• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

A Glimmer of Hope For Federal Cannabis Reform

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
US moves to change cannabis laws by removing federal punishment, opening up banking, applying taxation

Michael R. Blood
AP
Sat, 09 Feb 2019 08:16 UTC

© AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, File
FILE - In this Dec. 19, 2018, file photo, Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., joined at left by Sen. Patty Murray, D-Ore., speaks during a news conference to press Congress to intervene on behalf of the Affordable Care Act, after a federal judge in Texas ruled it unconstitutional, on Capitol Hill in Washington. Wyden has proposed legislation that would give states a free hand to allow legal marijuana markets without the threat of federal criminal intervention.
Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden proposed legislation Friday that would give states a free hand to allow legal cannabis markets without the threat of federal criminal intervention, the latest push in Congress to bolster the nation's burgeoning pot industry.

The proposal, identical to a bill in the House, aims to ease the longstanding conflict between states where cannabis is legal in some form and the U.S. government, which categorizes marijuana as a dangerous illegal drug, similar to LSD or heroin.

"The federal prohibition of marijuana is wrong, plain and simple," Wyden, a Democrat, said in a statement. "Too many lives have been wasted, and too many economic opportunities have been missed."

It remains unclear if Wyden's bill would have a chance of clearing the Republican-controlled Senate.

The Democratic majority in the House appears more open to considering proposals to ease federal restrictions on marijuana. The chamber has set a hearing next week on a bill intended to make banking services more widely available for pot companies.

A proposal similar to Wyden's previously languished in the Senate and House.

However, Rep. Earl Blumenauer, an Oregon Democrat carrying the current bill in the House, said voters have "elected the most pro-cannabis Congress in American history."

"It's tough to see how things will shake out, but there is a very serious chance cannabis policy reform will move in the Senate," said Morgan Fox of the National Cannabis Industry Association.

Most Americans live in states where pot can be legally purchased for medical or recreational use, and the move to loosen federal restrictions on marijuana came as the issue has played into the emerging 2020 presidential campaign.

The proposal would take marijuana off the federal controlled substances list, and remove federal criminal penalties for individuals and businesses acting in compliance with state marijuana laws.

It would also reduce barriers for legal marijuana businesses to get access to banking.

The bill is part of a three-bill package: A second would impose a tax on marijuana products similar to federal excise taxes on alcohol, while a third would allow state-legal marijuana businesses to claim tax deductions and credits.

Justin Strekal, political director of the pro-legalization group NORML, said in a statement that the proposal is another sign of the "growing public support for ending our failed war on cannabis consumers."

Former House Speaker John Boehner, who sits on the board of cannabis company Acreage Holdings, on Friday announced the formation of an industry-backed lobbying group that would push for national marijuana reforms.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
How many States restrict personal gun rights by tying gun rights with marijuana use?

Q: 'cause I really don't know:
If I were to be prescribed SSRI candy, how many States tie gun ownership rights along with taking serotonin blockers?

It's but a constant struggle for We The People:
They make us criminals, then they make us not-criminals, but then they make us criminals again when we utilize that not-criminal component which they just gave back to us

Power AND Control along with a confusing array of laws and edicts which may change at a moments notice

All the while, our leaders eat our children, drink their blood, this after hours of abusing and torturing them

but we can't smoke pot and own a weapon, Florida comes to mind, I heard this happens in at least Florida IIRC

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The government is way out of control.

If they can keep you from owning a gun because you use medical marijuana, couldn’t they also take away your right to free speech for using the plant also?

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
How many States restrict personal gun rights by tying gun rights with marijuana use?

Q: 'cause I really don't know:
If I were to be prescribed SSRI candy, how many States tie gun ownership rights along with taking serotonin blockers?

It's but a constant struggle for We The People:
They make us criminals, then they make us not-criminals, but then they make us criminals again when we utilize that not-criminal component which they just gave back to us

Power AND Control along with a confusing array of laws and edicts which may change at a moments notice

All the while, our leaders eat our children, drink their blood, this after hours of abusing and torturing them

but we can't smoke pot and own a weapon, Florida comes to mind, I heard this happens in at least Florida IIRC

c'mon! You know as well as I do that the state is doing this as a condition upon which they will allow marijuana use. Did no one see this coming? If cannabis is removed from federal control, what leverage do states have to keep such gun laws? NONE! What then happens is that pro-gun Americans will have to once again engage the STATE governments in battles to retain/restore gun rights per the 2nd amendment. This CAN invite the federal supreme court. Think the states want that? The states will lose many of their non-compliant gun laws/regulations. BIG pain for libtard plans!

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Any politician that thinks they have the power to take away anyones god given rights should immediately be removed from power. I'm not sure what the process is and it's probably different for every state but the removal of these retards that continuously violate the constitution is the only fix.

I'd also like to see the state and feds make restitution to all those who have been in jail over the years for anything to do with a plant and return all property seized under these stupid laws.

One the feds change the law I'm pretty sure that frees up resources to take on the stupid state laws that violate the 2nd amendment.

Just wanted to add, I think the banks are drooling thinking about all that cash sitting on the sidelines waiting to come into the system.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The entire premise of a plant being illegal is beyond absurd. It is just stoooopid.
It's not stupid from the perspective of the control forces directly persecuting free thinkers and open minds. It's very sensible. Just not fair, good or just.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'd also like to see the state and feds make restitution to all those who have been in jail over the years for anything to do with a plant and return all property seized under these stupid laws.
A-MEN to that!

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
In snowflakeland only the CWP applicants are asked about marijuana consumption to my knowledge.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Just wanted to add, I think the banks are drooling thinking about all that cash sitting on the sidelines waiting to come into the system.
Maybe it will come into being like the CRP (conservation reserve program) program, and in fact be a stealth bank bailout.