• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

And then the ophthalmologist says . . . . . . .

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I want that cataract out of your eye like yesterday. Sheesh, if this keeps up I'm gonna be like Taezzar. Procedure scheduled for June.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I want that cataract out of your eye like yesterday. Sheesh, if this keeps up I'm gonna be like Taezzar. Procedure scheduled for June.
Guess you shoulda drove a rincoln towncar instead.

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
My doc said I had a "dense brunescent cataract". That's a pretty advanced cataract and you can lose the eye if left untreated. You might be surprised at the colors you will see after the repair. My vision was yellowed by the cataract and I could see TRUE blues and purples again after the surgery. They also correct your vision by replacing the cornea with a soft lens.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
The "good news" today was the Dermatologist said . . . . After a needle to the forehead and a sharp knife . . . . We'll send it in for a bioposy, but I don't expect it to be anything. Small miracles. Got a nice headache from the needle, though.

TBSE, I forget what she called it but she asked if I took steroids. I said nothing that wasn't prescribed to me.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

My doc said I had a "dense brunescent cataract". That's a pretty advanced cataract and you can lose the eye if left untreated. You might be surprised at the colors you will see after the repair. My vision was yellowed by the cataract and I could see TRUE blues and purples again after the surgery. They also correct your vision by replacing the cornea with a soft lens.
YUP, that was my experience. I am up for the other eye. MrLucky, it's a cake walk. You will like it. :finished:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I'm undecided if I want to go for the super duper lens or go for the standard lens.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'm undecided if I want to go for the super duper lens or go for the standard lens.
I did standard & they are great. KISS !:finished:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
So here we are getting closer and closer.

The left eye has a posterior subcapsular cataract. That is the one she wants out first. She made no comment about the right eye so I guess that's just a normal cataract.

Had eyes measured last week and found out the procedure. Eyedrops 3x day 3 days prior. No drops day of surgery. But eyedrops 3x day for 5 weeks. My eyes might float away.

Sedation is like a colonoscopy; out but not too deep. 3 hours start to finish. Surgery is only 10 minutes of that 3 hrs

Schedule so far:
6/6 start eyedrops on first eye
6/9 surgery
6/10 start 5 weeks of drops
6/10 post surgery checkup to see if everything is ok with first eye
6/13 start drops on second eye
6/15 another post surgery check on first eye
6/16 surgery on other eye.
Same as before for second eye
Next 5 weeks eyedrops 3x day both eyes.

If I'm not posting much in June, that's why.

Last edited:

the_shootist

Politically Gender Neutral
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

The left eye has a posterior subcapsular cataract. That is the one she wants out first. She made no comment about the right eye so I guess that's just a normal cataract.

Had eyes measured last week and found out the procedure. Eyedrops 3x day 3 days prior. No drops day of surgery. But eyedrops 3x day for 5 weeks. My eyes might float away.

Sedation is like a colonoscopy; out but not too deep. 3 hours start to finish. Surgery is only 10 minutes of that 3 hrs

Schedule so far:
6/9 surgery

My FIL had that done about two years ago. It changed his life and may change yours too. The FIL tells me he can see again after mulling around in the dark.

All the best in your results and recovery!!

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
They tried to do my first eye without sedation. Believe it or not it's pretty hard to hold still and just let somebody cut your eye. They did it a week later with sedation and the other eye also with sedation.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
^^ Pretty hard? Seriously? I'd call that impossible. No one is coming near my eyes with a scalpel unless I'm knocked out.

Just per chance, are you one of those people who like to watch your own colonoscopy?

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
The weirdest thing for me was a few hours after the surgery when the eye they worked on begins to see fairly well but can't move. I was so disoriented by the extreme double vision that I couldn't safely stand up. Felt like a legal heavy drug trip. Different doctors use different sedation, so ymmv.

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
1st off, they DO NOT replace your cornea with a soft contact lens, it's not a corneal transplant for God's sake, sheesh.
They allowed me in the room when my brother, who was a +6 diopter hyperope, had a clear lens exchange, meaning, same procedure as a cataract operation except he didn't have cataracts.

They put him on a hospital bed, IIRC I V'd him, then put him in a queue of 15 or so beds. Everytime a procedure was done, the last bed went in and everyone moved down a slot. Then, while in line, they start prepping him. Somewhere during the waiting process they numbed his face with very fine needles, don't know if that is still done, when it was his turn to be wheeled in is when they put him in dream land, still awake but a nurse could gave her way with him.

I was in the room but watched it all on an overhead tv. One tiny cut on the limbus, the juncture where the cornea meets the sclera, and 1 tiny drop of blood appeared. A tiny twin tube was inserted, 1 pulverized the lens tissue and the other tube sucked up the pieces. Then the new lens is inserted, no stitches. They then did the other eye. Each eye took a few minutes. He still wears glasses with a slight bifocal rx. Amazing how quick it was.

This was 10 years or so ago so it may be even more streamlined. This surgery is performed more than any other and is very successful.

When my granny in law had it done she ordered her glasses from me. She comes to pick them up, I put them on and she starts crying! Gram, what's the matter?... She says...I never knew what you looked like!
A few weeks later we went to visit her and gramps. Walking up to the door we could hear her mumbling and clanging pots and pans! Gram, what's the problem? Oh, it's these glasses! Well, what's wrong with them? I see all the dirt now, I'm cleaning all the time!! Lol

The loss of clarity is so gradual you don't notice until you get new lenses. You'll see better and like it!

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
At my place you just sit in a reclined chair while they pop in the new lens. The eye is knocked out locally, but no general sedation. It's a production line, with the day's patients staged in different states of the local anesthesia. When it's your turn you walk into the "procedure room" (with somebody holding your arm), and sit in the chair. 15 minutes later you walk out, and another 15 minutes you're out the front door. A driver is required. Before cataract replacement I had a retina surgery. It was "interesting" to watch the fluid level go down as it was sucked out, the little tools moving around, then the fluid being pumped back it.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
^^ Pretty hard? Seriously? I'd call that impossible. No one is coming near my eyes with a scalpel unless I'm knocked out.

Just per chance, are you one of those people who like to watch your own colonoscopy?
That was not addressed to me, BUT , yes I am !! I even got to watch them put a stent in my heart.
My last colonoscopy, I watched because after it came a camera down my throat. I wanted to be damned sure they used a different camera !!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
They tried to do my first eye without sedation. Believe it or not it's pretty hard to hold still and just let somebody cut your eye. They did it a week later with sedation and the other eye also with sedation.
I had mine done with only a local, as they claimed they needed to communicate with me, so again, I got to watch.
I am very sensitive to anything in my eyes (never could wear contacts). The doctor scolded me a couple of time because I was blinking, that's a no-no. I am up for the other eye, after some other surgeries.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Schedule so far:
6/9 surgery

Well fwiw your typing skills are still A+

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Schedule so far:
6/9 surgery

AND eye drops for the rest of your life !! Mine are Timolol Malate & Latanoprost.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
AND eye drops for the rest of your life !! Mine are Timolol Malate & Latanoprost.
Like keeping any machine worth it's salt in running order, gotta keep things lubed.
1652597134986.png

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That was not addressed to me, BUT , yes I am !! I even got to watch them put a stent in my heart.
My last colonoscopy, I watched because after it came a camera down my throat. I wanted to be damned sure they used a different camera !!!:rotf::rotf::rotf:
when I had my shoulder done they had the camera set up. I kept moving so I could watch. The Doc threatened to knock' me out if didn't sit still. When I was Vet Tech I used to be a surgical assistant too. It was fascinating to watch.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Schedule so far:
6/9 surgery

good luck.. Keep us posted.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Heck, I watch every thing I get done if there is a monitor present, Heart, Colonocopy, ... I also prefer NOT to be sedated if possible. I feel sedation extends the recovery time, and there are times I don't want to bother people for a ride home.