• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Five-Ounce Proof Silver Dollar

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
If I decide to get the Apollo silver coin, it will be the first time that I bought anything from the US Mint since buying the 2018 1/10-oz American Liberty Gold earlier this year. This coin will be unique (IMO) in that this will be 5-oz .999 silver coin that is curved. Yeah I might splurge on this coin when it becomes available for sale on 1-24-2019.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Sorry wont pay over 20 an ounce for just plain silver

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
And the brains behind this mint authorized subsidy of the Smithsonian and astronaut memorial and scholarship puts the price of these beyond reasonable.
"The law that authorizes the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program also requires the Mint to collect surcharges from coin sales—$35 for each gold coin, $10 for each $1 silver coin, $5 for each half-dollar coin, and $50 for each five ounce silver proof coin "

That's a minimum of a $10 premium per ounce! Yikes

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The five ounce puck is the correct weight but look at the 999 silver dollar weight:

Apollo 11 dollar.JPG

And the half dollar is even worse.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The five ounce puck is the correct weight but look at the 999 silver dollar weight:
Isn't the smaller one considered a commemorative dollar?
...and commemorative dollars are not one-ounce coins.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Isn't the smaller one considered a commemorative dollar?
...and commemorative dollars are not one-ounce coins.
the purity is off - so not a real silver dollar. coinage act of 1792., i believe, set the standard at 90 percent pure, not 99

wtf? i was under the impression that commem silver dollars met the standard for real american money

Last edited:

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
the purity is off - so not a real silver dollar. coinage act of 1792., i believe, set the standard at 90 percent pure, not 99
That too. I've always thought that commemorative dollars were what I call coin silver. Ie: same composition as Morgans and Peace dollars.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
That too. I've always thought that commemorative dollars were what I call coin silver. Ie: same composition as Morgans and Peace dollars.
I believe you are correct as far as my understanding goes.

pay dirt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

wtf? i was under the impression that commem silver dollars met the standard for real american money
This is the FIRST dollar coin ever made .999. Do not know if it makes it more collectible or not.

From Coinworld https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...ommemorative-coins-striking-ceremony.all.html
Both silver dollars are the first of their kind in the traditional U.S. commemorative coin program. The 5-ounce silver dollar is the first of that denomination and the 1.5-inch silver dollar is the first struck on a .999 fine silver planchet instead of a .900 fine silver planchet.

I wonder if the Apollo 5 ounce puck is from the same press as the ATB. If so expect it won't be retired after the ATB series.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

And the half dollar is even worse.
400,000 max limit???? Yeah that sounds high for a coin that is going to be for sale for a very high premium. JMHO.

Foxwoods Man

Silver Member
Silver Miner
400k is the max for two coins combined and yes...it's up there but the same as the Baseball HOF curved which sold out (the first time) in two weeks. HOF and Apollo will have the same $10 surcharge but it looks like the Apollo will be .999 silver vs. .900

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
To be honest here, I plan to buy this coin because I like this coin. I like this coin because I currently have some space-themed '70's Franklin Mint sterling silver art bars and rounds that I purchased recently from a LCS and those items lead me to have a liking to certain space-themed silver and the 2019 Apollo 11 5-oz ,999 silver coin will fit the bill IMO.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My WAG on the price of this Apollo 11 50Th Anniversary. 5-oz .999 silver coin: $180 to $215 price range. We will see as the release date get closer.

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
I may buy this to add to my New Mexico ATB display. Supposedly the sound stage where the “moon landings” occurred is in NM.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I won’t be buying, but I admit the 5oz looks cool.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yep I am going to get that Apollo 11 5-oz .999 silver coin. I sold my last George Rogers "P" puck today for a decent profit on ebay and I will use those proceeds to buy that Apollo 11 coin. I am ready to go on this.

bump

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Where did ya'll purchase from?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I plan to buy every coin except for the puck and the other proofs.

I took a quick look at the prices on the Mint website, and all of the coins are at the standard price, except for the puck, which has about a 50% markup compared to normal.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I plan to buy every coin except for the puck and the other proofs.

I took a quick look at the prices on the Mint website, and all of the coins are at the standard price, except for the puck, which has about a 50% markup compared to normal.
Actually, closer to a 45% markup over normal.

I like the popularity of this theme. The obvious similarity is drawn between this year's Apollo coins and the 2014 Baseball HOF coins, both offering curved coins. The main difference, in my mind, is the more nationally-oriented theme of the Apolllo coins. Although this will probably result in higher mintage across the board, it will also come with higher collector demand across the board.

The fact that all coins except for the puck are being offered at a standard price makes the risk of buying even less. The presence of the proof puck should be able to keep the mintage of the other coins in the set reasonably low, and the smaller proof coins (except for the clad half) will not have inflated mintage from multi-coin sets.

Finally, the initial novelty that came with the curved 2014 Baseball HOF coins will be diminished by the fact that it's no longer a new idea, and I therefore think that the non-puck coins in the set will not have the level of sales that were enjoyed by the Baseball coins (although I may be wrong on this).

Last edited:

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I bought from the US Mint with eyes wide open about the mark up. The puck is the first curved Mint coin of that size and the design is excellent in my opinion. I'm a space buff as well. I was happy the coin was made available, and I will be pleased to own it.

I bought one for my dad as well. He was involved with the Apollo effort and will really enjoy this coin, I suspect.

Surprised they didn't sell out

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Surprised they didn't sell out
I suspect it was a combination of high markup and lack of dealer perception that they could do a quick easy flip. Slabbing these curved pucks will cost a bit and 100,000 is a pretty high number for a one off commem like this. I think this is more of a collector coin than a flipper coin. Sadly, the true collectors market is just not that big.

I suspect it was a combination of high markup and lack of dealer perception that they could do a quick easy flip. Slabbing these curved pucks will cost a bit and 100,000 is a pretty high number for a one off commem like this. I think this is more of a collector coin than a flipper coin. Sadly, the true collectors market is just not that big.
Any upcoming releases you think will be sold out right away? I'm thinking about sending mine into NGC and hope for a 70

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Remember NUMISMATICS are another bucket or variation on the gold and silver theme. It always pays to have other buckets.
I like things slabbed NGC PCGS to me it is worth the tariff... PIA that it is...

Hang in there things are changing I hope as we crack $1,300 that was defended to the death by somebody...LOL

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
PS I like these like I liked the BASEBALL ones since the last time I saw a good play...

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I bought from the US Mint with eyes wide open about the mark up. The puck is the first curved Mint coin of that size and the design is excellent in my opinion. I'm a space buff as well. I was happy the coin was made available, and I will be pleased to own it.

I bought one for my dad as well. He was involved with the Apollo effort and will really enjoy this coin, I suspect.
I agree on the design of the coin, but my money (both figurative and actual) is on the gold unc, with a 1-coin-per-household limit, which I think should keep the mintage from going too high.

The good news is that all the coins share the same design, and all coins besides the puck are at normal issue prices.

I ordered 1 gold unc, 1 silver unc, and 3 clad unc coins last night.

Last edited:

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I agree on the design of the coin, but my money (both figurative and actual) is on the gold unc, with a 1-coin-per-household limit, which I think should keep the mintage from going too high.

The good news is that all the coins share the same design, and all coins besides the puck are at normal issue prices.

I ordered 1 gold unc, 1 silver unc, and 3 clad unc coins last night.
The mint is likely to lift purchasing limits once the initial ordering phase is over with. I do agree that the gold unc will carry the lowest mintage of the grouping. Whether or not that translates into an increase in post issue market price remains to be seen.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Any upcoming releases you think will be sold out right away? I'm thinking about sending mine into NGC and hope for a 70
Nothing on the short term horizon I’m seeing at the moment. Doesn’t mean that something like that isn’t lurking just around the corner. A lot of times dealers/sellers will telegraph an upcoming expected sell out by showing lots of interest in buying at the outset from the public, like what occurred for last year’s Palladium proof coin.

savvydon

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Remember NUMISMATICS are another bucket or variation on the gold and silver theme. It always pays to have other buckets.
I like things slabbed NGC PCGS to me it is worth the tariff... PIA that it is...

Hang in there things are changing I hope as we crack $1,300 that was defended to the death by somebody...LOL
HS man it is good to ‘see’ you! Long time... hope your presence and the push through $1300 heralds a new bull run.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
ME TOO! Long term run with ups and 30% correction to you-place-a-number... all that added 12 trillion $ since 2008 will make it interesting...
Here are 9 reasons for fun...

1) $1303 ish today after being managed for so long UNDER that $1300 level by the managers; received a big push today...
(maybe Russia and China have what they planned for?)

2) My first reason - YESTERDAY sure as certain reminded me of the cruise ship in the early 2000s when gold broke out of $300...
I told dad then and there buy gold and silver he did! I had the same feeling yesterday...

3) I said back then (2002) good time to buy G & S prematurely (because I am early in that call and NOT waiting for technical confirmation but watch this puppy run): it did to about you-know-where.

4) PLEASE NOW Watch the gold to oil ratio also and how oil plays off the dollar and the two biggest markets BONDS & STOCKS in their various forms. Oil to gold is NOW the new US Dollar to Petro game from the old Nixon days...

5) My second reason (for coming in out of the cold like a gold spy) is that Russia yesterday made a gold backing currency remark probably in cahoots with China like last April plan:

6) https://newspunch.com/russia-china-gold-backed-currency/

7) My third reason was that Venezuela was denied their 1.2 BILLION $ in gold yesterday ish...

8) My fourth reason is that this gold and silver is so managed at maybe 500 claimed to ONE OUNCE existing that you have to be early to get any.
That is for Gold Silver and Platinum IMVHO...

9) My fifth reason is that right now would be a great time for T.P.T.B. to pull off the financial rug pull.