• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Any Trappers Here?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
coyote market be like........there is lack of fur for the weather.

Just sold a string of 22 for 120 frn avg....... drive by, from a feller from indiana. the fur boys are prowling. Just rack run coyotes, give me 3 hamgers. If pit still skunt yotes hed be rich. Im just paying for my propane,.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
we scraped over some (big piles) of coyotes today. Big eye shine and here we go. Some scrapping in the yard, we got paid.

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Do the bullet holes need to be stitched closed to sell the pelt or do they reduce the offer for pelts with bullet holes ?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Do the bullet holes need to be stitched closed to sell the pelt or do they reduce the offer for pelts with bullet holes ?
I'll try and handle this a Coop can fix up anything I screw up[Backup isn't something I'm used to and I'm liking it].
When you stretch a hide the whole thing becomes tight and if there is a bullet hole[any fuck up holes] that spot won't have the tight drum look which means there will be a space where there is no fur. How many folk wanna run around with a holey jacket. The sewing insures the fur will be together along the length/width of the fur. You see dry buckskin doesn't stretch back to it's original shape well. A small entry hole doesn't require sewing but the ones where you have a one inch or much bigger require pulling the hide back together for drying. I've sewed up some holes that I thought were far to big only to get a fair price for my time. This is the reason we want fur friendly ammo for coyote hunting. Worst I saw was a 270 with a bronze tip that blew a freaking coyote into front end and rear end pieces, I mean completely cut in half. I did not try to salvage that hide for my buddy but we sure laughed about it.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Way I took it was IF I was going to use the pelts then I should close the holes....BUT these pelt purchasers are not accessing from me for their own use. These pelts go into or unto some one who is the "Devil wears Proda!"

NO shitting boys; they might be looking for bellies off of coons one day and tips of a fox's tail the same. Stich and sock.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
There is holes, then there is 'HOLES'. After youve sewn a few youll know if you can put it back together or not. It is a dicey game.

How much time you got? I can smoke a joint and sew all day, is it worth it, its a personal question.

Whip stitch anyone?

coyote alchemy

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Coyotes did poorly at the NAFA sale yesterday in Toronto. I am glad I sold before this happened. Maybe the coyote price/buying frenzy is over? If I had sold at NAFA I would have lost thousands of dollars. I wonder how many buyers who ship to NAFA lost their asses? Might be ([probably) fewer country buyers than last year.

Until the end of season, you never know if you marketed your fur correctly or not. it looks like I did great! The state sale prices blew eway the NAFA (international) market sale prices. There is a group of people who bought, then resold and lost the farm.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I got a dozen 110 conibears out today, at places rabbits are coming into my fenced back yard. I plan to plug the holes when it thaws, but figured id thin down the cottontail population a bit. Im going to put 3 dozen along the inside of the garden fence tomorrow I still havent gotten around to building the coni boxes, but plan to soon.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
It is skunk mating season man. Yea they will get in em. But I have tube traps for those guys. They are everywhere right now, mostly males.

http://www.ztraps.com/productdetail...12226&title=ztrap-no-6-skunk-n-more-live-trap

Catch em, put in a contractor bag, add an oz of chloroform, they just go to sleep, just dump em out in 45 min or so. Glands are 20 frn an oz, essence is 20 frn an oz. Skull 3 frn, and some weird chic I know from livermore will buy the feet and get the claws off for necklaces. Skin in season, 15 frn. They pay as much as an avg coyote if you do the work. the rendered fat is worth $$ too. Makes a great lure base.

A frugal man can make a meager living trapping and processing skunks.

A gallon of chloroform is 65 bucks. Thats 128 skunks (oz) right there, no spray.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
That’s some interesting information on skunks.
I did not know that.

But then again I am not a trapper , just a retired worn out cement finisher.

A lot of prairie dogs around here as you know.......I don’t suppose there is any money in those...

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
There is a couple of ways to make $$ on prairie dogs. Get paid to exterminate them with poison, or if they are on your land, rent the hunting rights to some dumbfuck from the city, so he can come shoot em. I wouldnt handle em, they carry the plague, and have fleas, which carry the plague, as its a flea born disease.

My grandpa used to go collect dead prairie dogs in plague infected towns, and show em down the holes of healthy towns. Worked very well if I recall. Wiped em out, but not recommended.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It is skunk mating season man. Yea they will get in em. But I have tube traps for those guys. They are everywhere right now, mostly males.

http://www.ztraps.com/productdetail...12226&title=ztrap-no-6-skunk-n-more-live-trap

Catch em, put in a contractor bag, add an oz of chloroform, they just go to sleep, just dump em out in 45 min or so. Glands are 20 frn an oz, essence is 20 frn an oz. Skull 3 frn, and some weird chic I know from livermore will buy the feet and get the claws off for necklaces. Skin in season, 15 frn. They pay as much as an avg coyote if you do the work. the rendered fat is worth $$ too. Makes a great lure base.

A frugal man can make a meager living trapping and processing skunks.

A gallon of chloroform is 65 bucks. Thats 128 skunks (oz) right there, no spray.
Nice so a little Eau De Skunk sprayed on some mexican bagseed and presto chango you have top shelf RKS. :dduck::rotf:

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Just ran my line. 3 rabbits with a dozen 110 conibears. That is a 25% catch rate not too bad. All my sets were trail (blind) sets with no bait. When I run the line today before dark ill put apple slices on half the trap triggers, and salt em down good. Rumor has it rabbits are attracted to salt. I hope to build some coni boxes in the next few days and put the hurt on em.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Just stole this off another thread. Thought it would be very appropriate here:
1553198752584.png
This gives you a lay-out for Bovine, Buffalo,Deer, Elk, Moose, Caribou. Don't know how Musk Ox would taste so proceed at your own risk.
Probably work on Bear too. IDK
ENJOY!!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The people who make them charts must be better at cutting than me as mine never look exactly like that or any of the other charts I've looked at. They are good for reference though. Two hogs hopefully die on Saturday if my helpers show up. Not as big as we usually do them but meat they will make. Funny part is my youngest wants one cause he says he can't get good food and he even worked in a butch shoppe for a bit.LOL

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The people who make them charts must be better at cutting than me as mine never look exactly like that or any of the other charts I've looked at. They are good for reference though. Two hogs hopefully die on Saturday if my helpers show up. Not as big as we usually do them but meat they will make. Funny part is my youngest wants one cause he says he can't get good food and he even worked in a butch shoppe for a bit.LOL
1st you need a band saw with a bone blade and two or three SHARP knives - Long slicer /Breaker knife, and a medium length and skinny blade boning knives.
WARNING: Drawings will always look better than the actual physical sections / pieces.
(Notice no blood or grease stains anywhere in the drawing(s). ;)

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
is mighty fine, sorry scorp.
Scorp is a Polar Bear. I think most only eat Black Bear, again ID REALLY K that. It is just a WAG on my part.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Scorp is a Polar Bear. I think most only eat Black Bear, again ID REALLY K that. It is just a WAG on my part.
the smoes dig a hole and shoot the bear in the eye(somewhere) with a .22 [so I have read] and presto-change-oh it is off to the races.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Coop, buddy just called saying he found an otter in the ditch. Never have I seen one within 150 miles of my place. Just thought I'd let you know as I'm excited.LOL
Skin it. I just lv skinning road kill, most times it is just the tail.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Last evening I went up to the "crick", a place I've spent many hours/days/months chasing different critters. It's a marsh about 1/4 mile wide by 3 miles long. I was just parked on a gravel road that goes through it. The geese are back and I saw at least 17 nesting pairs on rat houses. And rats, frick for rats, I saw at least 30 in the little bit I could see as there are cat tails throughout. A fella with a kayak could shoot I'm betting 200+ in an evening easy. As a younger version of myself I used to trap up there and did it all in chest waders. Damb if them things were worth the money we got for them 45 years ago I'd probably try again.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
$3-6 was a good price for rats this year. Most guys that trap em now just do it for fun. the serious rat guys catch several thousand a year. On a happier note, they are pretty easy to skin and flesh...........:tongue: ..........and I hear they arent half bad eating.