• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

American Trucking Associations says industry is in big trouble

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter

Rachel Premack

1 day ago

Truckers typically bristle at the American Trucking Associations, an industry group that represents trucking companies rather than America's 1.8 million truck drivers themselves.

They've differed on just about every topic in the trucking world: whether teenagers should become truck drivers, whether there's really a trucker shortage, and how truckers should be compensated for rest breaks (if at all).
But it seems the ATA and truck drivers have reached some sort of agreement on the state of their industry in 2019: It's suffering.
"There is no way these folks are making money now," ATA chief economist Bob Costello said at an industry conference, as reported by the Commercial Carrier Journal. "We do not have to go into a recession for this to be a bloodbath."
Costello said because of the decline in rates in the spot market, the next 18 months in trucking specifically would be challenging for truckers. The ATA did not respond to a Business Insider request for further comment.
This year alone, nearly 3,000 truck drivers have lost their jobs as trucking companies large and small declare bankruptcy. Major carriers like J.B. Hunt, Knight-Swift, and Schneider have cut their annual outlooks. The rate sentiment among industry leaders dipped to recession-level lows in July, according to a Morgan Stanley survey.

Related video: How the Trade War Is Impacting Shipping and Trucking (provided by Bloomberg)

Some positive indicators have come out recently, too. ACT Research also noted a surprising volume uptick in July, which the transport data group called "an anomalous spike." The ATA's Truck Tonnage Index jumped by 7.3% year-over-year in July.

"Volumes showed signs of life in July for the first time this year, for at least some of our friends in the industry," Tim Denoyer, ACT Research vice president and senior analyst, said in a release.

Trucking is highly cyclical, with huge peaks and lows that often catch trucking companies and their customers by surprise. Ups and downs make retailers, manufacturers, and trucking companies unable to adequately forecast demand for the years ahead.

Related: Truck drivers reveal the worst parts of their jobs

While Costello's comments make clear that a wider recession isn't needed for truckers to suffer, a downturn in freight often foretells that the rest of the economy may suffer.

Trucking is often looked at as a leading indicator of where the rest of the economy is headed. As 71% of America's freight is moved on trucks, companies foreseeing needing fewer trucks is typically an omen of an economic downturn: If manufacturers are producing less and people are buying less, there's less of a need to move goods.

When the rest of America is headed for a downturn, freight usually dips first, a report from Convoy's economic research division said. The industry went into a recession in April 2006, more than a year before the rest of the economy was clobbered by the Great Recession, starting in January 2008.

However, tumble in shipping doesn't always foretell a recession for everyone else. The freight industry goes into recession twice as often as the rest of the economy, according to Convoy.

"When manufacturers get scared, they cut production, meaning fewer jobs or even layoffs, as well as fewer truck loads going out the door, reducing the options for trucking companies in assigning their trucks efficiently and profitably," Jody Sims, Lexington, Kent.-based truck driver told Business Insider.

"The number of trucks available didn't go down, but the number of loads did," she added. "For most small companies, that left little to no profit margin, even for owner operators who already own their own trucks."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...ustry-is-in-big-trouble/ar-AAGw4z9?li=BBnbfcN

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Rachel Premack

1 day ago

Truckers typically bristle at the American Trucking Associations, an industry group that represents trucking companies rather than America's 1.8 million truck drivers themselves.

They've differed on just about every topic in the trucking world: whether teenagers should become truck drivers, whether there's really a trucker shortage, and how truckers should be compensated for rest breaks (if at all).
But it seems the ATA and truck drivers have reached some sort of agreement on the state of their industry in 2019: It's suffering.
"There is no way these folks are making money now," ATA chief economist Bob Costello said at an industry conference, as reported by the Commercial Carrier Journal. "We do not have to go into a recession for this to be a bloodbath."
Costello said because of the decline in rates in the spot market, the next 18 months in trucking specifically would be challenging for truckers. The ATA did not respond to a Business Insider request for further comment.
This year alone, nearly 3,000 truck drivers have lost their jobs as trucking companies large and small declare bankruptcy. Major carriers like J.B. Hunt, Knight-Swift, and Schneider have cut their annual outlooks. The rate sentiment among industry leaders dipped to recession-level lows in July, according to a Morgan Stanley survey.

Related video: How the Trade War Is Impacting Shipping and Trucking (provided by Bloomberg)

Some positive indicators have come out recently, too. ACT Research also noted a surprising volume uptick in July, which the transport data group called "an anomalous spike." The ATA's Truck Tonnage Index jumped by 7.3% year-over-year in July.

"Volumes showed signs of life in July for the first time this year, for at least some of our friends in the industry," Tim Denoyer, ACT Research vice president and senior analyst, said in a release.

Trucking is highly cyclical, with huge peaks and lows that often catch trucking companies and their customers by surprise. Ups and downs make retailers, manufacturers, and trucking companies unable to adequately forecast demand for the years ahead.

Related: Truck drivers reveal the worst parts of their jobs

While Costello's comments make clear that a wider recession isn't needed for truckers to suffer, a downturn in freight often foretells that the rest of the economy may suffer.

Trucking is often looked at as a leading indicator of where the rest of the economy is headed. As 71% of America's freight is moved on trucks, companies foreseeing needing fewer trucks is typically an omen of an economic downturn: If manufacturers are producing less and people are buying less, there's less of a need to move goods.

When the rest of America is headed for a downturn, freight usually dips first, a report from Convoy's economic research division said. The industry went into a recession in April 2006, more than a year before the rest of the economy was clobbered by the Great Recession, starting in January 2008.

However, tumble in shipping doesn't always foretell a recession for everyone else. The freight industry goes into recession twice as often as the rest of the economy, according to Convoy.

"When manufacturers get scared, they cut production, meaning fewer jobs or even layoffs, as well as fewer truck loads going out the door, reducing the options for trucking companies in assigning their trucks efficiently and profitably," Jody Sims, Lexington, Kent.-based truck driver told Business Insider.

"The number of trucks available didn't go down, but the number of loads did," she added. "For most small companies, that left little to no profit margin, even for owner operators who already own their own trucks."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...ustry-is-in-big-trouble/ar-AAGw4z9?li=BBnbfcN
Costello said because of the decline in rates in the spot market, the next 18 months in trucking specifically would be challenging for truckers.
Can someone better splain that to me please?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
My trucker buddy is struggling. His biggest mistake was 0 down on a brand new tractor IMHO. It was the only way he could get into the bussiness and no one would hire him after an extended stay on disability.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Truck and labor required to operate the truck are sold on an open market. As it pertains to the post above, my buddy has to be very selective of loads because he can't afford to drive for the cost of fuel and many loads are breakeven at best. I told him to BK the LLC and go to work for a company. He thinks if he can struggle through paying off the tractor he will be able to semi-retire.

I think if a guy went into the biz debt free it could be lucrative. Going in with a mountain of debt is a recipe for disaster.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Trucking companies had to replace their entire fleet that is older than 10+ years
Truckers had to comply with the same ruling and in 2023, there can be nothing older than 2010 on the roads iirc

Lots of small mom and pops have to follow the same rules and some have been put out of business all because of the Federal Mandates

Independents have gone by the wayside, insurance etc is all to expensive and with a downturn in profits, there's just nothing left

Our Infrastructure has been under attack for decades, this part here, transportation, trucks, personal vehicles is the area we've been devastated but no one really sees it happening on the larger scale

If no one talks about it, it isn't happening...just like the removal of our power structure to facilitate technology that doesn't scale effectively

We're Done!
I lay this claim because the damage is so intensive, is continuing today and there will be few left who will have the drive to put any of it back together for a crowd who's only talent is to stick their hands out waiting for the next Freebie

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
As it relates ti the drivers add this to their problems

UPS is testing self-driving trucks in Arizona
Humans remain on-board for the 100-mile drive for now.
UPS has been secretly hauling cargo back and forth between Phoenix and Tuczon, Arizona for over three months, courtesy of their minority stake in automated trucking startup TuSimple. The tractor trailers are outfitted with nine cameras, as well as LiDAR sensors, those spinning contraptions often attached to the roofs of self-driving vehicles to help them "see."
According to UPS, the trucks have been roaming a 100-mile stretch between Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona since May. The fleet is designed as "level four autonomous trucking," which means all operations are automated; a driver and engineer are only on-board as a fallback. The effort aims to reduce the cost of shipping via tractor trailer by 30 percent, likely by eventually removing the human occupants once the tech has been perfected.
This isn't UPS' first foray into autonomous navigation. Earlier in the year, the company announced a program that will deliver medicine over short distances via drones. TuSimple themselves have collaborated with USPS, who dipped their toes in the water with a two-week autonomous trucking pilot in May. Meanwhile, FedEx has revealed an adorable robot for same-day deliveries, and Domino's is planning to use Nuro's self-driving R2 vehicles later in the year.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
R&D time requires even more people to be on-board...will the foolishness never end?

one family, wiped out in a crash won't stop this, complete system failure won't stop this lunacy...look at Tesla, now offering Vehicle Insurance...I'll bet it's because of all the fires on their cars and just wait, these trucks carry more batteries than have ever been put on the road at the same time

the conflagration of one of these trucks will be spectacular...

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
It's not about progressing, it's about destroying what we already have that works...turn it into a system that doesn't...

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My trucker buddy is struggling... no one would hire him after an extended stay on disability.
Can you really blame anyone for not hiring someone who's been on extended disability? I know that I wouldn't even consider it. I'd probably cross the street to avoid meeting one on the sidewalk. As an employer I can't afford to.

The disability gravy train has been so corrupted and abused it's almost quaint to hear of someone who actually deserves payments.

historyrepete

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Trucking companies had to replace their entire fleet that is older than 10+ years
Truckers had to comply with the same ruling and in 2023, there can be nothing older than 2010 on the roads iirc

Lots of small mom and pops have to follow the same rules and some have been put out of business all because of the Federal Mandates

Independents have gone by the wayside, insurance etc is all to expensive and with a downturn in profits, there's just nothing left

Our Infrastructure has been under attack for decades, this part here, transportation, trucks, personal vehicles is the area we've been devastated but no one really sees it happening on the larger scale

If no one talks about it, it isn't happening...just like the removal of our power structure to facilitate technology that doesn't scale effectively

We're Done!
I lay this claim because the damage is so intensive, is continuing today and there will be few left who will have the drive to put any of it back together for a crowd who's only talent is to stick their hands out waiting for the next Freebie
Big business works with big governments. And makes people little

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think somebody wrote to get a paycheck.
There seems to be plenty of HELP WANTED: DRIVERS NEEDED is Central KY anyway. YMMV

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
The trucking business has been on the downslide since 1979 when carter deregulated it.
Made employment possible for C.W.McCall.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
My trucker buddy is struggling. His biggest mistake was 0 down on a brand new tractor IMHO. It was the only way he could get into the bussiness and no one would hire him after an extended stay on disability.
I bet his payment is around 1k a WEEK just for the truck. Taking time off will set ya back deep in the hole. I rarely take time off because of that. He really should have got a used one for way cheaper.

Ive got about the same payment but my revenue likely averages a bit higher as I’m OTR and I train students and I also do hazmat... when I get my truck completely paid off and while I have students I’ll be making 3.5k+ week, or about 2.5k profit with no students.

I think the whole downturn right now is just part of the cycle, the mega carriers were buying trucks to hire all these new drivers, now there are too many trucks in some places and that pushes rates down. Eventually these newbies will quit because they aren’t making that much money and they are away from home and the rates will go back up.

Part of the industry is a joke. They let trainers train students while themselves only have 6 months experience. lol. That’s what the companies do to fill the trucks and that’s why there are so many idiot truckers on the road.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
... That’s what the companies do to fill the trucks and that’s why there are so many idiot truckers on the road.
I was thinking you might have some perspective to add to this thread.
I’ve noticed a few of those idiots you speak of on the road, doing moronic things. Running people off the road, because they’re not paying attention, riding people’s asses in a massive rig; when you have that much weight and momentum, going 65+ mph down the road, you need a very safe following distance. Another thing I’ve notice on occaision, is angry drivers. Again, a guy with a massive vehicle, driving at high speed down the road, using their truck to intimidate people in smaller vehicles. Those kinds of drivers don’t deserve a license to drive any vehicle, let alone a big rig.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Those kinds of drivers don’t deserve a license to drive any vehicle, let alone a big rig.
That’s whats gotta happen or else the price of all goods will go up due to shipping costs.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Semi Trucks should not be on the highways. GM and Firestone worked together to get rid of the railroads so they could sell diesel engines and tires. Build the railroads again for shipping and get rid of most of the semi's.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
What method will be used to get the product from the terminal to the merchant?
What happens to JIT ordering?
and woe and be gth, what happens when one train derails?
Trains now share the rails with the transportation sector, which sector should lose market share, passenger or freight?
Who should have the first right of buying any of this banker/train stock?

Get Rid Of Trucks and Shut Your Commerce Down, there is no room to 'scale' anything, there is no room for any growth as it'll all be set to the timetables of the trains and the Train Unions? Why not hand them more power / control, Transportation Strikes on the rail system will be nearly complete if it happens to one sector...

i'm not getting the same vision as you...:borg:

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
“Fired” implies that he wasn’t laid off and was let go due to his own fault.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Semi Trucks should not be on the highways. GM and Firestone worked together to get rid of the railroads so they could sell diesel engines and tires. Build the railroads again for shipping and get rid of most of the semi's.
Couldn’t you say the same thing about automobiles? Put all the four wheelers back on a train where they belong so they can text as much as they want while the Eisenhower Interstate System goes back to its nationwide commerce and national defense roots.

There’s bad truckers and there’s a hell of a lot of bad four wheelers ...let’s all just get along for a couple of more decades until the good folks at Google & Apple make holding a steering wheel a thing of the past.

Or I guess the 350 million people here in the USA could just stop eating .....that’ll reduce the truck traffic.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
As long as they keep delivering to me my monster boxes, i don't care what they do...

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
As long as they keep delivering to me my monster boxes, i don't care what they do...
Just how many of those things are you getting??? Just curious.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Just how many of those things are you getting??? Just curious.
I can get them all day long on ebay, they're really cheap these days too!

now all I gotta do is fill 'em up
:2 thumbs up:

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Whatever you do, stay off the lake.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

:bang head::blew up: :bang head: :blew up: :bang head: :blew up: :bang head:

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Truck Drivers used to be "Professional."

Last edited:

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
...as I’m OTR and I train students and I also do hazmat...
Since you train students... For all that is holy, please train them to not park their trucks on the shoulder just beyond the end of an on-ramp to a divided highway. It seems almost like a favored spot for them and I marvel at the ignorance every time. It's the ideal spot to get rear ended- or worse- by anyone having to abort a merge.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Truck Drivers used to be Fat!
some of the most slovenly guys i've ever met had sleepers that stunk like they shit the bed too many times

nice guys, and all that, but today, they can take your CDL on the BMI (body mass index, being too fat) and then the doctor you need to see, to assist on your being too fat, is liable to look for sleep apnea at the same time...i don't want to think someone's going to seize-out behind the wheel, or choke on a burger and fries as they're doing double-nickel, but, drivers jobs were filled by those who could do the job, today, those positions are filled with the 'desireables' who can pass muster, who fill that 'box' of humanity where just enough check marks DON'T EXIST and they're now authorized to sit in that seat...

(Plant Chip Into Hand - think Futurama)

We've been guided into our own personal 'boxes' for years now, not because of our potential, but, because our behavior has been 'checked' for so long, they know where we don't belong, (they know where they don't want some of us to work / visit / explore / etc)

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Since you train students... For all that is holy, please train them to not park their trucks on the shoulder just beyond the end of an on-ramp to a divided highway. It seems almost like a favored spot for them and I marvel at the ignorance every time. It's the ideal spot to get rear ended- or worse- by anyone having to abort a merge.
There’s a truck parking shortage in America. Drivers aren’t usually “parked” but rather hit the end of an on ramp to stop because that’s usually the widest spot of the ramp and gets them off the normal shoulder where you four wheelers are doing 80mph while surfing the net. They usually stop briefly and take a piss, use their obc or evaluate a flat or mechanical problem.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
There’s a truck parking shortage in America. Drivers aren’t usually “parked” but rather hit the end of an on ramp to stop because that’s usually the widest spot of the ramp and gets them off the normal shoulder where you four wheelers are doing 80mph while surfing the net. They usually stop briefly and take a piss, use their obc or evaluate a flat or mechanical problem.
and all of that is completely illegal, there is to be No Stopping / Parking on any US Highway unless of an emergency. All vehicles must pull off of the highway for everything other than traveling

It's rarely enforced but that rule also would include those off-ramps that don't flow very well and get traffic backed up onto the highway, those are municipal failures that around here rarely get addressed and they create some very horrific accidents on occassion

ymmv depending on your state's theft rate of the usually, specifically designated, taxpayer money

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Sometimes there aren’t much better places to park. There is a huge shortage of truck parking overall and it creates situations like that.

When I trip plan I always pay for a reserved spot beforehand if I’m going to be parking late afternoon or at night to avoid having to park in a dangerous spot. Of course I teach that also to my students but most people have an ego problem and will park on the shoulder before they pay for parking.

The alternative to trucks parking on ramps is them crashing due to fatigue trying to find a nonexistent legal spot to park; some times you gotta make the best outta a bad situation.

Last edited:

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
and all of that is completely illegal, there is to be No Stopping / Parking on any US Highway unless of an emergency. All vehicles must pull off of the highway for everything other than traveling

money
Is it completely illegal?

Trucks are equipped with warning triangles for when they have to use the shoulder due to mechanical issues. Try not to crash into them.

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Trying to break the working man down just doesn't work after awhile, they just stop showing up for work...Where I'm at you can't get quality techs because they make more in construction.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Sometimes there aren’t much better places to park. There is a huge shortage of truck parking overall and it creates situations like that.

When I trip plan I always pay for a reserved spot beforehand if I’m going to be parking late afternoon or at night to avoid having to park in a dangerous spot. Of course I teach that also to my students but most people have an ego problem and will park on the shoulder before they pay for parking.

The alternative to trucks parking on ramps is them crashing due to fatigue trying to find a nonexistent legal spot to park; some times you gotta make the best outta a bad situation.
Locally, cities have drafted various laws that restrict overnight truck parking on city streets and the state does nothing to build additional Truck Rest Stops and as electronic-time-clocks have become standard across the country, the need for additional Rest Stops seems to be something that was completely overlooked, gee, what a surprise from a group who are hell-bent on wrecking all support in our society

Is it completely illegal?

Trucks are equipped with warning triangles for when they have to use the shoulder due to mechanical issues. Try not to crash into them.
yes, completely illegal, and again, you do understand an 'emergency'? You know about the triangles, so, you must know the distances they're to be placed behind the 'down' vehicle and I'd presume it's probably some ethical violation to 'pretend' your broken down when you're actually not

Answer that to a Smoky, you'll just end up pissing on his shoes and he's going to really enjoy that

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Sometimes there aren’t much better places to park...

There are miles and miles of better places to park. I'm not talking about them parking on the ramps. I understand that. They park just off the end of the ramps on the shoulder of the actual highways. It would be much, much better if they just pulled up another couple of hundred yards to accommodate or allow for failed merges.

I always figured they did that because they were too lazy and would feel a little better about not putting out their triangles, even though they are on the highway shoulder. They take a bad situation and make it positively dangerous.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Yeah that went out the window when the old timers started retiring and the mega carriers to keep up with demand replaced them with low wage steering wheel holders.

My very first trucking job I was lucky to make $300 a week while being away from home and my trainer didn’t teach me a god damn thing. In that situation I couldn’t even tell you what being professional was.

The only reason why I didn’t quit was because I had little else going for me but I knew from talking to the old heads that there was light at the end of the tunnel.

Took a few years to figure most of it out; now I take my job very seriously, some say too seriously. I put a lot of preparation into all my trips, but I’ve only got there by finding out what happens when you don’t.

There are a lot of truckers on the road trying to figure that part out. Most of my students I can already tell they won’t prepare as much as I do and I know that they are going to struggle and fail or smarten up.... but like I said before, the people who haven’t learned to be professional are allowed to be trainers and that’s the biggest problem that I see.