• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Any Trappers Here?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
pit, Are you talking muskrats or real city-slicker gray/Norwegian rats ?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I always thought of muskrats as gas money for the little bit I had a chance to trap. Payday was a mink or redfox.

Now, all I'd probably catch would be my cat, damn cat follows me everywhere. Wonder sometimes how he finds is way home.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I always thought of muskrats as gas money for the little bit I had a chance to trap. Payday was a mink or redfox.

Now, all I'd probably catch would be my cat, damn cat follows me everywhere. Wonder sometimes how he finds is way home.
Dan this made me laugh cause last eve I set a #0 longspring for a skunk and be dambed if I didn't catch sylvester. I dislike the cat but now like this little long spring cause it held him. Usually the little traps allow cats to pull out but it had a great two toe hold.LOL Sylvester now appears to hate me more than ever which won't make his life any longer.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
last eve I set a #0 longspring for a skunk and be dambed if I didn't catch sylvester
Around the place I'll use live traps, catch possum, raccoon, occasional skunk but usually not any cats. I use those large marshmallows kids like to burn on a stick. Cats do not usually care about them, but the wild critters that like to get in the garden seem to like them.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I use a cage trap as well but it don't feel the same as using a leghold like Kit Carson:shit happens:. Just saw vester sneaking up on a bird feeder and he ain't limping so all is cool. Except we still have a skunk to get rid of before I gotta get rid of 3-12 more.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I met a guy from Indiana who traps coyotes just across the state line in kansas, thru another guy I know. I have been chatting with him for 6 months or so now on the phone. I mentioned I thought about trapping kansas next year as well, and he went ballistic, called me a mutherfucker, etc. Accused me of trying to steal his ground. He traps some of my family's neighbors land, and thought id be stealing his ground. I told him I didnt have to, we have enough ground over there. It turns out he had permission to trap my uncles place and several family friends............had.

I looks forward to catching 'his' coyotes this upcoming season, I ll try to get right next to him so I can wave to him over the fence. I am going to a trapping school at the end of the month, his partner is supposed to be there, that ought to be interesting. I was gonna let it go, now im not.

Looks like a month in kansas is in order, then back here to do some permitted predator control trapping to finish out the season.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I met a guy from Indiana who traps coyotes just across the state line in kansas, thru another guy I know. I have been chatting with him for 6 months or so now on the phone. I mentioned I thought about trapping kansas next year as well, and he went ballistic, called me a mutherfucker, etc. Accused me of trying to steal his ground. He traps some of my family's neighbors land, and thought id be stealing his ground. I told him I didnt have to, we have enough ground over there. It turns out he had permission to trap my uncles place and several family friends............had.

I looks forward to catching 'his' coyotes this upcoming season, I ll try to get right next to him so I can wave to him over the fence. I am going to a trapping school at the end of the month, his partner is supposed to be there, that ought to be interesting. I was gonna let it go, now im not.

Looks like a month in kansas is in order, then back here to do some permitted predator control trapping to finish out the season.

Remember to keep your nose clean. Had a fellow come in my area from way out and he was good but didn't like following the rules close. Cost him 13 charges for trapping where he didn't have permission and he was pissed. His license plate number was JHS 871 and the local CO laughed at my way of remembering it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Yea ill follow the kansas rules, get a license, etc. All my gear is kansas compliant. Ill have my permissions lined out soon. Its only about 40 miles from my house. The wife and kid can come down and stay with me when they like at my grandparents place, and haul pelts back home to put in the freezer. I know everyone down there, grew up in the area.

I was going to let it go, but I dont like being called a mutherfucker. Im gonna let him drive out here from Indiana, so he can watch we trap 'his' coyotes. Itll give the yotes in my area time to prime up as well, ill go to kansas first of Nov before it gets too shitty. I will be trapping for money here later (dec 1 to end of feb), by the head, and get to keep whatever I skin.

My goal is 250 song dogs. I will start working out shortly, so I dont go down in the skinning shed. I need more gear as well, will be buying as time and money allows.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Are you allowed to snare? What do you boil your traps in? You know I'm rooting for ya ta get the 250 plus a few. There ain't nothing like pulling up to a gang set and seeing 4 coyotes that can't run away.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Yes you can snare in kansas, and ill have access to dead cows, from both a dairy and a feedlot. There are dead holes at both locations as well, and yuuge silage piles that are crawling with coons.................:2 thumbs up:

I boil my traps in purple power cleaner from walmart, cut with water to cover. let cool, the wax and grease solidify on top. then I rinse the traps well, then dye and wax. The wax makes em superfast, like lightening. The dye prevents rust.

I will use footholds, conibears, snares, cage traps, skunk tubes, and dogproofs. Ill have a quad on a 12' trailer. I plan to run a multispecies line. Coons, swift foxes, reds, and skunks will pay for the gas. The coyotes and bobcats are the gravy.

:truck2:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

f'n pricks.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes you can snare in kansas, and ill have access to dead cows, from both a dairy and a feedlot. There are dead holes at both locations as well, and yuuge silage piles that are crawling with coons.................:2 thumbs up:

I boil my traps in purple power cleaner from walmart, cut with water to cover. let cool, the wax and grease solidify on top. then I rinse the traps well, then dye and wax. The wax makes em superfast, like lightening. The dye prevents rust.

I will use footholds, conibears, snares, cage traps, skunk tubes, and dogproofs. Ill have a quad on a 12' trailer. I plan to run a multispecies line. Coons, swift foxes, reds, and skunks will pay for the gas. The coyotes and bobcats are the gravy.

:truck2:
deud. thanks for fessing up on the coons......

had a hen grabbed last night and I for got to bring home the leg holds.....ffuucckk, been drinking beer and have to go get the leg holds.....SHIT!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This thing would make a good backing for a coyote trap except some prick would steal it. Lad picked it up on our pasture 1/4 yesterday and says he saw 3 elk on the way out to the farm this morning.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Here, its time to start getting ready for the fur season. There is alot involved in making everything go how it needs to go to make trapping profitable. From scouting, getting land permissions, dealing with asshole people, to tuning traps and gathering gear. We want to be able to bust out of the gate the first day and lay steel til its all in the ground. A trap in the back of my truck means im not getting it done, and its doing me no good, because its not set waiting for a critter.

I have been making waxed sand lately, so I can keep my gear running when it gets cold and we have freeze/thaw cycles. the waxed sand keeps the traps from freezing down to the ground when its wet, and lets me run thru cold/thaw weather, if I keep the snow off the set. Keeping the snow off down to dirt when its cold is a visual attractant all by itself. I recon ill need a hundred gallons of wax sand, put up in 5 gallon buckets ready to go. We had a wetter than normal winter last year, and a few times it shut me down. Not anymore......

I just bought a 2003 s-10 single cab pickup for 1800 frn. Its got 150000 miles on it. It has the smallest 4 cylinder, and a manual transmission. I have a buddy who owns a salvage yard, he got me another transmission, and an engine. I will rebuild the engine, then give the tranny to another friend of mine to rebuild. Spare parts are nice to have. The thing gets 35 miles to the gallon, and will be a good rig to use to check the lines, once they are laid. There is no a/c. but the heater works great! I loaded my 4 wheeler on its trailer, and it pulled around with that little pickup just fine. The quad is new, ive put about 200 miles on it in the last month, for a guy who is used to walking its been a dream.

My piles of traps for fuck sake what can I say, ive got to tune em all, modify some, redo a bunch of chain rigs. Its quite a sight. Some are dyed, some are dyed and waxed, some are just bare metal. They all have to be worked on, then cleaned and then waxed and dyed for the field. The key is to get them all to the same degree of cleanliness, then run em thru the process. I went and bought a bunch of old victor longsprings as well, to make an old school type line, kind of like guys used to do in the 60-70's. I dont know why I did it, it sounded good at the time. They all need base plated, new chain rigs with shocksprings, and offset and rubber the jaws. It ought to be quite a sight when they go in the ground, like grandpa jones. Those old victors will be twice the trap they were when they were new. They are rusty now, and ive been fucking with em. They are suprisingly fast. I cant wait to get em dyed then waxed, ill tune em again. its like playing with a snake, when they are fresh, you might end up wearing one or 3 til the shine wears off.

Dealing with people..............Oh My Fucking God Man!

To get ground, besides my own, I have to go talk to people who have cattle. That is where coyotes live, right in the cattle. So anyway, you have to go talk to people and get your permission to trap around their cattle, so as to get w the game warden and get this animal damage control permit. The permit is free, but its quite a pain in the ass. There are special rules (its the NEW Colorado now), and if I could be more liberal with my coyote genocide techniques id be much more successful.

And then theres Kansas. We are trapping 2 states you see. an out of state kansas trapping license sucks to get. You have to pass an online trapping course, then pay 252.50 for an out of state trapping license. Thats no shit, its expensive but..........the shit you can do in kansas to kill fur is alot more lax. I can run snares in kansas, and conibears, on land, up the the size of a 220. (8 x 8"). I can run dog proof coon traps. It is still allowed in kansa to run a true mixed fur line (coyote, coon, bobcat) like a human ought to be able to do. I have land in kansas, but im an out of stater because I do not reside in the state. For fuck sake taxes are alot higher in kansas, I guess ill come get some fur then.

Kansas game wardens are alot more relaxed than the colorado asshats. Those colorado guys like to treat you like a criminal, trying to always fuck you over and 'bust' you. The kansas guys tell you where they saw a bobcat, and make sure you have their cell # in case you get stuck or your truck fucks up and you need a tow. I have a friend near St Francis Kansas who is a game warden, and last year he caught 400 coyotes. They are a decent bunch of guys. You can hang your hat on em. its just 12 miles to the border but it paradoxical, more freedom, and much higher taxes. The roads in sw kansas are top notch, and you paid for em if you live there. sometimes I think it might be worth it just so you dont have to drive in mud all the fucking time. I hate mud.

I will probably buy a hundred or so shot coyotes this year too. Thats a whole different crowd of folk, but they are generally pretty jovial, and you can buy their coyotes, tell em some trapping stories, and drink their better than my beer, beer. I am setting up a deal at my buddy's liquor store, where I stop for an hour after lunch on saturday, and all the shooters bring in their fur. My liquor store buddy likes the idea of drunken hunters getting paid cash for shot coyotes in his parking lot, he thinks it might be good for business. I am willing to see how many coyotes I can skin in a day. I joke with the wife I ought to get on meth, she doesnt think its funny at all.

It ought to be quite a scene, ill be curious to see how it plays out.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
It takes all Summer to get ready for Fall and Winter Trapping Season? WOW!!
I enjoy this thread. I hope you, PIT. and others have a profitable season ahead of you.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
They are rusty now, and ive been fucking with em.
Get a tub and throw the traps in it whole and cover them with vinegar and let soak. how long? just reach in and pull one out and either wipe or blow the crud off with air and oil with DD40 so they do not rust again. Or you can witches cauldron and boil them and then immediately hang as the heat of boiling water and the heat of the spring steal will dissipate the water and they will dry without rusting. remember open boiling water can only reach a temp of 212 degrees which is way below the heat needed to take the temper out of the steal.

Oh and do not let the traps sit against the bottom of the boiling pot as they will pick up the heat transference so there needs to be a stand or grate that keeps them elevated and in the boiling water and not touching the pot.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Get a tub and throw the traps in it whole and cover them with vinegar and let soak. ......
A light coat of rust on the traps always helped them to take the dye better.
Have not trapped in many years, well except for live traps for varmints.
Mostly it was water trapping. Hint, never wax a conibear trap.
Fox trapped a few land sets, caught mostly all the possums first, then maybe a few coon and finally the fox. Learned a little about how not to do stuff, but still got skunked by a few of those. Skunks that is.
When coyotes moved into the area, Ohio, it changed everything about how we had to prepare our traps and even had to change a bunch of our methods.
Then a lot of folks started getting liberal and we ended up with very little places to get permission to trap.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I was talking to a buddy today. He told me he puts traps in a cement mixer, adds a bucket of sand, then tumbles til shiny, then dyes and waxes them. it sounds like the easiest way to clean up several hundred to me.

There is no fucking way im spraying wd 40 on my traps. Ill just wax and dye them once they are cleaned. For canine trapping odor control is key, wd 40 has fish oil in it, coyotes would find your trap (or a coon) and dig up your set. No thanks........

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Coop, what do ya use for stakes? Cable or rod? I wish I could do it all again but them days are done for me. I'll set a few easy to do ones this fall but I ain't no how no way fricking with frozen ground no more. Interesting that you can use long springs yet as we lost them years ago. I enjoy using them too. In fact I bought 3 #4's a couple weeks back and one I can't identify yet[no pan on it but she was a horse of a trap.

DSCF1935.JPG

#4 behind it for comparison and ya gotta love the mod.

DSCF1936.JPG

Hoping ya catch 500 and stink like a bear den when your done.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
The smaller trap looks like a newhouse, that bigger one, dunno. yes ive seen some weird stuff added to traps, that looks like it was added to beef up a weak spring maybe? It kind of looks like a #5 bridger with 1 spring missing. the smaller one is older, it looks like it has cast jaws.

I anchor with chained super stakes, whoever invented these things needs a friggin award. They will hold a mountain lion, dont ask me how I know..........that was a heck of a rodeo. https://www.minntrapprod.com/MB-Chain-Stakes-Original-Per-Dozen/productinfo/CSORIG-12/

:dancing guy

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well I was at a garage sale and found a Triumph #1 longspring. Ain't never seen anything like this one either[I'm really beginning to believe I know nothing about traps] as it has an S hook on the main frame between the pan and the one jaw support. It also has the one jaw support as an add on with side pieces with a hole in them, this piece will not allow the spring to lay flat and I have no idea what the hell it was for. DSCF1938.JPG DSCF1940.JPG DSCF1941.JPG

Notice the pan is offset to one end too. What the [L]?

Attachments

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I've seen a lot of traps ....... but, never one like that!
Layout doesn't make sense.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've seen a lot of traps ....... but, never one like that!
Layout doesn't make sense.
Sure doesn't. I've been playing with it for a few days and can not figure out why it would be built this way.
Maybe I found a prototype and they couldn't figure out what they built either.LOL

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I wonder if the tabs with holes on both sides of the long spring might be for a safety pin to prevent the trap springing until you are ready.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I wonder if the tabs with holes on both sides of the long spring might be for a safety pin to prevent the trap springing until you are ready.
I tried that and the holes were not high enough.
I'm thinking stop loss now[but that don't make it so].

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Found a note on trapperman.com stating that Triumph folded in 1936 and that after that some traps were assembled with leftover parts.
This might explain your weird find.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Then maybe I should post it over on Tman.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I wouldnt give a fuck for trapperman, most of them guys never set a line in their lives.