• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Best traditional retirement account?

Anyone have any recommendations for a traditional retirement account? Have about as much faith in paper investments as the rest of you, but for reasons I'd rather not get into on a public forum, I find myself in need to get one started very soon. The last time I asked at my local bank, they said IRA or 401k or whatever it was, was basically treated like a CD and that it was paying <1%. At that point I said, why bother, but times are a changing (for me). Self employed BTW, no company option/ match, nothing like that. Anyone done any research?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Go to E-trade for a managed account with at least $100k. Otherwise I would buy S&P index ETFs and Berkshire Hathaway. Anything else is gambling and the house always wins in the long run.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I guess I'm the first one to post this...

Just give me your money. I promise to give you a nice looking piece of paper describing what your money could look like.

Don't give your money to someone else unless you receive something real in return.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
If you're self-employed, talk to your tax advisor and look at a SEP-IRA. As I understand it, you can put a significant portion of your earnings into it annually--much more than a regular IRA or 401K.

If you're looking for something "traditional", then I would look at either Fidelity or Vanguard. You could buy S&P funds/ETFs, Dividend ETFs, Bond ETFs, etc at low expense ratios, no loads and no transaction fees.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Gold, silver, cash, foreign currency (Swiss francs, Chinese Yuan), real estate, guns, ammo, food, preps in general--a lot of money? fine art--all kept at home. (and no cryptos)

Sorry, that's all I can come up with.

SC
I got the impression from the OP that he's looking for more traditional paper investments. Sounds like he already understands the risk but has a valid reason (taxes perhaps). Perhaps he already has those bases covered.

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I wouldnt go through a bank, they'll eat you up with fees at every load from my experience