• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Chinese Construction Quality

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
It’s like the Japanese in the 60/70s before Deming’s Quality Teachings

Corruption, inferior materials, shoddy workmanship

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Look back to the buildings the CCP built for the 08 olympiques the Birds Nest is falling apart.

They throw up buildings using indentured servants that work for $50/week, 6/7 days a week, and many sleep on sight as they are working 16+/hrs a day. The quality is suspect from the start.

The people of the country only know one thing, either be loyal to the government or face the same fate as the Uyghurs.

This is the same thing that the lefty commies want for Americans. Sit down, shut up and be thankful that Big Brother allows you to breathe.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Oh shit... that's a thick steel bar the guy breaks by just hitting the beam. I'm not sure how you would have metal that brittle let alone steel. I'm never visiting that Country, ever.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Site Mgr
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Oh shit... that's a thick steel bar the guy breaks by just hitting the beam. I'm not sure how you would have metal that brittle let alone steel. I'm never visiting that Country, ever.
Must be some kind or POOR quality cast iron & cast iron should NEVER be used as rebar.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Must be some kind or POOR quality cast iron & cast iron should NEVER be used as rebar.

I mean 0.4% carbon or 4% carbon. Its just a decimal place off. If that is actually Fe and C it has to be way above the 2% range for cast iron. I mean 30 yr old cast iron pans aren't that brittle.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Site Mgr
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Makes me wonder how their military equipment is put together. Steal/given our military secrets and make cheaper?
Think back to the 80's or 90's, we had a couple of 727 go down. It ended up that the jack screw in the tail was failing. It was made in chinksville & the metal was found to be way out of spec.
So WTF is Boeing doing subletting ANYTHING to chinksville ??????

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
It’s like the Japanese in the 60/70s before Deming’s Quality Teachings

Corruption, inferior materials, shoddy workmanship

The 1950s. Deming started his seminars for industrial leaders about 1960, IIRC. By 1968, both the auto and electronic industries showed tremendous improvement - the electronics, superior to those of the US. Sony became a household name.

By 1970, Japanese cars and trucks were fully accepted, at least as far as quality went. Buyers of Chevrolet or Ford-branded Japanese trucks, wondered aloud, why Detroit couldn't build their own engines as well, make them run as smoothly.

China will never arrive at this point. First, Chinese imports have been in full swing for over 25 years. It only took Toyota from 1960 to 1980 to have Detroit on the ropes. But the Japanese embraced competition, free markets, and Continuous Quality Improvement - through the Deming methods of statistical controls.

The Chinese have zero interest in that. If anything, their interest is to make the product as shoddy as they can get away with; as inferior as the importer that ordered it, will accept.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The Japanese, through a commitment to excellence, intelligence and hard work became an economic world power, in half a century. The Chinese, it was just given to them by American politicians and American big business, all at the expense of the American people. I don’t mind giving my money to the Japanese, because they will give me quality in return. The Chinese, I know I will get garbage.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Tofu-Dreg.
Sort of giving tofu a bad name.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Think back to the 80's or 90's, we had a couple of 727 go down. It ended up that the jack screw in the tail was failing. It was made in chinksville & the metal was found to be way out of spec.

Giving their execs bonuses and buying back stock.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Chinesium

Screenshot_20210717-083003~2.png

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Site Mgr
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
West Seattle bridge — built with chinesium in 1984.

West Seattle Bridge.JPG

On March 23, 2020, Seattle Depart of Transportation began a long-term closure of the bridge for emergency repairs after cracks in the deck were discovered during a routine inspection. The girder wall cracks had grown to 2 feet (0.61 m) within a month, while the hollow girder cracks had been noticed during inspections. On April 15, SDOT announced that the bridge will be closed until at least 2022 because of more extensive damage found. - wikipedia

chicom company won the contract for rebar, even though US Steel had a plant right at the foot of the bridge. US Steel then closed the plant after that.

BF

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Most chinese products are purposely built to low spec as a means to price compete. When buyers do not consider quality in their purchasing decisions it affects our markets when the price gap is so large.

But everybody forget the old axiom: "You get what you pay for" and in the case of china often very less.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Most chinese products are purposely built to low spec as a means to price compete. When buyers do not consider quality in their purchasing decisions it affects our markets when the price gap is so large.

But everybody forget the old axiom: "You get what you pay for" and in the case of china often very less.
Even more insidious.

CHINA - its false-front fake companies, run by the Party - aren't importing them. It's our Globalist oligarchs who came up with this Big Idea, to offshore manufacturing, and disregard the quality.

This matters. When the engineer Honda-san was building his motorcycle company, nobody - no big entity - was importing Honda motorcycles into Europe or America. Honda contacted little shops, and asked them to carry his product. Some of those shops were gas-stations or fishing-bait stores.

They did; and slowly, people bought and discovered a little machine of amazing quality.

Datsun (Nissan) likewise. In those years it was far bigger and ahead of Toyota. Nissan was rife with office politics, even then; and there was an engineer-executive who was in disfavor. Nissan wanted to sell in America but none of their people wanted to GO to that uncivilized land.

A brilliant engineer who became known as Mr. K in California, was exiled to the Big PX. He took it in stride; and found, immediately, the people welcoming...even though he only spoke pidgin, and was trying to sell a strange car nobody heard of.

But his job was to sell these cars. He recruited dealers - many of them shady....gas-station owners, used-car-lot owners. He offered them compensation on a per-unit par with American brands. This, to get their enthusiasm for the product.

AND HE LISTENED. The Datsuns of the time had many, many flaws - and Mr. K listened, did some field repairs which he taught his new dealers to make on new deliveries. He reported other flaws to the Japan home office, where sometimes they'd be fixed. But he was the bearer of bad news and remained in disfavor.

He didn't care. His new associates loved him, and he loved the life of California.

BUT. Point is, Japanese cars, trucks, radios...were brought here by the manufacturing companies, and had to sell on their own merits. And did, and quality was high and got higher.

Compared to the Globalists, who HIDE Chinese manufacture. Put American brand-names on them - Maytag, Chicago Electric, Pittsburgh Tools, Nike shoes.

The oligarchs and money-changers are driving this; and they IGNORE demands for better quality. They already have the market cornered. Japan did NOT - they had to COMPETE, and did, even after, by the 1980s, Japanese manufacturing costs were higher than American.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Lower grades of rebar is normally made from recycled steel usually railroad tracks and sometimes will act like this with hard and crystallized steel.....usually low grade is only used on non speced construction here in US such as residential footings .....higher grade rebar is specified for any structural concrete such as columns and piers such as what they are tieing for........it is obvious to me their rebar is made from a recycled uncontrolled steed product and has no business being used in structural concrete......also on the ties that break when hammered on the steel look to be bent to too tight a radius for steel diameter (bending error)

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I completely renovated a "fixer-upper" house (real bad shape) in France about 2 years ago.

I also bought "boxed-wardrobe wall-units" at a Big Box store, made in China of course. And curtains.

All the sheetrock is new. (Made in China?) Painted over (paint from China?)...

Anyways, I get allergic reactions (smell is chemical and blocks sinuses). I air it out regularly - and didn't replace the front door which has gaps to the outside that let in outside air...

I'm waiting for it to finish "airing-out", but so far, haven't noticed a reduction of the unpleasant "effects"...

Last edited:

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Chineseum - when words have perfect meanings

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I'm waiting for it to finish "airing-out", but so far, haven't noticed a reduction of the unpleasant "effects"
You're not supposed to.

That release of fumes and toxins out of the sheetrock and paint? It's not a flaw. It's a design feature.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I completely renovated a "fixer-upper" house (real bad shape) in France about 2 years ago.

I also bought "boxed-wardrobe wall-units" at a Big Box store, made in China of course. And curtains.

All the sheetrock is new. (Made in China?) Painted over (paint from China?)...

Anyways, I get allergic reactions (smell is chemical and blocks sinuses). I air it out regularly - and didn't replace the front door which has gaps to the outside that let in outside air...

I'm waiting for it to finish "airing-out", but so far, haven't noticed a reduction of the unpleasant "effects"...
The technical term is "off gassing".

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn more
Got it
Search

Off Gassing: What it is And Why it matters​

furniture off gassing

• By Adrien Lafond
Furniture, clothing and many other products used in households are exposed to noxious chemicals during their manufacturing process. These chemicals can be absorbed by various types of surfaces, especially porous materials, and many are classified as volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These substances are notorious for causing irritation and allergic reactions in humans, and have also been associated with more severe health conditions after prolonged exposure.
Quick Navigation
What is Off-Gassing?
How does temperature affect VOC off gassing?
Main sources of out-gassing in building interiors
How to control pollutant accumulation due to out-gassing
Why modern ventilation systems are ineffective against off-gassing
How to speed up off gassing
Conclusion

What is Off-Gassing?​

Products containing VOCs release them through a process called “off gassing” or “out gassing”, and concentrations can increase quickly in enclosed spaces. There are two main factors that increase the rate at which off-gassing occurs:
  • New furniture, clothing and devices contain a larger concentration of VOCs, since they have not had the time to release them. As a result, off-gassing tends to be higher in new constructions, after purchasing furniture, or after a major renovation.
  • Many chemical processes are accelerated at higher temperature, and this includes off gassing. According to data collected from multiple indoor locations with Foobot air monitors, the off-gassing rate is increased significantly during the summer, when ambient temperatures are higher.
Off-gassing has become a more relevant problem in newer buildings, due to a major change in global construction practices. Older buildings were designed to have plenty of natural ventilation and ample window area, which limited the accumulation of air pollutants; on the other hand, newer buildings are designed to be airtight, with the goal of improving energy efficiency. However, airtightness also creates conditions for higher air pollutant levels, unless spaces are properly ventilated.

How does temperature affect VOC off gassing?​

At Foobot, we studied the correlation between indoor VOC emissions and temperature. Our monitoring results indicate that VOC concentrations reach peak values during the summer, when temperatures are at their highest point in the year. The following graph demonstrates this behavior from winter 2015 to summer 2018:

Want to learn more about air quality?​

Off gassing: Evidence that VOC increase when temperature rises
Note how VOC concentrations fall below 200 ppb during winter, reaching peak values above 300 ppb during summer. This is very relevant information for building owners seeking to improve their indoor air quality – for example, if ventilation systems are controlled only based on occupancy, they cannot respond to the extra VOC pollution present during summer.

Main sources of out-gassing in building interiors​

Many objects commonly found indoors emit chemicals into the air, but some sources are notorious for how quickly they release them. Below are some of the main examples.

Off gassing is commonly happening in new products like wood furniture or couches, and carpeted floors.
  • Furniture made from particle board or plywood: Wood products contain formaldehyde, a VOC that is highly irritating for the eyes and respiratory system, and also a carcinogen. Particle board and plywood have higher concentrations of the substance due to their porous nature, which means emissions are less drastic with solid wood products or used furniture that has already had time to off-gas. Note that off-gassing slows down over time – wood products release formaldehyde for their entire service life, but most of it happens during the first year.

• Glue used with carpeted floor.

• Electronic devices: Many components used in electronic devices release VOCs, especially insulation materials with flame retardants. In this case, the rate of release is not only influenced by room temperature, but also by the heat produced internally when electronic devices operate.

• Mattresses, carpets and couches: When you purchase a new bed, carpet or couch, the room where it will be used may require additional ventilation for some time. These pieces of furniture are very porous and carry large amounts of VOCs left over from the manufacturing process.

• Paint: Recently applied paint releases VOCs at a very fast rate. As a result, the out-gassing effect from paint is significant in new constructions, and also in renovated areas that have been repainted recently. Just like in the case of wood products, the out gassing rate slows down over time.

• New houses, with fresh paint and wood flooring, hence are particularly prone to high VOC concentrations.

How to control pollutant accumulation due to out-gassing​

Like with most air pollutants, there are three main ways to decrease VOC concentration:
  1. Removing the source, or minimizing emissions if removal is not possible. For example, you can use furniture made from hardwood instead of particle board, and specify low-VOC paint for new constructions and renovations.

2. Increase ventilation to overcome the off-gassing rate. To accomplish this without wasting energy, you can control ventilation based on VOC measurements – running fans at full power 24/7 is not cost-effective.

3. Filtering VOCs out of the air. This can be accomplished artificially with air purifier systems, your HVAC system or naturally with plants** that are capable of absorbing VOCs. NASA published an interesting list of the best plants to control air pollution, which we covered in a previous article.
When emissions are controlled at the source or removed with plants, note that there is no energy expense. Ventilation requires electricity, but it is a necessary building system, so responding to air pollutants only comes with a slight incremental cost. Finally, air purifiers come with additional capital costs and operating costs, so the recommendation is using them as a last option when VOC levels cannot be controlled with other measures.

**Updated November 2019.
The decades-old claims about the power of plants to improve indoor air quality might be totally wrong, according to a recent study by the Drexel University. Researchers say that the experiments conducted in previous studies were done in lab-controlled environments.
According to their findings, in the real world, hundreds of plants would be required in a single room to come close to the air-cleaning capacity of just one air purifier.
Although we should be cautious about the findings of this study, it casts reasonable doubts on a generalized belief, and opens up a new and interesting perspective on this topic.

Why modern ventilation systems are ineffective against off-gassing​

Ventilation systems typically have a rated airflow that is determined by building codes, calculated based on three main factors:
  • The main use of the indoor space being analyzed.
  • Total floor area.
  • Expected occupancy.
However, building codes have been slow to address the topic of air pollutants globally. As a result, ventilation systems are not normally designed to respond to VOCs and other common air pollutants. A clear example of this are the design practices used for demand-controlled ventilation, where the airflow of a ventilation system is adjusted based on occupancy. However, this design approach ignores two very important facts:
  • Occupancy is not always correlated with air pollution. Some activities that are carried out by few persons release large amounts of pollutants; cleaning is a clear example, where many indoor surfaces are exposed to chemicals with a high content of VOCs.
  • Pollutants may be released when there are no occupants at all, and off-gassing is an example of this.
To guarantee indoor air quality (IAQ), ventilation systems must be capable of direct response to pollutant concentrations. This is only possible if ventilation controls are supplied with air pollution data, which can only be gathered with a reliable air monitoring system.
Volatile organic compounds can be very deceiving, since many of them actually have pleasant smells. As a result, human senses are not reliable for providing an assessment of air pollution. The smell of a new car is a clear example – many people actually enjoy the smell, but it is caused by harmful VOCs released from newly-manufactured components.

How to speed up off gassing​

When you enter a new car, it has a strong specific smell: that’s because of the higher VOC off-gassing rate. Over time, the smell will disappear and eventually you’ll breather clean air.
The same happens in a new flat or house. But since you spend so much time in your home, you may want to speed up the outgassing process. Here are a few ways:
  • Ventilate, either with your HVAC system or by opening the windows, by using fans etc.
  • Heat. As offgassing rate rises with temperature, a heater may be useful.
  • Let a new product air out before using it. This one is not easy, especially for a couch or a mattress. There’s no specific duration but the longer, the better.

Conclusion​

Off-gassing is a source of VOCs that can easily go undetected, since it is not associated with occupancy or with any indoor activity. There is evidence that off-gassing increases at higher temperatures, and it is more of an issue in spaces that have been recently built or renovated. Products such as furniture and electronic devices are also notorious for their higher out-gassing rates when they are new.
To control the accumulation of air pollutants, you need a ventilation system that responds to them, and this concept is only viable if you have a monitoring device that can detect pollutant concentrations in indoor air. Foobot offers VOC detection, and its measurements can be used to control ventilation and air conditioning equipment.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Lower grades of rebar is normally made from recycled steel usually railroad tracks and sometimes will act like this with hard and crystallized steel.....usually low grade is only used on non speced construction here in US such as residential footings .....higher grade rebar is specified for any structural concrete such as columns and piers such as what they are tieing for........it is obvious to me their rebar is made from a recycled uncontrolled steed product and has no business being used in structural concrete......also on the ties that break when hammered on the steel look to be bent to too tight a radius for steel diameter (bending error)
Chinese pot-metal.

I'm a motorcyclist and have been deeper into that world than I am currently. Back twelve years or so, CCP Inc., licensed any number of obsolete Honda and Yamaha and Suzuki designs for clone manufacture. Often they would mix-and-match - a clone Yamaha engine in a clone Suzuki frame.

...I mean, a Yamaha engine design? Those are people whose other half of the factory, makes PIANOS! They KNOW precision engine design. They did special high-performance CAR engines for FORD!

I saw a Chi-yamm engine. Blown up, dead. It physically conformed to the engine it was based on, but critical parts of the engine were made basically of stuff as soft as lead. I DO NOT THINK it was an accident - they had the Yamaha license; and they knew what Yamaha called for in terms of metals and tempering.

They CHOSE to make it garbage. To rip off those stupid Americans.

But...yeah...chinesium. Crappy metal to be used whenever no one is looking.

Made in a CCP foundary, used in State home manufacture; and then, when it collapses, it kills a lot of Useless Eaters that a generation earlier, would have been lined up in front of trench graves.

Some things never change. And this is the kind of government the Woketards are rioting for.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Chinese pot-metal.

I'm a motorcyclist and have been deeper into that world than I am currently. Back twelve years or so, CCP Inc., licensed any number of obsolete Honda and Yamaha and Suzuki designs for clone manufacture. Often they would mix-and-match - a clone Yamaha engine in a clone Suzuki frame.

...I mean, a Yamaha engine design? Those are people whose other half of the factory, makes PIANOS! They KNOW precision engine design. They did special high-performance CAR engines for FORD!

I saw a Chi-yamm engine. Blown up, dead. It physically conformed to the engine it was based on, but critical parts of the engine were made basically of stuff as soft as lead. I DO NOT THINK it was an accident - they had the Yamaha license; and they knew what Yamaha called for in terms of metals and tempering.

They CHOSE to make it garbage. To rip off those stupid Americans.

But...yeah...chinesium. Crappy metal to be used whenever no one is looking.

Made in a CCP foundary, used in State home manufacture; and then, when it collapses, it kills a lot of Useless Eaters that a generation earlier, would have been lined up in front of trench graves.

Some things never change. And this is the kind of government the Woketards are rioting for.
Interesting about the bikes. I own several Yamaha products as they are top notch whether it be a piano, guitar, drums etc. They are my preferred drums all day long because of the fit, finish, durability and overall skookumness.

I first learned of chinesium as a carpenter banging in nails. I often laugh to myself recalling my coworker and I driving finish nails into trim and they kept bending with ease. After a half dozen or so Phil yelled in disgust, "Who made these nails the Chinese noodle maker!?"

In that moment it was side-splittingly funny, but you had to be there to appreciate it.

So it was at this time that I started to look at the boxes of Fasteners more carefully and in time overwhelmingly concluded that the difference between the 52 80 year old Nails I was pulling out of old houses were many many many times stronger than the brand new nails coming off the boat.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
More details?
The whole house was getting a lead inspection. The guy doing the test had a unit similar to this.
https://elvatech.com/products/prospector-2/ Said the thing cost 30k back in 2007. Lead paint removal is quite the racket. The house was 40 years old and the back door came out as a positive reading as did the exterior window casings and sills.
Nothing else on the interior tested positive, just the pre-primed door that I installed a few years prior.

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Decades ago, I had Honda and Yamaha dirt bikes as a kid and as a youngster. The screws were made of terrible metal. I replaced my Yamaha 175 screws with decent hex screws. This was in the 80's. Have Honda and Yamaha been using industrial grade screws since then?

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Outgassing in some cases is intentional

That new car small is voc

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Decades ago, I had Honda and Yamaha dirt bikes as a kid and as a youngster. The screws were made of terrible metal. I replaced my Yamaha 175 screws with decent hex screws. This was in the 80's. Have Honda and Yamaha been using industrial grade screws since then?
I suspect that your screws were supplied by a dealer or previous owner. I learned to ride on a 1972 Yamaha street bike, the two-stroke RD350 Widowmaker. A screamer.

It was made to a price, and the drum brakes on it were, more a suggestion than a control; but that was true of all motorcycles. Disc brakes were a few years away, and GOOD disc brakes, like today's bikes, several decades off.

Made to a price, the best way that was known. For example, the machine had twin carburetors - basically, it was two single-cylinder two-strokes, with a divided but single crankcase casting. There was no throttle butterflies - the carbs used sliders, basically pot-metal cylinders like miniature window weights.

The throttle cable was a Y. Instead of a three piece with the mating of the cables open, it was all sealed. Leave it out in the rain a few years, as happened with some of the previous owners, and corrosion would get in. Which was what happened, and the replacement price was...not reasonable, I decided.

Hosing the thing down with WD40 didn't keep it from occasionally sticking.

But, it was mostly a quality machine, especially compared to Chinese machines like the CSC RX-3 adventure motorcycle, made in Chyna, marketed here by California Scooter Company. There, you have paint lifting, crash bars that break when they hit anything, suspension that bottoms out, connecting-rod bearings that fail and come apart.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The whole house was getting a lead inspection. The guy doing the test had a unit similar to this.
https://elvatech.com/products/prospector-2/ Said the thing cost 30k back in 2007. Lead paint removal is quite the racket. The house was 40 years old and the back door came out as a positive reading as did the exterior window casings and sills.
Nothing else on the interior tested positive, just the pre-primed door that I installed a few years prior.
Gawd the hoops they want you to jump through re: lead was enough for me to have 0 interest in that mess!

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I've known people that have worked for Boeing or one of their supplier(s). They have had aircraft parts sourced from Communist China.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
The technical term is "off gassing".

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn more
Got it
Search

Off Gassing: What it is And Why it matters​

furniture off gassing

• By Adrien Lafond
Furniture, clothing and many other products used in households are exposed to noxious chemicals during their manufacturing process. These chemicals can be absorbed by various types of surfaces, especially porous materials, and many are classified as volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These substances are notorious for causing irritation and allergic reactions in humans, and have also been associated with more severe health conditions after prolonged exposure.
Quick Navigation
What is Off-Gassing?
How does temperature affect VOC off gassing?
Main sources of out-gassing in building interiors
How to control pollutant accumulation due to out-gassing
Why modern ventilation systems are ineffective against off-gassing
How to speed up off gassing
Conclusion

What is Off-Gassing?​

Products containing VOCs release them through a process called “off gassing” or “out gassing”, and concentrations can increase quickly in enclosed spaces. There are two main factors that increase the rate at which off-gassing occurs:
  • New furniture, clothing and devices contain a larger concentration of VOCs, since they have not had the time to release them. As a result, off-gassing tends to be higher in new constructions, after purchasing furniture, or after a major renovation.
  • Many chemical processes are accelerated at higher temperature, and this includes off gassing. According to data collected from multiple indoor locations with Foobot air monitors, the off-gassing rate is increased significantly during the summer, when ambient temperatures are higher.
Off-gassing has become a more relevant problem in newer buildings, due to a major change in global construction practices. Older buildings were designed to have plenty of natural ventilation and ample window area, which limited the accumulation of air pollutants; on the other hand, newer buildings are designed to be airtight, with the goal of improving energy efficiency. However, airtightness also creates conditions for higher air pollutant levels, unless spaces are properly ventilated.

How does temperature affect VOC off gassing?​

At Foobot, we studied the correlation between indoor VOC emissions and temperature. Our monitoring results indicate that VOC concentrations reach peak values during the summer, when temperatures are at their highest point in the year. The following graph demonstrates this behavior from winter 2015 to summer 2018:

Want to learn more about air quality?​

Off gassing: Evidence that VOC increase when temperature rises
Note how VOC concentrations fall below 200 ppb during winter, reaching peak values above 300 ppb during summer. This is very relevant information for building owners seeking to improve their indoor air quality – for example, if ventilation systems are controlled only based on occupancy, they cannot respond to the extra VOC pollution present during summer.

Main sources of out-gassing in building interiors​

Many objects commonly found indoors emit chemicals into the air, but some sources are notorious for how quickly they release them. Below are some of the main examples.

Off gassing is commonly happening in new products like wood furniture or couches, and carpeted floors.
  • Furniture made from particle board or plywood: Wood products contain formaldehyde, a VOC that is highly irritating for the eyes and respiratory system, and also a carcinogen. Particle board and plywood have higher concentrations of the substance due to their porous nature, which means emissions are less drastic with solid wood products or used furniture that has already had time to off-gas. Note that off-gassing slows down over time – wood products release formaldehyde for their entire service life, but most of it happens during the first year.

• Glue used with carpeted floor.

• Electronic devices: Many components used in electronic devices release VOCs, especially insulation materials with flame retardants. In this case, the rate of release is not only influenced by room temperature, but also by the heat produced internally when electronic devices operate.

• Mattresses, carpets and couches: When you purchase a new bed, carpet or couch, the room where it will be used may require additional ventilation for some time. These pieces of furniture are very porous and carry large amounts of VOCs left over from the manufacturing process.

• Paint: Recently applied paint releases VOCs at a very fast rate. As a result, the out-gassing effect from paint is significant in new constructions, and also in renovated areas that have been repainted recently. Just like in the case of wood products, the out gassing rate slows down over time.

• New houses, with fresh paint and wood flooring, hence are particularly prone to high VOC concentrations.

How to control pollutant accumulation due to out-gassing​

Like with most air pollutants, there are three main ways to decrease VOC concentration:
  1. Removing the source, or minimizing emissions if removal is not possible. For example, you can use furniture made from hardwood instead of particle board, and specify low-VOC paint for new constructions and renovations.

2. Increase ventilation to overcome the off-gassing rate. To accomplish this without wasting energy, you can control ventilation based on VOC measurements – running fans at full power 24/7 is not cost-effective.

3. Filtering VOCs out of the air. This can be accomplished artificially with air purifier systems, your HVAC system or naturally with plants** that are capable of absorbing VOCs. NASA published an interesting list of the best plants to control air pollution, which we covered in a previous article.
When emissions are controlled at the source or removed with plants, note that there is no energy expense. Ventilation requires electricity, but it is a necessary building system, so responding to air pollutants only comes with a slight incremental cost. Finally, air purifiers come with additional capital costs and operating costs, so the recommendation is using them as a last option when VOC levels cannot be controlled with other measures.

**Updated November 2019.
The decades-old claims about the power of plants to improve indoor air quality might be totally wrong, according to a recent study by the Drexel University. Researchers say that the experiments conducted in previous studies were done in lab-controlled environments.
According to their findings, in the real world, hundreds of plants would be required in a single room to come close to the air-cleaning capacity of just one air purifier.
Although we should be cautious about the findings of this study, it casts reasonable doubts on a generalized belief, and opens up a new and interesting perspective on this topic.

Why modern ventilation systems are ineffective against off-gassing​

Ventilation systems typically have a rated airflow that is determined by building codes, calculated based on three main factors:
  • The main use of the indoor space being analyzed.
  • Total floor area.
  • Expected occupancy.
However, building codes have been slow to address the topic of air pollutants globally. As a result, ventilation systems are not normally designed to respond to VOCs and other common air pollutants. A clear example of this are the design practices used for demand-controlled ventilation, where the airflow of a ventilation system is adjusted based on occupancy. However, this design approach ignores two very important facts:
  • Occupancy is not always correlated with air pollution. Some activities that are carried out by few persons release large amounts of pollutants; cleaning is a clear example, where many indoor surfaces are exposed to chemicals with a high content of VOCs.
  • Pollutants may be released when there are no occupants at all, and off-gassing is an example of this.
To guarantee indoor air quality (IAQ), ventilation systems must be capable of direct response to pollutant concentrations. This is only possible if ventilation controls are supplied with air pollution data, which can only be gathered with a reliable air monitoring system.
Volatile organic compounds can be very deceiving, since many of them actually have pleasant smells. As a result, human senses are not reliable for providing an assessment of air pollution. The smell of a new car is a clear example – many people actually enjoy the smell, but it is caused by harmful VOCs released from newly-manufactured components.

How to speed up off gassing​

When you enter a new car, it has a strong specific smell: that’s because of the higher VOC off-gassing rate. Over time, the smell will disappear and eventually you’ll breather clean air.
The same happens in a new flat or house. But since you spend so much time in your home, you may want to speed up the outgassing process. Here are a few ways:
  • Ventilate, either with your HVAC system or by opening the windows, by using fans etc.
  • Heat. As offgassing rate rises with temperature, a heater may be useful.
  • Let a new product air out before using it. This one is not easy, especially for a couch or a mattress. There’s no specific duration but the longer, the better.

Conclusion​

Off-gassing is a source of VOCs that can easily go undetected, since it is not associated with occupancy or with any indoor activity. There is evidence that off-gassing increases at higher temperatures, and it is more of an issue in spaces that have been recently built or renovated. Products such as furniture and electronic devices are also notorious for their higher out-gassing rates when they are new.
To control the accumulation of air pollutants, you need a ventilation system that responds to them, and this concept is only viable if you have a monitoring device that can detect pollutant concentrations in indoor air. Foobot offers VOC detection, and its measurements can be used to control ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
Recommended for anyone concerned with the above :

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Chinese construction quality is like when I have someone that needs an engineering solution "quick cheap and safe"

you can have one of the three.

chieftain

Trump got them plump
Reaction score
The Chinese can make good products, if the IP, engineering and QC is foreign.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
The Chinese can make good products, if the IP, engineering and QC is foreign.
And if they adhere to the design specifications and material quality.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score