• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

A local report

brosil

Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
In nw Ohio in the little town of Oak Harbor, I stopped in the local grocery to pick up some supplies to make the wife a pineapple upside down cake. There was no tp and not a lot of paper towels.What shocked me somewhat was the near absence of flour. One bag of whole wheat and a bunch of massa in case you want to make tamales. There were still plenty of canned veggies but not a lot of meat, mostly high end cuts. This a farming area filled with Germans. I expected better.
When I got home, the wife was going through The King Arthur Flour Co. catalog. She likes the scone mixes. She asked if she should order some flour. I've been trying to get some rye flour and there's none locally. She tried to order rye,bread flour, unbleached regular and pumpernickel flour. It's all out of stock and no idea when it will be available. How's it going where you live?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
pineapple upside down cake
Wow, I grew up on pineapple upside down cake, that's great stuff ! :2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::finished::finished::finished:
I live way outside of a small town in Orygun, except for ChinaMart & COSTCO, all other stores are keeping up OK. Sure a few things are low or out, but they are restocking quite well.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
In nw Ohio in the little town of Oak Harbor, I stopped in the local grocery to pick up some supplies to make the wife a pineapple upside down cake. There was no tp and not a lot of paper towels.What shocked me somewhat was the near absence of flour. One bag of whole wheat and a bunch of massa in case you want to make tamales. There were still plenty of canned veggies but not a lot of meat, mostly high end cuts. This a farming area filled with Germans. I expected better.
When I got home, the wife was going through The King Arthur Flour Co. catalog. She likes the scone mixes. She asked if she should order some flour. I've been trying to get some rye flour and there's none locally. She tried to order rye,bread flour, unbleached regular and pumpernickel flour. It's all out of stock and no idea when it will be available. How's it going where you live?
Wife got 50# of kyrol flour at Yoders Amish store, also yeast & other baking things & spices.
She makes fantastic bread, I'm gonna ask her to make a pineapple upside down cake, haven't had one in a long time.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Like I said, can't log in without somebody making me hungry! ...and I just ate! :)

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Was in Kroger yesterday in Chillicothe.. Didn't really make it past the veggies at the front of the store but they were well stocked. I got what i needed and left. May go back for a few more tomorrow for a recipe I am making. I'll check the flour when I go and roam around the store and see whats up..

Ohio is probably going into lockdown on Monday. Got it from a reliable source. Lockdown as in closing the borders. Travel within the state will probably still be allowed.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
All this talk of cake is making me hungry. :)
Well, I'm NOT going back into town for a third trip today BUT I want the fix'in for a PUDC ! :2 thumbs up::finished::chef::chef::chef:
edit: Found all the fix'n in our "Quickie Mart" (pantry).

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Wow! We went to Aldi's this morning and all I got was some raspberries for my yogurt, some croissants for sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches, some spaetzle (kinda like German mac'n cheese) and strudel from a new line of German products they're carrying which is why I wanted to go there in the first place. Thanks to the light traffic made it home before the rain came. Tomorrow I'll probably wander over to the liquor store for a 6 pack of dark beer because I want to grill some brats this weekend since we're "supposed" to have sunshine. It will be a good time to try the new spaetzle and have the chocolate-raspberry strudel. If you don't hear from me by Monday rest assured I died a very happy man.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ohio is probably going into lockdown on Monday. Got it from a reliable source. Lockdown as in closing the borders. Travel within the state will probably still be allowed.
Brother called and he heard a very similar thing from a reliable source. She eats at my house on Thanksgiving & I eat at her place at Christmas.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Wow! We went to Aldi's this morning and all I got was some raspberries for my yogurt, some croissants for sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches, some spaetzle (kinda like German mac'n cheese) and strudel from a new line of German products they're carrying which is why I wanted to go there in the first place. Thanks to the light traffic made it home before the rain came. Tomorrow I'll probably wander over to the liquor store for a 6 pack of dark beer because I want to grill some brats this weekend since we're "supposed" to have sunshine. It will be a good time to try the new spaetzle and have the chocolate-raspberry strudel. If you don't hear from me by Monday rest assured I died a very happy man.
Man i love strudel. :).. Now i have to go to Aldis as well. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We had Brats last night, cooked in beer , butter & onions then grilled to perfection, served with the cooked onions & German mustard.
Still can't get that pineapple upside-down cake outa my head.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We had Brats last night, cooked in beer , butter & onions then grilled to perfection, served with the cooked onions & German mustard.
I can't get your "dogs" off my mind. My tongue is beating my eye teeth to death seeing your creations in my mind's eye.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Mmmmm!

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Did you guys know strudel means whirlpool in German?
The appliances?!? A maelstrom? Strudel IS a deep rabbit hole. Had it with leeks, artichoke as well as raspberry, apple, chocolate...amazing what culinary delights can be concocted with pastry!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The appliances?!? A maelstrom? Strudel IS a deep rabbit hole. Had it with leeks, artichoke as well as raspberry, apple, chocolate...amazing what culinary delights can be concocted with pastry!
I have fond memories baking little pies in that folding apparatus that you used to cook over a campfire... Let me see if I can find one...

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Stopped at the bank yesterday to withdraw 5k in FRNs. Was all ready for a load of crap from the drive-in teller & how I was gonna tell them their questions were inappropriate. Anyway, teller was as nice as could be, no objections or questions except how I wanted the cash. Amazing.
I had more trouble doing the same thing several years ago.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I'm waiting on the word for the Barn and The Farm..........they might shut me down

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Alton -- Spaetzle!! <-- I fargin LOVE that stuff. We made our own back in the Olden Days (easypeasy -- us kids did it).

Cannot allow myself to eat it anymore. Eggs, flour, salt (OK so far), butter (uh-oh), whole milk (uh-oh), some heavy cream (bzzzzt!!) and... and... FRY IT. o_O

It is to die for. When you are 79, it is to die FROM. (*sigh*) cry:

Best possible way on the planet earth to serve it: Fried, with thick dark gravy topping. 1000 calories a serving, min.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Stopped at the bank yesterday to withdraw 5k in FRNs. Was all ready for a load of crap from the drive-in teller & how I was gonna tell them their questions were inappropriate. Anyway, teller was as nice as could be, no objections or questions except how I wanted the cash. Amazing.
I had more trouble doing the same thing several years ago.
Did you ask for halves?

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Oregon to go on lock down too. Should be announced during the 10am press conf that the Gov does.

Where California leads, Oregon Follows.....
Sadly ! :totally steamed:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
BFE Wyoming

I have a pantry, not gonna starve soon. After getting divorced I quit cooking. Eat out all the time but this .gov created panic has that all dicked up. While all this chaos has been going on I’ve been doing 16 hour shifts. Finally got off last night and went to Albertsons. It was closed before I got there. Begrudgingly went to Chinamart, it was wiped out.

Got up this morning and hit Smiths (Kroger), they were very well stocked. Went to Albertsons to pick up some stuff only they carry. They were picked but not picked clean.

Walmart, never again. I didn’t know they had went entirely to self service checkout. God how I hate that place.

Scorpio

Hunter of elusive Beer Virus
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
grocery store here that does a good job,

many empty spaces on the gondolas/shelving

meats were hit and miss, lots of brats, no hamburger of any type

some dirty bird layin' around

bread isle picked over

canned goods were hit and miss while produce areas were ok and stocked

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I went to Aldi's trying to buy a loaf of bread. No luck; but no matter. I can bake my own. But I noticed, as I was leaving the store, a woman loading 5# bags of flour into her cart. She had 5 already as I passed her by. The pallet was dwindling fast.

You guys all remember, I am sure, how we discussed how we all needed to be prepped. Because when the shtf it will be too late. That's what we just saw happen.

P.S. Just sold a package of TP to my roomies' brother. Wasn't too fond of parting with it. But what can I do? They had seen my basement and knew I had it. That's the rule I broke: don't let anyone see or know of your supplies.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Stopped at Aldis. Got the strudel and they also had some shnitzel. Bread was well stocked. Got some burger and HD rolls. No TP or paper towels. No flour, no sugar.

On way back stopped at my local IGA. Good meat selection but I am pretty full already and am also splitting a pig with a friend in a couple weeks. They had some cleaning supplies but again no TP. They did have paper towels though.
Another thing of note was the stores were all extremely busy.
Stoped at state liquor store and they were well stocked. Picked up 3 bottles of champagne so I can toast in the new communism with my fellow comrades. And a bottle of scotch so I can drown my sorrows on what could have been........

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I went to Aldi's trying to buy a loaf of bread. No luck; but no matter. I can bake my own. But I noticed, as I was leaving the store, a woman loading 5# bags of flour into her cart. She had 5 already as I passed her by. The pallet was dwindling fast.

You guys all remember, I am sure, how we discussed how we all needed to be prepped. Because when the shtf it will be too late. That's what we just saw happen.

P.S. Just sold a package of TP to my roomies' brother. Wasn't too fond of parting with it. But what can I do? They had seen my basement and knew I had it. That's the rule I broke: don't let anyone see or know of your supplies.
Words on the street now.

30 miles South East of Phoenix

Went to Sprouts yesterday to pick up veggies and a few items like bread, vitamins, nuts and what ever they had in the way of meat. Most everything was good in stock except the meat counter was picked pretty clean. Stopped at Albertsons to check what they had - picked up a roast and some lunch meat. No TP, towels, eggs, dairy and the markets are having trouble keeping the shelves full. Fortunately we have been keeping the pantry full in addition to our preps.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just talked to BIL in stay at home Illinois, anyone notice the shut down states are run by prog'soc/comm's.
Anyway, he just drove past a gun shop in Marengo IL & he said there was a line out the door & was about 100 yds long.
Things are gonna really get stupid.
Watch your six, head on a swivel, have too much ammo with you at all times.