• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Amish move a pole shed

TomD

Often wrong but never in doubt
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That would been a tad more difficult down here where we have to anchor buildings from the uplift generated from 152 MPH hurricane winds. That would have been enough to pick that sucker up and hurl it like a missile into the white building in the background, killing everyone.

Even in the absence of hurricane codes, I've seen a number of relocations but always to prepared foundations. Surely a few of the Amish have Civil Engineering experience. No hurricanes or tornados there? 60 MPH wind design loads?

Last edited:

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
:picture perfect:

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would been a tad more difficult down here where we have to anchor buildings from the uplift generated from 152 MPH hurricane winds. That would have been enough to pick that sucker up and hurl it like a missile into the white building in the background, killing everyone.

Even in the absence of hurricane codes, I've seen a number of relocations but always to prepared foundations. Surely a few of the Amish have Civil Engineering experience. No hurricanes or tornados there? 60 MPH wind design loads?

I think I remember seeing that before. The anchored posts were cut and the overall frame stabilized for the move.

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I think I remember seeing that before. The anchored posts were cut and the overall frame stabilized for the move.
On the very 1st lift I wonder how many guys farted...then all the laughter....then the serious guys yelling STOP IT...FOCUS!! Then the other guys fart that didn't the 1st time because they were bashful...thats how a fartfest starts.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That's impressive...until you figure the cost.

What cost? Three hundred men, is what one of the narrators said. At the very least, each one probably expects a lunch, or equivalent money, for it. Five dollars each for each man, working an hour (actually they're worth five times that) or thousands of dollars for a huge Sunday lunch spread for them.

PLUS the handful of guys who had to brace the innards...including putting temporary stringers on at the bottom for the 300 men to grab to lift. Pole barns typically are just that - poles planted in the dirt, cemented in as posts, and the barn built around it.

I would think it would almost have been cheaper to take it apart and reassemble it at the new location.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
There's horsepower and then there's manpower....

Bigjon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I think scorpio should make a report on this. It's in his backyard.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
A (roughly) 40' x 60' pole building like that wouldn't be very heavy, 15,000 lbs. maybe 20,000 lbs. on the high side with all the additional hand holds and cross bracing needed to keep it square. Maybe 75-100 lbs. per person-tops- with 2-300 people. They probably cut the poles at ground level and then just set them on post footings with anchors poured into the concrete for the new location. Figuring total man-hours, this method is a lot quicker and much less disruptive than taking it apart and reassembling it. And assuming they had it all prepped for the move ahead of time, they probably had other work for the gang while they were there, just to fill out the day. Their women would have been preparing the meal.

The biggest trick for the "English" would be coordination. Amish tend to be more disciplined, hive-minded and so are perfectly suited to this type of work.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Was there a property dispute? Zoning issue?

Scorpio

Разыскиваются украинские блондинки
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
hey Bigjon,

around here the amish have even started to sell lumber retail,

not sure how they are pulling that off with their beliefs vs .corp.gov

Bigjon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
hey Bigjon,

around here the amish have even started to sell lumber retail,

not sure how they are pulling that off with their beliefs vs .corp.gov

Well I sure don't see a problem with that. They did not have a problem selling food to hungry customers in their restaurants.
What is different about lumber?
Just another needed product. They might be stepping on big brothers toe if they sell interstate.

Bigjon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Found a longer version.

200+ Amish men move a pole shed approximately 1/4 mile near Hillsboro, WI

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
That is truly remarkable. Imagine needing to call 300 of your closest friends to move a building.

Lotsa luck with that. Maybe there's something to be said for being Amish.

Right around the 3:30 mark...looking inside the shed...seemed there was someone holding onto an upright, inside...not lifting, along for the ride. A half-body higher than everyone lifting A sort of coxswain, maybe?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
If you paid 300 men a hundred bucks each, the move would cost 30 grand. Buildings like that only cost around $10 a square foot. I wonder how many knee injuries they had.
Still, there is much I admire about the Amish.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
If you paid 300 men a hundred bucks each, the move would cost 30 grand. Buildings like that only cost around $10 a square foot. I wonder how many knee injuries they had.
Still, there is much I admire about the Amish.
Even in today's $8 2x4 world?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score