• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver Bullion Coins

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Yeah I agree. Buying the "right" one for the "right" price can yield a big return on investment when it is sold at the "right price". IMO the "P" version pucks have more ROI potential than the bullion version pucks. Mintages is one of those variables that will make a big difference in what one will sell for.

With that said, I have seen the Sand Dunes and the Arches bullion puck premiums fall on ebay. I have seen the Frederick bullion puck premiums fall on ebay as well.
I’m with Mr Paradise. Best play is to buy as many of each new puck as you can when they come out and premiums are low. When premiums on specific pucks pop, you sell and plow the $ into more pucks. 2c

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I’m with Mr Paradise. Best play is to buy as many of each new puck as you can when they come out and premiums are low. When premiums on specific pucks pop, you sell and plow the $ into more pucks. 2c
Yep that works too.

To be honest with you, when it comes to bullion pucks, I have concentrated on the 2012 bullion pucks. I made a lot of money with the 2012 pucks and the premiums on those are still high enough to make a profit on them if I can continue to buy them cheap. When it comes to bullion pucks in general, I am in "flip" mode instead of in "keep" mode.

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Friday I ordered a tube of Block Island pucks pre-sale at $87.03/each with capsules (BGASC)
Before I talk about your quote, I hope you take me back...some ulnar nerve damage in in my right arm is making life a little difficult to deal with my responsibilities, but I still rise above. I may have to see a damn doctor!! I've been self medicating with beer and watching my dvr'd soap operas after work (that's what I call the insane political scene). You and a few friends and relatives are the only ones I can say that while Trump doesn't play things exactly how I would, I like his positions, for the most part.

Anyway, is this the company that gives a discount to veterans? My dad is buying and he served a 3 year stint in the '50's so what would he need to prove that, if this is the case?

Second, now that sdbullion upped their premium to 3.19 without capsules, this is a better price with capsules when purchasing 30, as my cheapest price for a capsule is 1.25. I'm not convinced to buy 100 quite yet for the best price, although it does cross my mind.

They are matching sdbullion at 86.33 with a "free" capsule and tube for 10-99 units. The sdbullion 2.49 over better show up or I will obviously swithc to BGASC and even at that, it's a wash.

Been picking up a few P pucks off ebay on the 8-10% buck deal. Got some as low as $110 net.

Glad to see your activity.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
How about 80k Block Island pucks minted already.....and not even released yet

A lower spot price probably has to do with the high 80K mintage. I might be wrong on this but I think that spot was higher when the Cumberland Island bullion puck was released to the authorized dealers. Since spot silver is now in the low $14's, the prices on the Block Island puck are more attractive than when the Cumberland Island bullion puck came out.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
How about 80k Block Island pucks minted already.....and not even released yet
There seemingly is no logic or reason for mintage numbers on this series, it's almost as if they're picking a number out of a hat. They should pick a number in the 30-35K range and stick to it, rather than the constant up and down drama that varies tremendously from 20K to ~100K. Mintage numbers by issue here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_the_Beautiful_Silver_Bullion_Coins#Minting_history

A lower spot price probably has to do with the high 80K mintage. I might be wrong on this but I think that spot was higher when the Cumberland Island bullion puck was released to the authorized dealers. Since spot silver is now in the low $14's, the prices on the Block Island puck are more attractive than when the Cumberland Island bullion puck came out.
I respectfully disagree, but interesting theory, please expound. The first 3 issues of 2018 were on presale at ~$16.50 spot, the last 2 at ~$15.50 and ~$14.50, respectively, which isn't a huge change in spot. By your reasoning, the 2011 issues should have been low mintage, as spot was ~$30.00-35.00 during that period, but these were the highest mintage of the entire series. Are you thinking that the US Mint is taking advantage of lower planchet prices and boosting mintage accordingly? Certainly cannot be design related, as Pictured Rocks, Apostle, and Voyager (30K mintage apiece) were good looking pucks IMHO, while Cumberland (52.5K) was lame as hell and Block Island (80K) not much better IMHO. Just curious as to your reasoning.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
There seemingly is no logic or reason for mintage numbers on this series, it's almost as if they're picking a number out of a hat. They should pick a number in the 30-35K range and stick to it, rather than the constant up and down drama that varies tremendously from 20K to ~100K. Mintage numbers by issue here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_the_Beautiful_Silver_Bullion_Coins#Minting_history

I respectfully disagree, but interesting theory, please expound. The first 3 issues of 2018 were on presale at ~$16.50 spot, the last 2 at ~$15.50 and ~$14.50, respectively, which isn't a huge change in spot. By your reasoning, the 2011 issues should have been low mintage, as spot was ~$30.00-35.00 during that period, but these were the highest mintage of the entire series. Are you thinking that the US Mint is taking advantage of lower planchet prices and boosting mintage accordingly? Certainly cannot be design related, as Pictured Rocks, Apostle, and Voyager (30K mintage apiece) were good looking pucks IMHO, while Cumberland (52.5K) was lame as hell and Block Island (80K) not much better IMHO. Just curious as to your reasoning.
I agree that there seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason to what the mint does - on this series or many others, for that matter. Sometimes I wonder if they just mix it up to keep things interesting, and to keep people coming back in hopes for the next big winner.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Fair enough. Honestly that post you quoted me on was a just a WAG on why the bullion puck mintages vary the way they do. I really do not know why the mint does what it does. As for design, that is a matter of opinion in terms of if the design looks good or not and that probably does not have anything to do with mintages.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
There seemingly is no logic or reason for mintage numbers on this series, it's almost as if they're picking a number out of a hat.
They mint to demand. If there are a decent amount of orders made during the pre-release period they will mint a higher quantity. I guess there were a crapload of pre-sales...

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
A little perspective needed....not saying the 2018 bullion ASE is by any means rare or even of low mintage BUT...for comparison:

2013....42 million +
2014....44 million +
2015....47 million
2016....37 million +
2017....18 million +
2018....14 million + and counting but it will be the lowest mintage since 2007

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Perspective is what I was getting at with my ASE question.i

I actually surprised by that “low” 2018 ASE mintage. A low 15 million compared to a high 230-240k ....pucks are still a no brainer.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Broke down and ordered my tube of 10 Lowell's. Wasn't going to order this one but with all the press/planchet issues going on I thought maybe a short mintage. We'll see I guess. Pre-sale shipment already bumped back a month

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Broke down and ordered my tube of 10 Lowell's. Wasn't going to order this one but with all the press/planchet issues going on I thought maybe a short mintage. We'll see I guess. Pre-sale shipment already bumped back a month
Don’t know if anyone has any hard information yet. Looks like the Lowell release may be pushed back to mid to late March.

The 5oz silver Apollo still backordered, big markup on ebay for in hand stuff

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The 5oz silver Apollo still backordered, big markup on ebay for in hand stuff
That was my thought with the early releases. I've got seven that just arrived at NGC for grading. The rest of the Apollo mintage won't be shipped by the Mint until October 25th so the early bird kinda caught the worm

Dude

Midas Member
Midas Member
Other things to do lately...I see some of you regulars still here. Good to read about you boys again. Is there a new thread on the bullion ATB's or is nobody buying anymore? The premium is halfway decent if you buy 20 at several online dealers at presale.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I’ll be here until we cross the finish line. I sense there is series fatigue setting in. Seems to happen with all these long series. It would be nice if they would give the big press a rest for a bit after next year.

SilverBuyer

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Other things to do lately...I see some of you regulars still here. Good to read about you boys again. Is there a new thread on the bullion ATB's or is nobody buying anymore? The premium is halfway decent if you buy 20 at several online dealers at presale.
They are far better deal than silver eagles that have no chance for a premium increase that's for sure. Mintages are up now on the last few so I'm a little more hesitant. The first 3 coins of 2018 all are decent winners at 30k mintage. I really have no idea how they fluctuate so much if its actually based on demand (maybe its not and the mint just sets the numbers). Coin demand seems to be going lower and lower and lower so I'd be surprised if it went from 30k to 80k just like that. I don't have much hope for premium increase if the mintage is 40-50k+ Need to be in the 30's or lower imo.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have bought a tube of 10 pucks for the last 20 issues but held back on the last two because of assumed high mintage. Still on the fence with Guam and will wait until the first mintage report comes out . 75-80k isn't gonna cut it....20-30k is more like it...