• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

A guy tried to rob me last week...thank goodness I had a gun!

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
shoot straight.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Ah... This bondsman thing is not something I understood.
It may not be allowed there. There are several states here ( Kentucky is one of them) that do not allow Bail Bondsmen. It is a division of the Courts.
Of course many on the run from the courts / bondsman come to hide out in S.E. Kentucky in the mountains. U.S. Marshals get involved tracking those people down along with the local and county LEOs.

Reactions: Zed

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
In California, it is very simple. The defendant pays 10% to the bondsman, and never sees it
again, no matter what.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Most bail bond co's. are owned by lawyers and judges, with ex LEO types running the business. The bail bond co has an 'insurance bond' secured by real property ( like a rental/s - in fact, I rented from a lawyer that also had a bail bond co, and the house I lived in was security for his 'insurance bond' - the company can only secure bail bonds within the limits of their ' insurance bond'). If the bail bond co has a 100k insurance bond, they can do 10 - 100,000 dollar bail bonds @ 10% of the bail bond.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, that probably explains why they wear the trigger out in most of the vid's I've seen. It always looks more like spray and pray than targeted response to me.

I must have been the difference -

Always in the TOP TEN SHOOTERS via the monthly newsletter -

Over a thousand in the department back in 1969 to 1989 -

Times gone by... sadly...

Tell them to watch the front (lighted) sight & squeeze the trigger
BE SURPRISED!

I had my dad's custom LAPD grips (also a distinguished expert) and the dirtbags KNEW I would KILL them dead -

Funny how that works...

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I must have been the difference -

Always in the TOP TEN SHOOTERS via the monthly newsletter -

Over a thousand in the department back in 1969 to 1989 -

Times gone by... sadly...

Tell them to watch the front (lighted) sight & squeeze the trigger
BE SURPRISED!

I had my dad's custom LAPD grips (also a distinguished expert) and the dirtbags KNEW I would KILL them dead -

Funny how that works...

Most of the law around here are life long hunters and gun owners, they also go to the range for organized practice - I wouldn't want to be shot at by them.

Silver

Midas Board Mmbr
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
He's probably ok with the his living arrangements.

And he knows that whatever sentence he receives at trial, he will be credited with time served.

Last edited:

Zed

Argent
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Most of the law around here are life long hunters and gun owners, they also go to the range for organized practice - I wouldn't want to be shot at by them.

What's that, country v city? Most of the stuff I have seen has been in the city or burbs... you know the sort of vids.

Zed

Argent
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Most bail bond co's. are owned by lawyers and judges, with ex LEO types running the business.

So no conflict of interest then?

Sounds a bit iffy... just sayin.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
So no conflict of interest then? Sounds a bit iffy... just sayin.

One of the reasons states w/ No Bail bonds men, like Kentucky, do not allow it as a business. It was argued the Bondsmen would only Cherry Pick "defendants" that the risks were minimal, and the rest would have to sit until trial dates.
This way the defendant is bonded by the courts and all are entitled to a bail unless specified by the judge/courts.

Nickelless

If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox
Midas Member
Reaction score
I just realized I'd never posted a followup to this. The kid who tried to rob me in 2019 finally took a plea bargain at the beginning of 2022 and is about to be released from prison and will then serve four years formal probation. I was able to make a statement at his sentencing in February, and this was the statement I read...

Attachments

• lettertodaivionne.jpg
    lettertodaivionne.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 61

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Veey nice, @Nickelless very nice indeed.

Reading it brought a tear to me eye.

What was his reaction to you reading that, and were you able to send him the Bible?

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Whatever,,, you should have sent him on a one way trip.

I don't know why but this tilts me and I mean no disrespect to you. I'm sorry.

Nickelless

Midas Member
Reaction score
Veey nice, @Nickelless very nice indeed.

Reading it brought a tear to me eye.

What was his reaction to you reading that, and were you able to send him the Bible?
I was so nervous as I was reading this in court I really didn't notice his reaction as I was reading it. But the hearing continued for probably 90 minutes after I read my statement. I sat halfway between the judge's bench and where Daivionne was sitting as I was reading the statement, then went back into the seating in the back with my sister. After some other back and forth between him and the judge, Daivionne turned around with his counsel and faced me directly as the judge asked if I agreed to the sentencing guidelines that he was about to hand down, and he asked me if I wanted to say anything else to Daivionne. It had come out during the hearing that Daivionne had been on several illicit substances at the time of the robbery attempt. As someone with recovering addicts in my family, including my sister and my favorite uncle, I told him I held no ill feelings toward him whatsoever and that I hoped he did exactly what he was advised to do to get clean and stay clean, and stay out of trouble with the law. He apparently didn't have any previous criminal record, and drug use seemed to be what changed him from a directionless but up to that point crime-free life to committing one truly stupid act he didn't recall in great detail afterward because he was so stoned. I was in fact able to send him a Bible afterward, but I haven't heard anything since that time. I had "Jesus loves you, Daivionne" embossed on the front of the Bible.

One other really cool detail that came out after the sentencing: As everything was ending and we were all filing out of the courtroom, I happened to overhear someone call out "Keonna!" to his ex-girlfriend, who had testified as the mother of Daivionne's child. I wanted to talk to her to find out if she was the same Keonna who had been my late wife's supervisor at the job she worked at about five years ago, because that's not a name I've heard very often around here. Well, as it turned out, she wasn't my wife's old supervisor, but she was in fact the granddaughter of an extremely good friend of mine who is a very strong follower of Christ, so to have someone with a rock-solid faith in a position of influence in both Daivionne's life and in the life of his baby's mother, who is also a good friend of mine, was absolutely amazing. I don't think any of this happened by accident at all.

Nickelless

Midas Member
Reaction score

Most of us have probably done monumentally stupid things when we were teenagers that we regretted later and we appreciated God's grace for not letting us feel the full impact of our own stupidity and giving us a second chance. I know I'm happy for second chances the Lord has given to me, and I hope this same grace will transform this kid's life.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I was so nervous as I was reading this in court I really didn't notice his reaction as I was reading it. But the hearing continued for probably 90 minutes after I read my statement. I sat halfway between the judge's bench and where Daivionne was sitting as I was reading the statement, then went back into the seating in the back with my sister. After some other back and forth between him and the judge, Daivionne turned around with his counsel and faced me directly as the judge asked if I agreed to the sentencing guidelines that he was about to hand down, and he asked me if I wanted to say anything else to Daivionne. It had come out during the hearing that Daivionne had been on several illicit substances at the time of the robbery attempt. As someone with recovering addicts in my family, including my sister and my favorite uncle, I told him I held no ill feelings toward him whatsoever and that I hoped he did exactly what he was advised to do to get clean and stay clean, and stay out of trouble with the law. He apparently didn't have any previous criminal record, and drug use seemed to be what changed him from a directionless but up to that point crime-free life to committing one truly stupid act he didn't recall in great detail afterward because he was so stoned. I was in fact able to send him a Bible afterward, but I haven't heard anything since that time. I had "Jesus loves you, Daivionne" embossed on the front of the Bible.

One other really cool detail that came out after the sentencing: As everything was ending and we were all filing out of the courtroom, I happened to overhear someone call out "Keonna!" to his ex-girlfriend, who had testified as the mother of Daivionne's child. I wanted to talk to her to find out if she was the same Keonna who had been my late wife's supervisor at the job she worked at about five years ago, because that's not a name I've heard very often around here. Well, as it turned out, she wasn't my wife's old supervisor, but she was in fact the granddaughter of an extremely good friend of mine who is a very strong follower of Christ, so to have someone with a rock-solid faith in a position of influence in both Daivionne's life and in the life of his baby's mother, who is also a good friend of mine, was absolutely amazing. I don't think any of this happened by accident at all.
Perhaps there are no coincidences.

KnowWhy

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just realized I'd never posted a followup to this. The kid who tried to rob me in 2019 finally took a plea bargain at the beginning of 2022 and is about to be released from prison and will then serve four years formal probation. I was able to make a statement at his sentencing in February, and this was the statement I read...
Sweet, Nick. That’s what it’s all about

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Most of us have probably done monumentally stupid things when we were teenagers that we regretted later and we appreciated God's grace for not letting us feel the full impact of our own stupidity and giving us a second chance. I know I'm happy for second chances the Lord has given to me, and I hope this same grace will transform this kid's life.
I'm not sure about all that but I respect your choice. I am glad you survived.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Wow! Great letter!

A 3 yr vacation at the Graybar motel... 4yrs probation, maybe that caused him some introspection?

reading the bible couldn't hurt....

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Wow! Great letter!

A 3 yr vacation at the Graybar motel... 4yrs probation, maybe that caused him some introspection?

reading the bible couldn't hurt....
Prisons are the institutions for Criminal Higher Learning.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Yes they are.

I'm in favor of corporal punishment. Flogging - in the town square. Center of whatever mega-mall is popular, if you like. People need to see it; and it needs to happen and it needs to hurt. To maim, even.

What we are doing now, is not working. That includes prison as well as "praying for the one who wronged me." God will do with him as God wills. MY will would have been, had I been able, finish him off. If not, I'd have damned him in open court.

Forgiveness is for the Confessional. Social order, lies with such realities as a loaded gun or a broken skull.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Probation? He should be appealing his gun shot wounds to a higher authority

Forgiveness isn't my job

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

I understand your position. It leaves me conflicted, since I would probably -- if not certainly -- have done exactly as you would have.

The "Nickeless Treatment" is noble. And when it works, it is epic. I am not a nice enough person to take that route, but then I am a scarred-up old fart.

So it looks like the bottom line is: If you are gonna try that shit, do NOT try it with DodgebyDave, BeefJerky, Casey Jones, or any other of the hardcases out there, or you will not have any time at all to reflect on your error. No matter what your background, you will have no foreground.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
The "Nickeless Treatment" is noble.
Yes, but keep in mind that the Nickeless treatment only came after the fact. He did in fact shoot the guy at the time of the attempted robbery. Which, at the time was the right thing to do.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but keep in mind that the Nickeless treatment only came after the fact. He did in fact shoot the guy at the time of the attempted robbery. Which, at the time was the right thing to do.
Yes. I should have been clearer: *IF* I shoot someone, I shoot them until their spirit rises to the sky. Otherwise, I do not shoot them.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It's tax Peyer founded Continuing Education" for criminals....with handball, TV and free food

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I should have been clearer: *IF* I shoot someone, I shoot them until their spirit rises to the sky. Otherwise, I do not shoot them.
I'm thinking he may have only shot him once because per the article, the perp immediately turned and ran away. In some States you can get in trouble for firing at a fleeing person. I do not know if that is the case in @Nickelless 's State or not.
....but in my State you can shoot someone immediately before an imminent robbery/rape/murder/arson, during the crime, and as well as immediately after when they are attempting to flee. That means shooting them in the back is a-ok.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
I've seen too many reports of felons killing sheeple for a dollar 95

Unsolved (15 years now) home invasion a stones throw away was for 200 dollars

Justice is a fickle thing, regardless the law is no longer an effective deterrent. If it ever was.

Anyway I will concede that this was he tells his peers in con college

"I got shot and they are laffin"

Should at least send him bible

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I've seen too many reports of felons killing sheeple for a dollar 95

Unsolved (15 years now) home invasion a stones throw away was for 200 dollars

Justice is a fickle thing, regardless the law is no longer an effective deterrent. If it ever was.
"the law is no longer an effective deterrent. If it ever was..."
Here is California, the law is effective...at disarming citizens...

Nickelless

Midas Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking he may have only shot him once because per the article, the perp immediately turned and ran away. In some States you can get in trouble for firing at a fleeing person. I do not know if that is the case in @Nickelless 's State or not.
....but in my State you can shoot someone immediately before an imminent robbery/rape/murder/arson, during the crime, and as well as immediately after when they are attempting to flee. That means shooting them in the back is a-ok.
The law gives you the right to defend yourself to the point of stopping the threat. The entire robbery attempt was over in 10 seconds. People who haven't shot a firearm in self-defense don't realize how quickly this kind of situation passes. The only reason I was ready for it and it unfolded as it did was because of years and years of mental preparation for what I imagined to be the most likely deadly-force scenarios I might encounter as a taxi driver. The moment I saw through the rear passenger window that he was pulling out a firearm, the words that came out of my mouth were the exact words I'd been rehearsing for years--"Let me get my money out of my left pocket..." right below my firearm, which I pulled straight up out of its holster, turned my gun and my gaze to my immediate right where he stood outside the car with the muzzle of his gun pointing directly at me, and I fired before he knew what was happening. I fired a total of three shots, hitting him in the shoulder, and then the threat was over and the paramedics and police were on the way. I've talked to a lot of people who have said they can't believe I only hit him in the shoulder after firing three shots, but again, unless you've actually fired a gun in self-defense, you wouldn't believe how quickly it's over. And sure, he was only hit in the shoulder, but a .357 has stopping power, and it did its job of stopping him.

Last edited:

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
The law gives you the right to defend yourself to the point of stopping the threat. The entire robbery attempt was over in 10 seconds. People who haven't shot a firearm in self-defense don't realize how quickly this kind of situation passes. The only reason I was ready for it and it unfolded as it did was because of years and years of mental preparation for what I imagined to be the most likely deadly-force scenarios I might encounter as a taxi driver. The moment I saw through the rear passenger window that he was pulling out a firearm, the words that came out of my mouth were the exact words I'd been rehearsing for years--"Let me get my money out of my left pocket..." right below my firearm, which I pulled straight up out of its holster, turned my gun and my gaze to my immediate right where he stood outside the car with the muzzle of his gun pointing directly at me, and I fired before he knew what was happening. I fired a total of three shots, hitting him in the shoulder, and then the threat was over and the paramedics and police were on the way. Know the law, know your weapon and know when the threat is over.
You done good. :2 thumbs up:

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey @Nickelless , how long did your ears ring after shooting at the guy? Three quick shots from inside the car had to be loud as f'.

Last edited:

Nickelless

Midas Member
Reaction score
Hey @Nickelless , how long did your ears ring after shooting at the guy? Three quick shots from inside the car had to be load as f'.
I honestly don't remember. It was sensory overload on multiple levels with a major adrenaline rush on top of it, followed by several hours talking to police both on-scene and at the police station. But a .357 isn't exactly quiet.

Last edited:

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
The law gives you the right to defend yourself to the point of stopping the threat. The entire robbery attempt was over in 10 seconds. People who haven't shot a firearm in self-defense don't realize how quickly this kind of situation passes. The only reason I was ready for it and it unfolded as it did was because of years and years of mental preparation for what I imagined to be the most likely deadly-force scenarios I might encounter as a taxi driver. The moment I saw through the rear passenger window that he was pulling out a firearm, the words that came out of my mouth were the exact words I'd been rehearsing for years--"Let me get my money out of my left pocket..." right below my firearm, which I pulled straight up out of its holster, turned my gun and my gaze to my immediate right where he stood outside the car with the muzzle of his gun pointing directly at me, and I fired before he knew what was happening. I fired a total of three shots, hitting him in the shoulder, and then the threat was over and the paramedics and police were on the way. I've talked to a lot of people who have said they can't believe I only hit him in the shoulder after firing three shots, but again, unless you've actually fired a gun in self-defense, you wouldn't believe how quickly it's over. And sure, he was only hit in the shoulder, but a .357 has stopping power, and it did its job of stopping him.
What happened to the suspect?
Did the police take your 357?
Did the authorities try to charge you with a crime?
Where did this take place?
I wonder what would happen in California, where permits are not issued
to (ordinary) citizens.
I have never heard any anecdotes--it may be rare, and, they may cover up the
stories.
Good post and thank you.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen in California
My guess would be that in Commiefornia you'd get life in prison for what he did. Criminals are a protected class there.