• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Any Trappers Here?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
pit, Are you talking muskrats or real city-slicker gray/Norwegian rats ?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I always thought of muskrats as gas money for the little bit I had a chance to trap. Payday was a mink or redfox.

Now, all I'd probably catch would be my cat, damn cat follows me everywhere. Wonder sometimes how he finds is way home.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I always thought of muskrats as gas money for the little bit I had a chance to trap. Payday was a mink or redfox.

Now, all I'd probably catch would be my cat, damn cat follows me everywhere. Wonder sometimes how he finds is way home.
Dan this made me laugh cause last eve I set a #0 longspring for a skunk and be dambed if I didn't catch sylvester. I dislike the cat but now like this little long spring cause it held him. Usually the little traps allow cats to pull out but it had a great two toe hold.LOL Sylvester now appears to hate me more than ever which won't make his life any longer.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
last eve I set a #0 longspring for a skunk and be dambed if I didn't catch sylvester
Around the place I'll use live traps, catch possum, raccoon, occasional skunk but usually not any cats. I use those large marshmallows kids like to burn on a stick. Cats do not usually care about them, but the wild critters that like to get in the garden seem to like them.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I use a cage trap as well but it don't feel the same as using a leghold like Kit Carson:shit happens:. Just saw vester sneaking up on a bird feeder and he ain't limping so all is cool. Except we still have a skunk to get rid of before I gotta get rid of 3-12 more.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I met a guy from Indiana who traps coyotes just across the state line in kansas, thru another guy I know. I have been chatting with him for 6 months or so now on the phone. I mentioned I thought about trapping kansas next year as well, and he went ballistic, called me a mutherfucker, etc. Accused me of trying to steal his ground. He traps some of my family's neighbors land, and thought id be stealing his ground. I told him I didnt have to, we have enough ground over there. It turns out he had permission to trap my uncles place and several family friends............had.

I looks forward to catching 'his' coyotes this upcoming season, I ll try to get right next to him so I can wave to him over the fence. I am going to a trapping school at the end of the month, his partner is supposed to be there, that ought to be interesting. I was gonna let it go, now im not.

Looks like a month in kansas is in order, then back here to do some permitted predator control trapping to finish out the season.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I met a guy from Indiana who traps coyotes just across the state line in kansas, thru another guy I know. I have been chatting with him for 6 months or so now on the phone. I mentioned I thought about trapping kansas next year as well, and he went ballistic, called me a mutherfucker, etc. Accused me of trying to steal his ground. He traps some of my family's neighbors land, and thought id be stealing his ground. I told him I didnt have to, we have enough ground over there. It turns out he had permission to trap my uncles place and several family friends............had.

I looks forward to catching 'his' coyotes this upcoming season, I ll try to get right next to him so I can wave to him over the fence. I am going to a trapping school at the end of the month, his partner is supposed to be there, that ought to be interesting. I was gonna let it go, now im not.

Looks like a month in kansas is in order, then back here to do some permitted predator control trapping to finish out the season.

Remember to keep your nose clean. Had a fellow come in my area from way out and he was good but didn't like following the rules close. Cost him 13 charges for trapping where he didn't have permission and he was pissed. His license plate number was JHS 871 and the local CO laughed at my way of remembering it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Yea ill follow the kansas rules, get a license, etc. All my gear is kansas compliant. Ill have my permissions lined out soon. Its only about 40 miles from my house. The wife and kid can come down and stay with me when they like at my grandparents place, and haul pelts back home to put in the freezer. I know everyone down there, grew up in the area.

I was going to let it go, but I dont like being called a mutherfucker. Im gonna let him drive out here from Indiana, so he can watch we trap 'his' coyotes. Itll give the yotes in my area time to prime up as well, ill go to kansas first of Nov before it gets too shitty. I will be trapping for money here later (dec 1 to end of feb), by the head, and get to keep whatever I skin.

My goal is 250 song dogs. I will start working out shortly, so I dont go down in the skinning shed. I need more gear as well, will be buying as time and money allows.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Are you allowed to snare? What do you boil your traps in? You know I'm rooting for ya ta get the 250 plus a few. There ain't nothing like pulling up to a gang set and seeing 4 coyotes that can't run away.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Yes you can snare in kansas, and ill have access to dead cows, from both a dairy and a feedlot. There are dead holes at both locations as well, and yuuge silage piles that are crawling with coons.................:2 thumbs up:

I boil my traps in purple power cleaner from walmart, cut with water to cover. let cool, the wax and grease solidify on top. then I rinse the traps well, then dye and wax. The wax makes em superfast, like lightening. The dye prevents rust.

I will use footholds, conibears, snares, cage traps, skunk tubes, and dogproofs. Ill have a quad on a 12' trailer. I plan to run a multispecies line. Coons, swift foxes, reds, and skunks will pay for the gas. The coyotes and bobcats are the gravy.

:truck2:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

f'n pricks.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yes you can snare in kansas, and ill have access to dead cows, from both a dairy and a feedlot. There are dead holes at both locations as well, and yuuge silage piles that are crawling with coons.................:2 thumbs up:

I boil my traps in purple power cleaner from walmart, cut with water to cover. let cool, the wax and grease solidify on top. then I rinse the traps well, then dye and wax. The wax makes em superfast, like lightening. The dye prevents rust.

I will use footholds, conibears, snares, cage traps, skunk tubes, and dogproofs. Ill have a quad on a 12' trailer. I plan to run a multispecies line. Coons, swift foxes, reds, and skunks will pay for the gas. The coyotes and bobcats are the gravy.

:truck2:
deud. thanks for fessing up on the coons......

had a hen grabbed last night and I for got to bring home the leg holds.....ffuucckk, been drinking beer and have to go get the leg holds.....SHIT!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
This thing would make a good backing for a coyote trap except some prick would steal it. Lad picked it up on our pasture 1/4 yesterday and says he saw 3 elk on the way out to the farm this morning.