• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Automatic Knives

Morpheus

Seeker
Seeker
Been trying to get my hands on an automatic knife, Benchmade AFO, but federal laws prohibit the sale or transfer of automatic knives except in very few states unless your're in law enforcement. Really stupid laws. I have a spring assisted knife, totally legal, which is as fast if not faster than an automatic knife but I cannot own or possess an automatic knife in my state. I mean, it's easier to buy a gun than an automatic knife.

While I subscribe to a literal interpretation of the Second Amendment ("shall not be infringed") and understand it covers "arms" (including bladed arms) not just firearms, I am not sure what the compelling practical reason is to have / use a switchblade / automatic knife.

Zero Tolerance (Kershaw) flipper-based non-assisted knives are plenty fast opening. I'm thinking of the 0200. And the 0300 or 0350, A/Os, are even easier to get open lightning fast.

Is it just a matter of "I want it" (not a bad thing), or is there some practical reason I don't understand?

Been trying to get my hands on an automatic knife, Benchmade AFO, but federal laws prohibit the sale or transfer of automatic knives except in very few states unless your're in law enforcement.
Military, as well.

Really stupid laws. I have a spring assisted knife, totally legal, which is as fast if not faster than an automatic knife but I cannot own or possess an automatic knife in my state. I mean, it's easier to buy a gun than an automatic knife.
What state are you in?

Morpheus

Seeker
Seeker
While I subscribe to a literal interpretation of the Second Amendment ("shall not be infringed") and understand it covers "arms" (including bladed arms) not just firearms, I am not sure what the compelling practical reason is to have / use a switchblade / automatic knife.

Is it just a matter of "I want it" (not a bad thing), or is there some practical reason I don't understand?
Personal preference. Some people like automatic firearms where as a revolver is more practical and jams less. But my point is that concealed firearms are OK in most states but an automatic knife is not. Does that makes sense to you?

Personal preference. Some people like automatic firearms where as a revolver is more practical and jams less. But my point is that concealed firearms are OK in most states but an automatic knife is not. Does that makes sense to you?
Both marijuana and switchblades were "outlawed" (they cannot be lawfully "outlawed" because of the God-given right secured by the Second Amendment) largely because the Federal regime's goons skeered the (mostly White) public into thinking that they were "magic instruments of the Devil" to be used against the White population by minorities.

Most of the malum prohibitum "laws" of this country make no "sense," unless one recognizes they are for control of the population. Concealed firearms have a massive registration & "licensure" bureaucracy that was never present for bladed weapons, and, there is a psychological prejudice towards blades because they are generally silent.

Want to know something else bizarre? California is one of the few states where carrying a concealed switchblade is legal...but only if the blade is under 2 inches!

Last edited:
A lot of states have a loophole at gun and knife shows that allow for it.
While I do not give an iota of a sheet about the ideological meaning of the Federal regime's "laws" about switchblades, anyone contemplating buying a switchblade as a "non-permitted" person (cop or military) must understand that the BATF and other pigs scope these gun shows, and if you are caught even attempting to buy a switchblade, both you and the seller will be put in chains for felony Federal and/or state statute violations.

extremist

You'd really have to check your local laws. Some states allow possession, but not transport into or out of the state, limiting you to in-state manufacturers. Some places have exceptions for EMTs. CA has the 2-inch rule. If you have only one hand, you may be in luck as well. (I'm guessing this also applies if you have no hands, but then a knife wouldn't be particularly useful.)

Those of us blessed with an opposable thumb don't need an automatic knife.

:laugh_m:

honu5050

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
it only proves the govt is filled with lames . what makes a switchblade any more lethal or quicker then kitchen knives ? "nothing" ! in fact most auto's are flimsy junk . more people are stuck and or killed with a common stake knife then a spring opened knife .

Mike

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Mike, you work on commission?
Hi, no! I have no relationship with anyone or thing I recommend. Except as a customer or fan etc. Regards, Mike........... PS also sold by Amazon. Can't be that bad

Last edited:

Mike

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Hi, they sell automatic Benchmade knives which was asked about in the original post. I'm not a lawyer but as far as I can tell they have no restrictions on where they ship. Regards, Mike

Thornapple

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
While I agree that the law against them is stupid, does having an auto knife really matter? If you've ever used one or had one, you probably would pick just about anything else. Half the time when you hit the button the blade doesn't lock into place, then you have to grab it manually with the other hand anyway and lock it into place yourself. If one handed use is a must get a small fixed blade knife, one like Book posted, or a butterfly and call it a day. Auto knives sound a lot cooler than they actually are. Better to get something low key that looks like a work knife that you might have in a toolbox, easier to explain if necessary. Thats my 2 cents

Hi, they sell automatic Benchmade knives which was asked about in the original post. I'm not a lawyer but as far as I can tell they have no restrictions on where they ship. Regards, Mike
I've done business with Blade HQ, and they are a responsible and respectable dealer. Both Federal statutes and the Benchmade retailer agreement prohibit "free sale" of such knives. If they were to sell even one auto to the "wrong" person, it's game over for their business.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Argentium

Midas Member
Midas Member
I've bought from them before. Good outfit, fair pricing and quick shipment.

I'm glad he posted the link, I had lost it!

cd120

Seeker
Seeker
The fed's only BAN interstate commerce of autos to civilians. And using the USPS for shipment is banned.

Cops and military are exempt from the shipping laws.

In a nutshell you can buy a Benchmade Auto legally in Oregon as they are made there and not shipped across state lines. Same with Microtech in FL.

I was an internet dealer for a long while and now the laws pretty well.

Most gun/knife shows will always have a few autos for sale. Just this past weekend I saw a few for sale. But on the quiet side.

And I know a LOT of online dealers only say they wont ship them, but will without any issues and even know one dealer who shipped via USPS.

Your state laws are important as well as for use or possession.

I sold Autos for a long while. Mostly useless fun factor to them. I'd prefer a good manual with a thumb stud as evidenced my my Microtech Mini Socom in my pocket...

Morpheus

Seeker
Seeker
cd, how's the lockup on the auto vs the spring assisted vs the manuals? I'm not talking about the cheap autos but top of the line like microtech and benchmade. Some guys argue that manual blades have the best lockup. Just wanted to get your expect opinion.

cd120

Seeker
Seeker
cd, how's the lockup on the auto vs the spring assisted vs the manuals? I'm not talking about the cheap autos but top of the line like microtech and benchmade. Some guys argue that manual blades have the best lockup. Just wanted to get your expect opinion.
Lock up is great on the ones I've played with (BM, MT and others). No lock up issues that I recall. Though i had a manual BM Endura that had a crappy lock up, sent it back, and the next one I received was the same.

Like I was saying, they are fun and novel. I use an old style stiletto as a letter opener.

still afloat

Seeker
Seeker

Zero Tolerance (Kershaw) flipper-based non-assisted knives are plenty fast opening. I'm thinking of the 0200. And the 0300 or 0350, A/Os, are even easier to get open lightning fast.

I say practical reason
I have use of only one arm ,I have 2 of those evil illegal knifes .
1 gypsy double edge butterfly knife made by parker frost
1 side open switchblade , looks like something grand dad would have carried years ago only with a switch on the side , most people who see it thinks the switch on the side is to hang it on your belt they have no ideal its a switch blade.
Use to carry one or the other every day but havent carried either one in years.Yes I believe I should have the right to carry them but I know for sure I don't have the funds to try and prove that right in a court of law.

spathatos

Seeker
Seeker
Save the money and buy a handgun. Yeah I understand they are 'cool" (I have a couple Microtech OTF) but in reality will never beat a fixed blade. Enough of my useless two cents.

You can buy online and 'assume' the risk of shipping it to your house. You will have no warranty on the item unless you are military or LEO.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
When I was in the second grade a girl brought in an orange handled switchblace, her dad had been a paratrooper and it was issued to cut the lines if you got caught in a tree or something. It opened very slowly and was anything but menacing.

Of course, she would be jailed if she did that today.

Usc96

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I read my state's law at some time in the past and found it interesting that there was not only a LEOs and Military exemption, but there was also an exemption to one handed folks. An actual exemption to the law that makes sense.