• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

catalytic converter recovery

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
After watching sreetips's video on recovering platinum from catalytic converters I am interested in learning more and taking the steps to attempt recovery. Many years ago I was interested in this back when I was learning about the aqua regia process for dissolving gold for recovery.

I've learned on average a catalytic converter contains 3-7 grams of platinum depending on which manufacturer . It wouldn't take a lot of catalytic converters to get a ounce and they can be fairly easy to obtain. The amount of resources needed to extract seems minimal. What's needed is the know how.

I have no degree in chemistry. Science and the periodic table of elements has always interested me so that is motivation..I want to learn from someone who has already perfected it but have no problem learning on my own either. I just want to see if there is anyone out there doing this besides just scrapping converters but actually extracting the metal out of them.

I know platinum in catalytic converters is used to oxidize carbon monoxide. I don't understand why that function is needed and where does rhodium come into play?

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I'd check out the goldrefiningforum. Best place to start. I spent years reading and learning from that forum only to come up with the conclusion to let the pros do it, but don't let that discourage you.

needler

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I'd check out the goldrefiningforum. Best place to start. I spent years reading and learning from that forum only to come up with the conclusion to let the pros do it, but don't let that discourage you.
I want to be a pro. I'd like to get a degree with chemistry. But even if that doesn't happen I still want to learn. Thanks for the advice. Going to check it out.

Crazy looks like I was already a member with the same ID here since 2011. Told you guys I had interest back then lol.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I want to be a pro. I'd like to get a degree with chemistry. But even if that doesn't happen I still want to learn. Thanks for the advice. Going to check it out.

Crazy looks like I was already a member with the same ID here since 2011. Told you guys I had interest back then lol.
You have a day job? It's a lot of work. I know a gold recovery guy and he doesn't touch the cats because of the complexity but sells his cats as a middle man to a refiner.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
catalytic converters to get a ounce and they can be fairly easy to obtain.

yep.....a sawzall and crawl under diesel pickups.........dont know how many i lost from 1ton diesel pickups on jobsites over the years.......