• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

(CELL)PHONE POLL

What do you currently possess and use for your phone service

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tin cans and string

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Rotary phone - landline

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Push button phone - landline

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Some form of digital service

• Prepaid Cell phone

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Cell phone brick style

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cell phone flip phone style

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Cell phone smartphone style

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • Cell phone other

• Some form of fiber optics

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Telepathy

• Banging on drums

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Smoke signals

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Walkie talkies

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I’ve googled myself and my name, address, age and old phone number comes up, along with all the people who live at my house.

I’ve deduced that the reason why my old phone number comes up and not the current one that I’ve had for a very long time is because the information is public.
While looking at real estate listings and checking some data, links to my mother's name came up and one of them that I checked had a very surprising amount of personal information.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have an iPhone XR with Verizon prepaid. I purchased the phone outright myself.
Is that something you buy at a store like Best buy or Walmart or something? As I said in the post above I had to buy one at Dollar general and I'm sure things have changed since then. I'm totally out of that loop.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Is that something you buy at a store like Best buy or Walmart or something? As I said in the post above I had to buy one at Dollar general and I'm sure things have changed since then. I'm totally out of that loop.

I got it at Walmart if my memory is correct. I don’t remember exactly how much it costs, but I think it was around $300 or so.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
New Misty needs to buy a phone. His old one is broke to shit.

:don't know:

french fries and ketchup on a girls ass, wtf man?

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
New Misty needs to buy a phone. His old one is broke to shit.

:don't know:

french fries and ketchup on a girls ass, wtf man?
And this is the new one! Cracked to fark already. I'm a momo Luddite, what can I say?
I can't have nice things.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I'm down with string and cans, but drums would b cool on whifkey nights.

So? Do I have to vote?
Day-mit: I was laughing so much that I almost missted "smoke snignals."

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Going into the future kicking and screaming, that's me. Wish I could go back to the flip phone. Clip it onto my belt and carry it everywhere. Crawl through attics, in holes, climbing ladders. Was always there. Texting is my preferred method of communication because even with the speaker right up to my ear, clarity is lacking.

Granted, there is so much more that can be accomplished with a smartphone but I am constantly dropping mine, which is a kyrocera. Billed as the adventurers phone and supposedly water proof though I hadn't had a use for underwater calls :). Cracked the screen when it was a year old. 4 years later, screen is still cracked. Have a hard time taking a charge in the past year so I'm guessing the battery has been going. Great battery when new. Could use the phone for 2 days before charging. The camera on it sucks. I did get it through Verizon and paid a monthly fee. Now I pay a buck twenty a month for my self and the misses. There is a fee for the pleasure of having access to the world of VZ with 8 GB, which came in handy when all the kids were on it and then a 10 dollar per phone tacked onto that. Wife has an I-7 and is happy with it.

Still have a landline and I have Verizon for phone and internet. I still don't feel comfortable dropping it although my bank account says to do it. There is an answering machine hooked up that I use for caller ID. I never empty the voice mailbox so never get any new messages. What usually shows up on caller ID is a town and state along with the number. One night, my name along with the landline phone number shows up on the screen. I just had to see what I was calling myself about so I picked up the phone and greeted me. Got a recorded message saying my Microshaft account has been compromised. Hung right up on that one.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got a lot of options to communicate, don't pay anything, OOMA is completely free, $8 a month Tmobile, land line about $13, etc.
Don't need any roaming data. Just stop at a free wifi if I need data on the move. Why pay for something I rarely use? I can't imagine paying hundreds a month for a cellphone.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
iPhone 11, iPad 2 and faraday bags for each

i choose when to pop my head up

it bugs me to be tracked

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Realizing that I will need a new smart phone, I am currently shopping.
If you want to avoid as much 3rd party crap as possible, (tracking etc etc) look into getting an unlocked de-googled phone from Rob Braxman.

Rob is a security expert.

In case anyone has never heard of him,, here's a sample of some of his vids on cell phones and the type of content he offers.

Or get a Linux powered PinePhone. No google on it, either.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Got a lot of options to communicate, don't pay anything, OOMA is completely free, $8 a month Tmobile, land line about $13, etc.
Don't need any roaming data. Just stop at a free wifi if I need data on the move. Why pay for something I rarely use? I can't imagine paying hundreds a month for a cellphone.
But you don't make many calls other than 1-888-MOO-BABY & 1-800-COW-CHAT anyway....

What's OOMA?

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
$40 brand new 4G LTE smartphone off egay. Works well enough for me.
That's a heck of a deal and my kind of price. Any chance you can link me the seller or one similar?

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
If you want to avoid as much 3rd party crap as possible, (tracking etc etc) look into getting an unlocked de-googled phone from Rob Braxman.

Rob is a security expert.

In case anyone has never heard of him,, here's a sample of some of his vids on cell phones and the type of content he offers.

Or get a Linux powered PinePhone. No google on it, either.
Thanks Joe

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
That's a heck of a deal and my kind of price. Any chance you can link me the seller or one similar?
It's a "Blu"which is a generic Android. I got it on egay a little over a year ago. It's unlocked and I can use it with any carrier that takes a sim card.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It's a "Blu"which is a generic Android. I got it on egay a little over a year ago. It's unlocked and I can use it with any carrier that takes a sim card.
Thanks!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I do not waste a single moment's fear/worry/annoyance about some sinister group listening to my every clandestine utterance. What they cannot listen to is what I am going to do next.

Put your phone in a Faraday bag. That means the tracking/observation of you is shut down... temporarily... for that particular tracking method. It ain't the only one by a country mile. Thinking you are unobserved would be valid if you are in an underwater cave. Maybe.

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
I do not waste a single moment's fear/worry/annoyance about some sinister group listening to my every clandestine utterance. What they cannot listen to is what I am going to do next.

Put your phone in a Faraday bag. That means the tracking/observation of you is shut down... temporarily... for that particular tracking method. It ain't the only one by a country mile. Thinking you are unobserved would be valid if you are in an underwater cave. Maybe.
I'm realistic. I think bout it. I don't obsess over it or spend hours trying to figure out how to cover my tracks. I just leave my phone at home or in the car 90 percent of the time. I'm not obsessed or addicted to it.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I'm realistic. I think bout it. I don't obsess over it or spend hours trying to figure out how to cover my tracks. I just leave my phone at home or in the car 90 percent of the time. I'm not obsessed or addicted to it.
Good thing, becuz you cannot hide in an open room with a floodlight in the ceiling.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have been on prepaid with VZ for over 15 years. I don't understand the problems some if you have had with it. It works just like a postpaid except the cost is fixed; no monthly surprises.

@hammerhead You only need 9 months to get that $10/month off and autopay gets you the next $5. I have the lowest prepaid smartphone plan, at 5gb, but for $10 more I could get 10gb. Also VZ makes 4G flip phones. So you can go back to simple times. But underneath it all, I guessing you like your smartphone.

As for being tracked, just turn it on once, and a cell tower knows where you are. Forget the faraday bag, just keep it off and turn it on only when you need it. I actually turn mine off at night. No one is calling. Not that I would hear it anyway. And you get better battery life between charges as it's off for 8 of the 24 hrs in a day.

I purchased my Samsung A10e, 32gb with a slot for 32gb more, on ebay for about $100. It was a VZ prepaid phone that was never activated or sold. Brand new in a sealed box. So essentially NOS. It`s from 2019 so it only has Android 11. When I first turned it on it took 3 hrs to update over wifi.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
But you don't make many calls other than 1-888-MOO-BABY & 1-800-COW-CHAT anyway....

What's OOMA?
OOMA is a VOIP that came out years ago, you bought the device and service was free forever. However, the FCC stepped in, and at a certain date that was no longer true, you have to pay taxes. So people with the old school before FCC are grandfathered, they have free service. has a number, it records messages etc. Works great. To call Poland on it is cheap, if you don't call outside the USA there is no charge, I have never paid even a penny. They do have services you can pay for if you want, but I don't and haven't. I tried to take it to Poland and hook it up on the MILs interwebs, but the Polish ISP blocks the shit. So I brought it back and have it here still. That is the number I give to all the people I don't want to hear from again, like magazine PM deals, etc. I don't know exactly how long I have had it, but it is a long ass time for a free phone. It can of course receive overseas calls.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have been on prepaid with VZ for over 15 years. I don't understand the problems some if you have had with it. It works just like a postpaid except the cost is fixed; no monthly surprises.

Before unlimited data, if you went over your allotted amount you were charged, and I have had family members who have had very high bills for calling relatives who are in the military while they were overseas and the carrier wasn’t willing to wave or lesson the fee.

After a few times of getting hit with data charges I just went prepaid and never looked back, but I guess times have changed a little.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was a Tracfone guy for years, but work was cheap and and I needed more features.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good thing, becuz you cannot hide in an open room with a floodlight in the ceiling.
May not be able "hide" per se, but you can limit their ability to make money off of your data.

Also, the monitoring eavesdropping and tracking BS is just kinda creepy. If your neighbor tried doing it, they'd end up in jail, but anyone else just makes $$$ from it.
....and I'm ok with trying to shut down as much of that as possible.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
3g flip phone from verizon. Have been notified that verizon is going to be doing away with it in December. They have just started dropping calls on a game of chance basis even though they said that this will happen in December. Did december come early this year?

Verizon is dropping 3g at end of year in my state....ATT already dropped 3g im the same state 3 months back.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Before unlimited data, if you went over your allotted amount you were charged, and I have had family members who have had very high bills for calling relatives who are in the military while they were overseas and the carrier wasn’t willing to wave or lesson the fee.

After a few times of getting hit with data charges I just went prepaid and never looked back, but I guess times have changed a little.
Ok, now I understand. My first cellphone was a Motorola Micro T-A-C (think star trek communicator). It cost $200 back in 1995. I was on Cellular One. My plan was $30 a month for 30 minutes! Overages were $1 a minute! Talk was short & quick. There was no texting then.

Last edited:

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
My Faraday cage iPhone case

5AF7D647-A3BF-4A2C-B692-52A1CE9BD98B.jpeg

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I pity the slug or AI that has to track me using the cellphone. They have a very boring life.
Years ago, back during the invasion of Iraq part 2, I used to talk to my brother on the land line, we would each insert "trigger words" randomly into our conversation. Give the Feds something to do, keep them employed.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I pity the slug or AI that has to track me using the cellphone. They have a very boring life.
Years ago, back during the invasion of Iraq part 2, I used to talk to my brother on the land line, we would each insert "trigger words" randomly into our conversation. Give the Feds something to do, keep them employed.
That's what people can't get their minds around.

NO ONE is listening to you. MACHINES are - copying, filing, logging ALL information, in their huge Utah digital repository. It's cross-referenced to you - probably with (illegal use of) your antiSocial inSecurity number.

Should, in ten years, you become a candidate, or a public figure, or have other "official notice" - that data can be hauled out, and ANYTHING that looks like it can be used for ridicule, or to stoke Woke outrage, will be "leaked."

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

lol, I do that too.

DID YOU GET THE COCAINE????

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol, I do that too.

I liked using random words with an explosive connotation if you know what I mean, without any context.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what people can't get their minds around.

NO ONE is listening to you. MACHINES are - copying, filing, logging ALL information, in their huge Utah digital repository. It's cross-referenced to you - probably with (illegal use of) your antiSocial inSecurity number.

Should, in ten years, you become a candidate, or a public figure, or have other "official notice" - that data can be hauled out, and ANYTHING that looks like it can be used for ridicule, or to stoke Woke outrage, will be "leaked."
I don't care, they have zero power over me. I want nothing except to be left alone. I refuse to live in paranoia and I also refuse to take these clowns seriously. I know who and what they are. People GIVE them power. I don't. If I live the rest of my days in prison, I really could give a shit. Would kind of be an honor. As to being cancelled, this "cyber world" is rapidly coming to an end one way or another. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. They cannot even set up Trump using all their tricks. Think about that one. And he is an actual clown, and they can't take him down.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I love doing that stuff. And telling them off to their ear always helps blow off some steam. I can get into it sometimes.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I don't care, they have zero power over me. I want nothing except to be left alone. I refuse to live in paranoia and I also refuse to take these clowns seriously. I know who and what they are. People GIVE them power. I don't.
None of us knows what the future holds.

Who would have thought that Donald Trump, young yuppie developer-turned media star....AND an OUTSPOKEN DEMOCRAT...would change parties, easily win the Presidency - the first office he ever ran for - and then be turned into Public Enemy #1?

We don't know where our roads go. I was gonna be a lawyer. Then, a media writer. Instead, I was on the railroad...and retired early. I imagine perhaps elective office is in my future. Will my days as an itenerant railroader, with a normal amount of associated baggage, turn up?

It easily could. I'm not easily embarrassed, since I have no family...but they will probably try.

All my Gmail accounts, over the years...dug up and spread. I can bet on it.

How about someone else, with no intentions...is suddenly tapped by Fate, to rise up? A new Tea Party leader, or another new movement. A crisis manager...someone even here, I bet, has the combination of survival knowledge, leadership and good sense, to make a great leader.

We never know when it will happen, but change is afoot.

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you have a gmail account? THEY TELL YOU THEY SPY ON IT. They most likely all do, but GOOGLE tells you they are spying on that shit, and always have. Common knowledge.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
lol, I do that too.

Funny now, but when the A.I. algorithm flags your conversation?

Think about it. A truck driver asking about cocaine deliveries? That's how they'd interpret it.
...and bang, you're on a list that pops up on the troopers screen as you innocently drive by his license plate reader and end up with a wasted afternoon as they rifle through your stuff along the side of the road.

Coming soon!, in the World rapidly being created for us.

None of us knows what the future holds.
The future holds Skynet.

walkingnam

Reaction score
Muj wait until you're sitting watching tv and the phone rings and you caller id shows that you're calling yourself. that's a piece of phone company legend

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Why would you have a gmail account? THEY TELL YOU THEY SPY ON IT. They most likely all do, but GOOGLE tells you they are spying on that shit, and always have. Common knowledge.
Frankly at this point I welcome there spying. I'm not going to be intimidated by anyone and will search view discuss and disagree with whatever I want to and they can cram it in there treasonous gullets.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
This thread is the absolute bomb, it’s one explosive post after the next. You guys are killing me dead.

usually these words are treated as if they’re radioactive and going to disperse panic over several city blocks causing some bloody mass casualty event

It’s as if people think our simple posts would overthrow the government the way we talk about the false flag insurrection activity around here

(for avoidance of doubt, yes it’s sarcasm)