• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Anyone ever done a cerakote finish on your firearm?

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Just curious if any members have done a cerakote finish to a handgun or rifle and trying to get some opinions and insights. Have a local guy who does some great work and is willing to cut me an awesome deal on the job.

Background story, I bought a Glock 19 that the owner had polished the slide. Doesn't look bad, but shiny isn't my thing and I want to have the ability to carry it and would rather have something stealthy.

Been reading and researching cerakote and it appears to be "the" way to do firearms finishes now. Lots of great reviews and comments about it. Also came across this which was quite impressive:

Some even say that using a cerakote finish may actually smooth up the action.

Last edited:

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Also this one:

Cerakote coating can supposedly handle temperatures up to 1,800 degrees F, so it is perfect for barrels as well.

Really think I will go this route.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I have a Sig 1911 Scorpion that came cerekoted. 1000 rds into it and I have not noticed any ill effects. Some claim the finish wears with repeated holstering compared to other Sig finishes (especially with harder plastic and kydex style holsters). I have yet to get a holster for mine, so I can't comment.

All aside, my FDE "cote" finish looks great if that means anything.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
I have a Sig 1911 Scorpion that came cerekoted. 1000 rds into it and I have not noticed any ill effects. Some claim the finish wears with repeated holstering compared to other Sig finishes (especially with harder plastic and kydex style holsters). I have yet to get a holster for mine, so I can't comment.

All aside, my FDE "cote" finish looks great if that means anything.
Is the body, slide and barrel cerakoted?

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I just sent my glock 23 gen4 slide to http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ (SUAREZ INTERNATIONAL) to have a trijicon RMR RM06 installed and I did not choose the cerakote finish. You guys are killing me.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
I don't see why I would CK the barrel
Cerakote helps with heat. Probably not a big deal in a semi auto handgun.

But the biggest help is that it is more resilient to normal wear and tear and can actually smooth up everything. Look at the pictures in post #1. Quite impressive durability based on the number of rounds.

the_shootist

The war is here on our doorstep!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Cerakote helps with heat. Probably not a big deal in a semi auto handgun.

But the biggest help is that it is more resilient to normal wear and tear and can actually smooth up everything. Look at the pictures in post #1. Quite impressive durability based on the number of rounds.
I wouldn't say not too...just never thought about it :)

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Got it back today guys. She is purty. Will have to take a picture or two and post it up in a little bit. Definitely is unique.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Here is the Glock 19 gen 2 that I picked up locally. It didn't look bad with the polished slide but I wanted the option to carry this and don't want a polished slide that will potentially create glare or potentially reveal my location.

So I had my local cerakote guy (does amazing work) go to work on it. He said it could look really nice in a custom "battle worn" cerakote finish that has become popular lately. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of that finish but I was game and told me to do what he thought would look good.

Here is the finished product. Have to say, I am very happy and pleased with it. Will definitely keep it as it is unique and it has grown on me. Slide, barrel and frame were 100% cerakote finished. He used the titanium cerakote color and then did the custom "battle worn" finish on it.

I know this finish isn't for everyone, but what do you guys think? I like the natural wear marks on stock guns, but this finish is kinda cool and different, eh?

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
It's badass....real nice.

By the way if those are the stock sights do yourself a big favor and get night sights or fiber optics sights. It will improve your accuracy.

Ahillock

A nobody
Mother Lode
Already have enough black guns, so trying something else was fun. Not for everyone, which I assume you don't like it. Not hard to blast off the Cerakote and change it when I get tired of it. But I like it and guess that is all that matters.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I get the need to mix up your "black gun collection". That was what drew me to the FDE of the Sig Scorpion. Nothing wrong with it mind you, just not my cup of tea. I am obsessed with composite stocks and stainless barrels. My brother hates them and prefers traditional wood and blued barrels. All is good though. Form, fit, function... at the end of the day we are both happy and so are you, so as you said thats all that matters.