• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Air Rifles

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
A couple of years ago I bought this piece of shit .22 Nitro Venom after reading many glowing reviews. It must have been before folks realized what garbage they were because I paid a couple hundred dollars for it. Now I see they go on sale for about $120 or so. I cant hit shit with the thing. First I replaced the complimentary scope with an aftermarket UTG 3x9. Still shot like junk. Then replaced the trigger with a Charlie Da Tuna set up (actually a nice trigger) but the gun still has little to be desired. Lucky to hit a 6" plate from 40 yards. Groups resemble birdshot...
nitro venom.jpg

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Thanks for the warning.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
My daisy single pump worked great right out of the box

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Air rifles blow man! :moon:

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I got a .177 caliber, Gamo Silent Cat air rifle as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. With the scope and silencer, at first I thought it was a joke. But the joke was on me. It's kind of loud too, even with the silencer.

Never did mount the scope, but for shooting house sparrows and chipmunks with the stock sights at 10-20 yards, I can't miss. I sometimes choose head or gut shots for sport. Depending on the ammo, it's a straight shooter to about 60 yards but after that it drops pretty fast. It can be stored, locked and loaded for months at a time without any noticeable loss of pressure.

Not your childhood Daisy.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Thanks D-FENZ! I could use a decent pellet gun to keep the unwelcome critters at bay.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Here's a picture of the brand - type of air rifle I bought my son for competition shooting, cost a pretty, pretty penny. He'll shoot your eye out!

He uses a scuba tank to refill the air tanks. On a positive note, the rifle has appreciated in value over the years.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I'll say the same thing I tell everyone when they complain about something that others have reviewed well ... have someone else try it. Even the best shot in the world isn't going to shoot well with a gun that doesn't fit. I can't shoot my daughter's bow to save my life, but she's as good with it as I am with my own.

When you first bought it and it "shot like junk" ... did you not consider calling the manufacturer to see if maybe you got a defective? I'm pretty sure Crosman still warranties and services what they make, and I'm absolutely sure they don't want you owning a gun that doesn't hit what it's aimed at.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Air rifles have been around for a surprisingly long time. Lewis & Clark were packing them while exploring and mapping the western US in the early 1800s. Those were .50 caliber and had an effective range of about 125 yards on a full 1500-pump charge. The magazine held 20 lead balls.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I like the cheap Crosman CO2 pistols (2240) and rifles (2260). I also have the multi-pump pistols in .17 (1377) and .22 (1322). The multi-pumps are useful on small garden pests like grasshoppers.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I have a Gamo big cat 1200 with pellets I will sell for cheap if someone wants it. I found out this spring ebay no longer allows you to list pellet guns.
There is nothing wrong with it at all. Comes with a scope too. I just don't use it and I hate to have stuff sitting around.
Like D Fenz said Gamo's are not toys this thing is a killer and it's accurate.

http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=235

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Under or over 500fps?

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Can't touch the link here at work without having the network admin down my neck. Thanks.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I had an American made Daisy 880 10-pump 50 bb SS .177 cal pellet rifle. I learned to shoot lefty & righty and was deadly accurate. Could even double up BBs for flock of seagulls shooting. Pellets were preferred for cane toads, but they were slow single shot. BBs for lizards or anything else.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
In some kind of synergy, I got an advert from Kentucky Gun Company for Air Force airguns. Never heard of them.

http://marketing.kygunco.com/w/qf6k...2A7RpHrkjq763gvQMCQg/c47c8OBTf9GICAL1v892dNGQ
Borrowed a Condor Air Force from a fellow at work. These things are the real fecken deal. Unfortunately they are about a $1000 dollar deal once you buy glass an air tank and fill hose Etc... But I'll admit it exceeded my expectations. I have lost count of the number of Starlings I've thrown out for the coyotes.
@ 42 yards I held at the top of this buggers head...
starling.jpg

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I purchased an Umarex Steel Storm last year. It is the closest to full-auto one can find with 6-shot bursts. I has a 30-round capacity and 300 BB reservoir.

I fabricated a suppressor out of a plastic sprinkler head that was hollowed out and stuffed with cotton. I wrapped one end with black duct tape and just pressed it into the barrel. It was very effective in cutting noise by 50%. I also added a forward vertical grip and sling.

There were 2 COs in the lower grip that popped out like a magazine. Others retrofitted larger, refillable canisters that were connected by flextube. The guns would freeze if you shot hundreds of rounds concurrently. There is also a known design flaw with the feed spring.

Fun gun to shoot squirrels provided you were within 30 feet. They give about 400 fps and have a tendency to spray.

https://www.umarexusa.com/collections/air-rifles/products/umarex-steel-storm

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
A couple of years ago I bought this piece of shit .22 Nitro Venom after reading many glowing reviews. It must have been before folks realized what garbage they were because I paid a couple hundred dollars for it. Now I see they go on sale for about $120 or so. I cant hit shit with the thing. First I replaced the complimentary scope with an aftermarket UTG 3x9. Still shot like junk. Then replaced the trigger with a Charlie Da Tuna set up (actually a nice trigger) but the gun still has little to be desired. Lucky to hit a 6" plate from 40 yards. Groups resemble birdshot... View attachment 90664
Perhaps the bb or pellets you used were inferior, have you tried different brands?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Air guns are fun with live targets. I also used to throw a piece of bread in the lake behind my home and shoot the fish as they came up to eat. You need precise timing, but a head shot really is effective. I also used to shoot wasps off the milk jug buoys my dad used to tie together with rope to mark our water rights & keep the boats away.

Maximus

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Benjamin/ Sheridan 397? Multi pump with a weaver k2 scope. Starlings at 75 yards is very easy shot to make for this rifle. Walmart 10+ years ago for $120.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Perhaps the bb or pellets you used were inferior, have you tried different brands?
Several different pellet brands, shapes and weights. I just made a deal with the fellow I borrowed the .25 cal. AirForce from. I'll never touch another spring gun again. Now I just need to find a SCBA tank and I'll be in business. He will keep the rifle topped off in the meanwhile....

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So I picked up an Airforce Talon in .25 with a Hawke 4x12 optic and after market suppressor system for 6 bills used (as mentioned above). Then found a certified aluminum scuba tank (3000 psi) on craigslist for $75. And I'm in business. Dont know much about these things yet, but they are freaken fun as hell. Thought I would show some capabilities......
Talon III.jpg

Talon II.jpg

50 yards
Talon.jpg

5 shot group at about an inch. And this thing hits hard! I have no doubt it would easily drop a coyote at this range.

Last edited:

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So I picked up an Airforce Talon in .25 with a Hawke 4x12 optic and after market suppressor system for 6 bills used (as mentioned above). Then found a certified aluminum scuba tank (3000 psi) on craigslist for $75. And I'm in business. Dont know much about these things yet, but they are freaken fun as hell. Thought I would show some capabilities......
View attachment 93067

View attachment 93068
50 yards
View attachment 93069
5 shot group at about an inch. And this thing hits hard! I have no doubt it would easily drop a coyote at this range.
BADASS! Thanks for sharing!

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've has this Crossman Phantom for 5-6 years. It was cheap, at least as accurate as I am & reliable. I broke out my chronograph once to see if it would read the .177 pellets and it showed them running right around 1,000 FPS. I like to practice offhand shooting with it.

Crosman Air Rifle
by Tom, on Flickr

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Dang over 700 bucks, I cant fathom spending that on an air rifle.

AirForce Condor SS - Integrally Suppressed Air Rifle - #NotAReview!
TheGunCollective

Published on Oct 23, 2017
Originally aired on 9/6/16. Jon is taking a closer look at the AirForce Condor SS, an integrally suppressed air rifle.

Today's Partners:
• Check out the Condor SS at AGD: https://goo.gl/qXLL37

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
I have had my FX Impact for about a year. A compressor in the basement to fill up my 75 cubic foot carbon fiber air tank, which then is used to fill the cylinder on my air rifle. With the rifle bench resting per the picture above, I can put three shots almost on top of the others at 40 yards. My 30 caliber pellets are 54 grains - you have to see one to appreciate how large they are to the normal .177 gauge pellets a daisy shoots.

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
A friend of mine just instructed me on a very cool embiggening mod for my air rifle. Couldn't wait to get home to try it out. My excitement was soon justified. It's really simple. You gotta try this:
Just put a dab of petroleum jelly in the skirt of the pellet once it is loaded into the barrel then lock-n-load normally. It turns your air pellet gun into an air-diesel. The dramatic sound, smoke and penetration of the target confirms that it's the real deal. Just not sure how well the internal seals and O-rings hold up with the extra pressures of combustion, but accuracy doesn't seem to be affected.

A quick internet search showed that the pellet speeds and impact punch will increase in the 20%-35% range using a variety of fuels from 3-in-1 oil to Chap-Stick to yes- diesel fuel.

DYODD and don't put your eye out...

Garyw

DemoRats are Party of KKK
Silver Miner
Famous Crossman 22 cal 10 round semi auto Pistol. I have had it over 20 years. It has a leaky O ring Parts are hard to come by now I tried an automotive O ring but would just leak and drain the air tube. Over 20 years ago I paid $250 and it was working. Now thanks to this video I found someone to rebuild it.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Last edited:

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Come on guys, this is all too complicated for me, scuba tanks, tanks of all sizes

Lots of expensive accessories involved.
Reminds me of RC car racing, could never run out of money because at that point, the fun ended

anyway
Red Ryder, Daisy Red Ryder
$22 at Walmart

My own indoor shooting range at my house, cheap entertainment
:2 thumbs up:

sarc

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
This Air-Rifle Shoots Beyond 2,000mm! ~ Rex Reviews
TiborasaurusRex

Published on Apr 23, 2019
Jamie Nixon, an assistant instructor at the Rex Defense RX3000 ELR rifle course at Hawks Double Mountain Ranch, reveals his new ELR match air-rifle to former president of the King of 2 Miles Eduardo Fontcuberta and Mr. Rex Tibor. Shooting with precision out to 2,000 and even 2,500 millimeters is no joke. There is a lot of specialized gear that can help you reach your goals. Before one can enjoy shooting with consistency and precision at 2 miles, one has to master the game out to 2 meters. Enjoy!
Hey! I know that most Americans have a tough time with the metric system, but just a LOL, KEK, FYI:

2500 millimeters = 8.2 feet

I think I could nail that with the $20 Crossman.

Easily...