• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

ARK Funds

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Why isn’t there an ETF of stocks our congressional representatives and members of the executive branch hold or have relations with?

Seems like a no brainer. Halliburton when Chaney was VP comes to mind.

take my money!

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Todays updates

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
ARK Invest's BIG IDEAS 2021

(Cathie starts at about 30 seconds in this)

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I am reminded of paraphrasing an old axium, a bull market can make anyone look like a genius...

1614914198868.png

Let's see if she's all hat and no cattle.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Volatility, Skepticism, Retail vs. Institutional Investors | ITK with Cathie Wood

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
before cathie wood there was ken heebner - made his name the same way - going all-in on the highest beta names in the market

got utterly destroyed when that type of stock fell out favor

https://www.investmentnews.com/legendary-fund-manager-goes-from-penthouse-to-outhouse-45355

Legendary fund manager goes from penthouse to outhouse

Kenneth Heebner ranked as America’s No. 1 stock picker before losing his touch and most of his main fund’s assets. The 71-year-old manager, at the bottom of his peer group for the fourth year in five, hasn’t lost his swagger.

Heebner, whose CGM Focus Fund (CGMFX) topped all diversified U.S. stock mutual funds in the decade through 2007, lost an annual average of 6.3 percent in the five years through June 26, trailing 96 percent of the same group, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. CGM Focus has been in the bottom 6 percent of the large-cap growth category every year since 2008, with the exception of 2010, when it beat 66 percent of peers.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I don't know, just listening to some of these people on Youtube that have followed this lady and an interview. She just baffles with BS and tells us what anyone who pays attention already knows. I just get complete used car salesman from this lady.:don't    know2:

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I don't know, just listening to some of these people on Youtube that have followed this lady and an interview. She just baffles with BS and tells us what anyone who pays attention already knows. I just get complete used car salesman from this lady.

all high beta stocks are story stocks -- ALWAYS have great stories

high beta as a sector = epic booms and busts - the 'rockstar' of the day is just the manager that takes the most risk - they always pay the price on the downside

it's a great sector for multi-decade investing -- add on the crashes, cut back when the things go stupid high

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ1oOspKLvAhWGK80KHeUmCaAQxfQBCDMwAA&url=https://www.barrons.com/articles/ark-innovation-falls-23-in-two-weeks-here-s-what-to-watch-51615030200&usg=AOvVaw1ifx-yQZOwlB_lfXovBesQ

ARK Innovation Falls 23% In Two Weeks

It’s been another bad week for investors in ARK exchange-traded funds. The flagship and largest of the seven—the $21 billion ARK Innovation (ARKK)—is down 25% from its peak on Feb. 12. It dropped 20% in just 12 trading days

.....Morningstar vice president of research John Rekenthaler.......“These are highly aggressive, high-beta stocks.”

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
the 'flagship' fund down approx 29 percent over last 15 trading days

from here, it will have to increase approx 50 percent to recoup the losses

Last edited:

Mujahid

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Good thing I had already put my money into silver. haha

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Good thing I had already put my money into silver. haha

indeed

it's getting so bloody for the high beta chasers that i'm starting to look for ideas in the sector - for poss purchases if they get another leg (or two) down

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
ARKX to begin trading tomorrow. (Nutz... I am completely tied up in PSLV at the moment.) Probably going to be a rocket ride before the price settles down to something reasonable (if that even exists anymore in this market).

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Buying this SPAC today, highly likely it will be included in ARKX.
Since it's trading just above $10 SPAC floor, there is very little risk and could get a big pop when ARKX goes live.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
OK, so I decided to eat my PSLV loss on 50% of my position in order to go into ARKX this morning. If there is a decent pop I might roll some of it back into PSLV since silver is getting crushed. I still believe the silver short will have to unwind with enough demand for delivery.

BTW... I SUCK at market timing. Economics is completely counterintuitive, and fundamentals mean nothing in this market. DYODD.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
In at 20.46. We will see how this plays out.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Cathie Wood really seems to know how to pull money in to help prop up her old investments. Seems like there was a name for that type of system. :ponder:

How much Tesla will ArkX buy? Just 5% of the assets, 10%, or more? I'll bet 10%.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Cathie Wood really seems to know how to pull money in to help prop up her old investments. Seems like there was a name for that type of system. :ponder:

How much Tesla will ArkX buy? Just 5% of the assets, 10%, or more? I'll bet 10%.
No Tesla in ARKX.
But one of largest positions in ARKX is PRNT, her 3d printing etf, so your point is on target.
TSLA likely to miss on deliveries this quarter, reporting soon.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
No Tesla in ARKX.
But one of largest positions in ARKX is PRNT, her 3d printing etf, so your point is on target.
TSLA likely to miss on deliveries this quarter, reporting soon.

Tesla would actually make some sense. Although, I guess Tesla owns nothing of Space X other than some name recognition.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Tesla would actually make some sense. Although, I guess Tesla owns nothing of Space X other than some name recognition.
Yeah, no ownership. SpaceX do share talent, engineering and materials, for example the specific steel alloy designed for SpaceX rockets is used in Cybertruck.
One of the 3D printing companies actually does make parts for Spacex.

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
i heard tesla makes a good part of their revenue selling carbon credits - which are limited in number

you guys heard anything about that?

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
i heard tesla makes a good part of their revenue selling carbon credits - which are limited in number

you guys heard anything about that?

Basically in Europe automakers pay a penalty if they don't make enough "clean" cars, according to whatever bureaucratic standards they set. Don't want to make electric cars? Pay somebody else to make electric cars.
FIAT-Chrysler is the primary source of those regulatory credits for Tesla, maybe under $2B for 2020, while total revenue was over $30B (rising at close to 30% a year), so it's not insignificant, but also not make-or-break issue for Tesla. Will be less and less important over time.
The way I figure, "hey, you want to pay me $2B a year to build factories because you don't want to invest in new tech? show me the money"

Also worth noting that most other automakers get $7500 federal credit for electric vehicles in US, which Tesla has not gotten for some time - though that may change under Bidet's infrastructure plan.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
So, everybody still on board with this lady? I hope not. Her ties to the Hedge Fund that blew up, Bill Hwang, as he helped her seed the ETF's. Then after watching someone like UTube "star" Meet Kevin all over in a weird worship of her I am even more worried.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Very weird trading today and I think (just complete speculation) but it seems to center on this lady and her funds. The DOW is up huge and the Nasdaq is down big. ARKK is down 4+% and every one of the largest holdings is starting to tank. I think there are problems here, be very careful.

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Ooff ta. If she really was in the "know" she'd have been selling some of her stocks. If TSLA tanks this is going to be really ugly.

1638570313031.png

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Ooff ta. If she really was in the "know" she'd have been selling some of her stocks. If TSLA tanks this is going to be really ugly.

View attachment 235395
Tesla is around $1015... More than 15% off the $1200+ highs. But still hasn't filled the gap up at $900 after last quarters earnings.

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
before cathie wood there was ken heebner - made his name the same way - going all-in on the highest beta names in the market

https://www.investmentnews.com/legendary-fund-manager-goes-from-penthouse-to-outhouse-45355

Kenneth Heebner ranked as America’s No. 1 stock picker before losing his touch and most of his main fund’s assets. The 71-year-old manager, at the bottom of his peer group for the fourth year in five, hasn’t lost his swagger.

Heebner, whose CGM Focus Fund (CGMFX) topped all diversified U.S. stock mutual funds in the decade through 2007, lost an annual average of 6.3 percent in the five years through June 26, trailing 96 percent of the same group, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. CGM Focus has been in the bottom 6 percent of the large-cap growth category every year since 2008, with the exception of 2010, when it beat 66 percent of peers.

as expected -- cathie wood is the new ken heebner

utter destruction in less than a year - the 'flagship' fund has been cut in half while the market has risen in same time frame

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Ark fund is on my buy list - after it drops 75-90% - and i'm confident that it will when this bubble completely pops. Keep your powder dry.
Currently it's about $69 / sh. It has a LOT further to drop, in my opinion. This is a long term play. Once it reaches bottom, it will take several years, maybe even 5-10 years before it comes back. Tech / growth stocks will have to become 'hot' again, and that cycle can take a long time to come back once it's out of favor. Do your own due diligence. This is my best guess of what will happen. YMMV.

ARK Innovation ETF continues to drop from its high of $156.58 nearly a year ago,
as the stock has dropped nearly 57%.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Currently it's about $69 / sh. It has a LOT further to drop, in my opinion.
I am a "value investor" as opposed to a "growth investor". To me, the first, last, and only thing is earnings over price. I am not so rigid as to insist on today's P/E, as a strong future earnings can overcome today's figures. But the fundamentals must make sense. An exit strategy depending on the greater fool is unacceptable to me. It might work, but I won't get behind it.

I will look for companies that actually make life better for people (probably using new products), rather than those who are takers (giving now useful value). The latter include those who sell advertising. How **** is our society when advertising expenses is a major part of our national product ("expense")?

I welcome the day when people can buy and sell with full knowledge of a product and without the interference (and extra costs) of the advertising scum lizards.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Apparently this lady did an interview on CNBC today and let's just say it did not go well. I did buy a put on ARKK yesterday. Should have done that a while ago but this seemed to be the cheapest hedge against a wave c Nasdaq drop.

Just go look at the Yahoo comments. Me thinks the average buyer is not happy.

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Apparently this lady did an interview on CNBC today and let's just say it did not go well. I did buy a put on ARKK yesterday. Should have done that a while ago but this seemed to be the cheapest hedge against a wave c Nasdaq drop.

This moron got promoted and glorified as a great thinker and investor because of "yay, girl power!"

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score

As the saying goes, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes.” What we’re seeing today, in my view, is an echo of the tech bubble of the late 1990s – a rhyme. And it’s not music to my ears.

I’m hearing otherwise apparently savvy market mavens speak the four most dangerous words in investing: “This time is different.”

And here’s another fascinating blast from the past: Many of the fund managers who put up terrific numbers in the late 1990s, only to crash and burn in the 2000-02 meltdown, are back at the helm of mutual funds and other investment vehicles (or never left) – and not doing badly in the current market.

I had thought these fellows would have found another line of work. But I was browsing investment headlines the other day when I stumbled across several familiar names.

Consider:

• Ryan Jacob, a young internet-stock phenom, launched his own fund, Jacob Internet Fund (JAMFX), in late 1999. Jacob still runs the fund – and it has returned an annualized 11.7% over the past 15 years. But if you had bought it when it launched and held it through July 8, you would have lost a cumulative 13.9%. That’s thanks in large part to a breathtaking 95.8% loss during the 2000-02 bear market. (All returns in this article are through July 8 unless otherwise indicated.)
  • Garrett Van Wagoner, former manager of Van Wagoner Emerging Growth, steered the fund to a magnificent return of 291% in 1999 – higher than any other mutual fund. But from its 1995 launch through 2008, when Van Wagoner stepped down, it lost an annualized 7.8%, or a cumulative 62.3%. During his last 10 years at the helm, the fund posted some of the worst returns among actively managed stock mutual funds. Van Wagoner now runs a corporate venture capital fund, VW Ventures.
  • Kevin Landis ran several technology funds that soared during the Internet boom years but did terribly in the Internet bust years. Over the past 10 years, Firsthand Technology Opportunities (TEFQX) has returned a stellar annualized 20.0%. However, since inception in late September 1999 through July 8, the fund has only returned an annualized 4.0%, or a cumulative 115.7%. You can thank a 91.5% tumble during the 2000-02 bear market for that.

EO 11110

(you) have a message
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

i listened to it. message == trust the plan

everybody is wrong but her

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
Currently it's about $69 / sh. It has a LOT further to drop, in my opinion. This is a long term play. Once it reaches bottom, it will take several years, maybe even 5-10 years before it comes back. Tech / growth stocks will have to become 'hot' again, and that cycle can take a long time to come back once it's out of favor. Do your own due diligence. This is my best guess of what will happen. YMMV.

ARK Innovation ETF continues to drop from its high of $156.58 nearly a year ago,
as the stock has dropped nearly 57%.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd..... we're down to about $64.50 / sh today

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score

As the saying goes, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes.” What we’re seeing today, in my view, is an echo of the tech bubble of the late 1990s – a rhyme. And it’s not music to my ears.

I’m hearing otherwise apparently savvy market mavens speak the four most dangerous words in investing: “This time is different.”

And here’s another fascinating blast from the past: Many of the fund managers who put up terrific numbers in the late 1990s, only to crash and burn in the 2000-02 meltdown, are back at the helm of mutual funds and other investment vehicles (or never left) – and not doing badly in the current market.

I had thought these fellows would have found another line of work. But I was browsing investment headlines the other day when I stumbled across several familiar names.

Consider:

• Ryan Jacob, a young internet-stock phenom, launched his own fund, Jacob Internet Fund (JAMFX), in late 1999. Jacob still runs the fund – and it has returned an annualized 11.7% over the past 15 years. But if you had bought it when it launched and held it through July 8, you would have lost a cumulative 13.9%. That’s thanks in large part to a breathtaking 95.8% loss during the 2000-02 bear market. (All returns in this article are through July 8 unless otherwise indicated.)
  • Garrett Van Wagoner, former manager of Van Wagoner Emerging Growth, steered the fund to a magnificent return of 291% in 1999 – higher than any other mutual fund. But from its 1995 launch through 2008, when Van Wagoner stepped down, it lost an annualized 7.8%, or a cumulative 62.3%. During his last 10 years at the helm, the fund posted some of the worst returns among actively managed stock mutual funds. Van Wagoner now runs a corporate venture capital fund, VW Ventures.
  • Kevin Landis ran several technology funds that soared during the Internet boom years but did terribly in the Internet bust years. Over the past 10 years, Firsthand Technology Opportunities (TEFQX) has returned a stellar annualized 20.0%. However, since inception in late September 1999 through July 8, the fund has only returned an annualized 4.0%, or a cumulative 115.7%. You can thank a 91.5% tumble during the 2000-02 bear market for that.
Key point is that if you bought these funds at the top you lost almost everything. If you bought near the bottom when all hope was lost, you had some nice returns over the next 10+ years. That's why i'm keeping an eye on ARKK ETF