• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Best Wireless Router For Streaming & Video Uploading?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Anybody have a favorite wireless router? I am thinking about a Linksys EA9500 or EA9400 because of the spec sheet and good reviews.

The Netgear X10 looks good too and so does the Asus u82. Also considering a Google mesh wifi, but coverage is not the problem. I am trying to max out speed.

I haven't played video games since 1980 and don't plan on it.

I mostly stream KODI and upload about 1GB of video each day for my business.

I subscribe to Xfinity cable internet. I also just bought a new 3.1 Motorola MB8600 modem.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I was thinking more of a tri-band to help future proof the system.

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I was thinking more of a tri-band to help future proof the system.
Ah, OK....well I don't really have a recommendation as I haven't tried any of the tri-bands yet. I'm going to hold off on tri-band myself because first/early generation technologies are usually crap anyway. I'll wait for the next new, faster, better, wicked awesome release after they've had time to work some of the bugs out.

bb28

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Speed is generally the least of your issues. Consider how fast your internet speed is and however fast that is is the maximum speed your WiFi for streaming video uploading will move. Unless you are closer to a Gigabit connection, pretty much any new WiFi system will be fine for you.

bb

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I was getting pop ups from Xfinity that I needed a new modem to take advantage of their new speeds, so I bought a new Motorola 3.1 DOCSIS. My upload speeds are slow even with hardwire ethernet. My current modem was state of the art in 2008. I can buy a new one and charge it to the business.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
etge
I was getting pop ups from Xfinity that I needed a new modem to take advantage of their new speeds, so I bought a new Motorola 3.1 DOCSIS. My upload speeds are slow even with hardwire ethernet. My current modem was state of the art in 2008. I can buy a new one and charge it to the business.
I didn't get popups, but when I went to a higher [faster] business tier at comcast I had to move on from my DOCSIS 3 modem. Lot more bonded channels than the old modem. If your upload speeds are slow, you need to look at what comcast says you should have. My experience with comcast is the ratio of download to upload speed is very big. I too wanted more speed for uploading, and I got an increase, but to get real speed uploading cost the big bucks around here with comcast.

I figure they will bring in the big speeds at a good price about the same time as I am dead.

I have the Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800, I picked it up around Christmas from Staples on sale for around a hundred, cheapest on the web at the time. Works great for streaming video. Happy with it, although my previous wireless router was fine as well. However, I always use a wired connection for uploading and downloading. The wireless cannot handle the maximum speed of my downloads, and I see no reason to clog up the wireless with uploads, as they tend to take a long time to complete if they are large.

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The X4S gets good reviews. I am looking for something newer, but the latest units are $400 and some are buggy. I don't want headaches or spend unnecessarily for overkill.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
One half of the equation is complete. Installed a Motorola MB8600 3.1 DOCSIS 32 x 8 modem. My previous MB 3.0 was bottlenecking due to Xfinity's upgrades. I went from 66 mbps to 120 mbps DOWN and 5 mbps to 12 mbps UP. Everybody on cable should use this modem. It is the best and for $150 it should be.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MB8...4&sr=8-3&keywords=motorola+mb8600+cable+modem

I tried to provision it online, but ended up calling customer service to get it working. FYI, I reinstalled my original Linksys E4200 router and had to refresh the IP because the new modem changed all its settings to 0s.

I also ordered a refurb Linksys AC2600 router from Amazon for $99 with free S&H. It was either that or a Netgear X4S. Both are dual-band Gigabit Mu-Mimo routers and the X4S has excellent reviews. The refurbs are better than the original because they get factory software updates to remove the bugs.

I was also looking at a flagship triband, but they often get buggy and turn into bricks because manufacturers are still working on the best combination of chips, radios and firmware. Plus they might be overkill. One of the best is the Linksys EA9500 V2 with a quad-core processor, but at $300 it's expensive. Another is a TP-Link AD7200 @ $350. I am not spending that.

So far just the new modem has been great. I also moved the router just a bit and elevated it. Never had coverage problems before, but now everything seems faster and better overall. As soon as I install the new router I will post results.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Did the new modem help? I have xfinity also.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Did the new modem help? I have xfinity also.
Buy that modem in the message. That is a good price @ $158 or look on ebay for upper $140s. You might score it < $120 as a refurb, but it is a superior product nevertheless. The 32 x 8 3.1 was a definite upgrade and works perfectly with Xfinity. Be aware I had to access the router with the CD to reset it. It only took 30 seconds, but it was still an extra step.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-MB8600-Ultra-Fast-DOCSIS-3-1-Cable-Modem/202238603978?_trkparms=aid=888007&algo=DISC.MBE&ao=1&asc=49924&meid=e55c815241f34fedb391bbdec69a3248&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=263514549608&itm=202238603978&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-U...050623?hash=item1a3c5fa43f:g:3TgAAOSwoVNaLDpa

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOTORO...455792&hash=item3b02560f8e:g:O7wAAOSw6BhajZyz
I can't wait to go to the Mu-Mimo router.

Last edited: