• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Any Trappers Here?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I know a guy who has caught over 2k bobcats in live traps.
I can't imagine. How many traps do he run at a time? Do you see them cats often just out roaming? I had to make a hundred mile drive yesterday to pick up the grandboy and on the way home a huge[I'm betting 45 lb] beautiful coyote walked across the highway and stopped on the shoulder to let me look at him. Funny how them bastids can tell when a person don't got a gun.LOL

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Coyotes wont go into live traps. I know a guy who has caught over 2k bobcats in live traps. he has caught 2 yotes in that time. You need a trail cam to see what you need to start killing.
I like the leg holds but now I have to go get new ones and am tapped out so I am going to have to improvise. I'll figure this out even if I have to use just the one leg hold left for starters.....you know I feel very, very poor now; trap poor when I used to be dog rich but still poor financially.

Now the only way I know how to do things, meaning the easiest, is this Trigg-Walker/RedBone cross that is on the bed chasing fleas right now. Yep, she is better than a trail cam, I'm going to put her on a lead and see what her nose tells me.

Gheesshit could I just be dense sometimes....I have a dog and forgot about her as she is...*slaps forhead with hand*

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
You tether the chickens?
Not me the guy who owns them and it is just the roosters, has something to do with the tail feathers getting busted or muddy in the cages. He has had them here getting on two years and this is the first kill other that the rats and the kestrels getting the chicks. I mean those disappear like pop corn thrown to a bunch of hens.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Cocks / Roosters will fight over dominance. Hence the creation and banning in most countries of Cock Fighting.
It is still legal to raise Cocks. They usually get bought and shipped to South America and S.E.Asia.

Anytime you see a bunch of small doghouses with a tether on post they are raising Cock/ Roosters. There is a group that grades the birds and their plumage I think as a side show. Most end up fighting somewhere.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Cocks / Roosters will fight over dominance. Hence the creation and banning in most countries of Cock Fighting.
It is still legal to raise Cocks. They usually get bought and shipped to South America and S.E.Asia.

Anytime you see a bunch of small doghouses with a tether on post they are raising Cock/ Roosters. There is a group that grades the birds and their plumage I think as a side show. Most end up fighting somewhere.
Used to see "Game Birds" - fighting cocks, tethered out in many places here in southern Ohio.

Wasn't mine.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Used to see "Game Birds" - fighting cocks, tethered out in many places here in southern Ohio.

Wasn't mine.
That's where I've seen them the first time London, OH. area first. I use to them here in KY in the 80s, but none lately. Maybe they got outlawed.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Is. been drinking I see. IDK what to do about virtual hiccups?

Yeah when I got home and stepped out of the exploder he was trying to lite in the oak and he veered off. So I was counting chickens and he came back and when I looked up he did the same. At first he was all lethargic but now he is energized. I guess chicken dinners do that to ya or at least to hawks. By the time I get an iron in my hands he is 400 feet away and I would risk it but not if he is going to fall onto the highway or someone's house/yard.

I put the PC on the hood and cruised the nets till the sun set.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
You know as per my last post above I just had a brain fart. See here we are supposed to tag our legholds/traps and I thunk the thought that what if the future peeps had to GPS the whole line and report that info?

The implications are scary.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
If we had to gps a line, I'd think most would quit cause everyone would be out there where good trappers work after they got the info.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
We had .8 rain then 4" snow a few days ago. I got over to Ks today to rework my line. Every fucking trap was froze down, had to chisel out and rebed them all. I used screened powdered cow/horse shit, it works real well for this purpose, but takes alot, I used 10 gallons today. Also made some trips thru some tall crp and set sennekers in my wheel tracks, ought to have a wack in the morning.

My freezers are full again. I have to empty one tonite, and put up fur tomorrow as well. Also have 8 yotes behind a barn in a neighboring town, they are froze hard as a rock, they can sit awhile.

Also caught a local outlaw running my cat line this morning. We had a 'talk', I dont think he will be back. If he does come back, I will beat the shit out of him.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I like the leg holds but now I have to go get new ones and am tapped out so I am going to have to improvise. I'll figure this out even if I have to use just the one leg hold left for starters.....you know I feel very, very poor now; trap poor when I used to be dog rich but still poor financially.

Now the only way I know how to do things, meaning the easiest, is this Trigg-Walker/RedBone cross that is on the bed chasing fleas right now. Yep, she is better than a trail cam, I'm going to put her on a lead and see what her nose tells me.

Gheesshit could I just be dense sometimes....I have a dog and forgot about her as she is...*slaps forhead with hand*
Smarter, not harder.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
We had .8 rain then 4" snow a few days ago. I got over to Ks today to rework my line. Every fucking trap was froze down, had to chisel out and rebed them all. I used screened powdered cow/horse shit, it works real well for this purpose, but takes alot, I used 10 gallons today. Also made some trips thru some tall crp and set sennekers in my wheel tracks, ought to have a wack in the morning.

My freezers are full again. I have to empty one tonite, and put up fur tomorrow as well. Also have 8 yotes behind a barn in a neighboring town, they are froze hard as a rock, they can sit awhile.

Also caught a local outlaw running my cat line this morning. We had a 'talk', I dont think he will be back. If he does come back, I will beat the shit out of him.
What's the powdered manure for?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
1546113009602.png

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The ground is frozen solid. The traps are in a trap shaped hole about 1.5" deep, top of trap just below ground level. They are covered with the dry screened manure, so the traps wont freeze to the ground and not work. I usually use dirt from the hole, but its wet, and will freeze/thaw and freeze the trap down.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The ground is frozen solid. The traps are in a trap shaped hole about 1.5" deep, top of trap just below ground level. They are covered with the dry screened manure, so the traps wont freeze to the ground and not work. I usually use dirt from the hole, but its wet, and will freeze/thaw and freeze the trap down.
Roger. Would peat moss be a decent item to use too since it is compact and light?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
My bet it is to hide human scent.
I use a kneeling pad and a set of gloves dedicated to setting traps for odor control. After a few catches in a trap it doesnt matter though. All you can smell in the burn circle is coyote.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Roger. Would peat moss be a decent item to use too since it is compact and light?
Peat moss is used by some, but I go with powdered shit from in a calf/horse barn, its free and works just as well. peat is also darker colored, so the set must be blended alot more.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I can't imagine. How many traps do he run at a time? Do you see them cats often just out roaming? I had to make a hundred mile drive yesterday to pick up the grandboy and on the way home a huge[I'm betting 45 lb] beautiful coyote walked across the highway and stopped on the shoulder to let me look at him. Funny how them bastids can tell when a person don't got a gun.LOL
I think he runs about 60 cage traps. he used to trap in SE california, but when trapping was banned there he moved to Az.

No we dont see cats out roaming, we look for sign and set on it. They are alot smarter than a yote. for instance, when a yote gets hungry theyll eat anything. When a cat gets hungry it goes and finds something to kill and eat.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Here is a bit of good news for those who have stretched and dried coyote hides. it seems, with the wet weather in the US primarily east of central kansas, the coyote harvest is down substantially. Some are estimating only 60% of an avg winter harvest of yotes will be brought to market. Prices are estimated to be as much as 25% higher than last year.

I sure fucking hope so.

:meditation:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
What up boys, got some warm (relatively) weather on the way. Time to go get them froze yotes from behind everybody's barn. I got these fuckers trained finally. They are laying the yotes on cardboard instead of the ground, so we dont lose guard hairs.

30 blocks of song dog ice in the trailer, well give em a day er so and tear em down.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I thought I broke my wrist skinning, turns out it was just dislocated. I got 2 xrays and an adjustment at the local vet clinic, cost me 75 frn. let that soak in a bit.

Vet as in pet dr, not the veterans administration. good as new except for an achy forearm from overcompensation. You didnt think wed stoped did you, well if you did, you dont know me.

He does our bangs (brucellosis) vac when we work cattle, hes good enough for me.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I thought I broke my wrist skinning, turns out it was just dislocated. I got 2 xrays and an adjustment at the local vet clinic, cost me 75 frn. let that soak in a bit.

Vet as in pet dr, not the veterans administration. good as new except for an achy forearm from overcompensation. You didnt think wed stoped did you, well if you did, you dont know me.

He does our bangs (brucellosis) vac when we work cattle, hes good enough for me.
We ALL are animals we are just more arrogant about it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I feel like I got my money's worth. I got 2-3 weeks of work to go, then the hides break and well quit bigtime skinning. I have done a dozen a day for weeks, even w fucked hand, it takes alot longer, and more beer.

Im geting close to 300 hides.

At any rate im shipping a whack to Idaho trappers Assoc early fur sale, let it rip.

furismoney2

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Do they still brew HAMM'S ??

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
If they didnt make hamms id shed a tear. Its all I can afford, and it does the job nicely.

15 frn a 30 pack, we buy em 3-4 at a time, as we live 20 miles from town.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I have a buddy who just sold 217 coyotes for $75 apiece skinned and stretched. It looks like the market is looking up!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I have a buddy who just sold 217 coyotes for $75 apiece skinned and stretched. It looks like the market is looking up!

Prices 2018-2019

KanOkla Fur Company is a licensed fur buyer, paying high fur prices. Hunters and Trappers receive top prices for wild fur such as bobcats, coyotes, coons, beavers, foxes, mink, and other furbearers.

Last Updated: December 20, 2018

Prices subject to change without notice.
Average prices are only approximations.

Check the Market Report for more info.

Fur size and quality (including time of year fur is caught, location caught, damaged, and the gender) will effect prices. Only properly handled fur will be purchased.

Updates will occur as needed throughout the fur season.

Coyote market is strong. The coon prices are very weak.

http://www.kanoklafurco.com/2012/04/prices-2012-2013.html

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
A buddies early yotes, from Saskatchewan, put up going to the early nafa sale. No he aint done, thats just the first round. these yotes are alot like pit's. theyll bring 150 frn apiece.

In my dreams my coyotes are that nice..........youll see when I post my barn pic, no even the same ballgame.

8GITTQu.png

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Ov we got some skinnners in here tonite. We will skin em all.

2har1g.jpg