• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Ammo outlook...

Thought we'd get the subject going again while we wait for system problems get fixed.

I'm not having any luck locally... but then I'm too lazy to be at Walmart at 5:00 am like the counter-man suggested.

So, I've been watching online sites. There's plenty out there that's overpriced. But, if you watch, the deals do come along... they just don't last long when they do.

Have been having pretty good luck. Picked up 750 rds 45 ACP, 250 of 40 cal, and 500 of 380 at relatively normal prices, so far (22LR still a tough nut to crack). The catch is, the order has to be enough to justify shipping. Have run into some 1 and 2 box limits that just don't cut it unless they have something else to include on the same shipping charge. Mostly I'm seeing 5 box limits, and a few sites with no quantity limits.

Most of the major online dealers are keeping their prices in check. One in particular that I always considered one of the top 5 and have ordered from many times in the past, though, is gouging like crazy. I won't name names, but let's just say, their name brags that they should be cheaper than the rest... Not sure I'll do business with them again even after things settle back down.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
ive been loading up hard on birdshot, still can get it for $6-7/box of 25, its about the only thing thats available in qty and still priced within my hoarding range

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
ive been loading up hard on birdshot, still can get it for $6-7/box of 25, its about the only thing thats available in qty and still priced within my hoarding range
Same here. Lead shot is hard to come by here in Commiefornia. I wouldn't put it past the Legislature here to try and ban lead shotgun shells anyway. I was lucky enough to get ONE 100 rd box of 12 gauge birdshot at Wally's last week. Can't beat 25 bucks +tax for that!

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Same here. Lead shot is hard to come by here in Commiefornia. I wouldn't put it past the Legislature here to try and ban lead shotgun shells anyway. I was lucky enough to get ONE 100 rd box of 12 gauge birdshot at Wally's last week. Can't beat 25 bucks +tax for that!

yeah, im in ca too, went to 3 wally's yesterday and found nothing, came home and ordered 6 more cases of 250 from cabelas at $70 a pop delivered.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
Man, I went to the Local Big 5 today, for the first time in over a month or so. I've been sticking to Wally World to check on ammo, since their prices are the best. Last time I was at Big 5, they had a pretty full ammo shelf, just didn't have the key calibers that everyone wants. Well, today was an eye opener! They didn't have Jack there! It was as bad as Wal Mart's ammo shelf! Even with their higher prices, everything was cleaned out. Looked like maybe some .410 on the shelf, and a few rifle calibers, but it was E-M-P-T-Y! Yeah, it'll calm down pretty soon! :afraid::afraid::afraid:

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Shotgun loads are all that seem to be available locally although Walmart had 4 boxes of 9mm, 1 box of 7.62x39, and 1 box of 45auto when I stopped there after work on Monday. The Farm and Fleet stores around here have had nothing for handgun calibers.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
Local Wally's finally got an ammo shipment in today. It was all Winchester. Value packs of both 12 and 20 gauge birdshot, value packs of .45acp (1-carton of 4 or 6 boxes) 12 gauge slugs and .410. So by the time I get there, the "Usual" crowd of guys who look like Hunters are already there. One guy is actually opening up the cartons himself, to get to what he wanted! I started laughing. I told the Manager Gal that pretty soon, people would be stocking the ammo FOR her! She said "Yeah, that's my goal". She was complaining about how heavy the value packs of 12 gauge were.

Aurumag

Dimly lit. Highly reflective
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Man, I went to the Local Big 5 today, for the first time in over a month or so. ...
I needed FRNs to pay my property taxes, so I went to Big5 on Tuesday and sold .223 ammo and AR accessories to the guys waiting in line for store opening.

Ha! I went to order some more ammo cans (empty) for all the add'l ammo I've been buying lately. I guess I'm not the only one! Seems they're also in short supply... sold-out on most popular websites and higher prices where you do find them (eBay, GunBroker, etc...).

Anyway, that would definitely seem to corroborate that the ammo shortage is demand driven. More new people in the market for it, established ones buying more ammo than ever in recent memory, and everyone needing storage containers for it!

Argentium

Midas Member
Midas Member
I had customer come in today to inspect some samples and after we got done with that, we were talking in my office. He saw my NRA hat and asked me if I knew anywhere in the area that had good supplies of ammo. He was from Roanoke, VA and said he had never seen anything like this before. I told him that he was out of luck and we commiserated for a while. Hell of a nice guy!

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter
Ha! I went to order some more ammo cans (empty) for all the add'l ammo I've been buying lately. I guess I'm not the only one! Seems they're also in short supply... sold-out on most popular websites and higher prices where you do find them (eBay, GunBroker, etc...).

Anyway, that would definitely seem to corroborate that the ammo shortage is demand driven. More new people in the market for it, established ones buying more ammo than ever in recent memory, and everyone needing storage containers for it!
One of the saddest manifestations of .gov waste are the mountains of ammo cans on military bases, filled with rocks to make them rust from the inside.

When I was in the Army, we would trade the newly opened ammo cans for rusted cans, because we had to turn in the cans for accountability reasons, along with 80% of the range brass.

I would have my guys police extra brass so that we could acquire unexpended ammo each range trip, and then I would always keep loaded mags for all my guys, just in case.

The gentleman who regularly sells ammo cans at the local gun show told me 2 years ago that he was having a very difficult time obtaining decent ammo cans for resale.

One of the saddest manifestations of .gov waste are the mountains of ammo cans on military bases, filled with rocks to make them rust from the inside.

When I was in the Army, we would trade the newly opened ammo cans for rusted cans, because we had to turn in the cans for accountability reasons, along with 80% of the range brass.

I would have my guys police extra brass so that we could acquire unexpended ammo each range trip, and then I would always keep loaded mags for all my guys, just in case.

The gentleman who regularly sells ammo cans at the local gun show told me 2 years ago that he was having a very difficult time obtaining decent ammo cans for resale.
Why the intentional rusting? I don't get it.

I do see surplus ammo cans still coming up on gov't liquidation auctions, but the quantities are always at least a pallet-load, if not several. There would probably be some money to made if the location makes p/u possible. Otherwise, the cost of LTL truck shipping is a deal killer.

B00B001000

Seeker
Seeker
I reload for all of my guns from 22 Hornet to 338 Mag, so my problem is 22LR,I don't understand, why someone who can produce 22 Ammo, isn't cashing in on the shortage. Seems like someone like :pissedoff: or someone with the ability to make 22 ammo could see the need, and crank up the line.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
I reload for all of my guns from 22 Hornet to 338 Mag, so my problem is 22LR,I don't understand, why someone who can produce 22 Ammo, isn't cashing in on the shortage. Seems like someone like :pissedoff: or someone with the ability to make 22 ammo could see the need, and crank up the line.
Yeah, the 22lr thing seems to be the big mystery. Everywhere I go, that's all anyone talks about. My guess is there was such a glut of it just prior to Sandy Hook, that they had stopped making it, and the available supply has just dried up. I haven't seen 22lr on the shelf in months! Whenever the local Wally's gets some in, it's only several boxes I hear, and it never makes it to the shelf!

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I needed FRNs to pay my property taxes, so I went to Big5 on Tuesday and sold .223 ammo and AR accessories to the guys waiting in line for store opening.

Shoulda kept your lead and unloaded some of those norfed rounds

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter
Shoulda kept your lead and unloaded some of those norfed rounds
Profit margins.

PMs are down.

Guns and ammo are up, FTF transactions entail neither PP fees nor postage, and I am arming some new friends.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
Missed out on the elusive 22lr again yesterday. I called the Sporting goods dept. at Wally's yesterday morning about 7:15 a.m. The guy told me that they had gotten some 250 rd. boxes of 22lr in. He got to work at 6:30 and there was already 10 to 15 guys lined up at the ammo shelf waiting! Obviously, it never made it to the shelf! Someone who works there is alerting people when the 22lr comes in, cause there is always a crowd of guys there first thing in the morning when it does, and the days when no ammo comes in, no one is there. Man, like Gordon Gecko said "The most valuable commodity I know of is INFORMATION"!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
It isn't about profit, it's about control. TPTB bought most of the major ammo companies and they're holding back. It costs them nothing. Money is issued out of thin air.

Aurumag

Midas Member
Site Supporter
It isn't about profit, it's about control. TPTB bought most of the major ammo companies and they're holding back. It costs them nothing. Money is issued out of thin air.
I am familiar with this line of reasoning, and it may indeed be valid, but I am also one of those guys regularly waiting in line for .22 LR, and I can tell you from direct experience that for every 10 people waiting in line for ammo, 5 of them are trying to get that one elusive box of .22!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I am familiar with this line of reasoning, and it may indeed be valid, but I am also one of those guys regularly waiting in line for .22 LR, and I can tell you from direct experience that for every 10 people waiting in line for ammo, 5 of them are trying to get that one elusive box of .22!
I hope you don't mean a 50 round box.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
went ammo shopping in reno today, figured there might be some around here. hit up cabellas and 2x walmarts, everything was wiped out. all the stores had was 20ga and .270, 22-250 and other obscure rifle rounds.

talked to the sporting goods manager at one of the wallys and he said he just got some .380 and 9mm in yesterday, asked if he is getting winchester, remington, federal and he said the only thing that has been coming in is tula

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I took a road trip the last few days to visit some relatives.....on a whim i decided instead of stopping at convience stores or fast food joints to relieve myself i would stop at walmarts along the way and visit the restroom and ammo case..

after many WMs in many towns...

didnt see any pistol or rimfire ammo anywhere

Rifle ammo was coming back other than 223

Shotgun ammo was thin but available (seems to be getting thinner over time)

I have noticed Hunting Rifle ammo starting to build up.....and Shotgun ammo seems to be drying up in walmarts..

I did stop at a Dicks...and Cabelas....seemed similar

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
I took a road trip the last few days to visit some relatives.....on a whim i decided instead of stopping at convience stores or fast food joints to relieve myself i would stop at walmarts along the way and visit the restroom and ammo case..

after many WMs in many towns...

didnt see any pistol or rimfire ammo anywhere

Rifle ammo was coming back other than 223

Shotgun ammo was thin but available (seems to be getting thinner over time)

I have noticed Hunting Rifle ammo starting to build up.....and Shotgun ammo seems to be drying up in walmarts..

I did stop at a Dicks...and Cabelas....seemed similar
Same at my local Wally's. They got a big shipment in of the hunting rifle calibers. There must be 50 boxes of 300 Win Mag shells there, plus all of the others as well.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
Local Wally's got a small shipment of ammo in today. Only a couple boxes of Tula .45acp, 10 or 12 boxes of Tula .40 cal. Maybe 20 or 30 boxes of Tula- 9mm,and probably 100 boxes of .223. The .223 was a new manufacturer, one I haven't seen before. I think it was something like American Independent. Anyway, they wanted $9.00 for a box of 20. Sucks seeing all of those boxes of .223, knowing you can only get 3!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Went to a gun show in Missoula today. Ammo in all calibers available. .22 LR at 12 cents a round, .762x39 at 52 cents, .223/556 at 64 cents, old foreign milsurp .308 at 85 cents. All that was secondary, no dealers present today. Much less on hand than last year, but it's out there. BTW, AR15 prices have come way down. New DPMS optics ready at $870. AK's still ridiculous 1K and up.

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I did the big circuit today. Hit 5 Walmarts, 2 Farm & Fleets, 1 Fleet Farm, Gander Mountain and a locally owned gunshop.

22LR - there were a few boxes at Gander Mountain $11.99 per box of 50 :afraid:
9mm - none, other a few boxes of JHP for $1+/round
40SW - only found JHP for $1+/round, also very limited (under 25 boxes TOTAL out of 10 stores)
45auto - only found JHP for $1+/round, also very limited (under 15 boxes TOTAL out of 10 stores)
38special - dont remember seeing any
357magnum - 10-20 boxes total among all shops, all coming in at $0.80+/round
380auto - 5-10 boxes total, all JHP for about $1/round

7.62x39 - about 5 boxes of Tulammo available for $0.38/round, 1 box of Winchester for about $0.76/round
223 - didnt see any
308 - didn't see any
30-06 - pretty limited too, cheapest was around $1/round

The only handgun ammo that was found was some 327 Magnum for $0.55/round. What a discouraging road trip lol. I am almost feeling like giving up putting all this work into finding ammo, so my choices are to pay Armslist prices or to skip going to the range.

90%RealMoney

Midas Member
Midas Member
I did the big circuit today. Hit 5 Walmarts, 2 Farm & Fleets, 1 Fleet Farm, Gander Mountain and a locally owned gunshop.

22LR - there were a few boxes at Gander Mountain $11.99 per box of 50 :afraid:
9mm - none, other a few boxes of JHP for $1+/round
40SW - only found JHP for $1+/round, also very limited (under 25 boxes TOTAL out of 10 stores)
45auto - only found JHP for $1+/round, also very limited (under 15 boxes TOTAL out of 10 stores)
38special - dont remember seeing any
357magnum - 10-20 boxes total among all shops, all coming in at $0.80+/round
380auto - 5-10 boxes total, all JHP for about $1/round

7.62x39 - about 5 boxes of Tulammo available for $0.38/round, 1 box of Winchester for about $0.76/round
223 - didnt see any
308 - didn't see any
30-06 - pretty limited too, cheapest was around $1/round

The only handgun ammo that was found was some 327 Magnum for $0.55/round. What a discouraging road trip lol. I am almost feeling like giving up putting all this work into finding ammo, so my choices are to pay Armslist prices or to skip going to the range.
I hear you Brother! A trip to Wal Mart costs me 15 bucks in gas round trip in my gas guzzling truck. If there's nothing there, it's a big waste of time and money!

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I hear you Brother! A trip to Wal Mart costs me 15 bucks in gas round trip in my gas guzzling truck. If there's nothing there, it's a big waste of time and money!
Lol yeah I wonder how much gas money I wasted today. The thrill of the hunt is fun to me, so I enjoy doing this but also dont want to come home empty handed. I may cut back a bit and limit it to the Walmart that is on the way to work and one other store. I'm more or less ok with my ammo levels but am hesitant to go to the range because it's very difficult to replace what's shot. I've considered getting into reloading but have to ask myself if I want the up front expense for the equipment and then having to chase reloading equipment.

I snagged some Aguila 22LR from Midway's website on Friday for $34 a brick. The problem is, it was a one brick limit and when it comes up you have to get right through checkout or lose it. It was literally a matter of less than 3-minutes for it to sell out. That means no time for shopping around for other here-and-gone ammo to help spread the shipping charge. Fortunately, they have 50 cal ammo cans back in-stock and I had a couple of those in my cart already (shipping charge remained pretty much the same with or without the ammo).

They posted some different Aguila styles later in the day and I did grab some of that too, coming in different shipments (passed on the Colibri that stayed up for several hours, though).

Eat Beef

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
At the HGCA show Saturday (biggest show in Texas), one of the big ammo vendors had bulk packs of 500, 525, and 550 rounds priced at.....$250 each. I tried really hard to hide my contempt.

The worst part is that some of the guys around him said he sold at least a couple...amazing.:bear_angry:

Honestly, when you consider what site this is, this sort of topic always surprises me. This is the site where everybody throws around the end of the world acronyms and advocates as much self-sufficiency as possible. And yet you are running around looking for factory ammo and paying way too much for it?

1) You worry about filtering your water and storing up emergency food. You put away gold and silver for "the coming collapse." But you don't acquire the necessary tools and knowledge to reload your own ammunition for vital firearms? I've personally been reloading since 1982 when I bought my first .357 revolver. Saved a huge amount of money over the years but I do enjoy being able to tailor my ammunition to the specific gun where it will be used. Serious gun people reload. I would argue that "the type of people that hang out on this web site" should absolutely reload as well. If you have the components for tens of thousands of rounds of ammo stashed away.... you really don't notice or care what people are paying for loaded ammo at the retail store.

2) There is a role for loaded ammo if you are talking "serious social use." I carry factory loads in my daily carry guns. But I bought all I need a long time ago. I practice with reloads designed and loaded to mimic that factory ammo. I rarely see the need to fire more than ten rounds of that expensive and super high quality factory ammo at paper targets. I also have lots of military style rifles and I do reload for them. 95% of the ammo I fire through them are my reloads. But I did purchase and put away a lot lot of surplus ammo back when it was cheap and widely available. My "go to" mags are loaded with that surplus military ammo. But I bought all that when you could get 1000 round crates shipped to your house without it busting your budget. Back when that surplus ammo was nearly as cheap as reloading it.

Reload. And plan ahead and buy surplus ammo when it is "as cheap as it is going to get." Which I don't believe is right now. Don't play the game!

And for god's sake.... stock up on .22 LR when it is cheap. That day will come again. I could probably go the rest of my life and never buy anymore. Over the years, sometimes I go to a gunshow and never do see anything worth buying. But I usually at least pick up a 500 round brick of .22 LR. So small and easy to tuck away. Once you have 10k - 50k worth stashed around.... it won't matter to you when Walmart is getting in a supply truck!!

Gregg

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Tulsamal,

Good post,,,,,,but not everyone has the time or knowledge to reload. I've been reloading since I was a kid, My Dad taught me and my brothers how. I now am teaching my son how. I also have several friends that I am teaching as well.

The problem I am seeing in the last month is that the components are getting harder and harder to find. Powder and Primers being the worst right now. I am always hunting for a good deal and have learned many new recipes for my favorite rounds. I've made friends with several of the shop owners that if frequent and that has led to some good deals on not only reloading supplies, but 22lr as well.

I think that some of the reason we are seeing such a shortage of 22lr is because it is not reload-able, that and the average person never kept any on hand, as it was always easy to find.

Tulsamal,

Good post,,,,,,but not everyone has the time or knowledge to reload. I've been reloading since I was a kid, My Dad taught me and my brothers how. I now am teaching my son how. I also have several friends that I am teaching as well.

The problem I am seeing in the last month is that the components are getting harder and harder to find. Powder and Primers being the worst right now. I am always hunting for a good deal and have learned many new recipes for my favorite rounds. I've made friends with several of the shop owners that if frequent and that has led to some good deals on not only reloading supplies, but 22lr as well.

I think that some of the reason we are seeing such a shortage of 22lr is because it is not reload-able, that and the average person never kept any on hand, as it was always easy to find.
I haven't been reloading, but TomD gave me a quick lesson in it recently which got me interested in starting (much appreciated, BTW).

So, I started looking around to see what it would cost for a set-up to get started. It's not just the components that are hard to find right now, the equipment is too!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
scored 3 winchester white box 22lr 555rnd bulk boxes at my local WM tonight....$23.17 ea

they had just got in a case of the winchester......and they also had a case of federal auto match 375rd 22lr in the shipment

feel like i won the lottery:banana::party30::cool05:

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
scored 3 winchester white box 22lr 555rnd bulk boxes at my local WM tonight....$23.17 ea

they had just got in a case of the winchester......and they also had a case of federal auto match 375rd 22lr in the shipment

feel like i won the lottery:banana::party30::cool05:
You did well brother. In the past 10 weeks, I have found less than 1000 rounds of 22LR locally. Which is ok with me because I don't shoot it, but pick it up for a buddy who does.