• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

(CELL)PHONE POLL

What do you currently possess and use for your phone service

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tin cans and string

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Rotary phone - landline

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Push button phone - landline

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Some form of digital service

• Prepaid Cell phone

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Cell phone brick style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cell phone flip phone style

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Cell phone smartphone style

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • Cell phone other

• Some form of fiber optics

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Telepathy

• Banging on drums

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Smoke signals

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Walkie talkies

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I was interested to see current poll results on what One is using and what their thoughts are.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Smartass poll picks, just beg me.

In truth? I have a stupid "smart" phone and I despise it. I keep it because Verizon charges the same for a smart phone, a dumb phone, a landline phone. I have the budget account, about $30 a month. Same as a Ma Bell telephone (except that Qwest killed Ma Bell, after the Fuddrel Kourts dismembered her). US West is now Frontier Communications, and a very minor player.

But there's no bargains there.

I leave the phone at home, frequently. I turn it off, frequently. I'm cognizantly aware that what I have is potentially an evesdropping device, should Big Brother ever get unhealthy interest in my mundane activities.

Sitting on my desk, my stupid smartphone takes voicemail, records unanswered calls...and awaits my return. Since I can't use the phone on the road, or in the doc's office or a hospital...and it's rude with an insurance agent or realtor while looking at properties...it's best at home anyway.

If they get more demanding or require more upgrades or that I buy newer equipment, I will just do without. ANY phone.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Landline and smartphone but poll wont take both picks.

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Prepaid flip phone 4G piece of sh*t.
The phone programming was done by a retard.
$214 for 4500 minutes and enough txts to make one a millennial.
But, all services disconnected except txt and calls.
Best part... battery out when not using.
True metal duct tape over camera.
Track that beeeatchh !
Fuk 'em.

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Prepaid 4G flip phone from those scum bags at ma bell. 2 fiats a day plan. 25 fiat minimum payments every few months. Low usage.

Densus

Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Push button landline, Rotary wall phone and a TCL flip that is slow as crap (from Boost Mobile) that I had to get thanks to 3g going away back in January and it only halfway works at a north facing window. Only use it for emergencies. Once the prepaid funds are used up I'm done with that company.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
10 devices on my plan.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
5g POS, rotten apple, with verizon f****d service, drops calls 90% of the time. verizon sucks ******* !!!

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Push button landline
4G lte smartphone prepaid - Verizon plan, 5gb for $25/mo. Plan starts as $40/mo but with "loyalty" and "autopay" it drops to $25/mo. Had to get phone as old flip phone was 3G and they are turning that off in December

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have Xfinity phone service as I have their internet service our cell phone bill with them including the service plan on my wife's phone is $29 a month that includes unlimited data and unlimited calling the internet service however is limited so we don't use a lot of Internet service if we're out which we really don't need to we use the free Wi-Fi for in a place that has a Wi-Fi or we don't use it but for both phones and insurance plan on her iPhone I mean you really can't beat the price the caveat is that you need to have Xfinity Internet service which we have anyway we also have magicJack which I have not been able to get working for quite a while so I will be dropping the magic Jack at the end of the year because I had prepaid for 5 years and I've had it over 15 years but it seems ever since I switched modems the last time at quit working and they called them they told me I had to do somehow access the internal workings of the modem and I'm not that computer illiterate so I suspect that's not going to happen and I'll just drop the home phone line which we've had for gosh the 30 years I think but I am very happy with the Xfinity phone service but you have to watch your apps and things like that because some of them will update on their own and suck up your dad a big time and we don't get a lot of data with the plan that we have to get the cheap phone service

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Landline and smartphone but poll wont take both picks.
Edited for unlimited and can change vote. Had gotten interrupted and posted prematurely

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Have a land line, so when the internet crashes we can call uber.
Switched to Mint Mobile, $15 for 4 gig x 3 lines= $45 a month from Tmobile $123. Same Tmobile network, no dropped calls...I see no difference in service...go over the 4 gig and it goes up $5. That's the price for the first 3 months. To kerp that price must pay a year in advance. $540 versus $1470...I'll do that. My wife and I have never used over 3 gig.

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
$40 brand new 4G LTE smartphone off egay. Works well enough for me.

walkingnam

Reaction score
3g flip phone from verizon. Have been notified that verizon is going to be doing away with it in December. They have just started dropping calls on a game of chance basis even though they said that this will happen in December. Did december come early this year?

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
You didn't include mountain top beacons

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I have backup emergency hand-held radios.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Survivor
Midas Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
smartest of phones, tablets that talk, cars that talk, boat that talks, security system that talks, outdoor kitchen it talks too... garage that talks, if I could figure it out my lawnmower would talk... I'm sitting on the back porch, talking to myself.

EO 11110

(LOIS LERNER) GOT AWAY WITH IT
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
prepaid flip phone. approx 8 bucks a month. never use it

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I have a land line, but I don't know why because all I ever get on it is crap calls which I ignore. I have an old smart phone (I-phone 5) that Verizon tells me will no longer work after the new year. I just replaced the battery in it last summer too.

Realizing that I will need a new smart phone, I am currently shopping. I like the 5 because it has a small form and I don't want anything that won't fit in my pocket easily. Wouldn't mind leaving the platform, but don't know what to buy. My plan is Verizon, but I'm not married to that either. I keep putting off the decision.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have a smart phone. I held out until a few years ago. Everyone at work made fun of my flip phone. I didn't care. My daughters thought it was humorous too. One of my daughter gave me her iPhone when she upgrade. I don't feel addicted to it although I shutter at the thought of having to go back to using road maps. The GPS is handy. I also know my iphone listens to me. I play with it. I talk about a certain grocery store or vacation spot and like magic an add appears in Facebook with in a half hour.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have a land line, but I don't know why because all I ever get on it is crap calls which I ignore. I have an old smart phone (I-phone 5) that Verizon tells me will no longer work after the new year. I just replaced the battery in it last summer too.

Realizing that I will need a new smart phone, I am currently shopping. I like the 5 because it has a small form and I don't want anything that won't fit in my pocket easily. Wouldn't mind leaving the platform, but don't know what to buy. My plan is Verizon, but I'm not married to that either. I keep putting off the decision.
I want my landline OUT of here. Its nonstop calls, I even get weird calls in the middle of the night where people speak Chinese. Im getting ready to get rid of it.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

I useta get crap calls every day.

Then my Scottish Witch got with the phone company and learned how to put an "OK List Only" compendium of phone numbers. Works perfectly. When a crank call comes in, the phone dumps it after one ring.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I have backup emergency hand-held radios.
me too. Too bad I don't really know how to use them. My daughter programed them but that's as far as we have gotten. That needs to go on my to do list.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Takes three fargin minutes. Good luck! :show affection:

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
thank you!! I will check it out.
so this is what is going on
  • Camera & Microphone Access: Turn this off to prevent sites from accessing either your camera or your microphone without expressed permission.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
3g flip phone from verizon. Have been notified that verizon is going to be doing away with it in December. They have just started dropping calls on a game of chance basis even though they said that this will happen in December. Did december come early this year?
I too had a 3G flip phone, a LG 150 on Verizon. I kept getting "call cannot be completed", "no service" etc when the guy next to me on his smartphone had no problem. Yeah, I think they are slowly shutting down the network so that they are done by December.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
If you are a military veteran, or older than 54, you get something like 50% off with T-Mobile. Unlimited talk, data and roaming. When I travel internationally, the talk rates aren’t bad and data is free, so a lot of people use FaceTime or Whatsapp to call or Wi-Fi calling when available.

I have 9 phones and 1 device and pay ~ $240/month. I don’t watch much, but some members do and T-Mobile covers $9.99 of monthly Netflix charge under the plan.

I also brought two Ooma devices a long time ago, so I have two landlines that are free, and their international rates are fairly cheap. I think Canada calling is free and maybe Mexico too.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
prepaid flip phone. approx 8 bucks a month. never use it
I had that but when we got xfinity my line is free, restricted internet use when out though, paid under 200 for smart phone, was using smart talk like 20 a month

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
If you are a military veteran, or older than 54, you get something like 50% off with T-Mobile. Unlimited talk, data and roaming. When I travel internationally, the talk rates aren’t bad and data is free, so a lot of people use FaceTime or Whatsapp to call or Wi-Fi calling when available.

I have 9 phones and 1 device and pay ~ $240/month. I don’t watch much, but some members do and T-Mobile covers $9.99 of monthly Netflix charge under the plan.

I also brought two Ooma devices a long time ago, so I have two landlines that are free, and their international rates are fairly cheap. I think Canada calling is free and maybe Mexico too.
"Here's the story, of a man named Viking...
Who was busy with 3 boys of his own..."

wastrel

Mr. Negative
Site Supporter
Reaction score
in the dark, probably being eaten by a grue

There's a site GSMArena.com that has a "Phone Finder" search that lets you put in various features you are looking for in a phone, and it will give you a list of phones with those features. There are some phones included that are only available outside North America, so you have to watch for that, but it can be useful in narrowing down the number of phone models you might be interested in.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Cheapest "Smartphone" available through metro PCs.
I pay $50 mo for unlimited calls, texts and data with 5 MB of hotspot.

If I go over a certain percentage of data it's supposed to slow down but I've never noticed it.

If my bill is due and I don't pay it for a day I can still access the internet(unless I restart the phone) which is a nice perk.

I pay through their little app on the phone and just plug in the credit card numbers and, "bang" I'm paid up.

In all honesty it's literally one of the best services I've ever had and certainly the easiest to maintain.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have a prepaid smartphone.

Makes me a little harder to track by non government entities and no unexpected charges ever.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have a prepaid smartphone.

Makes me a little harder to track by non government entities and no unexpected charges ever.
What company/service?

Once when I lost my phone I bought one of those at Dollar general & God what a pain in the butt that was. I basically needed it to make one phone call and I think two was all I ever made on it before they found a home at the bottom of a drawer.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

I’ve googled myself and my name, address, age and old phone number comes up, along with all the people who live at my house.

I’ve deduced that the reason why my old phone number comes up and not the current one that I’ve had for a very long time is because the information is public.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
If it's what I'm thinking you can pay cash for it and therefore your name/personal info isn't attached to the phone.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score