• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Any Trappers Here?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Is anyone else here trapping this winter? We are just finishing up here, as the hides are past prime condition here now, except for bobcat.

This year I caught/shot 38 coyotes, 2 bobcats, and 11 coons. Since I live in a good fur area, im expecting to get a 2k frn fur check.

My state trapping assoc fur auction is in a few weeks, and im looking forward to voluteering there, and learning the basics of fur grading.

best regards,
coopersmith

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
You done swell on coyotes. They may be the only thing worth catching this year. I do a bunch of yotes every year and sold 2 for $30 that I didn't figure were worth skinning. I send mine to NAFA as I get better returns than the local fur buyer. I've got 26 at this sale and will probably end up with 20 at the next sale.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
You guys might start an instuctional thread on trapping, skinning, selling etc. ??
:don't    know2::2 thumbs up:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
How did your Alberta coyotes do pitw? I have a few more finishing drying, I have everything boraxed and ready to be blown out w the compressor tomorrow. The sale im going to is Saturday.

I dunno what happened, but I had ears slipping on 3 of the last ones I put up. I pulled all the lose hair and boraxed the bujezzus out of the ears. I could smell the funk when I went into the shed.

edit>>>>>just got a call from the grader for this sale. He said dont sweat the ears, I did the right thing and if their still funky come sale time well cut em off. he told me weve got 1200 yotes to grade for this sale, from 14 states. I am extremely excited to be volunteerng with this guy, hes promised to give me the low down as we go thru the dogs. its just the type education I need, as next year ill be buying yotes.

best regards,
coopersmith

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
19 sold for an average of $86 US each. Top was $126x3 which felt good. My fur buying buddy who does between 3-6,000 was crying the blues as the poorer coyotes bit him in the ass. The Marten trappers did OK too but everything else including Ranched furs got squished.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I have returned from the Colorado Trappers Assoc fur sale. There were 1563 coyotes on offer, along with other fur. 2000 lots total. The sale took 2 days with tanned furs and antlers selling the first day and stretched hides selling today. The top coyote was a Colorado yote and brought $125. It was a high altitude yote grading heavy, clear, a color, taken off a dead pile in the Walden area. Here is the breakdown.

NV 8 8 $30.00 $60.00 $47.50
NM 28 28 $32.50 $87.50 $66.43
NE 117 117 $5.00 $85.00 $41.56
UT 10 10 $45.00 $55.00 $52.00
OK 18 18 $1.00 $27.50 $17.03
NY 18 18 $22.50 $45.00 $31.11
WY 33 33 $32.50 $100.00 $70.38
CO 1100 1100 $2.00 $125.00 $55.58
Ari 24 24 $17.50 $55.00 $22.71
ND 2 2 $75.00 $75.00 $75.00
MT 135 135 $65.00 $100.00 $92.11
KS 33 33 $40.00 $55.00 $48.56
ID 15 15 $45.00 $57.50 $47.67
State Offered Sold Low High Average
Coyotes By State

My yotes (40) avg 41.50 frn, with a high of 60 on a lot of 5 hides. Most of my sw kansas, se Colorado yotes graded heavy commercial. I did have several semi heavy clears I shot south of La Junta Co, that helped my avg.

My other specie offerings did poorly. I sold 2 bobcats, for $70 and 100. The top cat was a carcass cat, frozen in the round, from the basalt area, for $300 (this cat would have brought $1200 2 yrs ago). Most stretched cat offerings were tanners with very few exceptional offerings. Many cat trappers foresaw this downtrend and left their traps in the shed this year.

I took 9 coon pelts after giving 2 blue hides (early, no value) to a friend so he could try tanning. my coons with good fleshing and putup, all 3 xl and up, silver, prime, w no yellow, brought .25 each. Ranch fur and tanned fur did poorly, with many no sales. Private treaty sales were poor.

The fur market is absolutely in the toilet. The only decent demand in the market is for coyotes. The cat market is dead. I have friends sending to the fallon sale and after talking to many international buyers, im very happy with my $70 and $100 cats. I did purchase several tanned alaskan otters, in a speculative move. There is rumor that a french buyer has been putting out feelers for heavy prime northern otter, looking to use the fur to accent a new clothing line later this year.

Also if anyone has or can acquire MORE THAN 1000 colorado/nm/montana elk hides next winter pm me. I will buy them.

best regards
coopersmith

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I gots to ask, what the [L] do you do with a 1000 elk hides? I've got two tanned Alberta hides I ain't found a good use for yet.
Man are your cats down, always was kinda/sorta jealous of the price they brought a few years back. Right now I've got the biggest dang Weasel I've ever seen just on the North side of the yard eating at the bait pile. He has a head like a Fisher.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thanks for the fur report guys. Used to trap, old now, just dream about the old days.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Used to trap, haven't done any in ages. Thanks for the great memories! I had a nice young raccoon that I had cased out, scared the bejeebers out of my wife (GF at the time) when she saw it for the first time with it's eyelashes and everything still intact, she didn't mind lounging on that nice Montana Coyote pelt though.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Started trapping at 5 years old and at 6 would get off the bus a mile and a half from home to check my line.
This would be my chair at the kitchen table.

Two coons, grey fox, bobcat, 2 marten, lynx and possum. None of them caught by me but sent up tanned from a guy in Texas except for the Marten and lynx. Wife hated my chair at first but has growed used to it.LOL

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
I just found out that there is a lady on island paying a $30 bounty on RABBITS mot keep out of her garden.

(Paul Allen'prolly)

Damm, we gots some high end targets out here.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Hi there fellas, the elk hides are in demand for gloves, well take it where we can get it and deliver those hides on.

On a sidenote, id love to have a rabbit bounty here, easypeasy. They are thick here, we been eating em by the pile, with not much restraint, and they taste real good.

Thats a real slick fur setup on that chair, id sure take my dinner in it.

All you old farts, I think if you tried you could still trap. I bet youd put out 1/3 the steel I would and prolly catch the same fur. Ole wiley bastids and all, your selling yerselves short. Get yer droopy asses going and well see you at the Co state sale............;) bring your fur.

best regards
coopersmith

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We had bush bunny's here by the bushel when I was young[30+ years ago. They were the best eating and I ain't had one for 20+ years. Glad someone still knows how to enjoy em. That would be a pile of gloves.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
How the [L] did I do that?^^^

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hi there fellas, the elk hides are in demand for gloves, well take it where we can get it and deliver those hides on.

On a sidenote, id love to have a rabbit bounty here, easypeasy. They are thick here, we been eating em by the pile, with not much restraint, and they taste real good.

Thats a real slick fur setup on that chair, id sure take my dinner in it.

All you old farts, I think if you tried you could still trap. I bet youd put out 1/3 the steel I would and prolly catch the same fur. Ole wiley bastids and all, your selling yerselves short. Get yer droopy asses going and well see you at the Co state sale............;) bring your fur.

best regards
coopersmith
Dick..hahaha.....I have not a problem with eating the stringy meat, not at all. I just gave up the killing to enrich myself. Don't get me wrong though, I will kill a pest and not keep a thing.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Hi there Mike, I dont understand the dick comment, but its a possibility im dense. We eat all we can, canids arent edible, we do eat rabbit, coon, bobcat and gifted lion meat. We do also like a good grain fed pig, not from the store.

If I was to buy elk hides from meat cutters here in Co for 7frn per, am I dick?

I guess I dont understand?! please expound. Im at a loss.

best regards
coopersmith

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Trapping is something you share with your kids.

That was the first flying squirrel I'd ever saw in a trap.

Kid learned how to have fun while getting the job done.

You learn to put a set in where the prey will go.

You can run into stinky situations.

You get to collect cool old books.

One can even go to tannery's and see the neatest stuff.

You can bring home some work.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Could you imagine someone lifting that much today? The old truck is much like the one I learned to drive in when I was 3.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Glad to see some beaver vids, will be trying to run some conis up on the arkkansas river n of me this fall. Im pure drylander, ought to be a hoot, flood control you know, working my way into an ADC career, the wife is sceptical to say the least............:stfu: she tells me, thats stupid.

Love them old pics pit, those tumblers and boys you got on deck are quite a site, we have a couple of younguns here as well, they are real good hands.

I just got a new yote wagon yesterday, 90 suburban 4x4, 350 with a 3 speed tranny, we are getting ready to lay some steel when the time comes.

Youngest boy wants to get customized plates on the new rig, 'yoteguts' he says. I like it, as im sure bro Mike does. Fuck that guy.

:truck2:

best regards
coopersmith

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Wife came home from working horses at the neighbors night before last and said Ed figured he has a racoon getting into the dog food. I asked her what she thought and she figured skunk so I sent her back with the live trap cause of the cats around. Ed called me yesterday cussing something fierce, seems the wife was right and the dumb SOB just walked up and picked the trap up and of course got smelling pretty good for his troubles.LOL

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Wife came home from working horses at the neighbors night before last and said Ed figured he has a racoon getting into the dog food. I asked her what she thought and she figured skunk so I sent her back with the live trap cause of the cats around. Ed called me yesterday cussing something fierce, seems the wife was right and the dumb SOB just walked up and picked the trap up and of course got smelling pretty good for his troubles.LOL
Between my son and I, we do a lot of live trapping, mostly in the summer months. Most of this is for raccoons that get in the gardens. We bait with marshmallows to keep down on the cat catches, but occasionally we'll catch a skunk. Depending on where we catch them, we sometimes have to move the trap. We take an old sheet and slooooowly walk up to the trap and place that over the trap, then carry it all away, again sloooowly. Never gotten sprayed that way.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Between my son and I, we do a lot of live trapping, mostly in the summer months. Most of this is for raccoons that get in the gardens. We bait with marshmallows to keep down on the cat catches, but occasionally we'll catch a skunk. Depending on where we catch them, we sometimes have to move the trap. We take an old sheet and slooooowly walk up to the trap and place that over the trap, then carry it all away, again sloooowly. Never gotten sprayed that way.
I have never seen a live racoon up here[I've seen a few dead ones people shot that supposedly jumped off a train]. I've trapped many hundreds of skunks and never been sprayed but I about pissed myself when Ed phoned all mad as he is the wifes friend and not mine. My 15 year old knows to move slow as you describe but Ed not soooooooo much.

Howdy

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have a lot of respect and appreciation for you guys who done in so many coyotes, Good work! I've only killed one so far. Sometimes I set a cage trap out with sardines to find out what's prowling my place at night and get a skunk. I always shoot them in the lungs with a .22 and they can't spray then.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Never judge a fellows numbers on things like coyotes until you know where he lives and how many acres with coyotes he has. I went down to KY to see why guys I spent a lot of time on a predator hunting forum I frequent shot so few. I learned in a hurry that the reason was access to coyotes not their hunting skills. I have a million acres I can access and so many coyotes some guys say I gotta shoo them away so I can sit down to call.
Sardines are my favorite skunk bait.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I prefer a .22 rifle and some distance when I have to put a skunk down. I aim for the heart area. With a revolver, I'm a good shot, but, not from any distance I want to be from a skunk in case I miss the heart/lung area. I did actually walk up on a trapped skunk once and hit it with a steel handle trapping tool. Killed it dead with one strike, broke its neck, can't remember if it sprayed or not, but I picked it up by one of its front paws, took two weeks for the scent to wear off, tried everything we knew of at the time to get rid of the odor, didn't bother me, but wife was not happy about it.

On a side note, I've caught skunks, in live traps, in the heat of summer and after a couple hours they would be dead from the heat. They don't tolerate heat very well.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Remember to always dispatch a skunk with a body/heart shot, that way you don't atomized the brain which may contain rabies. The skunk is the only animal rabies doesn't kill.
BP

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well i-D-Clare...I have spotted my first live coon in a tree in the daylight.

Yep, was talking with the neighbor and he mentioned a couple of birds and pointed to a nest. I told him that wernt no nest it's a coon. Damm dint think I could see that good any more. I'd take a pik but at 60 feet up it'd look like a spot. Yeah, cheep camera phone.

Oh and the birds he was referring to are a nesting pair of vultures....I told him he better get his permits and move soon so he could lose them.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
How goes it guys. Been working my town job, fertilizing the corn ground, messing round with the cows, been fairly busy. Did get our turkey tags filled as well.

I found a few coyote dens last week, figure ill shoot the parents.

I am seeing alot of blue scale quail, its been raining fuck its splendid. Green as ive ever seen it, the turned out calves here will be huge come fall, the buffalo grass is nuts. I am looking forward to it, I need to pick some replacement heifers.

Lots of rabbits and rodents. The bobcats, yotes and raptors have plenty of grub. my uneducated mind would say big litters.

We always appreciate a wet spring here. Its not usual. Its been a long time coming.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
What is the best all round trap for everything small no lrge?
A mouse won't set off a bear trap and a mouse trap won't hold a bear.:ponder:

So I guess a pit trap with geased sides would maybe be the best for all sizes as man made traps just won't get them all in one.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
If I had to pick a starter set of traps to run, id start with good quality cage traps and a coyote rifle. I have managed to catch every furbearer in my area in cage traps, except coyotes. If I had the time id run cages exclusively, along with coyote calling.

If I lived in pitw's area id run snares.

best regards,
coopersmith

Last edited:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
What is the best all round trap for everything small no lrge?
That would be like asking, what gun to use for everything. While there might be one all round best trap type for catching all legal furbearers, one size does not usually work for all, just like one type of set doesn't always work for all animals. Location, as in travel range, has more to do with success than bait or no bait set types.

With cage type traps, I have almost always needed to use bait. While with foot hold or killer traps, blind sets have worked well for me - although with fox or coyote, a bit of urine or scent to get them to investigate the set would help.

So you are really asking, is there one type or size that fits all? And my answer would be, not usually one size, but possibly close to one type would work for most and that one type, if legal, would probably be snares. You would however need to change size of the loop and cable size for what critter you are after. Here is the kicker, you can also say the same thing about just about any other type of trap as well, choices could include, leg or foot hold, killer type, cage/box and snares and lets not forget the old dead fall and pit traps that are no longer legal at least not for most of us.

There may even be other types I have not touched on here, but one type over the other is more dependent on the situation and the skill of the person doing the trapping, also what target animal he/she is trying to catch.