• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

8 classic home features that are hot again

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Do you ever have deja vu? 8 classic home features that are hot again
By Dana Dratch • Bankrate.com

Do you ever have deja vu?
Previous
1 of 9

Tom Kelley Archive/Retrofile RF/Getty Images

Not everything old is new again.

But just like Sinatra-style hats and skinny ties, some classic home features are timeless. From glass bricks to free-form pools, midcentury glamor is back.

And those midcentury modern homes "are (some) of our hottest houses now," says Pat Vredevoogd Combs, past president of the National Association of Realtors and Realtor with Coldwell Banker AJS Schmidt Realty in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

As a result, builders are incorporating some of those design features into new homes, she says.

What's old is new
"We're seeing people ask for a contemporary look, from the '50s," says Combs.

Look for clean lines, smaller and more organized spaces, and energy efficiency. "We're going back to usability. Not froufrou stuff -- a clean look," she says.

Tastes are regional, too, says Ron Phipps, principal with Phipps Realty of Warwick, Rhode Island, and past president of the National Association of Realtors.

"While there are features that come back and have a great resurgence, they're very influenced by geography," he says.

And if you're already ready to shop for a mortgage, find the best deal today by searching Bankrate.com.

Some things happen over and over again, as in the movie "Groundhog Day." These 8 home features were big in decades past and are hot again.

more here:

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/rea...atures-that-are-hot-again-1.aspx?ic_id=nwsltr

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I opted not to have a front porch on my new home because the roof lines looked stupid. Wallpaper is still nasty. We got the almost black kitchen cabinets and granite because that's what my wife wanted and it's contemporary. Not my taste, but I definitely did not want white farm cabinets. My first home built in 1958 had stained birch farm cabinets. Yuck

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I like the simple look. The homes today are all California huge.

Big great rooms that cost a bundle to heat in the winter. Not a problem in Cali where it's temperate most the time.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I turn on the heater about 7 days per year when it dips into the low 50s and upper 40s at night. From April to October we have the air conditioning on 24/7. There is a cold front coming in tonight where we will have overnight lows in the low 60s and highs during the day around 75*, absolutely perfect. Leave the sliding glass doors open to let the wind come off the water into the house to air the farts out. Pictured is the great room on the resale. Behind Clint is the other half that goes out to the canal.
Livingroom.jpg

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I just live in a van down by the river