• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

As an engineer, here's how I look at the idea of pumping water from Mississippi to the West

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Fuck those cocksuckers in CA and lib western states. They gave all their resources to illegals. FUCK THEM.
At the same time, a lot of our food is grown there in the winter time.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
At the same time, a lot of our food is grown there in the winter time.
We'll grow it somewhere else.....on the plains of the mid west perhaps! Mother Nature will reclaim her desert and we'll get by without them. We should build a wall to keep them from spreading their cancerous policies east

Last edited:

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Better than bringing them here I guess...

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
We'll grow it somewhere else.....on the plains of the mid west! Mother Nature will reclaim her desert and we'll get by without them. We should build a wall to keep them from spreading their cancerous policies east
the east coast is just as bad as the west coast.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no engineer but I would think desalinization of seawater from the Pacific Ocean would be a better option. Build a nuke plant dedicated to providing the juice for the desalinization plant.

Last edited:

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
We'll grow it somewhere else.....on the plains of the mid west! Mother Nature will reclaim her desert and we'll get by without them. We should build a wall to keep them from spreading their cancerous policies east
You are going to grow crops that require sun and warm weather on the plains of the midwest during winter? I'm not so sure about that.

the_shootist

Checked out! Good luck!
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
You are going to grow crops that require sun and warm weather on the plains of the midwest during winter? I'm not so sure about that.
The southeast then...lots of sunshine and warm weather. My point is we can make due without them. They're FAR more trouble then they're worth

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no engineer but I would think desalinization of seawater from the Pacific Ocean would be a better option. Build a nuke plant dedicated to providing the juice for the desalinization plant.
Volume is the stopper on that one. Semi-permeable membranes cannot approach the flow of rainwater, rivers, snow melt.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Build a nuke plant dedicated to providing the juice for the desalinization plant.
Better yet, use an existing one on a fault line. BTW it takes about 10 years to build a plant.

San Onofre sits on an active earthquake fault, in an area where there is a record of past tsunamis. It is close to Interstate 5, the railroad line that Amtrak runs on, and the Marines' Camp Pendleton. Unlike the case of Fukushima, there are no federal or state evacuation plans for a disaster at San Onofre.Aug 15, 2018

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Cost and damage from concentrated salt water disposal limits still make it a "not-quite-ready" solution.

Although it does have its sooper good side: The water is wonderful. I have a personal Reverse Osmosis setup.

I pump three gallons to get one gallon. In my case (by stone luck) it actually helps the environment: The well water here is heavy in iron and sulfur. When it gets pumped out, it turns out the "waste" water works wonders for my mango trees -- makes them grow at an astonishing rate. Same for eucalyptus: I planted a seed 22 years ago and the bole of the eucalyptus tree is five feet THICK. o_O

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Most of Colorado's water goes west...

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Better yet, use an existing one on a fault line. BTW it takes about 10 years to build a plant.

San Onofre sits on an active earthquake fault, in an area where there is a record of past tsunamis. It is close to Interstate 5, the railroad line that Amtrak runs on, and the Marines' Camp Pendleton. Unlike the case of Fukushima, there are no federal or state evacuation plans for a disaster at San Onofre.Aug 15, 2018

Where's Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas when you need them.

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score

Would never get approval from the EIR radicals.

BarnacleBob

Exoriare aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor
Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Volume is the stopper on that one. Semi-permeable membranes cannot approach the flow of rainwater, rivers, snow melt.

Where's Jane Fonda and Michael Douglas when you need them.

Thats big stopper in all of these ideas, concepts and schemes... the shear volume of water required & needed:

"The proposed flow of 250,000 gallons/second represents a lot of water. Converting it into a more normal engineering unit, this would represent about 32,000 cubic feet/second (CFS)."

Uh hu... how many desalinisation plants would be required to produce the above volumes?

Indeed, volume required & needed is the big stopper.... along with the absurd idea pumping these huge volumes of water to elevations of 1926 to 3700 feet....

"One big challenge of the California Aqueduct is pumping water to a height of 1,926 feet, which requires massive pumping equipment. Our Mississippi diversion scheme has a net difference in elevation of 3,700 feet from New Orleans to Lake Powell, or a terminus nearly twice as high as the highest point in the California Aqueduct. This last difference is especially significant because the fall from 1,926 feet to near sea level could, in theory, be used to generate some power to offset the pumping power requirement. That option is not fully available in pumping to 3,700 feet."[/B]

andial

Stable Republican
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Well despite this silly state infighting over dollars for water it's great to see that the leaders of every single one of our divergent states agree more money and people are needed for war in Ukraine.

Headlne:
A bipartisan group from the US Congress on a junket to Kiev have called for the Biden Administration to begin sending US military "advisors" to Ukraine " right away"

wastrel

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well despite this silly state infighting over dollars for water it's great to see that the leaders of every single one of our divergent states agree more money and people are needed for war in Ukraine.

Headlne:
A bipartisan group from the US Congress on a junket to Kiev have called for the Biden Administration to begin sending US military "advisors" to Ukraine " right away"
Reclassify the "group from the US Congress" as military advisors, and leave their asses there in Ukraine. Problem solved.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Thats big stopper in all of these ideas, concepts and schemes... the shear volume of water required & needed:

"The proposed flow of 250,000 gallons/second represents a lot of water. Converting it into a more normal engineering unit, this would represent about 32,000 cubic feet/second (CFS)."

Uh hu... how many desalinisation plants would be required to produce the above volumes?

Indeed, volume required & needed is the big stopper.... along with the absurd idea pumping these huge volumes of water to elevations of 1926 to 3700 feet....

"One big challenge of the California Aqueduct is pumping water to a height of 1,926 feet, which requires massive pumping equipment. Our Mississippi diversion scheme has a net difference in elevation of 3,700 feet from New Orleans to Lake Powell, or a terminus nearly twice as high as the highest point in the California Aqueduct. This last difference is especially significant because the fall from 1,926 feet to near sea level could, in theory, be used to generate some power to offset the pumping power requirement. That option is not fully available in pumping to 3,700 feet."[/B]

How many desalinisation plants would be required to produce the above volumes?

The answer:

Desalination by country

There are approximately 16,000 operational desalination plants, located across 177 countries, which generate an estimated 95 million m3/day of freshwater

It doesnt look like desalination is even a logical or rational economic consideration. The real answer is much more rain and less water usage.... no real viable answers exist at this time.

Desalination:

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

The answer:

Desalination by country

There are approximately 16,000 operational desalination plants, located across 177 countries, which generate an estimated 95 million m3/day of freshwater

It doesnt look like desalination is even a logical or rational economic consideration. The real answer is much more rain and less water usage.... no real viable answers exist at this time.

Desalination:

How does the planet get "much more rain?" Conventional cloud seeding has all kinds of side effects and unintended consequences.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Would never get approval from the EIR radicals.
I assume you mean evironmentalist radicals?
When I lived on Bonaire (an island in the carib with less than 20" of rain/year) all the drinking water on the island was produced via desalination.

And that is a country committed to having a healthy environment. Entire coast has been a marine sanctuary since the 70s.
So while you are probably correct in that they wouldn't allow it, their reasoning would be pure bullshit.

FoundingFathers

Founder
Founding Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
By 2030 this Country will be split into at least two if not more parts.

andial

Stable Republican
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

The answer:

Desalination by country

Desalination:

Correct the price of these desalination plants is too dam high! It's not like we can just come up with 60 billion dollars out of our asses like we did for Ukraine.

EO 11110

stop (them) now
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
pipelines are crazy talk. everybody knows pipelines are too expensive

1658872018955.png

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
By 2030 this Country will be split into at least two if not more parts.

I hope so. There are two alternatives to a National Divorce, one being a civil war, the other being the US turning into a Marxist tyranny. Wouldn’t like either one of those.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
The Wonthaggi desal plant in Victoria would be #11 on that list with a 550,000m3/day capacity.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
the problem is how they are using the water, not if there is enough of it

That's a problem in Victoria where for some reason the muppets along the Murray River have decided to grow almonds, easily the most water intensive crop at 4 litres of water to grow ONE almond.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
My brother just retired as a Nuclear Consultant, Operator Instructor. He said the Saudis went from design to completion in 4 yrs. The Saudis energy usage drops significantly as the Sun goes down and the power is redirected from the city/country power system to running the desalinization plant.
Most of the waste brine is generated at night and pumped out to sea much less during the day since the plant's power is reduced for the needs of the day.
Here is the states it takes 10 yrs to get the plans for a reactor site approved before the first shovel of dirt is moved - Regulations from several alphabet agencies cause this waste of time.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Cut off the golf courses first, not that I dislike the game of golf just the people who play golf.
Ya can't trust golfers. They don't trust each other, and the reason their pencils DO NOT have erasers. :D

Uglytruth

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Mother Lode
Reaction score
human useage is a small percentage of the current burn rate
The homeles are doing their part. They dont' shower & crap on the street saving all those flushes.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Ya can't trust golfers. They don't trust each other, and the reason their pencils DO NOT have erasers. :D

Ya'll gettin kinda rough with golfers, ya think? :)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I assume you mean evironmentalist radicals?
When I lived on Bonaire (an island in the carib with less than 20" of rain/year) all the drinking water on the island was produced via desalination.

And that is a country committed to having a healthy environment. Entire coast has been a marine sanctuary since the 70s.
So while you are probably correct in that they wouldn't allow it, their reasoning would be pure bullshit.
True dat about Bonaire. There is a single spring in Rincon, where the slaves would walk to every Sunday. The town was founded in the 1500's IIRC. So today, with a genuine population, they have a desalinization plant. The island is a desert, actually... but beautiful. Fences are made of cactus.

Because Bonaire does not allow any sort of traps, spears, nets, whatever, the reef is unbelievable. I have movies where you can identify the diver who is 100' underwater 100'-plus away.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
True dat about Bonaire. There is a single spring in Rincon, where the slaves would walk to every Sunday. The town was founded in the 1500's IIRC. So today, with a genuine population, they have a desalinization plant. The island is a desert, actually... but beautiful. Fences are made of cactus.

Because Bonaire does not allow any sort of traps, spears, nets, whatever, the reef is unbelievable. I have movies where you can identify the diver who is 100' underwater 100'-plus away.

Always wanted to surf Rincon... had about 8 friends that lived there for 10 years... 3 of them still do. Back in the day they were shaping & glassing boards for sale....

6a00d8341c91bb53ef013480ba6f00970c-pi.jpg

Last edited:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
TMI - "BARF"

The problem I suspect with desal which is basically distillation is the removal of necessary minerals that a healthy body needs.... I wonder do the desal plants add minerals to the water they produce?

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Desal as I understand it uses either evaporatoin or reverse osmosis, so probably no minerals.

The thing about toilet to tap is that its already widely used. Your local water treatment plant screens out the solids, adds a ton of chlorine, and then dumps it in the river for the next town downstream to use as drinking water.

The only difference is that the next town from San Diego is Tijuanna, so why not just keep the waste water for San Diego residents?

If you think that's gross, don't look into where those screened out solids go. I'll give you a hint: they are high in nitrogen. If you are curious, jump ahead to 13:23

Last edited: