• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Busting handgun caliber myths

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The best caliber is the one you can hit consistently with.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I'll take a .22 any day; any f'n day. Nothing worse than being hit by a hive of bees.
.22 caliber was the preferred choice of mafia hit men in NYC.

Most hits were up close and personal with the mark not suspecting anything until it was too late.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I'll take a .22 any day; any f'n day. Nothing worse than being hit by a hive of bees.
I have a little tiny Beretta Bobcat automatic pistol in 22LR. It has a flip up barrel, holds 8 with one in the chamber and it never jams.
A 22 may not be much but I sure as hell wouldn't want 8 CCI Stingers pumped into my chest.

Last edited:

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Thanks for posting the video, got me thinking about a few angles I hadn't considered but ultimately I always end up where I'd rather have something than have nothing and for me it's a given, if it don't work, it's as good as nothing

and the rabbit pistols, saturday night specials? there's really nothing wrong with those weapons as long as they're maintained and they're not registered to you

They make for a great back up piece or a great throw-down tool and ya always have another set of prints on it other than yours

;)

I have a little tiny Beretta Bobcat automatic pistol in 22LR. It has a flip up barrel, holds 8 with one in the chamber and it never jams.
A 22 may not be much but I sure as hell wouldn't want 8 CCI Stingers pumped into my chest.

I don't know anyone who would want to be shot by any caliber.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I know and understand the effectiveness of a .22LR. And I have ten thousand rounds or so of them to feed my babies.

That said, my .44 Magnum has two major advantages for me:

1. If I shoot and miss... it doesn't matter. Ever stand forward (and to the side, of course) of the firing line when a .44 Mag pistol goes off? It will deafen and stun you.

2. If I shoot and hit... the perp explodes. There are a lotsa videos to demonstrate this:

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
On a side note in have shot and killed a few deer with my .44mag...no exploded and all ran off better than 75 yards despite being shot center mass through the boiler room.

Point being a perp shot with a 44mag will not result in instant death unless it is a head or debilitating spine shot....he will likely die....but only after returning fire....my advice empty the cylinder...

Edit....the only time I hear or notice my 44 is at the range....yes reading and painful....in a hunting situation I cant say that I ever remember hearing the sound..figure it has to deal with adrenaline/fight/flight reactions

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I ain't a good enough hunter to use a .44 agin a deer. :tex:
But I did use mine to do for a hawg. Sumbitch collapsed on the spot and did the "dead piggy breakdown dance". :beer: