• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Another of those 'Not a investment' deals

Work vehicle preference? 1/2 ton 3/4 ton 1 tons

• Ford

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Dodge Ram

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Gm

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Anything but them

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
bought a 12 Ford 150 plat eco, ran up 40K on it and traded it to the 13
other than the raptor, best that ford has to give,

Rear brakes have squealed since new,
now at 36K a real wheel seal is leaking,
squeaks in the suspension from new,
like riding around in a mountain dew can

now I used to be a Gm guy after I had switched from ford years ago, at least I had good rides and decent maint costs, no real issues,

regardless, when it became oatsama motors, I left permanently and chose ford as they were the only one to not take the bailout and so on.

all of them have become nothing but controlled obsolescence, and certainly they haven't taken the hint from asians in how to create a long lasting brand loyalty

so we have this little poll here, would be nice to hear your opinions re working vehicles

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Right now, have no idea what the replacement to this mtn dew can will be, but assuredly, no matter how great they are, it won't be asian

Canadian-guerilla

hunter-gatherer
Gold Chaser
" American Made " doesn't mean the same as did 40 years ago

I think it started with the 73? Oil embargo and the demise of the "muscle car "

If i were to buy a vehicle today

4WD and pre-1975 ( EMP )

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
I prefer G.M. vehicles from 1955-1972.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
My 10 Tundra has been in the fargin shop 3 times for warranty work, front diff, and air pump twice. Front rotors have issues too. Only 65,000 miles. guess we are all out of options for a decent modern pickup. Maybe Reo has a spare duece.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Most of the "American Made" brands are actually assembled in Mexico now anyway. I'd rather buy a brand that's assembled/manufactured on US soil. So that means Nissan (built in Mississippi) or Toyota (built in Texas).

I'm now on my 4th Nissan Titan. First two were totaled in wrecks shortly after purchasing due to other idiots. The 3rd I drove for 7 1/2 years and ~150K miles with no real issues. I'm on my forth now with around 6K miles. I bought it new for around $37K LOADED (crew cab, leather, 4WD, premium sound, tech bells & whistles, etc). Similar Ford truck would have been about $20K more. If you want a deal on a good vehicle, I'd snag up a leftover new/CPO 14/15 Titan somewhere. Significant changes coming later this year for 16 models, so I'd get in before the change so you don't end up beta testing their new vehicle and don't have to pay the likely mark-up coming.

If I didn't ever really need to tow something and/or wanted something smaller, I'd consider either a Frontier or even the Honda Ridgeline (built in Alabama).

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My 10 Tundra has been in the fargin shop 3 times for warranty work, front diff, and air pump twice. Front rotors have issues too. Only 65,000 miles. guess we are all out of options for a decent modern pickup. Maybe Reo has a spare duece.
Yeah Toyota don't make 'em like they used to, IMO.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Right now, have no idea what the replacement to this mtn dew can will be, but assuredly, no matter how great they are, it won't be asian
I'm not sure what your aversion to "asian motors" is. I could understand it 20 years ago, but today these brands are actually built here in the U.S., supporting our economy and providing jobs here AND also have mostly U.S. parts. Last time I compared the stickers on a new Ford truck versus new Nissan truck, the percentage of US parts on the Nissan bet the crap out of the Ford AND the Nissan was assembled in the US also. Ford has been shifting their production to Mexico.

EDIT: Oh and on side note, I COMPLETELY agree with your position on not even considering a GM or Chrysler product. I felt the same way and still do. I will likely never buy one of them again. I did consider Ford this last purchase I made, but in the end I felt that the Nissan was a more solidly built vehicle when it comes to frame/engine/tranny. Ford had a more luxurious look and finish, but no way does that justify the extreme increase in price to buy Ford vs Nissan. Ford has picked up a TON of former GM/Dodge customers after the bailout and can charge what they like these days. I'm glad Nissan has a less expensive alternative for those of us that just want our truck to work. Having said that vehicles across all brands are way too complex these days and they all have some issues from time to time, but in my experience and research, Nissan will have the fewest. The only way I'd go Ford is if you need a heavier duty truck to haul larger trailers (i.e., F250). Even then I might would consider Nissan's heavy duty diesel truck slated to be released this fall. http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016-titan/

Here's their tagline, touting all the U.S. labor involved in producing it. Not sure any other brand can make these claims:
titan.JPG

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Doesn't the V8 Nissan Titian have a Fiat [Chrysler] motor?

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Doesn't the V8 Nissan Titian have a Fiat [Chrysler] motor?
It's all Nissan and very strong in the current model. At one point in the past they were in talks to do some partnership with Chrysler, but it never panned out (THANK GOD!). The new model Nissan will have a Nissan gas engine option assembled in TN or a diesel Cummins engine option assembled in IN.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
I'm not sure what your aversion to "asian motors" is.
because I don't forget

because I don't give them a bye on what they have done to the american worker

because I don't agree with their predatory export/import policies

because I don't agree with them stealing my wallet while they hand me a milk bone

because the real money transfer doesn't reside with hiring a few minion,

I could go on but why bother, everybody and his brother is screwing his neighbor anyway then turning around and bitching about the economy............

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We always used early 2000's Tundra's in construction. They lasted forever. I think a few are still going at 350k+. We had an Early 2000 Chevy 3500 dump truck that also still running strong today.

New vehicles. Half of the office I work in have fords half have Chevys. The ones with the Chevys seem to have more problems than the fords. Both sides make fun of my 1993 corolla and yet they all have more things go wrong with their new vehicles than my old beater.

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
because I don't forget

because I don't give them a bye on what they have done to the american worker

because I don't agree with their predatory export/import policies

because I don't agree with them stealing my wallet while they hand me a milk bone

because the real money transfer doesn't reside with hiring a few minion,

I could go on but why bother, everybody and his brother is screwing his neighbor anyway then turning around and bitching about the economy............
What they've done to the American worker? Seriously???? They've EMPLOYED them that's what they've done. The other big 3 have laid them off in favor of outsourcing to offshore.

Predatory import policies? What? They aren't importing vehicles--they're being built HERE. And have been for a LONG time.

Stealing your wallet? Well, I'd consider that I'm getting more value for my money for a better product than the other currently available alternatives.

As for the rest of it, I'm not clear what you're talking about.....care to enlighten me?

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We always used early 2000's Tundra's in construction. They lasted forever. I think a few are still going at 350k+. We had an Early 2000 Chevy 3500 dump truck that also still running strong today.

New vehicles. Half of the office I work in have fords half have Chevys. The ones with the Chevys seem to have more problems than the fords. Both sides make fun of my 1993 corolla and yet they all have more things go wrong with their new vehicles than my old beater.
I have had tremendous sucess with early 2000s chevy/gmc 1500hd and 2500hd 6.0 gassers ......only weak spot seems to be gm auto trans is good for about 150-200k if you use them hard......allisons are great...stick is great.....i still have a 01 1500hd that now has 300k on it ....since new its only needed besides consumables.....brakes replaced once...auto trans rebuilt...one alternator...tuned up once....AC compressor is starting to rattle a bit so its about due........but 15yrs and 300k is hard to beat ...had several with similar results...

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
JM2C............

Most of the heavy construction companies in my area use Ford (F150s, F250s & F350 both 2x and 4x) as their light / med duty fleet trucks. I worked on them for years and never had any out-of-the-ordinary problems with them. Of course regular inspections, preventive maintenance and timely repairs go a long way to keeping vehicles road ready. You also need to stay on top of driver abuse and neglect.

I'd recommend Ford to anyone looking for a work / fleet truck.

If interested here's a few sites I visit once in a while:

http://www.vehicleservicepros.com/

http://www.government-fleet.com/channel/maintenance.aspx

http://www.constructionfleets.com/Default.aspx

http://www.forconstructionpros.com/equipment

http://www.trucktrend.com/

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/

http://www.worktruckonline.com/

http://www.truckinginfo.com/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
" American Made " doesn't mean the same as did 40 years ago

I think it started with the 73? Oil embargo and the demise of the "muscle car "

If i were to buy a vehicle today

4WD and pre-1975 ( EMP )
EMP? pre 75 have points?

Canadian-guerilla

hunter-gatherer
Gold Chaser
EMP? pre 75 have points?
i'm not an expert on this

would an EMP affect a pre-75 engine if it wasn't running ?

I would rather have something that I could ( maybe ) fix after an EMP
than a modern day computerized engine that could be ( completely ) fried after an EMP

Ive been looking for a needle in a hay stack ot seems.

A 2005 Chevy 3500 4x4 extended cab dually but not crew cab with 8.1L and 5speed manual trans.

In the past 6 months have only been able two, one north of seattle Wash and the other amarillo texas. By the time I found then they were gone.

Ive been told these trucks are very rare configured like that.

Finders fee for anyone that locates one of these that I end up buying.

Have cash and or gold / silver.

CG, For a emp just about proof truck buy a M1008, M1028 or a M1031 CUCV.
Use google to find one for sale also search for Military trucks, they have a 6.2L Diesel eng that has mechanical fuel injection 24V system(starter) you can convert it to 12v easy.
They have no computer only thing electronic is alternator and starter, keep pair of the alts and a starter in a faraday box and your golden.
i'm not an expert on this

would an EMP affect a pre-75 engine if it wasn't running ?

I would rather have something that I could ( maybe ) fix after an EMP
than a modern day computerized engine that could be ( completely ) fried after an EMP

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I have been driving Chevy S10's since the late 1980's. Started with a 1985 pickup, then bought a 1996 Chev S10 4X4 pickup and then a 2003 Chev S10 2WD pickup. Bought the wife a used 2001 Chev 4WD Blazer this year. Great vehicles and the gas mileage is not so bad.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

It really bugs me to buy depreciating assets any longer, I had been a new car buyer for the past 25 years going through 5 new vehicles in that time. I lost 1/2 the value with my last new car in 4 short years, a Mazda that I paid 25k for

Picked up this '72 el Camino a few years back for 6K that I should have little trouble getting 6k back out of it when need be, its my daily driver and only vehicle at the moment. I will only be buying classic Americans from here on out, helps to be retired and no need for cheap commuting

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I would like to inquire of the group...about ford diesels....i know the 7.3 powerstroke was a good engine.....and i hear good things about the current engine........but hear a lot of mixed information about all the ones in between.....6.0 etc....

i am going to be in the market for a diesel engine truck soon and starting my dd........i will probably buy something 10yrs old +/- to be used mainly for heavy trailering.....so a 3/4 or 1 ton.....and i am not about to spend the 60-70k for a new one

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
For the the amount of $ I could spend on a new used diesel truck, I can have a fully restored 75' Chevy 3/4 4x4. Not only that, I could have it repowerd with a Diesel engine and have one hellofA truck.

My favorite truck is my 81' AmGen Duece with a multifuler engine.

Do really want a new truck Scorp? The minute you drive'em off the lot you know......

techguy2

Meh
Gold Chaser
I would like to inquire of the group...about ford diesels....i know the 7.3 powerstroke was a good engine.....and i hear good things about the current engine........but hear a lot of mixed information about all the ones in between.....6.0 etc....

i am going to be in the market for a diesel engine truck soon and starting my dd........i will probably buy something 10yrs old +/- to be used mainly for heavy trailering.....so a 3/4 or 1 ton.....and i am not about to spend the 60-70k for a new one
6.0 had a lot of reliability issues, not necessarily durability issues. many of the horror stories are due to people running non-stock.

That said, i had a 2000 F250 6.0 that i took a bath on due to the reputation. I now run a F250 6.7 Diesel. 30k miles so far, no issues.

IMHO this will be my LAST diesel, which pains me to say because I love diesels. The issue is that between the new turbochargers, the new DPF (exhaust fluid) systems, dual cooling systems (2 radiators), and the fuel rail systems, they are EXTREMELY expensive to service and keep running. If the high pressure fuel pump gets ANY water or other contamination, BOOM... total replacement of ENTIRE fuel delivery system.

Common prices today:

HPFP (fuel pump) detonation and destroys fuel rail and injectors: $10k (Ford will ONLY do this service, full replacement only)
Turbocharger replacement $5-6k
DPF Particulate system replacement $2k

I love it now, but I will run this one up to 90k miles and then trade for a simpler vehicle to maintain.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
actually REO, I am thinking along those lines for my next,

probably going to go with a mid 70's Chev, new engine, new trans, etc.

and just build what I want rather than paying these silly ass prices for less than adequate quality, along with atrocious gas mileage

Scorp, You can score a 1984-1987 CUCV 1.250 Ton chevy with a 6.2L diesel that all but inpervous to emp and or for some coin swap out the 6.2 and put a 7.4L gasser in it.

This is a M1008 CUCV truck

This link shows pics of many diffrernt models of the CUCV's.
https://www.google.com/search?q=CUC...X&ved=0CAgQ_AVqFQoTCJ3Iu6bJg8gCFREsiAodvj0DBA

And in some states they are smog exempt, the vin # tells the dmv that so even if you swap out the eng as I have done, there are no hassles with the state if you choose to register it.

If anyone has in mind to convert a CUCV truck or blazer to 12v here is the most used process.
Its a PDF download FYI.
http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/nn10.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?clien...&ved=0CA0QBSgAahUKEwiO-_rdx4PIAhVHLogKHekgDe8

Last edited:

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
I was trying to avoid mentioning that website.

Try talking about anything but military vehicles there and get your head chopped off.

IMO the censorship there is over the top.
But yes it is a decent source for parts.

Also another good source of info for CUCV's

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Scorp, You can score a 1984-1987 CUCV 1.250 Ton chevy with a 6.2L diesel that all but inpervous to emp and or for some coin swap out the 6.2 and put a 7.4L gasser in it.

This is a M1008 CUCV truck

This link shows pics of many diffrernt models of the CUCV's.
https://www.google.com/search?q=CUC...X&ved=0CAgQ_AVqFQoTCJ3Iu6bJg8gCFREsiAodvj0DBA

And in most states its smog exempt, the vin # tells the dmv that so even if you swap out the eng as I have done, there are no hassles with the state if you choose to register it.

If anyone has in mind to convert a CUCV truck or blazer to 12v here is the most used process.
Its a PDF download FYI.
http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/nn10.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?clien...&ved=0CA0QBSgAahUKEwiO-_rdx4PIAhVHLogKHekgDe8
Where I live at, the fire dept. has one of these M1008's, for fighting grass and brush fires. Perfect chassis. It was received in nearly mint condition with 27,000 miles on it. Was previously used by an Army medical unit, so it was not worn down, as if it would have been with an engineer, etc. unit. The Fire Dept. received it through a surplus program, for a mere $200.00 transfer fee.

Nearby fire district has an Humvee, to be used for grass and brush fires. Excellent chassis, too.

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
I was trying to avoid mentioning that website.

Try talking about anything but military vehicles there and get your head chopped off.

IMO the censorship there is over the top.
But yes it is a decent source for parts.
Really? The truth is I found out about GIM from hanging out at steelsoldiers site. They are far more than " just a descent part source" IMO.
There is tons of info, history, tech mans and tips etc than I could ever post about.

Censorship, well that may due in part that the mods are totally cautious about TheGov coming in to there site and doing whatever, due to thier military affection of affliction to such vehicals & equipment. They want to stay out politics and keep it OD green.

Last edited:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I went ahead and popped for ford in the poll. A regular cab can be found for 30k maybe 35. GM and Mopar are out. I can get an x plan through my employer and that drops me down to dealership cost and an extended warranty. Now I have to wade through the engine configurations and do a little research on how the 3.5 does towing a horse trailer. The mileage appears to smash the Toyota. I'm a drive it till the wheels fall off but I have concerns that the tundras wheels aren't very secure. The other plus is 0% financing, I have the cash but why dump it into a depreciating shit heap. Overall I would expect a $10k difference in trade.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I was a die hard Ford F350, Diesel, 4x4, 4 door owner for 20 years.
I also regularly burned up the Ford crap auto tranny, because I tow a 10,000 lb boat
with 1,100 lbs of tongue weight.
My son went with Dodge diesels & one day, when my tranny blew (again) said to me,
"when are you going to get tired of pissing on an electric fence"
So in 2007, I bought my first Dodge diesel, 4x4, 4 dr. I have 85,000 miles on it & NOT ONE PROBLEM.
I am a throttle jockey & love power & speed. This Cummins diesel with the 6 speed German tranny
takes everything I throw at it. I am extremely happy with the power & the economy. I am getting 24 MPG
when I keep my foot out of it & 17 to 19 when I push it. I get 12/13 towing.

Now ask me what would be the perfect truck.

In my value system, a Ford F350 or F450, 4x4, with the Cummins diesel & German 6 speed automatic would really do it for me.

Last edited:
No matter the reason its still censorship and its the reason Ill never do anything there but pickup a part I need for any of the ex military trucks / tracks I own.

Its just like Infringement of the 2nd admemdment but its only a little infringement lol.

Really? The truth is I found out about GIM from hanging out at steelsoldiers site. They are far more than " just a descent part source" IMO.
There is tons of info, history, tech mans and tips etc than I could ever post about.

Censorship, well that may due in part that the mods are totally cautious about TheGov coming in to there site and doing whatever, due to thier military affection of affliction to such vehicals & equipment. They want to stay out politics and keep it OD green.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
actually REO, I am thinking along those lines for my next,

probably going to go with a mid 70's Chev, new engine, new trans, etc.

and just build what I want rather than paying these silly ass prices for less than adequate quality, along with atrocious gas mileage
And don't forget the spyware...

foolsgold

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have a 2010 tundra, it hasn't given me much problems but it hasn't been asked to do much except plow snow and run to home depot.

http://beta.motortrend.com/features...uvs_vans_with_most_north_american_made_parts/

Toyota Tundra
Who would have thought the fifth-best-selling full-size truck from a Japanese automaker would have the most North American parts content on our list? In fact, the Toyota Tundra is the only full-size pickup on the list. The Toyota Tundra features 70 percent North American parts content and 15 percent Japanese parts content. Additionally, the Tundra was designed, engineered, and built in the U.S. That includes its engines and transmissions.

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Lately after looking at the auto market I'm at the point that I'll keep what I got [2 seater car] and rent a truck when I need one. I gave my '94 S10 to my son, he keeps talking about getting a "better vehicle" for his daily drive with working A/C, he's at Fort Hood, but I don't see him actually doing it. I guess he has a bad case of sticker shock plus insurance up price. He is at the moment busy swapping the original engine and trans on his '82 project car, a Royal Knight El Camino. He pulled them this weekend, now he has to install the new wiring harness. Followed by a crate motor and a rebuilt trans. He already did the suspension and brake upgrades.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I never made the deal on a new F150, everything left on the lots were far nicer than the plain jane I was looking for. Been driving for eons without all those damned whiz bangs and no intention of paying for them now.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Day-ammmmm. I have my feet and the horse....everything mechanical is giving me fits....

You know what they say... "if it has wheels or tits it will give you problems." $O far every thing with tits is pulling ahead......

gringott

"Internet Influencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

It really bugs me to buy depreciating assets any longer, I had been a new car buyer for the past 25 years going through 5 new vehicles in that time. I lost 1/2 the value with my last new car in 4 short years, a Mazda that I paid 25k for

Picked up this '72 el Camino a few years back for 6K that I should have little trouble getting 6k back out of it when need be, its my daily driver and only vehicle at the moment. I will only be buying classic Americans from here on out, helps to be retired and no need for cheap commuting
Couldn't help myself, sorry OP.

El Camino Rectum.jpg

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Just a little bump.................

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Wins Truck Trend's Pickup of the Year Award

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/1...ns-truck-trends-pickup-of-the-year-award.html

Toolboxes vs. Spreadsheets: Stepping into the Fleet Manager Role
http://www.government-fleet.com/cha...ets-stepping-into-the-fleet-manager-role.aspx

There’s a Big Issue with GM’s SUVs and No One Seems to Have a Solution
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...suvs-and-no-one-seems-to-have-a-solution.html

6 Takeaways from 2015 in Truck Parts and Service
http://www.truckinginfo.com/channel...-the-truck-parts-and-service-aftermarket.aspx

Ford Issues Recalls for F-150, F-650, F-750, and Transit
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1512-ford-issues-recalls-for-f-150-f-650-f-750-and-transit/

Last edited: