• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

America the new Soviet Russia? Man being charged with felony over a dollar!

Tinbox

YOU GET NOTHING! YOU LOSE, GOOD DAY SIR!
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...ing-1-cup-002830215--abc-news-topstories.html

A Florida man was arrested and held on $6,500 bond after police in Collier County said he left a McDonald's without paying for a cup of soda valued at $1.
Mark Abaire, 52, had apparently asked staff at the Naples restaurant for a courtesy cup of water, but instead he allegedly filled the cup with soda from the soda fountain and sat outside of the restaurant, according to a story in the Naples Daily News which cited the police report of the Thursday incident.

Tinbox

Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
the comments are what really disturbs me, a good amount of people are actually supporting a FELONY charge for stealing a cup of COKE, crazy world

the comments are what really disturbs me, a good amount of people are actually supporting a FELONY charge for stealing a cup of COKE, crazy world
I didn't really see that. Maybe they were buried farther than I bothered to read. Most of the comments near the top now are comparing the absudity of prison time for stealing a Coke to Wall Streeters and politicians getting a pass for stealing millions.

As an aside, I noticed one comment that's a great example of what a difference one's choice of words/spelling and punctuation makes. The poster wrote:

Pathetic..how about getting this man the help he really needs. I'd rather pay for that, then pay for his incarceration..this country, especially the judicial system is so broken it's disgusting!!

I'm sure what was meant was, "I'd rather pay for that than pay for his incarceration." And I agree. Send the guy to rehab or get him mental help, but don't send him to prison. The way it was actually written the poster is unwittingly suggesting to get him help THEN send him to prison afterwards.

Not that I'm perfect, but small things do make a difference in clarity. Exceptions made for Ducks and other animals with computers.

Last edited:

Deuce

Seeker
Seeker
...a little more to the story;

A Florida man was arrested and held on $6,500 bond after police in Collier County said he left a McDonald's without paying for a cup of soda valued at $1.

Mark Abaire, 52, had apparently asked staff at the Naples restaurant for a courtesy cup of water, but instead he allegedly filled the cup with soda from the soda fountain and sat outside of the restaurant, according to a story in the Naples Daily News which cited the police report of the Thursday incident.

Abaire allegedly refused to pay for the soda when he was asked to do so, refused to leave the restaurant and cursed at the manager, the Naples Daily News also reported.

Abaire, whose aliases include "Red" and "Clown," has a long list of prior arrests, according to records from the Collier County Sheriff's Department.

He was charged with petty theft, trespassing and disorderly intoxication after the Thursday arrest, and sent to Collier County jail. Petty theft is usually a misdemeanor, but because Abaire has previous convictions for theft, the charge was upgraded to a felony. The trespassing and disorderly intoxication charges are misdemeanors.

Abaire could face five years in prison if he is convicted of the felony.

Records indicate Abaire will return to court on May 14.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blo...ing-1-cup-002830215--abc-news-topstories.html

Sport

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I must have missed them as well. The ones that I read were spot on. This guy is getting a felony and the bankers who stole millions got nothing. I would like to know more about this as there has to be a bigger story we are not hearing.

Also, what kind of alias is clown? What is this world coming to?

TimoneX

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The punishment doesn't fit the crime. Stealing a few pennies worth of soda and cursing in public shouldn't be grounds for a felony arrest, regardless of his priors. There are plenty of real criminals to occupy barney fife if they care.

Hint: check the loan officer's desk at the bank...you'll find a counterfeiter that steals thousands daily.

Tinbox

Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I didn't really see that. Maybe they were buried farther than I bothered to read. Most of the comments near the top now are comparing the absudity of prison time for stealing a Coke to Wall Streeters and politicians getting a pass for stealing millions.

As an aside, I noticed one comment that's a great example of what a difference one's choice of words/spelling and punctuation makes. The poster wrote:

Pathetic..how about getting this man the help he really needs. I'd rather pay for that, then pay for his incarceration..this country, especially the judicial system is so broken it's disgusting!!

I'm sure what was meant was, "I'd rather pay for that than pay for his incarceration." And I agree. Send the guy to rehab or get him mental help, but don't send him to prison. The way it was actually written the poster is unwittingly suggesting to get him help THEN send him to prison afterwards.

Not that I'm perfect, but small things do make a difference in clarity. Exceptions made for Ducks and other animals with computers.
good post, probably was just a string of comments while i was reading. I think i have it set to newest comments, not the most popular. I should probably switch to that if I want to see the consensus opinion of readers.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Hang him from the golden arches say I. How dare he steal from one of our cherished corporations. Make an example out of him and noone will steal a soda ever again. I know its only a soda but today a soda, tomorrow whats it going to be? A cheeseburger? Then what? He becomes more and more brazen with every burglary. Before you know it he's over at Denny's ordering breakfast and then walking out without paying. (Sarc)

mayhem

RIP 9/6. Anything new is posted by his widow.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Felony = Stealth Gun control

And where is gonzo when ya need a lawyer.

Maybe you guys defending the theif would feel differently if you saw his picture...

hamburg.jpg

stewie

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
He may have done that on purpose.

Think about how hard it is for a guy like that to find a job.

He's thinking 3 hots and a cot.

Meetzos

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I don't know if this one of the many homeless guys wandering around down here, but just last week a guy jumped over the counter at a mcd's in Tampa and said he wanted food. A manager tried to get him to leave and the guy promtly hit him with a ball bat in the ribs.
The cops caught him and he is in the can , another one the citizens get to pay room and board. We are inundated with homeless and mental cases loose here, they cause plenty of trouble.