• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coins

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Provident has the 20,000 minted 2017 Ozark ATB coins for $4.50/oz over spot on special. An awesome price for a KEY date coin. Hawaii, Denali, and Douglass (also 20k mintage) all trade for significantly more: $140 (Douglass), $200 (Denali) $250 (Hawaii) per coin.
Agree. Very little downside at that price.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Ozark premium has always taken a back seat to Fred with supposedly the same numbers. That's an excellent price but it's eerily similar to the Moultrie puck when the premiums remained low with an advertised mintage of 26,000. A few months later the mintage numbers skyrocketed.

Hopefully that's not the case here.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Bite your tongue....

There were two other bullion pucks released after Ozark with Ellis cranked up at 40,000. I really don't think they would resurrect a June 2017 release

Last edited:

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
I agree with you on that point F-man, it's position in the release cycle helps nullify my suspicions. The Moultrie puck was the last of the 2016 run and if anyone cares to read back a year on this thread even Silver Art and a couple others noticed the mintage spike that occurred months after it's run ended.

Hopefully I'm just being overly paranoid as I'm thinking of buying a few more of the Ozarks at that price.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Took a stroll thru Providents ATB section and that 20,000 Ozark puck is on sale for the same price as the 104,900 Olympic puck and $12 LESS than the 126,700 Gettysburg.

Very strange.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Yup it does SOUND like a lot but it would be important to know how many they had last week before Provident dropped the price. I would hazard a guess that it was pretty close to the present numbers.

BTW...present prices:

JM....$142
Apmex...$145
Bullion Exchange...$133
Provident..$105
BGASC...out of stock

I'm still debating about adding more Ozarks but accumulating the Clark P's kinda drained my cash...we'll see

shallow_explorer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The Ozarks at Provident aren’t getting any respect. They have had one large order and a few minor orders since the sale began. Total coins available has been in the mid-400s for 36 hours.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Made an order for one Ozark puck (my second one) today.

I might have ordered more, but ever since I started talking PMs with my wife, I found that she prefers gold!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Guy's ATB's are a must have. What else are we going to smack around the ice when global cooling kicks in?

Thanks for the heads up on the OZARK. I'm gonna get me one now.

b_cahill

Seeker
Seeker
I haven't really followed the bullion pucks like the "P" pucks. This is only my 3rd bullion puck purchase. Thanks, shallow_explorer!

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

I might have ordered more, but ever since I started talking PMs with my wife, I found that she prefers gold!
First of all, consider yourself lucky that she has the good sense to appreciate PMs at all.

Second, if she is a golden gal, talk up the 80:1 gold to silver ratio at the moment. Explain to her that you are only buying silver now so that you can trade for more gold for her when the ratio drops. That oughta get her on board.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
I hated to pay the premium but I looked at some of my older puck purchases when SD and Provident didn't put such aggressively low premiums on them (2.49-2.69 is low for pucks) and decided 10 was good for now, after today's silver's high sunk back down to it's low.

30 cent drop tomorrow and I will get 10 more.

I am however, a little puzzled by this series, as I have been for years. I've got 2 relatives now buying 5-10 of each piece. There seems to be just a small number of collectors. Most folks that buy silver eagles are stackers but there's a bunch that collect and keep some of those proof eagles relatively high priced. They can start collecting with some of the easy ones with 30 million out there and then the ones with deeper pockets can get the ones with mintages of 50,000. Maybe there will be 20,000 people with deep pockets to buy these pucks for higher prices or maybe nobody wants to collect them and they end up in the LCS spot bucket. I like them but the world doesn't buy very many of them.

shallow_explorer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Sure seems like we’re missing something. If Apmex can sell these for $145, why dont they buy out Provident’s 425 coins at $105? Built in 40% profit. That being said, I’m all in on these. Of the 20k mintage coins, you could argue that this one has the most character. Ok, maybe Hawaii is most unique, but this is still a nice coin. At $4.50 over spot, you’re only paying a $2/oz premium over the 30,000,000+ minted SAE. I’m willing to wager that 2 rolls of Ozarks will outdo 5 rolls of 2018 SAEs over the next 36 months. Any takers?

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sure seems like we’re missing something. If Apmex can sell these for $145, why dont they buy out Provident’s 425 coins at $105? Built in 40% profit. That being said, I’m all in on these. Of the 20k mintage coins, you could argue that this one has the most character. Ok, maybe Hawaii is most unique, but this is still a nice coin. At $4.50 over spot, you’re only paying a $2/oz premium over the 30,000,000+ minted SAE. I’m willing to wager that 2 rolls of Ozarks will outdo 5 rolls of 2018 SAEs over the next 36 months. Any takers?
Apmex has huge buy/sell spreads on the bullion ATB. Don’t think they would buy Ozark at the Provident price. On the other hand, don’t think they are selling many at their asking price either.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
For those of you just getting started with the series picking up 10 or so of these Ozarks at this price may give you the opportunity to use them as trade bait for the earlier big dollar ones with similar mintage. A few years from now when the series has concluded you could find yourself at a coin show trading your "$106" Ozark for a Maine, Hawaii, Colorado, etc....smiling all the way to the parking lot.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member

You better hope someone doesn't start putting diamonds around the edges of gold coins!

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Provident has like 4 or 5 at 2.29 over spot. They are really adjusting their inventory. They've been dumping junk and random rounds at spot and clean eagles at $1.49 over. I should just deposit my check into their account...

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Provident has like 4 or 5 at 2.29 over spot. They are really adjusting their inventory. They've been dumping junk and random rounds at spot and clean eagles at $1.49 over. I should just deposit my check into their account...
I can think of worse ways to empty your bank account.;)

b_cahill

Seeker
Seeker
As of 8 AM this morning, Provident had 453 of the Ozarks for sale. JM Bullion had 539 and Apmex had 253. That seems like a lot.
Over a week later, Provident has 473 of the Ozarks for sale. JM Bullion has 536, and Apmex has 242. Something in the milk ain't clean!

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner

I decided that ordering one puck at a time was the best way to go. As of today, I have ordered and received 2 Ozark coins (which makes 3 coins, including the one I bought last year).

Other than seeing one of the coins arrive without a capsule, everything went well with the orders and I am ready to buy the next one.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
I was told by Provident customer service that the pucks would come in capsules. Nope, didn't even rate a flip. My first batch arrived all in a very ebay'ish plastic baggie.

Will be complaining on Monday.

All the coins were in choice condition I'll give them that. No scratches or dings.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
I got a Provident order in capsules that were not protected well and the capsules were a mess. Another order was bagged capsules and beautiful. Let them know, as I did.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
A bullion dealer will treat bullion as bullion. Only way to get consistently reasonable quality is get a roll of ten. BGASC sends their bullion in a capsule but no guarantee what happens before that

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
A bullion dealer will treat bullion as bullion. Only way to get consistently reasonable quality is get a roll of ten. BGASC sends their bullion in a capsule but no guarantee what happens before that
Provident has been pretty good for the most part. I still wonder about these dealers sifting through rolls to find the better quality coins to the tpg companies.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
The Michigan puck is showing a 20,000 mintage on the mints website.
Probably too early to take that as the final tally but if dealers can't get rid of low # 2017's maybe the mint will take it slow with these early 2018's.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Looks like the Michigan pucks are shipping out at Provident and they've raised the premium on them.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Received my Pictured Rocks pucks today from SD Bullion. Full tube plus a couple spares that came in capsules (which I was not expecting).

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Received my Pictured Rocks pucks today from SD Bullion. Full tube plus a couple spares that came in capsules (which I was not expecting).
I do like the realistic nature of SD Bullion to charge a reasonable premium and add a fixed shipping charge. The overall cost really comes down when you buy a roll of pucks. It sickens me to see some of my old invoices from past purchases where I had to pay $4+ over spot from other dealers.