• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

8 Reales coins

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
So who knows about 8 Reales coins? How do you appraise their worth, estimate their age, determine their authenticity? Is age the major influential factor in their worth? Older ones, like this:

8 Reale.jpg

Articles like this one make me wary of any purchase.

NGC Chat Boards

I've always wanted one of these 'piece of eight’ coins for my collection and I thought maybe I could pick some brains here to find out what to look out for. We got a coin show here in Seattle this weekend.

BF

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hum, guess no one has any clues for me here. I see ebait prices run from about $135.00 up a thousand or so. Pretty wide spread and I can't see why there should be such disparity. Oh well, I ain't in it for profit, it's just an 'I want' thing, so I'll find one I like and buy it after I haggle a bit.

BF

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I tried to investigate this a few years ago. A co-worker's family had large acreage, upon which is a natural salt lick. At that salt lick, there was a trading post early in Kentucky's history. The buildings are long gone. Her cousin was using a metal detector to find stuff. He found forks, knives, buttons, etc. He also found pieces of eight, if I remember right some wedges and some full ones. I believe I posted pictures of them here, but I can't find them. I was unable to get a final accurate value. These coins were typical currency in early America.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I got three for 30$ each about 15 years ago. You know they are old by the cracks and the copper bubbles on em.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
1521302757422.png

I guess the copper bubbles are specific to shipwreck finds - that must be where mine came from.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Gerk! I'd never buy something like those...
Looks like a pile of melted silver coins.
I'm lookin for somethin purdy

I'm gonna take off for the show in an hour or so, and if I get anything I'll report back here.

BF

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
The perdy ones are expensive.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yeah, I was afraid of that. I'm thinkin about $200 would be in my price range.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
You can see normal prices by looking your coin up on ebay. It'll give you a good idea of what you got.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I tried to buy the coins from the guy who "found" them, but he did not bite. Did not want to sell.
On reflection, the coins were in great shape, which now leads me to think perhaps the "find" was a cover story for "stole".

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well, I'm sure glad I didn't get back here from the show only to find 27 answers to my OP. :D:D (these new smileys LLS)

OK, might as well give a report on the Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association Coin Show running this weekend in Seattle. I usually get there early enough to avoid the casual browsers, so there wasn’t much of a crowd yet —

P1010479.JPG

The premiums seem to have reduced a bit, and there were a number of 100 oz Ag bars for sale — something that had been missing previously. There were about 50 -60 tables. One fellow had a collection of 5 and 10 oz, loaf style, Engelhard bars for sale. Looked like he had about twenty of them all together. I checked, and he wanted Ebait prices for them. All of them that I looked at were in the $350 to $500 range. I had to pass.

Not as many vendors selling numismatics or paper currency only, and most every table had SAEs, gold coins and a few bars of Ag & Au for sale. There was a lot of silver for sale, bars, coins, sterling and what not. Seems like everyone was wantin to get rid of their silver, I was surprised I didn’t see Andial or stonedywankanobe there sellin theirs. Spent about an hour and a half there and by the time I left the crowd had increased a bit.

As I first posted; I was goin to the show to look for a ‘piece of eight’ and I did select one and, after a bit of haggling over the price I purchased this coin for $300 — a small 10% reduction from the asked price. I’m happy — didn’t want to spend quite that much but, after looking over the offerings in the show it seemed to be the best lookin one reasonably close to my price range (a price range is only a suggestion, right?).

8 Reales.jpg
.................................................................Rev........................................................................................................................................Obv......................................................................
Weight – 26.7 grams​

Here are the notations on the slip:

1598 – 1621
Bolivia
Phillip III
COB 8 Reales
Obv arms
Rev cross.

So, what do ya think? Should I have bought one that you had instead?
BF

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Up until the last few years you could buy them on CraigsList from a guy who poached them off Jensen Beach. They were from the 1715 Plate Fleet wreck which gave the Florida Treasure Coast its name. I should have bought as many as I could. they were cheap.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I vaguely remember them being for sale somewhere for $35 to $50

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Up until the last few years you could buy them on CraigsList from a guy who poached them off Jensen Beach. They were from the 1715 Plate Fleet wreck which gave the Florida Treasure Coast its name. I should have bought as many as I could. they were cheap.
Good, thanks, nick, now I know where it probably came from.

BF

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
You can buy them down in the Keys at Mel Fisher's Museum. There are some genuine coins and other made recently from silver salvaged from the wreck. Some of them are stamped REPLICA so as not to defraud.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I found a nice 8 reale coin in twenty feet of water offa the coast of Floriduh. It is almost as if it was Fate.

I was standing on the back shelf of my bud's dive boat, just about to put my tank on. A small wave tipped me off, and I simply went down to the white sand bottom to put the rig on... no big thing.

As I reached around for a buckle, my right pinkie fingie bumped sumpin. It was this:

mypcof8.jpg

...without the gold holder, of course. So there I was, in the "sahara" as we called white sand, flinging my hands back and forth, waving sand away.

It was only about six inches before I hit white bedrock, and I kept on waving and searching.

On the boat, sumbody said, "What the hell is Waltie doin'? Ain't no lobsters there. He's just sitting there waving his arms around."
After about ten minutes, my bud (boat owner) jumped in to see just what the hell I was doing, holding up everybody from the lobster dive.

When he got down to me, I held the coin up; his eyes got so big!!

Then HE joined me.

After a few more minutes, EVERYBODY on the fargin boat (now anchored) was down there, fanning sand to bedrock.

It was the only thing found. I showed it to Mel Fisher (yeah, I knew him) a coupla weeks later, and he identified it for me (after grilling me 3rd degree style about the location !!!!!!!!) as coming from the Senora de las Marivellas (Our Lady of Marvels).

Our Lady of Marvels did not sink within thirty fargin miles of where I found the coin. He said it was a "dump coin: -- that is, the ship was coming apart and treasure was falling out of it as it was swept toward the Islands where it sank.

He was able to identify the assayer, the Potosi Mint mark, date (1655) yada. Neato, eh wot?

I would not take $5000 for it.

You just GOTTA click on this link -- the story is very interesting: http://artifactexchange.com/index.php/shipwrecks/the-maravillas

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Here I yam, holding one of only two known specimens of a Star Coin. I was on the Ella Worley III as a treasure salvor when it was found. The only other one is in the Fla. museum. It is valued at $50,000 <-- TINS

me&pcof8.jpg

PS: I was NOT the finder, merely the holding dude. The guy that made this design of a piece of 8 was one unlucky summonabench. Instead of becoming the King Of The New World (which would have happened) he wound up being drawn and quartered on orders from the pissed off Pope. But that's another story.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It was never found. And THAT is why the Pope got pissed. Instead of an "8" on the obverse, this guy (I have his name somewhere) put a star that looked like a Star of David with the bottom point being elongated, pointing down between the Pillars of Hercules.

A religious symbol. <--- EEEK. EEEK! Without the Pope's permission/payoff. The Pope had the entire remaining tons of these new coin melted down. And he got all OVER Phil the Second's Spico Ass.

He'd have been the King OTNWorld if the fargin Lady din' sink.