• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Anyone else look at an old US coin and think . . .

Usc96

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Anyone else look at an old US coin and think that it is crazy that we will never be able to experience receiving real MONEY the way people did prior to 1934.

Or that it is crazy that we once valued this amount of gold at $2.5*?

en5xmbuoigpl.jpg

• Or a different denomination depending on the gold coin you are admiring?

EO 11110

(globohomo) reproduction plan
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i often think about the coin's journey. from the mint to the merchant to the employee to under the mattress to the horse trader.......to my hand

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
$2.50 had a lot of purchasing power in the 1930s. That is what you have to compare...not dollar amount.
Exactly. A $20 gold coin, back then, would be a $2000 coin today.

Imagine, a circulating $2000 unit of currency. And how few would have it, in our current state.

One (false) argument for abolishing a PM standard for the dollar was, there "wasn't enough" gold or silver to go around.

Well, now we have paper money - plenty to go around; and digital can be created at zero cost.

And people still don't have any money.

Maybe the problem isn't the currency; and maybe the hard limit on precious metals isn't a flaw but a feature.

EO 11110

(globohomo) reproduction plan
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
i often think about the coin's journey. from the mint to the merchant to the employee to under the mattress to the horse trader.......to my hand
If Iron's cantankerous fishing find has anything to do with it, it will go from your hand to smooths real quick. I hear Bunga Britches is trying to pay off some misused funding through a credit card or two.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Imagine, a circulating $2000 unit of currency. And how few would have it, in our current state
let's see...

Oligarchs would have a vault full, Drug Cartels would have a vault full, many governments would have a vault full, central banks would have a vault full, and the people who could only afford a half of a vault full would be enormous...that wouldn't leave much for the rest of us...

if gold were a currency today, there wouldn't be much for us to circulate

just like that almighty USD...some here have vaults full of it, while Main Street can't earn it fast enough to keep up with consumer pricing, energy pricing...it's been Inflated into the stratosphere, as far as total numbers go, but, it's still relatively hard to get, being taxed before you receive what you've earned, and even harder to hold on to today...

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
let's see...

Oligarchs would have a vault full, Drug Cartels would have a vault full, many governments would have a vault full, central banks would have a vault full, and the people who could only afford a half of a vault full would be enormous...that wouldn't leave much for the rest of us...

if gold were a currency today, there wouldn't be much for us to circulate

just like that almighty USD...some here have vaults full of it, while Main Street can't earn it fast enough to keep up with consumer pricing, energy pricing...it's been Inflated into the stratosphere, as far as total numbers go, but, it's still relatively hard to get, being taxed before you receive what you've earned, and even harder to hold on to today...
There would be no oligarchs.

Oligarchy is a second-order effect of Central Bankers and seignorage - the printing up of fiat by the King or Political Elites.

Money gravitates to the connected. It is handed them, in some cases - in other cases, foolish spending of helicopter money leads it to gravitate there.

No Central Bank debasement, would return market interest rates, which would motivate savers, which would be an alternative source of capital - limiting the powers of the wealthy.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Oligarchy is a second-order effect of Central Bankers and seignorage
one would naturally want to believe this way but there are greedy people who are spend-thrifts and will pass onto others, when they die, what they gathered along the way

put two of those people together, the recipients, and soon we have a new cabal in the making

there's much more to say about the human condition then there is to say about the fiat specie itself...

SongSungAU

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Just think of the hands that coin has gone through and all the stories it could tell. I find that amazing to ponder.
I've never had that thought about a dollar bill. LOL!

slackercruster

Seeker
Seeker
Reaction score
Anyone else look at an old US coin and think that it is crazy that we will never be able to experience receiving real MONEY the way people did prior to 1934.

en5xmbuoigpl.jpg

Yes, all the time when I look at gold. And I wonder how it would be if the gov adopted real money as gold foil notes.

goldbacks.jpg

I can tell you I'd be a lot more careful squandering them as opposed to the common greenback. In the old days, the money had to go through your hands, be deposited in the bank, etc. Now it is just keyboard strokes or a chip reader.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

en5xmbuoigpl.jpg

Actually in today's dollars $2.50 equals 40 bucks.
A 20 dollar gold coin would be $325.00.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Unless you melted it down.

Then it would be worth $2000.

One more way our fiat is fictional.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
My understanding is that gold coins were not used at face value for transactions just as they aren't today. Then, as now, they were worth more at melt than their denomination.
There really weren't that many gold coins minted that people kept pocketfuls.
You very rarely see worn down gold like you do silver quarters.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Eagle
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You very rarely see worn down gold like you do silver quarters.

Silver quarters, and silver coins were in circulation for many years. Gold coins were, are hoarded and have never been in active circulation.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
One (false) argument for abolishing a PM standard for the dollar was, there "wasn't enough" gold or silver to go around.

The standard would have collapsed at some point due to fractional reserve lending.

Or

If they would have truly kept to the standard, economic growth would have been severely stunted.

wastrel

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder sometimes about the journey some of my Mercury dimes have taken on their way to me. Perhaps this one was used to pay a paperboy for his delivery. That one to tip a milkman. This one might have paid for the awkward first date of a boy and a girl who later married and lived a long good life together. Maybe this one paid for a "dime a dance" night that ended badly.

We'll never know, of course. These are archeological remnants of a long gone civilization, that we know some things about, some of the big historical things. But the little moments of people's lives, that we don't know, or can never really understand, not really. We can only hold the coins in our hands, and wonder about the people who really used them.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Lead the crowds to the money lenders in the temple...