• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Any Trappers Here?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Fat boy finally stuck his head in right place:

View attachment 140330
Looks like a good groundhog to eat. IDK about fur condition this time of year. Still a skin. Gut that bad boy, start a pot of veggies with potatoes, brown that meat, throw meat, and grease into the pot and let in boil or crock pot it.
A good cheap stew meal, best in the Winter time. IMO

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Looks like a good groundhog to eat. IDK about fur condition this time of year. Still a skin. Gut that bad boy, start a pot of veggies with potatoes, brown that meat, throw meat, and grease into the pot and let in boil or crock pot it.
A good cheap stew meal, best in the Winter time. IMO

Tried that years ago & found it almost inedible.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Tried that years ago & found it almost inedible.

VH -- They are similar to wild hawgs in one way:

You don't eat the old boars. dung::hang:dung:

LATE EDIT ADD: The diet of a woodchuck is about the same as a rabbit. They are great to eat just the way rabbits are.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Free Meat. Try some other ways to cook it. Like Mexican and Asian foods spice it up if ya don't like it as a stew. I like it.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Free Meat. Try some other ways to cook it. Like Mexican and Asian foods spice it up if ya don't like it as a stew. I like it.

The price is right but I'm not that hungry.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The price is right but I'm not that hungry.

Wait ten hours.

GOLDIE: When VH waits between snacks for ten hours, then Unca comes in with a tray of Unca's Patented Chicken-Fried Groundhog... He'll drool.

Precis of the recipe: Cut up the crittur like you would a frying chickum. Finger-food pieces. Put in a pressure cooker up outa the water for a bit. Double-coat each piece with egg-panko crunchy.

Deep fry until brown.

Serve with salt, pepper, and a beer. It is unabashedly "gobble food". TINS

Varmint Hunter will always call you: "Master Po". :troll:

PS: Do rabbits the same way. And squirrels.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Wait ten hours.

GOLDIE: When VH waits between snacks for ten hours, then Unca comes in with a tray of Unca's Patented Chicken-Fried Groundhog... He'll drool.

Precis of the recipe: Cut up the crittur like you would a frying chickum. Finger-food pieces. Put in a pressure cooker up outa the water for a bit. Double-coat each piece with egg-panko crunchy.

Deep fry until brown.

Serve with salt, pepper, and a beer. It is unabashedly "gobble food". TINS

Varmint Hunter will always call you: "Master Po". :troll:

PS: Do rabbits the same way. And squirrels.

Sounds like it might be good this way but will definitely remember this recipe for after TSHTF!

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I wish we had em here, id give it a go.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I wish we had em here, id give it a go.

You are more than welcome to it. I think I could stuff it into a USPS large flat rate box & would pay the freight.
I'm sure it would be a lot more tender till it arrives at your place.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
If you were to gut and skin one, and freeze it, then send it along in an insulin cooler w dry ice, id melt it down in a jar in the sun for a month and let you know what the songdogs think about it.

Id have to clean it myself to eat it. Look at the liver, etc.

Is it the same thing as a marmot, ive shot piles of them in wyo, they are ground hog looking. They blow up like a giant prairie dog, w the 22-250 ackley, and 22 cheetah.

Last yr we shot alot near boysen reservior wyo where we went to call bobcats, just s of the wind river canyon.

:shit happens:

The other thing those sheep ranchers call em is, 'picketpins'.

WTF are them things man?

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Is it the same thing as a marmot,
Yes, one in the same. A groundhog is a marmot and a marmot is a groundhog. Aka "Whistle Pig" aka "Woodchuck:" ( How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ?)

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
In wyo you will seldom find em under 6000'. They are right up there in the big hills. badgers, coyote, bobcats, birds of prey and wolves live on em.

I never knew they were good to eat, we just lit em up. They blow up like a meat bomb. If you shoot infared they come out at nite too.

Shit you learn something everyday then, thatll work.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
If you were to gut and skin one, and freeze it, then send it along in an insulin cooler w dry ice, id melt it down in a jar in the sun for a month and let you know what the songdogs think about it.

Id have to clean it myself to eat it. Look at the liver, etc.

Is it the same thing as a marmot, ive shot piles of them in wyo, they are ground hog looking. They blow up like a giant prairie dog, w the 22-250 ackley, and 22 cheetah.

Last yr we shot alot near boysen reservior wyo where we went to call bobcats, just s of the wind river canyon.

:shit happens:

The other thing those sheep ranchers call em is, 'picketpins'.

WTF are them things man?

Sorry, too late for this one since
the local vulture clan already finished it up.

Coop, I'm assuming that if you find a good liver that the meat will be of better quality for eating.
What does one look for & what are the tell tale signs?

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
You asked Coop. but I'm gonna butt in. One of my first jobs after leaving the family business was working in a abattoir, a fancy name for a slaughterhouse. ( Neighbors don't get alarmed by the fancy name).
Anyway, The liver is usually where the first signs of disease are found. White spots are the indicator. Any white spots the carcass should be inspected carefully for spread of infections . Many white spots check for disease and tumors through out the carcass.
One or two white spots the inspector would simply cut them out. Anymore than that the liver is not for for human consumption.

As a kid the adult hunters I'd be out with would check the hides and carcass for "Worbles" - Insect larva that grew lived in the hide, and could get into muscle tissue. On small animals (squirrels, rabbits,..) they'd cut that limb off.
Whether that was a good practice or not I have no idea.
Please feel free to put in your experience on this subject. Gb

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
In wyo you will seldom find em under 6000'. They are right up there in the big hills. badgers, coyote, bobcats, birds of prey and wolves live on em.

I never knew they were good to eat, we just lit em up. They blow up like a meat bomb. If you shoot infared they come out at nite too.

Shit you learn something everyday then, thatll work.

AHA!!

But remember, Grasshopper, the Unca's Patented Yada recipe requires beer. Much beer in mountainland is like (making love in a canoe****) so be sure to avoid Bud with a capital B. Other buds, however, are OK.

*****fucking near water

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Goldbrix got it right, its white spots on the liver, it says the critter is sick w tularemia.........nasty shit mayne.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been scouting ground the last few days, I think ive walked 20miles or so, was trying to figure it in my head while driving home. My higher ground where the dirt is actual soil is gonna be interesting. Where guys have had no cattle, the cow trails are completely grassed over, cuz we had a wet spring. It looks like well set the tops of washes, and wait for some other sign, hopefully it snows early and I can go walk cut trails. That will tell the story. Fuckin' place is full of dogs fellers.

This other shit, pure sugar sand, 2 miles wide on a big dry wash. You can look at it and get your rig stuck. I got 2 farmers (big places not that indiana shit, several 10k acres apiece)side by side who lost 47 calves, so they are happy to see me. There is a barn on their mutual border, they agreed to have a tractor w a tow rope on it plugged in ready to go for me. I am still trying to work it out, might have to take my bigger rig down there to run those lines, and leave it in the barn. I can pull a 4 wheeler trailer w it, id hate to have to walk a few miles to get to the tractor. The other option is to pull the bed off my small rig and build a platform for a 4 wheeler. The added weight might do me some good. This shit all works because I can get round for about nothing, in the s-10, and collect my bivy.

Dont know, im sure it will work itself out. I have been modding traps and waxing and dying for the last 3 days, working on a new electric skinning machine, its been a slow go, I got some new dabs in Pueblo, and its been windy.

Spirits are high, I have my skinning knives sharpened already.

Also , I built a 20 ft long single rail rack in my 40 x120 roundtop in full shade away from doors, to hang coyotes on, once they freeze they can be left for a few weeks at least before they need skint. Cold storage, ought to be slick in Jan. I think I can hang 25-30 critters on it.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Sometimes its not possible. I can do about 15 a day, then I got to bits. i try too, smoke alot of weed, drink alot of beer, but my body says,

'NO NIGGA,!!!!'

Im pacing myself.

Besides that machine will pull the cold ones, it theyre thawed, just fine...............;)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
GOLDBRIX -- "As a kid the adult hunters I'd be out with would check the hides and carcass for "Worbles" - Insect larva that grew lived in the hide, and could get into muscle tissue. On small animals (squirrels, rabbits,..) they'd cut that limb off.
Whether that was a good practice or not I have no idea. "

Ole farm boy here: Worbles are horsefly larvae. The egg is planted in the skin (not under it, BTW) by the ratbastage horsefly. A sort of pocket of skin of the host grows around the worble worm.

Fargin puslickin fartbubble worble metamorphosizes into a yadayada.

In sum, while I do not favor eating the worbles, all of the parts of their hosts are fine.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Then the magpies sit on the backs of the warble infected bovines. They pick some out but they can also pick too much and make holes the size of a basseball on the cow. Seen it often back in the day we never had/or used insecticides for the killing of such varmints.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Then the magpies sit on the backs of the warble infected bovines. They pick some out but they can also pick too much and make holes the size of a basseball on the cow. Seen it often back in

shit sorry had some hard goopie stuf on the back space button.... anywhoo's beeswax and mineral oil the original farmers snakey stuff.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Back in the 70s it the first time I heard this phrase:
" California, The granola capital of the world. What is not fruits and flakes is definitely Nuts".
A joke at the time, now a truism.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Back in The Olden Days, GI's referred to other GI's in general as "High-a-Whyan"... and specifically, "pineapple" if they came from Hawaii. If (gawd help you) you were from California, you were expected to be a medic, since all GI's know that medics are mostly gay and crazy. If you got hit, you shouted, "Faggot!". There were Flips, too.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
NAFA not going to be in business this year according to an email I got from them. This ain't gonna help.

October 26, 2019

Dear NAFA Wild Fur Consignor,

Our discussions with SAGA to collaborate on a wild fur collection and sale continue, however there appear to be hurdles that may be difficult to overcome. At this point in time, we are not in a position to guarantee a wild fur collection in 2020.

We are disappointed and saddened with the current situation and remain steadfast to find a viable way forward for our loyal and dedicated shippers and buyers. We will keep you informed of further developments and more details on paying outstanding prompt payments from August as they arise.

We are very sorry to all our wild fur shippers for this unimaginable outcome.

Sincerely,

mail

Douglas Lawson
President & CEO

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
On another tack.

At noon yesterday I found myself sitting on a hill overlooking a 15+- acre pond that had about 500 Canada geese standing on the fresh ice. A coyote came out on the ice and got within 50 yds of the geese that didn't fly away. I watched as it sat down to study the situation and I was thinking why didn't the silly bugger come over to my end of the pond and sneak out to an island that would have put it within say 20 yds. Another coyote came on the ice and went right to the first[a pup perhaps I thought] which prompted them both to walk off the ice to the North. I sat watching and maybe 15 minutes later a coyote[looked like the first one] went out on the ice behind this little island like I had figured it should do. The coyote disappeard in the willow on the island and for 10 minutes all was quiet. Then that coyote came outta them willow doing mach 10 and slid into the flock, grabbing the first one within reach. The geese close to the attack raised up and took flight but very much to my surprise most of the birds remained on the ice like they felt safe. Only about 50 birds that were within say 10yds of the one who got caught flew and I couldn't believe it. I never thought ol' wiley had a chance on that slippery surface but it took it only a couple seconds to have a fresh warm dinner that he took back to the island. What a great way to spend a couple hours fella's.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Yup I heard nafa was fucked. I dont sell thru them anyway, and heard the nafa buyers are at the dept of commerce offices in DC getting paperwork to buy in the US. Looks like the country buyers might have a run for their money. nafa got caught up in the ranch fur craze, and fronted a bunch of coin to producers, then the demand for ranched fur fell off..............oooops.

5 on stretchers, we started yesterday. A little early, but im putting a few diff collections together for various buyers.

Game on boys!

I have not put my line out yet, ill start friday. ima fuck em up. Look for some upcoming full pickup bed shots.

Last edited:

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I have sold to NAFA for many years but I guess I'll try FHA this year if I do go get any.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
FHA just sent out a big letter saying they are everyones friend, and their fur will be welcome there.

Maybe you ought to cash in your gold and sell coyotes to the gooks.

:robber:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
TO ALL NORTH AMERICAN WILD FUR PRODUCERS:
In these changing times, Fur Harvesters Auction (FHA) remains solid and committed to the future of North American wild fur. With many trapping seasons already open, it is important for wild fur producers to consider where and how they are going to market their hard-earned harvest. Fur Harvesters Auction is the only trapper owned and operated international fur auction house with the experience to move large volumes of wild fur into the international marketplace.
Our network of agents remains in place throughout Canada and the United States. They remain ready to assist all trappers in getting their wild fur harvest to market in an efficient and timely manner.
We will maintain our full pick-up schedule in all areas, and will expand where necessary. Most locations and dates have been finalized, and are currently being posted online for Canada and the United States. Those that have not yet been finalized will appear shortly.
We welcome back our loyal customers and look forward to greeting a great many new ones. All can expect the same level of service and respect that is the tradition of Fur Harvesters Auction.
For more information on FHA agents and pickup schedules:
Canadian agents: furharvesters.com/cdnagents.html Canadian pick-up schedules: furharvesters.com/cdnpickups.html
USA agents: furharvesters.com/usagents.html USA pick-up schedules: furharvesters.com/uspickups.html

Respectfully
Mark Downey Chief Executive Officer Fur Harvesters Auction Inc

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
You ever have one of them days..............?

Yesterday I caught 4 coyotes in 4 traps. Thats all I have out, waiting for deer hunters to bugger off.

So this morning, im feeling like a super trapper. Woke up, got a piece of ass, top of the world. Ill be damned if I didnt have a skunk this morning. I got my pole out, sweet talked the bastard for a bit, when I moved in, bastard sprayed me, so I shot him in the head. I got in the truck all smelly like, spilled my beer, on the dash, in the vent, and on a new pack of smokes. Turned on the heater, beer is coming out the vent hitting me in the face..........

grinning-smiley-045.gif

Its still better then working in town.

Im gonna skin that fucking skunk.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sorry I laughed but been there and done most a that. Well it should be a good place to set a few more traps with that great attractant. Funny how the critters come to a skunk smell but rarely eat the skunk.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
sweet talked the bastard for a bit, when I moved in, bastard sprayed me, so I shot him in the head.
You got things all Back Asswards coop..
Shoot him in the head, then sweet talk the little bastard as you poke him with stick to make sure he was dead.
College of Hardknocks is always OPEN for new students. Jus' Sayin'

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Im up to 25 stretched and dried coyotes as of today. It looks like ill break 200 easy..........

:banana:

The ultimate goal is 10 oz of gold, in my hand.