• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Another call on google listing

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Today I got a call from someone trying to get money from his father's box of coins, nothing special, just silver coins.

This was what he had for 90%, 40% US silver coins and some Canadian 80% and 50% silver coins:
s-l1600[1].jpg

s-l1600[1].jpg

Also there were two Silver dollars, an XF Peace and Morgan dollar, around XF. I gave the guy $96. How would you deal with these calls?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
I see mostly 40%, I think you were very generous ! :2 thumbs up:

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I looked up what the melt was, $3 and change on the 40% Kennedys. I have gotten beaten up on the PCGS forum on not paying enough. Google has a listing for me, a Jewish guy who I had to file a harassment complaint against ended up leaving me a positive feedback! Go figure! I don't solicit feedback

The dollars go for good money now on ebay. Maybe I overpaid. I'm seeing 40% half dollars going for $5 each on ebay. Eventually the buyer comes in.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
After correcting for the 40% halves, it looks like almost $6 face, or roughly $22/oz. And you got two big shiny ones as a kicker.

I think you both got a good deal for the silver content. Personally, I was glad when I got rid of my bag of 40% and I would probably never buy any more. But that's another story.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I figured silver content on coins listed at around $60 melt. The other two dollars, one Morgan and one Peace dollar go regularly for over $30 each these days. So paying $96 will let me make a $20-$30 profit.

Goldhedge

Retired
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

Bman33

Silver Surfer
Reaction score
My LCS gives me 90% of melt for 40% Kennedys. He gets 100% melt on those from one of his connections. I coin roll hunted halves so I was always bringing in 40% to him. I didn't know what else to do with 40% so this was my best option. I also would trade it in for gold purchases. Win Win for him and me. I think $96 you paid the dude was generous.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I figured around $60 melt on that group of coins and the Peace and Morgan are worth $50 at a minimum. He probably would have taken $50-$60 for the group though. On the other hand I have had customers who really play the local coin buyers doing their own research overvaluing their stuff and holding out for the most they can.

savvydon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I figured around $60 melt on that group of coins and the Peace and Morgan are worth $50 at a minimum. He probably would have taken $50-$60 for the group though. On the other hand I have had customers who really play the local coin buyers doing their own research overvaluing their stuff and holding out for the most they can.
You treated him fairly. It usually pays off in the end when you treat folks fairly.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I looked up what the melt was, $3 and change on the 40% Kennedys. I have gotten beaten up on the PCGS forum on not paying enough. Google has a listing for me, a Jewish guy who I had to file a harassment complaint against ended up leaving me a positive feedback! Go figure! I don't solicit feedback

The dollars go for good money now on ebay. Maybe I overpaid. I'm seeing 40% half dollars going for $5 each on ebay. Eventually the buyer comes in.
Dont worry about the people who complain you didn't pay enough.
Dont waste time explaining to them everyone is different and you may not be the end user, so your price reflects your expectations.
$50 in dollars $30 in halfs, the rest would be fluff is how I would have calculated, that may have been generous.
Well over face value and I'm not a dealer that has the ability to flip them in a few hours for +35%.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I popped into a coin shop in bullhead Arizona.
They were closed but a lady pulled up at the same time.
I told her they were closed, she was looking to sell some silver.

I asked what she had.
Some coins and silver jewlery pieces...and she handed me a bag of coins.
I took a quick look (the GF waiting in the car quick look) and saw $5 face value.
I offered $50 and she gladly accepted it.

I got blasted on another site for ripping her off.

You do you as I explained to the other haters.

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i'm lucky if i get $3 for 40% on ebay unless they're Bright White, then I might get $4

but, advice:
don't fret if anyone says you overpaid, imho you did, because somewhere down the road, you'll at least break-even

but you certainly didn't underpay for those....

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I popped into a coin shop in bullhead Arizona.
They were closed but a lady pulled up at the same time.
I told her they were closed, she was looking to sell some silver.

I asked what she had.
Some coins and silver jewlery pieces...and she handed me a bag of coins.
I took a quick look (the GF waiting in the car quick look) and saw $5 face value.
I offered $50 and she gladly accepted it.

I got blasted on another site for ripping her off.

You do you as I explained to the other haters.
You saved her another trip, and if you went a little low you probably paid more than the pawn shops.

Apmex has a multi thousand dollar premium last I checked for selling to them. Small petty amounts are more an annoyance but also an opportunity to connect with someone who knows nothing about the hobby or precious metals.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
There are many things far more valuable and fulfilling than silver & gold that cannot be held in the hand or taken from your heart.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I wouldn’t have paid more than melt for a few partially silver coins, if that. Seems generous to me. Hope you still make money after expenses.