been able to buy a lot of '70's silver art bars especially from the LCS which is very good for me. I have been paying $0.50 - $1.50 over spot for .999 '70's silver art bars. I also have been buying a lot of 1970's Franklin Mint sterling silver art bars and rounds and I have been paying melt price for those. The coin shows and flea markets have also been good to me on finding them. I hope to be able to continue that success in 2019.

Selling: Overall, this has been IMO a great year for me as a seller of '70's silver art bars. During the Black Friday-Christmas holiday season, I had a lot of sales not just from collectors but also from non-collectors looking for gifts for others and people who look for certain themed bars that have a special meaning to them. I have grown my ebay/online business to the point that I have a fairly large presence on ebay and I have a decent repeat customer base. I plan to continue to grow my customer base.

'70's Silver Art Bar show: I did episode # 29 on Saturday, December 29, 2018. That was my last episode for 2018. I plan to do more episodes in 2019.

Conclusion: I will continue to increase my business inventory in 2019 so I will have more options for buyers to look at purchasing. My goal as a seller of '70's silver art bars is to expand my online business presence beyond just Ebay. I might think about also selling on Etsy as well as using social media (i.e. Facebook) to have a business presence and to gain more customers. I want to double me overall gross sales in 2019 and well as earn at least $5K in net profit. I think that is doable IMO. However, it also depends on what I can find and for what price I can find it for. My personal '70's silver art bar collection has not grown much this year because I have been concentrating on increasing my inventory for my business. That will continue to be my main goal for 2019. I will continue to do more '70's Silver Art Bar Show episodes in 2019 but when I do them will just depend on what special bars I find.
You go Art! Let us know how things move along for you. If you really start to pop you could always consider your own website.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well, I don't normally purchase sterling but I saw a couple pieces and thought I'd pick them up. The Franklin mint tenth USA space anniversary was spot plus a few bucks and was 1000 grains (a bit over two ounces). The other, from unknown mint, Cuba UN Admit - 600 grains was sold to me at spot.

10th Anna.jpg

10th Anna reverse.jpg

Cuba.jpg

Cuba Reverse.jpg

I've never seen sterling bars quite like these. The FM piece has micro-engraved names of all the astronauts (up to 1971) on the reverse. And the Cuba bar is just a flat bar - no frills at all. (kinda like Cuba)

BF