• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

A Simple Method for Softening and Cooking Old Hard Beans

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Ive got a batch soaking in baking soda and boiled water now, for a pot of ham and beans later. This is the third time ive done this method, it works well.

For years I thought old dry beans were trash material.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
This is how my grandmother cooked beans in any shape. Jus/ Sayin'

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I had no idea about this, just got lucky finding the video. I have soaked old beans for multiple days, w no baking soda, and theyd never soften up.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I wonder what the chemistry is...?

For making beans I always put a tablespoon of baking soda in the water and let it soak over night. I thought it helped reduce the flatulence potential... then rinse and cook...

In case folks need it written down​
1 cup old beans - wash and remove floaters.​
3 cups of boiling water - per 1 cup of beans.​
add beans and boil really hard 1 - 2 minutes​
Remove from heat and add​
3/8s teaspoon baking soda to water and beans and leave soak for about an hour, longer if beans are really old. (Might need extra baking soda if beans are really really old. Normally 1st time is enough)​
Rinse them really really good and fill up with water (3 cups per 1 cup beans)​
Bring to a boil​
Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.​
Don't add any salt etc.​

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I wonder what the chemistry is...?

For making beans I always put a tablespoon of baking soda in the water and let it soak over night. I thought it helped reduce the flatulence potential... then rinse and cook...

In case folks need it written down​
1 cup old beans - wash and remove floaters.​
3 cups of boiling water - per 1 cup of beans.​
add beans and boil really hard 1 - 2 minutes​
Remove from heat and add​
3/8s teaspoon baking soda to water and beans and leave soak for about an hour, longer if beans are really old. (Might need extra baking soda if beans are really really old. Normally 1st time is enough)​
Rinse them really really good and fill up with water (3 cups per 1 cup beans)​
Bring to a boil​
Reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.​
Don't add any salt etc.​
And a cup of beans is about 1 lb of beans.

As for the chemistry of it all, I dunno. But the bean solution foams up when the baking soda is added after the initial boil.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I have an Instant Pot pressure cooker, beans keep their shape after 30 minutes. Cook for 45 minutes if you're going for refried or super tender beans.
1 lb beans,
6 cups water
and high pressure setting.

Nothing easier

As for the chemistry, the higher pH of the baking soda water causes the pectin in the cell walls to break down, this results in faster softening of the bean.

Another use of Baking soda: If you ever make your own french fries in a fryer or baked in the oven, try blanching the raw potato pieces in the boiling baking soda water for 30 seconds before cooking. This will create a "soft" outer layer that will crisp up better than the starchy potato itself, again by the alkaline pH causing the polysaccharides to degrade a little.

There is a famous reaction between heat and proteins that causes food to brown, the Maillard Reaction. google it and you'll understand why fish doesn't brown.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Dang! We are a brain trust here!

I'm no scientist/chemist other than baking soda and vinegar 'foam'....

Maillard reaction

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Show em a pic of my ex. If that dont make all their hardness go away, nothing will.