• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

70's silver art bars

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
AKA Silver Art.

(from his old GIM handle)
Pretty sure he's keeping busy. I'm subscribed to his youtube channel so I get his stuff when he posts it. Always say hello to him and let him know where I share his vids ( here, FB & my youtube channel. ) Always get a reply.

Been in touch with a couple of others. They're still around. Just taking a vaca from posting. In all likelihood I'll be doing the same thing come Saturday (Monday at the latest.) Want to update a lot of my stuff before hand.

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Extremely rare bar.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
She's lovely.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
some nice detail work on those bars

Christmas has always been a time of good feelings, nothing says Feel Good better than a nicely detailed silver bar

:autumn:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yep a rare Greathouse bar indeed. Congrats on the score 'Dial. I never had that particular Greathouse bar but have seen some Greathouse bars with that reverse type sell anywhere between $60 to $100. There have been several that sold well over $100. The last Greathouse bar that i sold was for "only" $31 but i is a relatively common Greathouse bar.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I tossed a better one out my window to make room for more gold. But that's me!
Sometimes you gotta do what you have to do. I think i tossed out some good '70's silver silver art bars during this year for some even better '70's silver art bars and some comic books.

gringott

"Veteran of the Battle of Knob Creek"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Comic books are better so you are pretty smart.

Missed you dude I have been on self imposed exile or time out or vacation. Did not realize how much I missed everybody, always loved your posts and POV.

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yep a rare Greathouse bar indeed. Congrats on the score 'Dial. I never had that particular Greathouse bar but have seen some Greathouse bars with that reverse type sell anywhere between $60 to $100. There have been several that sold well over $100. The last Greathouse bar that i sold was for "only" $31 but i is a relatively common Greathouse bar.
No hurry at all SA but if you can find the mintage amount on that particular Greathouse bar as you know the guide book is like 500 dollars these days and can't be bought anywhere on the planet. And no person has ever published that guide book on the internet.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
No hurry at all SA but if you can find the mintage amount on that particular Greathouse bar as you know the guide book is like 500 dollars these days and can't be bought anywhere on the planet. And no person has ever published that guide book on the internet.
Looked through mine with no luck finding that particular bar. May be a different year. Doesn't list mintages either, even though there's a space for it.

IMG_20200731_093040072.jpg
IMG_20200731_093056875.jpg

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Newmisty, I think that book is a friggin collectors item for people from the stone age.
Or stoned age? 1973-1974? $2.75? lol
that's great!

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks Newmist yeah we need that book SA talks about in a video earlier in this thread from like 2 thousand and 10. You can't even buy that book anymore, it's too rare. I think the mintage on my Greathouse bar is like 50 or some crazy low number. Scary low.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Newmisty, I think that book is a friggin collectors item for people from the stone age.
Or stoned age? 1973-1974? $2.75? lol
that's great!
Yep, goes for high dollars. We silver hoars are a nutty bunch!

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Andial according to my 5th edition that bar had a mintage of 85.
of course there is always the possibility that I'm an idiot and am reading it wrong.

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Andial according to my 5th edition that bar had a mintage of 85.
of course there is always the possibility that I'm an idiot and am reading it wrong.
Wow! 85 that is super low! I put in on ebay for $300 we see what happens. Thank you!
Here is the mintage # of mine.
image.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wow! 85 that is super low! I put in on ebay for $300 we see what happens. Thank you!
Here is the mintage # of mine.
View attachment 174762
That's a crazy low mintage. I hope you get what you're asking a a suitable offer. Where did you end up finding the bar anyway?

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That's a crazy low mintage. I hope you get what you're asking a a suitable offer. Where did you end up finding the bar anyway?
I traded my gold for silver a while back at a show and got it all in one ounce silver bars this was one. I know $300 sounds crazy but the add is only costing two bucks if no sale. These greathouse productions bars are truly rare. I might put it up for sale or trade here at a more reasonable price once i find out what it is really worth.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I traded my gold for silver a while back at a show and got it all in one ounce silver bars this was one. I know $300 sounds crazy but the add is only costing two bucks if no sale. These greathouse productions bars are truly rare. I might put it up for sale or trade here at a more reasonable price once i find out what it is really worth.
You doing a "make offer" on it?

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yes no offers or watchers yet but let me check.
22 views 1 watcher.

gringott

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I don't know anything at all, but come on, that serial number looks like it was stamped in the edge tomorrow.

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Was just informed Tom and Nancy Greathouse had these bars minted for family only, never were sold to the public.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The reverse looks like the greathouse-6, But without the anniversary writing.
Archie Kidd book #5 shows a description that the die was recut to become their No-7 reverse.
Has the front of the greathouse-20, but in the book I cant make out the writing on the bottom.
Assuming it's the Christmas 1979 (TRG-20AS) mintage of 85 in the Antique Silver finish (that says reverse type-5 unless it's an error in the book? and should be a -6 reverse)
Resized_20200731_192846_350578478892044.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Was just informed Tom and Nancy Greathouse had these bars minted for family only, never were sold to the public.
Get the F out of here! You may want to update your price to reflect such provenance. Did they give you any corroborating sources?

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
No other sources on that, thanks rte for the added information. SA is probably the authority on this bar will wait to see what he says.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Can anyone help?
Hamilton Bar, Idaho Variety Bar (correct date, replacement bar for earlier stamped ,wrong-date)

I have several of these, like the serial numbered top bar, but, I only have one that's completely different as there are hallmarks included along with .999 stamped into the edge of this bar

Is there a HAM # or other catalog number associated with this type bar? (it's not 541 or 541v, it's different because of the hallmarks)

and, notice the die placement, it's different on this one bar only
1596289304484.jpg

1596289340682.jpg

1596289550746.jpg

Thanks

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I know this is an art bar thread, but while we're asking for assistance...

Anybody know of an online site to check the values of civil war tokens?

Thanks in advance!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've missed this thread!

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I know this is an art bar thread, but while we're asking for assistance...

Anybody know of an online site to check the values of civil war tokens?

Thanks in advance!
Use EBAY

Also the U.S. Coin "Red Book" has them in it too...

BUT Ebay is more on point for just about everything for a good ballpark figure...

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
BTW silver is now $25.00 ish and soon to double...

Never see those old figures again....

andial

Stable
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Can anyone help?
Hamilton Bar, Idaho Variety Bar (correct date, replacement bar for earlier stamped ,wrong-date)

I have several of these, like the serial numbered top bar, but, I only have one that's completely different as there are hallmarks included along with .999 stamped into the edge of this bar

Is there a HAM # or other catalog number associated with this type bar? (it's not 541 or 541v, it's different because of the hallmarks)

and, notice the die placement, it's different on this one bar only
View attachment 174846

View attachment 174848

View attachment 174851

Thanks
Buck check this silver bar site out.
https://secure28.securewebsession.com/rivercitycoins.com/silverartbars/silverartbar.html

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Online:
I use NumisMedia FMV Price Guide - $20 St. Gaudens
PCGS Coin Price Guide; The industry standard for all coins
NGC also has a price guide - Saint-Gaudens $20

They give me an overview of all gold coins even modern ones

They will also show you silver ONE OUNCE COINS that would DIRECTLY relate to the SILVER ART BARS HEREIN...