• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

CANtainer Camp

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I do like that car siding (Very nice rustic look).......and the cabinets really turned out good......sheet vinyl floor??.....

so.....whens completion slated for?........what are you using it for ..bug out..hunting cabin..??

really enjoyable thread!! .....like the gun hooks over the door :)

oops forgot to add...over 10" of rain here on the 15th for the month of july so far wettest july i can remember in my lifetime so far....its good cause we have had several sub par rain years

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
NICE! But it's way to purdy to live in, ya might mess it up!

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Utility Gap

Unless you want your batteries, propane tank, AC and generator outside subject to theft, you have to have some sort of utility room to store those items outside of the living space.
For lack of a better name, I'll call it the "Utility Gap".
It is a 16" or so space between the end wall and the end doors.
The shelf on the door to the right is for a Honda EU3000i generator. The propane tank is 25 gallons and there is room for 3 of them on top of the battery box, which has been designed sturdy enough to support them. The window/wall AC unit hangs out into that utility gap as well. There is very little wasted space.

On the inside of the wall are AC and DC distribution boxes, solar charge controller, inverter, digital DC voltmeter and battery charger.

Attachments

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
a inverter generator......:)..........i didnt ever think i would hear that from you.....but i think you will love it .....perfect backup/recharge setup.....

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
a inverter generator......:)..........i didnt ever think i would hear that from you.....but i think you will love it .....perfect backup/recharge setup.....
My Onan 6.5 KW is mounted to one of my barn containers and I'm acutely aware of the noise and vibration it transfers into the can.....so much that it destroys light bulbs inside it. Soooo...I figured I'd better get something a little smoother.

Attachments

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
i think you will be shocked at how efficient they are.........just keep good oil changed regularly/often in them since they have low oil capacities and no oil filter..........i put a oil drain valve on mine with a hose to the exterior no mess....takes all of 5 min to change oil-highly recommended...no failures yet...

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
My Onan 6.5 KW is mounted to one of my barn containers and I'm acutely aware of the noise and vibration it transfers into the can.....so much that it destroys light bulbs inside it. Soooo...I figured I'd better get something a little smoother.
We use these vibration isolators on heating units. They would probably work wonders for your generator. They also make vibration pads that it could sit on.

paddedimage300300-SMB.jpg

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Do you have a plan to cut vents to the propane/generator/air conditioning area or just have the doors open when you are occupying / using the area?

I'm still looking for a parcel of land, my mental plan I have had for years is to first put in a structure to protect utilities from theft / damage, perhaps I might go with a container and use the extra unused space to as a "tool shed" so I don't have to transport tools and materials each visit. These containers are more theft proofed from the start than most sheds.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Do you have a plan to cut vents to the propane/generator/air conditioning area or just have the doors open when you are occupying / using the area?

I'm still looking for a parcel of land, my mental plan I have had for years is to first put in a structure to protect utilities from theft / damage, perhaps I might go with a container and use the extra unused space to as a "tool shed" so I don't have to transport tools and materials each visit. These containers are more theft proofed from the start than most sheds.
Both doors will be wide open whenever using the AC, one door wide open to run generator, one door at least cracked whenever I'm sleeping inside. I welded on a hook and chain to put across the doors for security, allowing the door to be cracked enough for the dog to escape a large predator.
A modified or unmodified shipping container is really a great thing to have at a remote parcel of land. It could always be sold for close to what you have in it when you get around to building a better structure, which is likely what I will do with this one. Mice, kids and insects will not bother your goodies. I have left them locked for several months at a time and when I came back there was not even so much as a cobweb.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Looks good! Does that AC unit have a drain, they make water.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks good! Does that AC unit have a drain, they make water.
I have a drain hole to which I will attach a long hose as soon as I can find some kind of flanged fitting I can stick up there with a gob of silicone.

Cayshe

The roof is just barely strong enough for a couple fat men to walk and unhook slings (But a whole lot stronger than an RV roof). I heard of one in heavy snow country that colapsed.
Whoa--good to know. I thought these were often build into the natural environment too.

Cayshe

That's a pretty awesome & ambitious project. Just curious, how did you get it to the new location? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about doing something similar, but might need to have it shipped to where I am (kind of in the sticks). The only company I've found that does this so far is A1 Inc, who is mainly an vehicle shipper. I'm not opposed to using them, but I'd be curious what the other options are, if any.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I think possibly Hoarder is currently Banned......

to answer your question

i have a 20fter......its pretty easy to move....portable building movers do it.........car towing companies can do it.......container movers can do it....(they use tilt trailers with winches).......of course any company with a flatbed trailer can move one as long as you can load and unload...most have fork lift pockets ...and all i have seen have crane pick points.....you can figure a standard 20'er to be 4-5000lbs......and a 40'er to be ~9000 lbs...of course that can vary depending on actual size and construction

I have moved them to a site as close as we could get with a truck.....unloaded them then put skids under them and pulled them to much more inaccessable locations with a dozer etc..

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I sold my house and moved into the shipping container last year (while building another home). Just my luck, last winter was the coldest winter here in about 10 years. As it turned out, R7 walls and floors ain't much so I built another larger woodstove early last winter and it really made a difference. When it's 20f or lower outside, it takes a lot of effort to keep this can above 62. I just got in the habit of wearing long johns and wool socks 24/7 and it worked out fine. Burned about 1 1/2 cords of firewood.
As MNeagle suggested, the 300 gallon cistern was too close to the woodstove. When I ran my hand down the side of it I could feel distortion. I moved it over 8" and built a shield on the stove.
I painted the container with green oil base paint and built a canopy over the side door, which the wind has beaten the corners off of.
solar 011.jpg
solar 011.jpg
solar 007.jpg

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Your 100% right about r7 being inadequate......any plans to upgrade that?.....i have been wondering the results of this project glad to revive thread and get a update

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Your 100% right about r7 being inadequate......any plans to upgrade that?.....i have been wondering the results of this project glad to revive thread and get a update
I'm not going to upgrade. These cans are only 7', 8" wide inside on bare walls. If they were insulated properly all you would have left is a wide hallway. It's just a White man's teepee. It's still better insulated than most RV's. I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life in either one.

Another issue about cans that was discussed earlier is moisture. I think they really need more ventilation because I did get some drips during the cold of the winter, probably a total of about a pint through the course of the winter.
If I was going to do this again, I would drop the cieling down a couple inches (it's 8 feet now with less than 2" space above r22 ceiling insulation batts) and add vents.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Back in the 50s, 60s & 70s Quonset huts used to be the bomb. They were cheap and available military surplus. I have even stayed in some converted into hotels down the the Keys. Be sure to mount them on a stilt platform to avoid any storm surge from a hurricane.

My mom has one that was made into an hangar where she stores 2 personal prop planes.