• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Can the stock markets survive the Baby Boomer retirement wave?

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
1569343135169.png

Strawboss

Apocaloptimist
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have often wondered the same thing - but not just with stocks.

Housing
Bonds
Collectibles of all sorts

Everything must be liquidated to either pay for end of life expenses or to distribute to heirs...

78 million baby boomers...

Who is gonna pony up the $$ for all this stuff???

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
the assets will be divided between gov, heirs, and medical care

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Housing
Bonds

Everything must be liquidated to either pay for end of life expenses or to distribute to heirs...

I've done some of this...estate items have overwhelmed the markets with junk, pure junk

Dinner Servings? Take them out and shotgun them all, they are everywhere, they're all beautiful in their own way but they are not rare nor will they be in the next thousand years, there are just too many sets...

on and on and on...personal effects and militaria will maintain value, jewelry, some kitchen gadgets, electronics, new, in the box type, toys, etc...but these people collected everything, i mean everything...world wide souveniers and trinkets that are made of bronze, not signed and sold by the truck load, one at a time to world travellers, junk, melt most of it...

There was so much that was commercialized and mass produced, especially the 'collector items', they're not collectible at all

the list of over-produced mass made junk that people think is cute, pretty, better than other crap, at the end of the day, it's mostly junk, seriously...but, search it first, all of it...that's where I came in

It was profitable, now, it's only good for the mining, but, ya gotta understand what the 'base' of the pile contains, that will help determine what the 'mine will produce'

Junk...worldwide Junk

and the dump

just saying, it kinda hurts the first box of staplers you throw away, but the three boxes of staples that hit the bin are easier...it's actually cheaper in the long run to throw most of it away than to handle it any longer, it's a complete loss when you handle non-valuable items

:dog:

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

Housing
Bonds

To add to that how much is the younger set going to be taxed to pay for their health care? To elaborate on this one of my neighbors for example is on his second knee replacement. He has had and continues to have assorted back issues that no doubt run up medical bills beyond my imagination. I have not asked him directly but in conversation I get the feeling he is one of the "I paid my way with Medicare" set that feels they have paid for everything yet one knee replacement just may have absorbed every penny that he put into the system. Election time always results with political signs in the yard supporting the candidate's that promise the most giveaways yet, at the same time, are on the roles for tax relief to the senior citizens as they have no negative concerns on feeding off of their, and everyone else's, young. How sad it is that things have come to this because their parents were, as a general term, not like that.
A spoiled generation, of which I am part of, that now feels they need taken care of at the expense of the young.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Don't you mean govt, heris after govt takes another few lbs of flesh and the govt run health care system?

Maybe enyancare was about fleecing boomers not about healthcare.........

Usury

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Personally I think almost all collectibles will crash due to this. Younger generation doesn’t care for ANY of this stuff. If you have some I’d advise selling now while there’s any value left. Unless you have 80’s-90’s tech collectibles...

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Better yet...Can the baby boomers survive the stock market?
Not the ones who put all their retirement funds into that one basket!

Diversify!
Diversify!
Diversify!

Don't forget to keep some cash around too! SS isn't going to last much longer either

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Housing
Bonds

Agreed! There' only so much cash around
The kids can keep the house and rent it out for profit
Bonds are going in the same direction as stocks...bad investment
Collectables? Usury said it best above....all those plate, little figurines and classic cars will be showing up at yard sales on the dollar table. People will sell at any price in order to be able to eat

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Collectables? Usury said it best above....all those plate, little figurines and classic cars will be showing up at yard sales on the dollar table. People will sell at any price in order to be able to eat
ok, once again, this is where I come in...pick up assets on the cheap and imho, the collectible market isn't going anywhere, it's just being refined regarding and relative to, the mass amounts of similar material available for them to begin to collect...the real value will be in the selection of items off of that $1 table and as long as they're offering it up for sale, i believe i can overlook their need to eat, unless they want to barter for some canned chicken, that i can do

It's not going to be doom and gloom forever unless some natural cataclysm happens, if that doesn't happen, society will resurrect itself, there's too much that will be available to be gained, even poor people collect stuff...humans seem to do it 'naturally'...

If i can get a handful of Hotwheel cars for a penny on the dollar, isn't selling them for 50¢ each a real good profit? sure it is, pocket knives are always in demand, etc...
beanie babies, not so much so, i'm gathering my collection up and will probably donate it to some worthy cause, i just haven't gotten to it yet

eh, losses do occur, but lessons are learned...

what concerns me with the stock market is it can be, and probably is, being manipulated, daily

idk what it's going to do, nor do i believe the current valuations properly reflect the strength of any of these top-tier companies...

there should be arrests for manipulating THAT but, i don't suppose that will ever happen

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
ok, once again, this is where I come in...pick up assets on the cheap and imho, the collectible market isn't going anywhere, it's just being refined regarding and relative to, the mass amounts of similar material available for them to begin to collect...the real value will be in the selection of items off of that $1 table and as long as they're offering it up for sale, i believe i can overlook their need to eat, unless they want to barter for some canned chicken, that i can do

It's not going to be doom and gloom forever unless some natural cataclysm happens, if that doesn't happen, society will resurrect itself, there's too much that will be available to be gained, even poor people collect stuff...humans seem to do it 'naturally'...

If i can get a handful of Hotwheel cars for a penny on the dollar, isn't selling them for 50¢ each a real good profit? sure it is, pocket knives are always in demand, etc...
beanie babies, not so much so, i'm gathering my collection up and will probably donate it to some worthy cause, i just haven't gotten to it yet

eh, losses do occur, but lessons are learned...

what concerns me with the stock market is it can be, and probably is, being manipulated, daily

idk what it's going to do, nor do i believe the current valuations properly reflect the strength of any of these top-tier companies...

there should be arrests for manipulating THAT but, i don't suppose that will ever happen

I intend on scoring a few items from that $1 table too my friend.

keef

Пальто Crude
Midas Member
Better yet...Can the baby boomers survive the stock market?
74.1 Million Baby Boomers. The 1% have gutted all pensions/savings/wealth of America in the past ten years leaving in their wake neg interest bonds.

Leaving us with one BIG problem. We are all gonna be von Grettaled.

It's called SIMPLE MATH.

Now excuse me while I retire to the cigar lounge and enjoy the rest of this here cruise.

mnmom

Seeker
Seeker
Retirement?! Not sure most of the boomers know what it is. My dad thought he could retire, but he kept spending like he was working. I went over a budget with him and made sure he could afford everything. 3 years later he has to sell the house and pay off debt. He's sure pissed to be moving out of his home and into senior living, but I told him I wasn't helping him cover anything since that was what the budget was for. He was smart in his own way, but he sure relied on social insecurity to cover cost of living increases too much.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Personally I think almost all collectibles will crash due to this. Younger generation doesn’t care for ANY of this stuff. If you have some I’d advise selling now while there’s any value left. Unless you have 80’s-90’s tech collectibles...
Geeeez, I must have it ALL WRONG, am I collecting the wrong stuff ??? :don't know:

1570048227595.png

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

CrimsonGuardJay

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Never seen a more true post in my life. I grew up in my parents house after all, and all they’ve done for decades is antiquing. Buying at yard sales and flea markets and flipping on eBay.

The amount of junk there is out there discarded by boomers is staggering. Plateware as you states is ENDLESS. It makes me sad to see any young couple actually BUYING or requesting plates and silverware on a wedding registry... it’s just asinine!!!! For every newly wed couple, there’s AT LEAST 10 sets of completely unused, sitting in a closet, plate ware and silverware, FOR FREE. minimum.

I've done some of this...estate items have overwhelmed the markets with junk, pure junk

Dinner Servings? Take them out and shotgun them all, they are everywhere, they're all beautiful in their own way but they are not rare nor will they be in the next thousand years, there are just too many sets...

on and on and on...personal effects and militaria will maintain value, jewelry, some kitchen gadgets, electronics, new, in the box type, toys, etc...but these people collected everything, i mean everything...world wide souveniers and trinkets that are made of bronze, not signed and sold by the truck load, one at a time to world travellers, junk, melt most of it...

There was so much that was commercialized and mass produced, especially the 'collector items', they're not collectible at all

the list of over-produced mass made junk that people think is cute, pretty, better than other crap, at the end of the day, it's mostly junk, seriously...but, search it first, all of it...that's where I came in

It was profitable, now, it's only good for the mining, but, ya gotta understand what the 'base' of the pile contains, that will help determine what the 'mine will produce'

Junk...worldwide Junk

and the dump

just saying, it kinda hurts the first box of staplers you throw away, but the three boxes of staples that hit the bin are easier...it's actually cheaper in the long run to throw most of it away than to handle it any longer, it's a complete loss when you handle non-valuable items

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sept 24, this thread was begun, here we are, Oct 2 2019 and im wondering if the stock market is going to exist in the next six months, two days of multi-hundred loss'...but, pm's are down also...

Where we stop, nobody knows, for sure...

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member
Have to play the generation game in collectibles. Who’s coming into their peak earning years ....you guessed it. The kids who played Magic, Pokemon and spent their afternoons eating Doritos and chugging Mountain Dew while playing Nintendo.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The kids who played Magic, Pokemon and spent their afternoons eating Doritos and chugging Mountain Dew while playing Nintendo.
Haha...

*looks around nervously*

Luckily for me, bullion has filled most of the nostalgic slots in my brain. IMO pre 65 US coinage in BU condition that can be had not too far from spot is the only thing worth “collecting” (not to be confused with “stacking”)

Baseball/Magic/Pokémon cards be damned. I’d rather have an actual treasure chest... or a custom finished/Gucci/call of duty gun or rifle.

Last edited:

Strawboss

Apocaloptimist
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Geeeez, I must have it ALL WRONG, am I collecting the wrong stuff ??? :don't know:

View attachment 142566
Can you imagine the number of dumptrucks full of gravel that had to be processed in order to make those bars?
The amount of gasoline it took?
The depreciation on the equipment?
The labor?
The benefits?
The taxes?

Making gold bars is tough work...and expensive...

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I’d rather have an actual treasure chest... or a custom finished/Gucci/call of duty gun or rifle.
Me, a cold beer and a bag of Doritos, there's really no accounting for taste, but that's the entire point, finding what is wanted, mix in what is needed, finding what is rare, and selling it all to the highest bidder

Strawboss

Apocaloptimist
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
After my dad died - we opened his safe.

He had gold plated baseball cards he had been buying on QVC I imagine...he thought there were "collectible". He thought they had "value"...

They were junk.

But he kept them in his safe - thinking they were valuable and needed to be protected...

Imagine that...

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
don't have to...Thanks for the share, here's mine story:
Older woman, downsizing herself, no heirs, into a living facility, her 'crap' fills a storage room, $100+ per month approx, soon, I'm involved to alleviate this cost, and am told to organize the jewelry and dispose of it...hmmmm, o.k.

I figure out: QVC JTV and HSN were selling this old woman, not just one's, but two's and three's, of these rings / bracelets / necklaces / etc and pearls and loose gems than a store could handle, and it was all Rhodium Plated Sterling Silver, made in China and Thailand, stones as gawdy as you've ever seen, Freshwater Pearls, style and designs only an old lady could overspend for...and

Speak of overspend, she's paying $45 for a ring I can find, exactly like it, on ebay, shipped directly from China for 68¢, seriously, there are pages of these things on ebay, for cheap, there is no explanation how these can be made with 40¢ worth of silver and a 25¢ gem and it can be put together and shipped to me for 68¢, there is no explanation how this market works...at least at the ebay level, it seems to work just fine at the TV level

these programs propagate their profits outta the wallets of lonely people, and i'd suspect there's a psychological level they use, once they get to know the mark, er, the 'buyer'

notice: Stay Away from the TV

btw: my end results with this jewelry will be ultimately to get it all for 'free', literally a trade for my labor...ching

price averages out to about $100 per ounce
LOL

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter

I hope I have my marbles together when I get old.

Buck

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
LOL, in a completely sad sorta way, Yes, Exactly like that...