• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Arkansas plant tackling ammo shortage

Scorpio

для продажи слегка подержанный
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Arkansas plant tackling ammo shortage​

35e3a500f77f8e84147546855c1ec830

Worth Sparkman
Wed, October 27, 2021, 6:07 AM

Hunters seeing higher prices for ammunition can place at least some blame on the production of electric cars and the U.S. Mint making more coins.
  • Chris Metz, CEO of Vista Outdoor Inc., which operates four U.S. ammunition plants, told Axios his company competes with those industries for copper.
Driving the news: Raw material costs aside, Metz said ammunition availability should be better in the not-too-distant future because a plant in Lonoke that makes Remington ammunition is back in high production mode.

• Last year, about 450 people worked there. Now it employs 1,050.
  • It's running two and sometimes three shifts a day, six days a week and management is looking to fill another 100 positions.

Flashback: Minnesota-based Vista Outdoor acquired the plant last year for $81 million.
  • Vista also operates ammunition plants in Idaho, Minnesota, and Oregon.
The intrigue: At about 1 million square feet, the Lonoke location is the third-largest ammunition plant in the world.
  • A shortage of ammunition for all calibers is largely due to a rise in demand for firearms, with an estimated 23 million guns sold in the U.S. last year.
What they're saying: Mike Olivia of the National Sports Shooting Foundation recently placed part of the ammunition shortage on the Remington plant but noted the industry is making more than ever.
  • Metz couldn't say exactly how many rounds the Vista plants will produce in the next year, just that it would be "tens of millions."

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I was reading about recent backwardation in commodities:

Crude oil, coal, Cu, Ni, and even PMs.

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have been seeing more in stock lately. Prices not dropping much. Hopefully next year.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hunters seeing higher prices for ammunition can place at least some blame on the production of electric cars and the U.S. Mint making more coins.
  • Chris Metz, CEO of Vista Outdoor Inc., which operates four U.S. ammunition plants, told Axios his company competes with those industries for copper.
They all like to blame raw materials' cost because it sells- but to only those without a calculator.

The actual cost of the copper in a 9mm round is under a penny.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I got a lot more ammo than people who need lead vaccination.

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
What ammo shortage? There's an ammo shortage?

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I work at one of the plants. I am here posting rather then working some over time because of supply chain issues. I fear total shutdown within a year tho everyone there is more optimistic.

Can you be specific regarding which components are lacking?

The OP says Cu.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It's easy for them to stage phony "supply chain shortages". The problem is that the ammo is not making it to the shelves of stores. Most likely it's mostly going to the government or Israel.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
So... If they are making more ammo that means less primers and powder on the market for Schlubs like myself...... Dont you guys have enough already?

andial

Stable young person
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Can you be specific regarding which components are lacking?

The OP says Cu.
We're talking the raw materials to make the cases and primors. I work in assembly so we are still working with what was already made, they got some stock piles, but the departments where they start the process are, so far as I know low on work, the people who source the materials are having a harder and harder time getting what we all need. I am not a spoksperson for the company tho so take it with a grain of salt. I am only relating my interpretations of some comments I have heard.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
It's easy for them to stage phony "supply chain shortages". The problem is that the ammo is not making it to the shelves of stores. Most likely it's mostly going to the government or Israel.
But it would not be the ammo maker staging the shortages if that is going on it would be the producers and shippers of the raw materials. It's not the ammo makers. I got hired to put into service an additional production line, Now they are talking about adding yet another and needing another 35 workers hired to get it on line.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
But it would not be the ammo maker staging the shortages if that is going on it would be the producers and shippers of the raw materials. It's not the ammo makers. I got hired to put into service an additional production line, Now they are talking about adding yet another and needing another 35 workers hired to get it on line.
How would you know whether they are lying about the shortages or where the end product is going? Do you assume CCI only has a profit motive? There has never been anything to prevent the banking elite from buying up the ammo companies, the same has already happened to most of the firearms manufacturers.

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
How would you know whether they are lying about the shortages or where the end product is going? Do you assume CCI only has a profit motive? There has never been anything to prevent the banking elite from buying up the ammo companies, the same has already happened to most of the firearms manufacturers.
I might not know but the stock is in the yard and in the warehouses to see. There would be talk if something fishy was going on. From what I heard the companies that sell the raw materials are short staffed too making it even more challenging.

Scorpio

для продажи слегка подержанный
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
As Vlad states,

corporations are having trouble getting raw materials to keep manufacturing lines operating,
I know of a CEO in a large one, well known to all here, who a year ago told his purchasing people to load up,
do what it takes to get the products needed,

sending him way over budget on inventory carry and flow, order quantities issues, shipping issues, etc.
but because he was extremely proactive, his assembly lines are still humming along

with Remington being in bankruptcy, there was no one tending the tiller

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Not when false premises are disseminated to explain the shortages.
Well that is another issue out of the control of all the companies that rely on the supply chain. I believe there is a conspiracy to take down the supply chain and economy but the ammunition companies are not in on it. They would not be expanding the work force and production lines if they were. Every week I go in it's more band news. I am off an extra day for both thanksgiving and Xmas as they are shutting down. I don't have the PTO to cover it either. Maybe one day holiday pay leaving me short for the three extra days I don't have the PTO for. If the trend continues I expect shutdowns mid week and not just for the holidays.

All over time is gone I need a second job now and if it all goes down the investments they made in new production capacity means they made a mistake. New people coming in all the time. Just ran into a former co worker from hospital, been there three weeks. Got tired of the politics at the hospital. They are all going WOKE.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Well that is another issue out of the control of all the companies that rely on the supply chain. I believe there is a conspiracy to take down the supply chain and economy but the ammunition companies are not in on it. They would not be expanding the work force and production lines if they were. Every week I go in it's more band news. I am off an extra day for both thanksgiving and Xmas as they are shutting down. I don't have the PTO to cover it either. Maybe one day holiday pay leaving me short for the three extra days I don't have the PTO for. If the trend continues I expect shutdowns mid week and not just for the holidays.

All over time is gone I need a second job now and if it all goes down the investments they made in new production capacity means they made a mistake. New people coming in all the time. Just ran into a former co worker from hospital, been there three weeks. Got tired of the politics at the hospital. They are all going WOKE.
How would you know whether your company has enough lead and brass? If you go by what they tell you and they're involved in false shortages, how would you know?

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
As Vlad states,

corporations are having trouble getting raw materials to keep manufacturing lines operating,
I know of a CEO in a large one, well known to all here, who a year ago told his purchasing people to load up,
do what it takes to get the products needed,

sending him way over budget on inventory carry and flow, order quantities issues, shipping issues, etc.
but because he was extremely proactive, his assembly lines are still humming along

with Remington being in bankruptcy, there was no one tending the tiller
Sounds as if that CEO has his ear to the rails.

I know PhD's who insist that if it isn't 'peer reviewed' it's nonsense.

To me 'peer reviews' are the Achilles heel of the 'educated beyond their intelligence' type of people.

Take the jab for instance... peer reviewed studies haven't been truthful (the Lancet), yet PhD's continue to insist it has to be 'peer reviewed' else it's nonsense!

We lay people have a totally different viewpoint. We suck at the teat of anecdotal knowledge and rumors on the street.

So far, using the jab as our proof, we've been on point and the highly educated have been misled by the PTB, yet they still insist... peer review is God.

Tell them about the VAERS reports, the Georgia Guidestones, B&M Gates Foundation, Gate's wanting to reduce the population using the jab, GAVI, The Great Reset, WHO, and a host of 'other' non peer reviewed NGO's and they turn a deaf ear.

As I said, 'peer review studies' are the Achilles heel of the 'educated.

That CEO is a good leader IMO.

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Mercury fulminate - There's none to be found.
I thought that was the old "corrosive" primer compound. Isn't the "non-corrosive" primer lead-something?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I loaded up on .22lr for 10 cents and some 00 buckshot at 64 cents.