• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Apmex Dealer Rating

How do you rate this dealer?

• * One Star

Votes: 19 7.4%
  • ** Two Star

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • *** Three Star

Votes: 21 8.2%
  • **** Four Star

Votes: 63 24.5%
  • ***** Five Star

Votes: 147 57.2%

• Total voters

Hi Ho Silver

Seeker
Seeker
Top Notch in my book. I use others as well but APMEX is first consideration

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
You sure put a bug in thier ear Tom, great job! If I was Apmex I would use this loophole hard for as long as it is open. Eventually the banks will get pissed for the skirting thier wire fees.

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker
Usually if a corporation has an account with your bank the bank will do a transfer into their account the next day. It is kind of like a wire, but with no fees. Banks prefer to do this because it saves the money for the papercheck, ink, envelope, and stamp.

NotTheOne

Seeker
Seeker
Recent order came without a hitch. Wrapped like fort knox. Lots of bubble foam inside too. Used payment by check to keep costs down.

I gotta knock them down a notch since advertised prices on their site weren't going to be honored on a buyback. Be forewarned.

diversified2

Seeker
Seeker
I gotta knock them down a notch since advertised prices on their site weren't going to be honored on a buyback. Be forewarned.
Could you elaborate on this????? Inquiring minds need to know...:five:

diversified2

Seeker
Seeker
Okay, I know I have a love hate relationship with these guys but they always deliver pristine items and carefully packaged. I recently placed an order purchasing some 1/4 Oz GAEs for my sister and 4 days later a seperate order for myself. They shipped both on the same day when the first order was due to ship which was really helpful and avoided having someone waiting around on 2 seperate days for delivery. I have had many transactions with them and they always meet or exceed my expectations!!!!!!!!!!!

Argentsum

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I had some difficulties with my first order with them. This was back in 2004. The order was a month overdue and when it arrived was left on my doorstep.

They've since improved and purchases are timely, and arrive for signature.

I like APMEX. They don't have minimums you have to order. Their prices are usually reasonable. Note, I didn't say fantastic, merely reasonable compared to what others sell their wares for.

Customer service is top drawer.

Typically if I have some extra spending money I'll buy local. If I wish to make a significant purchase that marginalizes the S&H I'll go with APMEX.

dmaddox

Seeker
Seeker
APMEX, has a sales code that can only be used today to purchase fractional GAEs. Soar2010

$5.00 Off Orders from $250 - $499
$10.00 Off Orders from $1,000 - $1,999
$25.00 Off Orders of $2,000 or more

AGRO

Seeker
Seeker
My last transaction was great.

They have changed the shipping and there is now no indication of the source (company name) as well as a big sticker informing for the package small or large to not be left - requiring signature.

Packed well and great product.

I got a free pad and there were two cards inside of the people that handled my order with phone numbers. All this on a small buy.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I've done three orders with these folks, so far and my experience has been great. Their website is very easy to navigate and find what you want and they have an excellent selection of items, often telling you exactly how many are in stock. Ordering process is simple and painless. I use a check every time and they only hold it 7 days before shipping. They pack every box like they expect a truck to run it over and the pickers and order checkers put their cards in the box, with their actual pictures on the card. Packages must always be signed for, whether they use UPS or USPS. Prices for product and shipping I find very reasonable. Communication is also absolutely excellent as they let you know the progress of your order every step of the way. I don't see how they could improve their operation. I will use them again. Five star operation!

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
They just put the Tuvalu gold horses on sale today. Pretty coins from the Perth mint, I'm going to grab a 1/5 horse (6.22 grams) as soon as I get home.

prophet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Any Oversea buyers here? Just read they are currently shipping to certain countries, no asian ones....... :(

SNICKLE 1980

Seeker
Seeker
I've done biz with them 3 times and everything worked out on both ends of the equation.
Recently, i had an issue with my post office not leaving that little orange card saying "we missed you so sorry!" at my place in philly.

APMEX gave me the post office number at my home town a thousand miles away, called them themselves later on, told me all the info i'd need to work through the mess as it wasnt at the post office and if it doesnt end up back at thier place (so they can ship it to me here in fla ), they said they would take care of the investigation with the post office as well.

Perfect customer service. Just like talking down a pilot who's making a crash landing. I have absolute full faith my 15 wolves will arive at my doorstep pretty soon. They're kicking ass at the post office so i don't have to travel 1000 miles to do it myself. Pretty good if you ask me. 5 Stars.

PS...i might send THEM popcorn when my wolves arive.

Last edited:

Tecumseh

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Overall I think they are a very good dealer. I gave them 4 stars only because I agree with other posters about the length of time they hold personal checks and the CC fees - other online dealers are more competitive when you factor in shipping and CC fees.
I had one order that I would question the accuracy of the description - I don't remember now how they described it but what I got was a bunch of old silver art bars that were tarnished, scratched and dinged. There were one or two that didn't even appear to be a troy ounce - only said one ounce and were thinner than the others so I suspect AV ounce. It wasn't a big enough deal to file a complaint or ask for a refund but the description was definitely a little shady - I remember feeling a little bam boozled.
I estimate that I have had about a dozen transactions with them over the years.

tanner

ive bought from them before without any hiccups...called today and sold some....the price quoted was phantom and .20 cents under the website.....maybe it was a quantity issue...who knows

KGMe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Disclaimer:
I'm new to collecting bullion, and relied heavily on this board's dealer reviews to make my beginner's decisions. I wanted to just add my experiences for others in my position, as I often rely on the reviews of others for online purchases. I ordered from 4 different online sites and will rate all of them as they complete.

Thanks,
-KGMe

I placed 2 orders with APMEX. A tube of ASEs, some Morgan Design bars, a few 1/10 oz gold coins and a 10g Pamp bar. This was my first ever order, basically because APMEX had the best reviews on most sites.

Pricing seemed good, although I'm not a fan of the 3% surcharge for CC. I guess it's my premium for being to lazy/impatient to send a check. Shipping charges seemed about the norm.

Placing the order was fun and easy, with a great selection of smaller sized bars, rounds, and coins. I got a quick email confirmation, and logged into check the status daily (yeah, very impatient!). The status was updated regularly with comments like "Order Pulled", "Checked Into B Vault", and "Order Double Checked". Not exactly sure what all their fulfillment process included, but I can say that I got what I ordered.

I received both orders in 10 business days from placing my order. As others have commented, their packaging is a little over the top! I felt like I was opening a set of Russian nesting dolls! I did appreciate the included business cards with the name and picture of the people who pulled / checked my orders. Thanks Mike and Kathy! Added a bit of personal involvement to a completely electronic acquisition process.

I am giving 5 stars to APMEX. Great service and selection. Very pleased with the product received.

I gave them one star after my last and most current order. I called after my check had been cashed and money received to see if they could add a few empty moster boxes to my order. The person I spoke to seemed put out and after about 5 mins on hold she said they could be added but since I was using my debit card there would be a 3% charge. NOT COOL, they pretty much get these boxes for free... the 3% put me over the edge. Not sure if I'll ever do business w/ them again

tanner

ive bought from them before without any hiccups...called today and sold some....the price quoted was phantom and .20 cents under the website.....maybe it was a quantity issue...who knows
check came today...not a bad experience...prefer selling on here due to better prices but if you wanna move something on the spot you can count on ampex

Tecumseh

Silver Member
Silver Miner
With this pullback will be interesting to see what the premiums do or if dealers are suddenly out of stock.

I like doing business with APMEX but I am getting tired of APMEX following me around the Internet via google. :s10:

Sindgefallen

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have always been treated well by APMEX and they always resolve issues IF they pop-up. Rarely. Premiums are best on volume so I tend to use them only for big purchases for long-term core. IMO the best internet bullion broker in existence.

Sheepdog

Silver Member
Silver Miner
First post and new to gold and silver purchasing. I went to this company and made a purchase of some silver bars -1ounce- 20 bars, and a 1 ounce gold bar. Around 2k.

So I go back today when I see a decent dip in gold pricing and try to complete the sale and they stop it. Said I was too close to some 5k limit they have for Credit and debit cards. They want me to go to my credit union and get the $ wired or get a bank check. I explain that I am disabled somewhat (military injuries) and it is a major deal for me to try to actually go to the bank and then post office. They give me basically nothing in the way of explanation of policy or why.

I'm a small investor. That 2k was the first money I ever spent on gold and silver to hold for investment. I explained that I had maybe 6k total I could invest and that might be it for a while.
After that I wasnt even important enough for the conversation to go anywhere.

I may be small time, but I will just take my money elsewhere now. Maybe a big spender will get some respect and understanding, but that obviously was not me.

Apmex? I wont send anyone there on purpose.

DM1975

Seeker
Seeker
I have only made one purchase through them. I read their policies and made my purchase. I had nothing but satisfaction and was happy to see my package arrive the day they said it would and well packed. All of my coins were in slip covers and their was even a card in the box with a photo and name of the person that worked my order. I am also disabled through military service and if I had one thing to say negative would be that I had to scramble around a little bit to get the payment arranged, which being disabled, as the previous poster stated, makes things tough I agree, but if you read the policies and do some planning then it makes it all a bit easier. I will still choose to go elsewhere for small purchases, but the larger ones I feel APMEX would be my choice.

Paul

So I go back today when I see a decent dip in gold pricing and try to complete the sale and they stop it. Said I was too close to some 5k limit they have for Credit and debit cards. They want me to go to my credit union and get the $ wired or get a bank check. I explain that I am disabled somewhat (military injuries) and it is a major deal for me to try to actually go to the bank and then post office. They give me basically nothing in the way of explanation of policy or why.
Sheepdog,
Paul here from APMEX (giving full disclaimer here).

The payment policies are listed in the FAQ section of our site, which explain the credit card policy. Since we offer a 3% Cash Discount, it is better that you pay with an alternate method on larger purchases, so you can take advantage of this discount - and this is reflected in the policies. This is also applied to CC purchases in a 30 day period, to help us prevent CC fraud and other potential issues that could be illegal in nature.

You don't have to do a bank wire, a personal check would be fine per the policy, since the prices are locked in at time of purchase and we give you plenty of time to send the check to us. This would be very convenient for you because of your physical situation. Of course, if you call us, we can also work with you over the phone and help you make your purchases, explain different policies, etc.

We do care about smaller investors - most of our orders are from smaller customers and we are always willing to work with our customers no matter if they are spending $100 or $100K. This is evidenced in the fact that we have a minimum $50 purchase, which is rare in the industry. Some dealers have very high minimum orders, which discourage smaller purchases.

If you call us, we will be happy to help you in any way that we can.

DrillAndFill

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Don't Trust APMEX web page stock status

Still waiting for shipment on a platinum Maple Leaf.

Order placed on 11/4. Wired funds on 11/5. Money was received on 11/8.

At time of order, platinum Maple Leaf stock status was "In stock and ready to ship." On the phone, sales reps at APMEX say they still lack the platinum Maple Leafs they were expecting at time of order. Meanwhile, the web page status on platinum Maple Leafs still says "In stock and ready to ship."

I guess that lying about stock status is endemic in the PM business. At least it's better than Northwest Territorial Mint.

Re: Don't Trust APMEX web page stock status

Still waiting for shipment on a platinum Maple Leaf.

Order placed on 11/4. Wired funds on 11/5. Money was received on 11/8.

At time of order, platinum Maple Leaf stock status was "In stock and ready to ship." On the phone, sales reps at APMEX say they still lack the platinum Maple Leafs they were expecting at time of order. Meanwhile, the web page status on platinum Maple Leafs still says "In stock and ready to ship."

I guess that lying about stock status is endemic in the PM business. At least it's better than Northwest Territorial Mint.
How do you figure?

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Holy Snap, I Got Popcorn!!!

Never got it before, not sure why this year. I find it very hard to believe I'm one of their bigger customers, maybe they had some left over and randomly selected some little guys. Anyway, thank you APMEX.

charlie1023

Seeker
Seeker

After the latest fiasco with the 5 oz ATB coinsd and the way they tried to hose the average buyer, I want to vote again and changed my rating for these gougers to properly reflect what I really feel for them right now.

GoldWampum

Midas Member
Midas Member

Funny what people are willing to pay for a buck fifty worth of popcorn and then be grateful. Another one of their gimmicks they laugh about.

rodzm

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

After the latest fiasco with the 5 oz ATB coinsd and the way they tried to hose the average buyer, I want to vote again and changed my rating for these gougers to properly reflect what I really feel for them right now.
I too have decided to not buy from them again due to this issue neither will my family and immediate relatives. As one poster said it takes years to build trust and only one event to destroy it.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

I'm going to wait and see how this all shakes out. Before this mess, I always had great dealings with them. I once had a check returned because I messed up the address; called APMEX and they held my product at the agreed upon rate.

sandblaster

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Haven't bought from them since summer, but I don't think I overpaid. Of course, AG was in 16-17 range. Besides, how are they going cover the popcorn they sent me? Been getting better deals from Provident.

charlie1023

Seeker
Seeker

I agree, I have been using Provident this year and have been very happy with their service and prices as well as their silver product line. I was a steady & heacy APMEX customer until this year but have been switching my purchases over to Provident and have also done alot of business on the forum over at BullionDirect, can't beat their prices or shipping. Guess thats why I didn't get any popcorn this year!

GoldWampum

Midas Member
Midas Member

I bought from provident a while back. Very happy with them.

sandblaster

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

Best deals I got were with other members on GIM1. Picked up alot of AG. (God I miss those deals) Just saying.