• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Americans Have No Idea How Much Fuel Idling Uses

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Americans Have No Idea How Much Fuel Idling Uses​

How much fuel does engine idling use? Does idling waste fuel? How much fuel does it take to start a car? Do engine start-stop systems save gas? The truth about engine start stop systems.

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I don't care!

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
one day, on your way to work, in the not too distant future, you'll be in line at a red light and the light will turn green but traffic won't move because the first two cars had start / stop systems that failed to restart and traffic will build and build as will tempers

q; can those EV's be pushed to the side easily or will they all need to be towed away?

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Americans Have No Idea How Much Fuel Idling Uses​

How much fuel does engine idling use? Does idling waste fuel? How much fuel does it take to start a car? Do engine start-stop systems save gas? The truth about engine start stop systems.
this guy's an effeminate loser

this is a snowflake who worries about 1/6 of a gallon per hour

what a Richard

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience driving a car with a stop-start system?

At what point does it stop (how many seconds)?

Thinking about stop and go traffic, stop signs vs stop lights, etc...

Any safety concerns, aside from that mentioned by Buck?

Again, hoping to hear from somebody who actually drives one regularly.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

At what does it stop (how many seconds)?

Any safety concerns?
i've driven a few class 4 / 5 trucks that are like that...

it's a basic application of the brake pedal, the computer kicks in and will shut the engine off when your foot is held on the brake pedal, lightly lift your foot and the engine restarts

these are diesel engines i'm talking about here

there is always that rumble in your seat when it restarts, that's not going to be good on that motor or the rest of the chasis...etc

there is a coffin sized battery tray on the side of the frame rails, several computers and a whole lot of additional sensors required, plus pig piss, just to get these engines started / stopped / started

lag time? not unless you're a rabbit off of the line, i was never in any danger, i just hated the feel of that chasis / engine vibration as it restarted every time

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
The premise of the video is stupid, that the only factor to consider is the amount of fuel to start the engine vs, letting it idle. Even if the premise were true, it would have to consider the amount of fuel to recharge the battery from the extra start, the fuel consumed to carry around the bigger battery that most start-stops have, and a few other factors. If fuel savings is the only factor, there are better ways, like requiring 2 cylinder lawn tractor engines, which the buyers wouldn't go for if they had the choice. My very small sample size says car buyers hate start-stop, and shut it off and/or buy add-on devices to disable it.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The premise of the video is stupid, that the only factor to consider is the amount of fuel to start the engine vs, letting it idle. Even if the premise were true, it would have to consider the amount of fuel to recharge the battery from the extra start, the fuel consumed to carry around the bigger battery that most start-stops have, and a few other factors. If fuel savings is the only factor, there are better ways, like requiring 2 cylinder lawn tractor engines, which the buyers wouldn't go for if they had the choice. My very small sample size says car buyers hate start-stop, and shut it off and/or buy add-on devices to disable it.
that's just too much to ask, remember, this is New Science where anything that either makes more work or makes more math or flat out makes your argument look stupid rather than just silly, is now discarded, at will

the New Foundation is what ever the hell you want it to be, all you gotta do now to validate any point, is to make a video,

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Have driven a couple different versions. Ford F150 actually works quite slick. Uses the starter to propel the vehicle from a stop. Chrysler Pacifica van not so much. Starts the vehicle when foot is removed from the brake then engages the transmission. The Chrysler has a lag that the Ford doesn't. I like the quiet while stopped at a light. More peaceful.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I like the quiet while stopped at a light. More peaceful.
i noticed that too, the quiet part

it made my 'stop' more stressful as i was always playing with that restart feature trying to get it to fail...it didn't

they weren't my trucks and they were under warranty, i wanted them to fail (i was the unannounced reality driver who was in charge of some 'hard road time' with these trucks)

one factory recall they did replace that bellhousing i mentioned earlier, 5 trucks at about $1.5k per truck, just for that part

the dealers had it going on, they'd return the truck next day, i suspected they beat Factory FR by hours...

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
one day, on your way to work, in the not too distant future, you'll be in line at a red light and the light will turn green but traffic won't move because the first two cars had start / stop systems that failed to restart and traffic will build and build as will tempers

q; can those EV's be pushed to the side easily or will they all need to be towed away?
I bought a 2021 GM truck just to avoid that start stop crap

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
In all honesty, I haven’t dealt with them much. The ex had an escape that did it but she was gone two months after having it. I can say definitively that my mileage drops quite a bit in the winter when I let the car idle for ten minutes for warmup. WRX will go from 27 mpg down to 25 pretty easily.

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Our Toyota Rav4 hybrid is seamless. You can't tell when the engine is running unless you look at the on board display. Coming out of W.Virginia, it was off more than on. Even if the engine doesn't start, you can go a short distance on battery. We're getting roughly the same gas mileage as our old Ford Focus with a bigger vehicle.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
If the Global Warming Stooges were serious, they would outlaw drive-thru windows at fast food joints, thus eliminating billions of vehicle-hours of idling time every year.

Ohhhh never mind.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

I've driven golf carts. All these are are built up golf carts.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I've always thought that proper locations for rest areas could save an enormous amount of fuel. I notice that they often put them at the bottoms of hills (my internal dialog goes into overdrive when driving alone- I call it chewing gum for my mind).

But if they located rest areas on tops of hills wherever practicable, it would save on braking coming in and acceleration leaving them. For the typical rest area traffic of thousands per day, the fuel savings would really add up.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Our Toyota Rav4 hybrid is seamless. You can't tell when the engine is running unless you look at the on board display. Coming out of W.Virginia, it was off more than on. Even if the engine doesn't start, you can go a short distance on battery. We're getting roughly the same gas mileage as our old Ford Focus with a bigger vehicle.
Was your Focus a direct injection engine?

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I've always thought that proper locations for rest areas could save an enormous amount of fuel. I notice that they often put them at the bottoms of hills (my internal dialog goes into overdrive when driving alone- I call it chewing gum for my mind).

But if they located rest areas on tops of hills wherever practicable, it would save on braking coming in and acceleration leaving them. For the typical rest area traffic of thousands per day, the fuel savings would really add up.
this would make for a great Relief Project

spend billions to relocate Rest Areas, do this across the country and we'd probably save a few gallons right there alone

:green tea:

just saying

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
is there a simple way to bypass this feature? has anyone tried it yet?

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
The start-stop feature was discontinued in 2021?
Only certain models came without the start stop. The truck I bought was a Sierra 5.3 v8 standard cab long bed work truck that did not have the start stop feature. It looks like this one but mine has the factory step bars and fog lights. Has the fuell thing chip but no start stop. I can only wonder what the price will be to maintain the starter motor and the systems it uses to work over the life of the start/stop vehicle.
Incedentally I bought the truck for business use in my rental properties and not as a pleasure vehicle; hence no back seat and the long bed to haul 4x8 sheet goods without having to lower the tailgate to haul them.

Attachments

• 2021 red sierra.jpg
    2021 red sierra.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Only certain models came without the start stop. The truck I bought was a Sierra 5.3 v8 standard cab long bed work truck that did not have the start stop feature. It looks like this one but mine has the factory step bars and fog lights. Has the fuell thing chip but no start stop. I can only wonder what the price will be to maintain the starter motor and the systems it uses to work over the life of the vehicle.
Incedentally I bought the truck for business use in my rental properties and not as a pleasure vehicle; hence no back seat and the long bed to haul 4x8 sheet goods without having to lower the tailgate.
and the torque on all of the moving pars from a dead stop to an idle speed has got to take a toll on those micro-gapped bearing / journal regions, the cylinders / rings don't like reduced oil / no oil start ups

what's the oil viscosity today: 0? do they have an oil that's gaseous yet? lol

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It works until it blows up..which will happen sooner just like every single other EPA/“efficiency” crap…

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
On the new Subarus, start-stop can be shut off with a touchscreen button push. It was originally buried a few screens down but they moved it to the top after huge customer backlash. The bigger problem is that start-stop is turned back on every time the car is initially started. A business has brought a device to market to keep it permanently shut off. I think it costs about $100 and is very popular in online forums. It connects to the data bus and sends the command to shut start-stop off after the initial car start turns it back on.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I spent about 3 hours in a car that was idling just so I could run the heat while supervising a friend build his lean to. I have no idea how much fuel was consumed.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
NO & I don't want to.
YES, buy an older car (pre 1960) & "renew" it, your way.
No GPS, No computer anything. Ooooh happy day !!
59 chevy.png

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Realistically speaking, doing that might get one a vehicle that appreciates in value rather than declines in value.
They seem to be doing that now. Which is like PM's going up BEFORE yer ready to buy ! :Grrr: :Grrr: :Grrr:

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Was your Focus a direct injection engine?
I honestly don't know. They both give about 34 might and the Toyota is a bigger, heavier vehicle.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. They both give about 34 might and the Toyota is a bigger, heavier vehicle.
I ask because direct injection engines provide better gas mileage. I get a few more mpg with my DIC GM 5.3 than I did with my normal fuel injected 5.3 that was replaced.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score

Never had experience with such a system...although they're getting more common. I hear them in traffic.

I DO have experience with engines. Never tore one down, but worked alongside mechanics, as an equipment operator and tow-truck driver, when I was a kid.

STARTING is the hardest thing to do with an engine. A cold start is the equivalent to 250 miles on an engine. Of course, these are not cold starts; but even so...the engine, pulling up, shuts down. TREMENDOUS temperature drop in the cylinders, the exhaust valves, the heads. Oil pressure goes to zero.

Then, the light changes, and the starter kicks in. Driver already has it floored. Engine catches...STILL has to build up oil pressure...REVS UP...with bearings not lubricated and the cylinders and heads not up to temperature.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I expect this kind of abuse will cut an engine's life by a third, and maybe more if it's used in city traffic. All this to save a few ounces of gasoline?

An electrically-controlled engine oiler could reduce the wear caused by oil-pressure interruption; but the temperature question, can only be solved by beefing up the parts, and with lots of testing. Which of course has not yet been done - the early buyers, are the Beta Testers.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
that's just too much to ask, remember, this is New Science where anything that either makes more work or makes more math or flat out makes your argument look stupid rather than just silly, is now discarded, at will

the New Foundation is what ever the hell you want it to be, all you gotta do now to validate any point, is to make a video,
All these Good Ideas, based on nothing but FEELLLZZzzz....everything from a Covid Lockdown, to an untested virus, to adding ethanol to gasoline - because it SOUNDS good...to jailing people for not wearing a useless face diaper, when a day's worth of testing could have shown anyone of normal intelligence how worthless they are in preventing disease spread.

But facts don't matter anymore. This is what the Under-35 crowd believes...they not only assert their own opinions; but they demand their own facts, too!

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
NO & I don't want to.

YES, buy an older car (pre 1960) & "renew" it, your way.
No GPS, No computer anything. Ooooh happy day !!
View attachment 233626
Over $90k for a good one.

It's a lovely idea; but too many other people - with money - are thinking the same way.

It should tell the automakers how much they're missing the boat, when someone will spend that kind of money for a 30, 40, 60-year-old car...that their offerings are so boring, so annoying, so linked into various tracking features. People don't WANT this crap!

They should be fighting government regulators on this....but today, the way to make money is to become a Crony and tell the regulators what they want to hear.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Never had experience with such a system...although they're getting more common. I hear them in traffic.

I DO have experience with engines. Never tore one down, but worked alongside mechanics, as an equipment operator and tow-truck driver, when I was a kid.

STARTING is the hardest thing to do with an engine. A cold start is the equivalent to 250 miles on an engine. Of course, these are not cold starts; but even so...the engine, pulling up, shuts down. TREMENDOUS temperature drop in the cylinders, the exhaust valves, the heads. Oil pressure goes to zero.

Then, the light changes, and the starter kicks in. Driver already has it floored. Engine catches...STILL has to build up oil pressure...REVS UP...with bearings not lubricated and the cylinders and heads not up to temperature.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I expect this kind of abuse will cut an engine's life by a third, and maybe more if it's used in city traffic. All this to save a few ounces of gasoline?

An electrically-controlled engine oiler could reduce the wear caused by oil-pressure interruption; but the temperature question, can only be solved by beefing up the parts, and with lots of testing. Which of course has not yet been done - the early buyers, are the Beta Testers.
Yes " I hear them in traffic."
I hear what sounds like belt squeal and a rough idle start up

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Ours doesn't seem to have a conventional starter. It starts in electric and seems to roll start. It started rough initially but is fine now.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Ours doesn't seem to have a conventional starter. It starts in electric and seems to roll start. It started rough initially but is fine now.
What is it? Brand, model? Car or truck?

Honda's motorcycle division has played with this concept with its 125/150cc Grom and PCX scooters and motorcycles. The stator, which is directly mounted to the crankshaft, just reverses and becomes an electric motor. Seems to work well; certainly saves weight.

Interestingly, GE, with its Dash-8 and later locomotives, had a starter system that was similar - fed DC through the main alternator, to spin the diesel. Again, seemed to work well, although the battery pack was heavier than most automobiles.

Haven't seen it on a car, yet. One problem is, virtually all cars have belt-driven small alternators. You'd need a gear-driven or direct-connected (to the crankshaft) alternator for this to work.

Brio

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I remember driving through Seattle during rush hour in my F350 with a near dead battery. My clutch foot ached for days. If I'd had that start stop it would've caused quite the traffic jam. I did learn that truck liked to push the speed limit on the I5 though LOL!! Still have that truck and it still likes a buck 40.