• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

China's Supercomputers

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
China's Supercomputers dominates the list of the 500 fastest supercomputers in the world.

For years, China has claimed the top spot on a list of the 500 fastest supercomputers. Now it dominates the overall list, too, pushing the United States into second place. Chinese systems now outnumber U.S. systems on the list by 202 to 144 — a reversal of the situation just six months ago, when the U.S. had 169 systems in the Top500 to China's 160. It will still be a long while before third-placed Japan overtakes the U.S.: It has 35 systems in the list, followed by Germany with 20, France with 18, and the UK with 15.

Supercomputers, mammoth machines that can occupy entire buildings and use thousands of processors, are useful for tasks like simulating nuclear weapons explosions, forecasting weather, designing aircraft and investigating the cosmos by reconstructing billions of year of the universe's history.

The top two machines both are in China. Sunway TaihuLight, at China's National Supercomputing Center in Wuxi, was clocked at 93.01 petaflops, (floating-point operations per second) or 93 quadrillion calculations per second. The No. 2 machine, Tianhe-2 at the National Supercomputer Center in Guangzho, scored 33.86 petaflops.

An IBM-built machine called Summit at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is designed to reach about 200 petaflops, double the performance of Sunway TaihuLight. It's in a 10,000-square-foot facility that's got a 20-megawatt power system for running the machine and keeping it cool. That's enough electricity to power about 16,300 houses.

Sources:
https://www.cnet.com/news/china-surpasses-us-in-supercomputer-usage-on-top-500-list/
https://www.techworld.com.au/articl...per-efficient-top500-list-shows/?fp=16&fpid=1

Way too much information:
https://www.hpcwire.com/2017/11/13/flipping-flops-reading-top500-tea-leaves/

Wow, notice the power requirements; 20-megawatt power system! Compare that to my dinky little 950 w supply I have in my daily driver — puts it to shame. We are truly falling behind the chi-coms in all areas lately, it seems. We're gonna have to have a great big war to straighten them out, eh?

BF

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The US is dying. We don't produce nearly as many great minds as we used to. That's by design BTW. We're going to get our asses kicked as time goes on if we don't do something to stop the communists taking over our nation and our youth!

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
China's Supercomputer: