• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

A ride in a Tesla

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Bought the wife's replacement car today since her previous was totaled out a week ago. Found it on Craigslist and bought it from an AF pilot who is stationed at Hurlburt Field flying C130 gunships. I guess he likes things to be exciting because he had just a week ago bought a Tesla. He's still pretty excited about it and almost demanded that we take a ride in it, not that I needed much pushing.

Very nice looking car, alike to other cars in a lot of ways but there are differences. The pilot used an app on his phone to activate the car, a lot more like turning on a TV than cranking up a car. Totally silent, it maneuvered it's way out of the garage, extended the rearview mirrors when clear and started driving out of the subdivision. When a hundred yards from the subdivision's gated entry, the car sent a signal to the gate which was open by the time we got there. Going through, the pilot said he was taking control and warned me that he was going to put his foot in it as we turned on the road, and he did. GOOD GOD, acceleration of the order of 0-60 in 3.1 seconds, maybe the hardest acceleration I've ever felt, on the level with $500,000 supercars, and absolutely silent, no spinning tires. A 650 HP Z06 Corvette won't do that.

I knew a guy who lived in the Keys and had a 29ft boat with twin 427 Holman & Moody's in it. He had named it "Sucker Punch". This Tesla would be the ultimate sucker punch. I can only imagine the look on the kids face in his Camaro as this thing just disappears without a sound.

BTW: The auto drive function is impressive and so advanced over my car's lane keeping and reactive cruise as to be from another century.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
What did the inside of that coffin look like, fit / trim, access to the always necessary cooler?

I've ridden in one, and my take-w-way is that it's electric, so, it should accelerate faster than the wind up of a gas engine, and that IS impressive but I couldn't help think: When will this thing catch on fire? or Kill us by driving under a trailer?

I've always been a believer, these things should be left up to an inept mechanic or a human driver to decide

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've heard of some guys paying for their Tesla by street racing gas engines and smoking em.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I've heard of some guys paying for their Tesla by street racing gas engines and smoking em.
They were taking candy from a baby. The other drivers too glued to their phone to attend physics class?

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
An electric motor has 100% torque at 0 rpm. Superimpose that on a torque-horsepower chart for 4-stroke engines that overlaps at 5250 rpm.
but that couldn't be done 30 years ago, there are some way cool gas applications that won't be released to the public anytime soon, but the potential is built in, it's still there...just gotta unleash it

the 'kids' are still going to break the laws, not of physics, but of the EPA

and for that, I Thank Them!

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Electric is instant torque. Even a Prius will 'do' that.
I think Prius' 0-60 times are on the 10 second range. There are very few gasoline powered car that will do it the low 3's. According to Car and Driver, a 460 HP Mustang GT is in the mid-4's.

"An electric motor has 100% torque at 0 rpm. Superimpose that on a torque-horsepower chart for 4-stroke engines that overlaps at 5250 rpm."

Yes, that's explaining why a Tesla is fast, I'm just saying they are a LOT faster than you expect.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Lecky Noddy car that goes like poop off a shovel!

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Test drove one years ago without the "ludicrous speed" option and it was quite exhilarating...couldnt afford another house payment so I leased a BMW i3 which is pretty quick but not as quick as my Spark EV...327 lb feet of torqueage, spin the tires at will. The 2014 model has 400 ft lbs...wont twist drive shafts off but the launch is amazing...and quiet.

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
gotta remember that the a/c, headlights, and especially the heater suck the life out of the batteries. i always heard they took off like a turpentined dog!

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The Audi R8 is in the mid 3's and thats the fastest car I have ever drivin.
The teslas seem very nice except for the occasional fire. If they could figure out what that is then it would be awesome.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Amazing technology.

I went to a Mecum auction a couple months ago and my early viewing had me put 13 cars on my list to watch/bid. 2nd car up for auction of the 350 was on my list. Everybody probably held back for cars they liked better. So, I end up with a deal on a zinc yellow supercharged Saleen with 16,000 miles. The commute to work has turned a lot sweeter. My son came back from Austin over the holiday and spent 2 hours detailing it. Funny guy. Ahh, he loves his old man...and now my car.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
an extension cord would certainly help