• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Any Trappers Here?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I dang near needed a translator.LOL It may work for cats as I know not how smell sensitive they is or if open sets even work. No cats here.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Cats have a dead nose, thats you house cat, bobcat and lion. All the winter cat lure I use is full of skunk quill, so the cats notice it.

They are also real picky about where they put their feet. They like to walk on dry ground, w no moisture, even when its snowed. this limits them to particular areas during winter. That pan cover is the 'cats ass'.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We are trapping skinning and stretching hides now. The market is looking fairly bad, with some notable exceptions. Heavy - clear colored coyotes will be in high demand. Demand for semi heavys will be determined by the number of heavy offerings. Any lower grades no demand.

Coons put up well, except for 4x and above, no demand.

Bobcat in our area, xl (46"+) fully prime, clear belly 75 to 100 frn.

If fur was any indicator, were in a depression.

FWIW, our friend pit will still get 125 usd for his good stretched pale hides.........:dancing guy

I expect hes got a plan to stetch a hundred.

What say you pit? Hows the dogs looking up your way?

Also thanks searcher for keeping this thread going......right on man!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I sold 2 coyotes in the October NAFA auction that I found last spring under the snow outside the shop as it melted. Skinned them and sent them off only to get 80 USD each for them. If I drive 50 miles South the coyotes are much better than right around home here. Big game hunting season has just ended here so now the coyotes who are well educated to run and gun will settle down to dieing. Trapping now just plain sucks with freezing being a problem. Snaring will be good if we actually get some snow.
The coyotes I saw dead down at the LBL made me shake my head in disbelief that these things actually went to market. Ours had more fur in summer than them did in winter.LOL
I had a couple fellows over from Iceland hunting WT's and coyotes the beginning of November for a week. They each got a deer and 4 coyotes each too. The coyotes were all young of the year but 2 and not worth the effort of skinning so I showed told them what I would do with them and this was the result of one.

I also told them that the taste test was the best way to tell where to find them.:ponder:

Becky[cause I couldn't no how pronounce or spell his name] got this one while calling on a our pasture 1/4 over West.

This pic shows one Icelander telling the other how things went down and I never understood a damb thing.:hunt:

Just shortly before the last pic the one who did the shooting said a word I understood as he discovered his whizzy toy caera hadn't been turned on so that he had no video evidence of his hunt that he loves to share. He didn't appreciate how much I enjoyed this part of the excursion.:rotf:

Every two years I can take a foreigner hunting with a hunter host license which makes for a reasonable hunting trip as their licenses cost about $275Can and they just live with us so no added expense. Some day I or my sons will see Iceland in a way no tourist can.:thumbs up 2:

We have muskrats I ain't seen since the 70's with huts every where.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Pit that yote you threw in the weeds will beat my top lot coyote every year. We dont get em that pale here. If I had to guess id say ill avg $30 per hide this yr. The market is fooked.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I bought 4 yotes today, grand total in the hide freezer will be 47 when these 4 are added. I have been up to the ass cheek with farm tax paperwork for the past 2 weeks, need to get out and start fleshing washing then stretching to dry. I Need to get these dogs boarded and ought of the way. There are 2 calling contests with in 200 miles in the next week, and ive got one bought for sure, ought to be another 35-50 dogs in that lot.

I havent even thought about getting my cat lines out yet, probably wont get on it aside from some scouting until after xmas. That is ok, cats prime real late. Our best cats here tend to be jan/feb hides.

regards, coopersmith

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Your hide freezer must be a biggun. I bought coyotes from a hunting contest once and I never used so much thread in my life as them puppy's were shot to [L]. Never ever caught a cat but would sure try if I got the chance. Luck on your lines.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
What use is for the coyotes? My favorite dish is pink beaver with a side of hairless cheeba.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Coyote fur is used for full length coats, mitt's, leggings and a whole whack of trim by people who like to be warm. It is pretty amazing to me that folks want to like non fur products for heat when they can see that it has worked for animals for about as long as there has been animals.
I'd be awfully afraid of the pink beaver if I was you as them suckers can get right mean.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
i have an 18 sq ft freezer I bought at a local auction, its plenty big enough. I bought 6 cotes this evening, will skin them tomorrow. Not looking forward to it, have joints rolled in preparation. I am going to be mighty tired when the dust settles. Im off to bed at 7:52.......lol

We sew with dental floss and a glovers needle (curved).

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Haven't trapped since high school, quit hunting 15 yrs ago, really don't miss it...don't allow hunting or trapping on my land...have no qualms with anybody that enjoys it, just not for me any more.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Haven't trapped since high school, quit hunting 15 yrs ago, really don't miss it...don't allow hunting or trapping on my land...have no qualms with anybody that enjoys it, just not for me any more.
Everyone is allowed a choice.
Mine is to keep one bullet for the time I can no longer go out and enjoy the out of doors.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Coyote fur is used for full length coats, mitt's, leggings and a whole whack of trim by people who like to be warm. It is pretty amazing to me that folks want to like non fur products for heat when they can see that it has worked for animals for about as long as there has been animals.
I'd be awfully afraid of the pink beaver if I was you as them suckers can get right mean.
I grew up in South Florida where you don't see many fur coats. I used to hunt deer and birds in Michigan when I was married to my first wife, now I do the local hog hunt.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Merry christmas everybody. As soon as this mornings festivities are over its out to the shed, 5 yotes and 6 coon to skin. What a way to spent the holiday. Joints rolled and beer on ice, for refreshment.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I did get a new cd player for the shed.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Pitw,
Looks like that last critter had a little accident. Was it outside in lead or copper poisoning?
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Pitw,
Looks like that last critter had a little accident. Was it outside in lead or copper poisoning?
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Merry Christmas to you as well sir.
That coyote had the misfortune of winning me $250 on a bet. I was at a gathering and a young upstart trapper said he could catch more coyotes than me, so I made a bet he couldn't with the rules being we couldn't set our one snare within 3 miles of a bait site. Another fellow there said he had just the spot for us to try and I wandered through the bush to find this trail that caught the coyote within 24 hours. The F'n magpies had found him early that morning and chewed a hole over the shoulders. Give the kid credit as he paid his wager but still thinks he's the best since the big bang. Coyotes at bait sites are easy but figuring where they may go in the bush is a little more fun.
Sure don't envy you skinning on Christmas day but I've done it.

Bushpilot

Silver Member
Silver Miner
It amazes me how fast magpies and crows find carion, I shot my deer, field dressed and went back to my stand 150yds away, no sooner than sat down and a magpie is already on the carcass. Thought I was going to have to puff him with my 7mm Mauser to protect my venison.

When I take my fish guts down to the shoreline to dump, there is not a bird to be seen anywhere and I get back up to the house 80 yards away and the crows will be on the pile. But, the Osprey usually shows up shortly after and wups a little crow ass! Fun to watch.

BP

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
How goes it? Im heavy on the dry skinned fleshed stretched hides, and could use some gas $$$. cat line is out, just today, lots of sign, its just a matter of time.

It seems the prime yotes are gonna be worth a bit more this yr. Im glad ive collected a pile. We'll call em Trump yotes, and get a bigger check than last yr. I hear the russian market is waking up, and showing some interest, giving canada goose a run for their $$, ski jacket collars be damned. Was told id get $20 usd more this year apiece for my well handled hides. I recon ill avg 90 and pits heavy pales will do 150 usd.

I will be up to the Colorado sale at Hugo, Colorado next month, its the biggest yote sale in the US, it ought to set the trend here s of the border. If the markets hold I can see doing 3-500 yotes next year, skint and finished. Meant to be 2k hides from 14 states and Canada, and lots of buyers w contracts for heavy coyotes.

furflyer.jpg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It would be interesting to see their prices compared to NAFA's.
Have done near 300 in the past but ain't up to it anymore, good luck.
Our local fur buyer took such a bath last year he is gonna do way less this year, I only used him to get rid of stuff I didn't want in the NAFA auction under my name.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I hear you pit, 300 is a tall order, might as well do em before I cant. I have to get both shoulders redone after the season, looks like a skinning machine might do the trick, we are pulling em by hand now.

I will post up sale results as we get them, on feb 9.

I got a country buyer to dump my junk on too www.petskafur.net , Ord Nebraska. My shit yotes will sell right beside my good ones, w/o my name on em, in someone elses lot.

This is an exciting time of year.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Thats about the last 30 or so weve handled, they are about to lose their prime. Ive got a few rubs in the freezer, I think were done 1/20 or so.

Last edited:

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well if you did the 300 and they were all top lot, then you made about $1.13 an hour.

That is a nice price for a coyote.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Last yote skinned before dinner. I got all the hides out of the freezer. Its wash, scrape and stretch time. I dont have to smell another coyote for almost a year, and im good with that. Phase 2, gotta sell the damn things. The market is looking better than last yr, thank goodness.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
They are on the stretchers boys! All thats left is to brush em out and fluff em with the compressor the day before the sale.

BOO-YA!

Another season in the books.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
You ever use your compressor to help skin? I've tried it and on fresh ones it really does blow em up like balloons.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
You ever use your compressor to help skin? I've tried it and on fresh ones it really does blow em up like balloons.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Ive heard about doing it that way, but everyone ive asked said it wont work. I also asked about fleshing w a power washer, everyone said it wont work, and then I found out petska fur fleshes w a power washer.......hehehe

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I thuoght id post up the sale summary from the 2018 Colorado trappers sale, for those of you that are interested. We did very well..........

full-16013-404822-scan.jpg