• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

A guy tried to rob me last week...thank goodness I had a gun!

WillieTheKid

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info about your experience, Nickelless. Horrendous thing you went through there. Sorry you had to go through that.

Also, sorry to hear about your wife. My condolences.

........Willie

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The law gives you the right to defend yourself to the point of stopping the threat. The entire robbery attempt was over in 10 seconds. People who haven't shot a firearm in self-defense don't realize how quickly this kind of situation passes. The only reason I was ready for it and it unfolded as it did was because of years and years of mental preparation for what I imagined to be the most likely deadly-force scenarios I might encounter as a taxi driver. The moment I saw through the rear passenger window that he was pulling out a firearm, the words that came out of my mouth were the exact words I'd been rehearsing for years--"Let me get my money out of my left pocket..." right below my firearm, which I pulled straight up out of its holster, turned my gun and my gaze to my immediate right where he stood outside the car with the muzzle of his gun pointing directly at me, and I fired before he knew what was happening. I fired a total of three shots, hitting him in the shoulder, and then the threat was over and the paramedics and police were on the way. I've talked to a lot of people who have said they can't believe I only hit him in the shoulder after firing three shots, but again, unless you've actually fired a gun in self-defense, you wouldn't believe how quickly it's over. And sure, he was only hit in the shoulder, but a .357 has stopping power, and it did its job of stopping him.
Ironically it was probably one of the last things he actually expected.

Nickelless

If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox
Midas Member
Reaction score
What happened to the suspect?
He was transported to the hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound and then taken to jail to await a court hearing.
Did the police take your 357?
Yes, because it was considered evidence. I got it back a little over a year ago after I called a longtime friend who works in the prosecutor's office to see if it was still needed for the investigation. The suspect was already in the process of trying to arrange a plea bargain, so it was no longer necessary to hold my gun as evidence.
Did the authorities try to charge you with a crime?
No, I was cleared after police interviewed me. See the original post: http://www.goldismoney2.com/threads...-last-week-thank-goodness-i-had-a-gun.270593/
Where did this take place?
Indiana, a bright-red, gun-friendly state. Constitutional carry in Indiana takes effect on July 1.
I wonder what would happen in California, where permits are not issued
to (ordinary) citizens.
Only an idiot would want to live in a state with a decreasing population, decreasing standard of living, soaring taxes and soaring crime rate. Indiana might be small and boring, but we haven't lost our common sense.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It's tax Peyer founded Continuing Education" for criminals....with handball, TV and free food
and medical. Don't forget Medical.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Only an idiot would want to live in a state with a decreasing population, decreasing standard of living, soaring taxes and soaring crime rate. Indiana might be small and boring, but we haven't lost our common sense.
Amen, Bro. Nick. No "F"s to give if the entire state sank into the Pacific. I'd throw Buck at life ring. I don't know if any other members live there. They'd get one tossed too.

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Did the police recover the suspect's gun?
What type of gun was it?
Was it stolen?
Did he have a CCW permit? (I know....)
If he had thrown away the gun, and did not talk to the police, would there be any supporting evidence against him?
What kind of 357 did you have? 2 inch barrel?
Interesting that you missed 2 of 3 at that distance.
Good posts, thank you, and, we are all happy that you were unhurt.

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Here in California the police recommend that you do not resist and comply with the demands of robbers, such as this.
That is what they say.
That is not what they do if they have an off-duty challenge--but, of course they are armed.

Nickelless

Midas Member
Reaction score
Did the police recover the suspect's gun?
What type of gun was it?
Was it stolen?
Did he have a CCW permit? (I know....)
His gun was a black semi-auto, but I'm not sure the model or the caliber. I don't know if it was stolen, but he testified at his sentencing hearing that the gun was loaded. He didn't have a CCW permit.
If he had thrown away the gun, and did not talk to the police, would there be any supporting evidence against him?
I called police right after the suspect ran away after I shot him and was able to give cops a description of what he was wearing. As soon as police showed up, paramedics were right behind them because the kid had called 911 saying he allegedly shot himself accidentally. So as I'm in the parking lot on the north end of an apartment complex parallel to a busy street telling police what happened, they radio central dispatch for details on the ambulance call on the south end of the complex to see what report they had received. My description of the suspect, especially what he was wearing, matched bloodied, discarded clothing found nearby. I don't know where his weapon was found, but it matched my description.
What kind of 357 did you have? 2 inch barrel?
Interesting that you missed 2 of 3 at that distance.
I was carrying (and still carry) a Ruger SP101 five-shot with a 2-inch barrel. I don't know if only one shot connected, but one shot did, and it put him in the hospital. What matters is that the threat was stopped and I was safe.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
His gun was a black semi-auto, but I'm not sure the model or the caliber. I don't know if it was stolen, but he testified at his sentencing hearing that the gun was loaded. He didn't have a CCW permit.

I called police right after the suspect ran away after I shot him and was able to give cops a description of what he was wearing. As soon as police showed up, paramedics were right behind them because the kid had called 911 saying he allegedly shot himself accidentally. So as I'm in the parking lot on the north end of an apartment complex parallel to a busy street telling police what happened, they radio central dispatch for details on the ambulance call on the south end of the complex to see what report they had received. My description of the suspect, especially what he was wearing, matched bloodied, discarded clothing found nearby. I don't know where his weapon was found, but it matched my description.

I was carrying (and still carry) a Ruger SP101 five-shot with a 2-inch barrel. I don't know if only one shot connected, but one shot did, and it put him in the hospital. What matters is that the threat was stopped and I was safe.
Do you think that you've become less fearful/concerned about such a thing happening again or more so now that you've very successfully lived through the experience?

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
I'm certain we'll be reading about this POS victimizing someone else in Terra Haute very soon.

Nickelless

Midas Member
Reaction score
Do you think that you've become less fearful/concerned about such a thing happening again or more so now that you've very successfully lived through the experience?
I'm less fearful but still wouldn't want this to ever happen again. Nobody is ever truly emotionally prepared for something like this.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm less fearful but still wouldn't want this to ever happen again. Nobody is ever truly emotionally prepared for something like this.
Even if there's no physical assault...it's a feeling of being violated. Or so I've come to believe, talking with women who've been through it.

Not to demean rape-victims' experiences; but robbery with a deadly weapon, or even fending off an attempt, involves much the same gut-level responses.

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nickelless, you did what you needed to do, you protected yourself.

There are a lot of people that are not going home tonight because they didn't have the ability to protect themselves, you should NEVER feel guilty about this EVER.

I can tell you, and I am not going to go into details here or anywhere else that I have been in and I agree with you, it is not something that I wish on anyone else ever. But NO one out there should be limited from protecting themselves.

Whatever the motivation, what ever reason the individual(s) that threatened you have NO right to deny you of your freedom or your right to life, NO ONE.

This POS is lucky that they are still breathing, that is my individual opinion.